Pete Carroll expects big improvement from Gus Bradley’s Jaguars in 2016

Carroll Bradley AP

Pete Carroll certainly has a vested interest in the success of the Jacksonville Jaguars as former Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley tries to pull the Jaguars out of the AFC cellar.

But Carroll has been remarkably successful with Seattle since returning to the NFL in 2010 and believes that Bradley and the Jaguars are poised for big things in 2016.

I think it takes a long time and the formula that they have put together, it’s taken some time to make their efforts on the roster and going after the players and spending the money and all that kind of stuff,” Carroll said, via Mike DiRocco of ESPN.com. “I think they’re really going for it, and I think he’s laid the foundation, which he has a great foundation of what he stands for and all as a head coach.

“You could see them really improve last year. I think you’re going to see them take off this year.”

Jacksonville certainly has a more talented roster now than any time in recent memory. The passing game became an explosive threat last season with Blake Bortles, Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns making big strides. Add in a healthy Julius Thomas and the addition of Chris Ivory to pair with T.J. Yeldon in the backfield and the Jaguars offense could be the best in the AFC South.

And that’s before factoring in the additions of defensive end Malik Jackson, safety Tashaun Gipson and cornerback Prince Amukamara on defense or the return of last year’s first-round pick Dante Fowler, who missed all of 2015 to an ACL tear.

Carroll certainly has a basis for believing that Bradley and Jaguars are in for better fortunes this season. The Jaguars haven’t had a winning record since 2007.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Pete Carroll expects big improvement from Gus Bradley’s Jaguars in 2016”
  1. captainwhodat says: Mar 30, 2016 12:17 AM

My choice to win the AFC South…

2. bartpkelly says: Mar 30, 2016 12:34 AM

Offseason…everyone is a Super Bowl contender. However, I think they will make huge improvements as well.

3. aj66shanghai says: Mar 30, 2016 6:19 AM

The obvious retort is that there’s nowhere to go but up when you’ve been the worst team in the worst division in football for years.

I’ve never been to Jacksonville, I almost certainly never will. I think the team name is reminiscent of a peewee team choosing it’s own nickname amongst the players. I think their uniforms are hideous in design and repugnant in color. For all that, I like the team and I look forward to them not giving easy wins to Indy and Houston, thus keeping one of those undeserving teams out of the playoffs as a wildcard.

4. vikingforlife says: Mar 30, 2016 7:20 AM

Everyone could definitely see that Jacksonville made great strides last year, and should continue with their continued steps in free agency and the draft. We really didn’t need Pete Carroll to tell us that. I’m not quite sure what this article is saying?? If it’s about the Jaguars, let it be about the Jaguars, not “know-it-all” Pete. Please do not try to somehow give him credit for their success, because that is exactly how this article sounds.

5. xbox4wwe says: Mar 30, 2016 7:25 AM

As a Jags fan I hope for the best but I really think the one thing this team needs is a better head coach.
    Gus is a great guy but I just don’t think he’s a good coach. 12 wins in 3 years is terrible. I do like the fact that the Jags have stuck with Gus then being like the Browns and having a new coach every 2 years.
    Go draft all defense this year and start it with Myles Jack.
    Don’t get me wrong if they get in the playoffs this year I will go buy my AFC South champion tshirt lol. Go Jags!

6. jjb0811 says: Mar 30, 2016 7:30 AM

I live in Jacksonville. Their biggest problem is they get outreached, not lack of talent. At least 3 games a season are losses due to poor coaching decisions.

7. snowdood163 says: Mar 30, 2016 7:45 AM

Huge improvement. They might win 8 games this year. Which is pretty much the playoffs for jag fan.

8. steelerben says: Mar 30, 2016 11:23 AM

Jacksonville has been poised on the brink of respectability for a few season now. Each off season, you look at the improvements to their roster and you get a sense they are ready to take the next big step. Once the season gets underway, however, you watch them head down the same path where they can’t win close games, they give up big leads, and generally make all the mistakes that young football teams make because they are in a constant state of rebuilding.

If they can settle down a bit, get some veteran leadership going in the locker room, and figure out how to come together as a team, they could make waves. But, until I see it translating to the field I can’t get too excited. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

9. vikingforlife says: Mar 30, 2016 12:00 PM

I say, stay hopeful Jag fans, don’t give up hope on your team and shut up Pete Carroll before someone drops a house on you!

10. therillest says: Mar 30, 2016 10:14 PM

Jags fans are just about tired of the empty praise for Gus “Great guy” Bradley. Coach Bradley has not been a good head coach PERIOD. Can he improve? Possibly, but nothing about his 12-36 record…never beating a team that finished with a winning record or even coming within double digits of beating a good team in 3 years isn’t very promising…

With the playoffs on the line and facing one of the easiest remaining schedules in 2015, the Jags went 1-5 to finish the season…..getting essentially blown out in their last two game. Where is the progress so many speak of?

11. BigVinnyInJax says: Apr 1, 2016 10:35 AM

For Bradley this HAS to be the make-or-break year. The fans deserve better than a decade of irrelevance. And, frankly, Shad Khan deserves better. He’s been more lenient with the coach and GM than most other owners would be.

There has to be an epic improvement or Gus and Dave are gone.

This is almost a playoffs-or-bust situation.