Denard Robinson found asleep in car after driving into pond

Getty Images

Jaguars running back Denard Robinson’s July 4 weekend took a turn for the worse early on Sunday when the car he was driving took a turn into a retention pond.

The Florida Times-Union reports that Robinson was found asleep behind the wheel of a car by police responding to reports about a car crashing into a pond early on Sunday morning. Neither Robinson nor his passenger were hurt.

Per the responding officer, Robinson woke up and then went back to sleep after a knock on the window before eventually being roused from his slumber. The police report adds that both Robinson and the other passenger were reluctant to exit the vehicle despite the officer telling them that the car was sinking into the pond.

According to the report, Robinson was screened by two officers and found not to be intoxicated. In a post to Twitter, Robinson indicated that he fell asleep at the wheel.

“I just wanted to let everyone know that I was involved in a single-car accident on Saturday night, and thankfully, everyone was safe and remained unharmed,” Robinson said. “I thank God every single day for the opportunities he has presented me with and I’m grateful every morning to wake up healthy. I should not have been driving that late or when I was that tired, but again, I’m just glad that everyone was safe. God Bless.”

The Jaguars said in a statement that they were aware of the accident and are “thankful” no one was injured.

97 responses to “Denard Robinson found asleep in car after driving into pond

1. He was driving a chevy impala, probably carbon monoxide was the reason they both passed out and stayed out. Probably be dead if they didn’t crash and kill the motor.

2. Hmmmm. If I fell asleep behind the wheel I am certain that the crash into a pond would shake me to the bones and my alertness would come rushing back. Unless, of course, I was under the influence and had no clue what was happening.

But good for him!

3. I’m with myworldurjuslivinit……how do you drive into a pond and require law enforcement assistance to get out yet no citations are issued?

4. Something smells fishy!!!

Unfortunately… the police couldn’t differentiate a fishy pond smell from the smell that surrounds 99% of students/graduates from ann arbor.

5. These guys. Easiest job in the world (for them) and can’t stay out of trouble. All you have to do is the only thing you can do with minimal effort (compared to whatever else you think you might be able to do better). Say there’s absolutely no criminal wrongdoing here, how does one simply fall asleep at the wheel?

6. Apparently there are limits to his gratitude, since he doesn’t seem to find it necessary to actually behave in a way that reflects it.

Or as they say, actions speak louder than words or press releases.

7. You want to orchestrate a Touchdown drive Denard, not a Splashdown drive. Big difference.

8. That’s a good story, but it would have been better if he had woken up in the lake, then accidentally shot himself in the leg before falling back to sleep.

9. Just when you thought you have heard it all, the NFL players the gift that keeps on giving in stories that will make you scratch your head, well not anymore in recent years.

10. The officer managed to wake up the passenger to explain the car was sinking, but she refused to get out! She just attempted to roll her window back up but the officer was able to reach in & pull her from the car. The officer was then finally able to wake up Robinson and alert him to the situation, but Robinson (despite not being able to open the driver’s door, in 3 attempts, because that side of the car had already sunk too much), then thought he was still on the road and didn’t want to exit the vehicle!

No, no drugs here officer. Lol.

11. both Robinson and the other passenger were reluctant to exit the vehicle despite the officer telling them that the car was sinking into the pond

I can understand the driver being asleep, but both of them? Also reluctant to leave the car? Something is off…

12. I told him that one of those shoelaces would get caught on the pedals one of these days. Always tie your shoes when you drive, kids.

13. cribbage12 says:
    Jul 5, 2016 8:57 PM

But good for him!

Not saying this was the case, but it’s a possibility. Sometimes a car can have exhaust problems, and carbon monoxide can build up in the car, causing one to pass out!

14. How many of his motherless kids did he switch? I believe that is the universal standard, ergo the Jacksonvillle team is officially moved to London, where there has never been any child abuse, ever. Also, who cares about Jackonsville fans? ESPN will surely have 3-4 shows depicting how much Euro fags will buy Jags merch, regardless. Because, the NFL.

15. Dude crashed into a pond in Florida and went back to sleep?? This story would make a lot more sense if alcohol and alligators were involved.

16. I have fallen asleep for a min or two driving and it is definitely a scary thing. That being said, as soon as your tires hit that rumble strip on the hwy, you are instantly awake, at least for a minute. I can see someone falling asleep and crashing into a pond, but how the hell could you not be woken up by that and get out of the car? You just see you are in a pond and fall back asleep? Huh? Lol and what was the passenger doing while this was going on? Sleeping also?

17. “I’m with myworldurjuslivinit……how do you drive into a pond and require law enforcement assistance to get out yet no citations are issued?”

Were any laws broken, your honor?

18. I was just thinking a few weeks ago about how I’m glad the Jaguars’ players have been doing well at staying out of trouble. Then within a few weeks, Dan Skuta gets arrested for battery (claiming it didn’t happen, which I hope is the case) and then Denard Robinson falls asleep at the wheel of a car and wakes up to his car sinking into the pond like quicksand. Both incidents have the possibility of being very bad depending on updated information, but I suppose on the flip side both stories could’ve been much worse. Maybe they were both tired of playing by the rules. They figured it’s time to….steal the show.

19. Maybe they thought they were at Disney and were afraid of the gators?
    Anyways, looks like Gray’s competition for reserve RB also has some “sleeping” problems.

20. C’mon, everyone inexplicably drives a car into a pond, falls asleep, and can’t wait up. The ponds are all FULL of cars. Just the other day I was noticing there must be hundreds on this one pond alone–and everyone, sound asleep.

Maybe he was re-enacting the movie “Pscyho” or “Ghost Story.” Does anyone really think a professional football player who is off work for five weeks with NO supervision would do something stupid?

Uh, hello? Yo, hello? Anyone?

21. He & his passenger took a bunch of downers…The car is sinking & they don’t want to be bothered…The nonchalant behavior is downer induced….Duh..

22. The Truth says:
    Jul 5, 2016 10:11 PM

Sounds like something a Patriot would say, smh
    ——————————————————–
    really? That’s it? That’s all you got? Must be on whatever Robinson was on cuzz that took the brain power of the unconscious to come up with. Tee Hee, Ha Ha….a Patriot joke. How freakin original. Keep shaking your head till the fog clears, if ever it does.

23. With today’s new ruling, if he didn’t mean to endanger anyone by driving when he shouldn’t (even if it was intentional, he can now say he didn’t mean it), then it’s all good. Maybe he can even be president if he does worse things but doesn’t mean to.

24. It’s not like was Fred Taylor back in the day. No reason a cop would give him a pass.

That being said, I know in NY, technically one can be issued a citation for being over exhausted. Have relatives that are cops and I’ve not ever heard someone issued for this

25. There is no way it was carbon monoxide. If the carbon monoxide fumes from the vehicle were to the point where it made them pass out they would have went to the hospital after being pulled from the car.

26. It’s simple. It was Molly. When you are coming down, you can pass out like that and have no idea where you are, or care where you are for that matter.

27. zeke2517 says:
    Jul 5, 2016 10:13 PM

Were any laws broken, your honor?
    *******************
    Pretty sure reckless driving would apply.

28. @Floridaman on twitter will make everyone giggle, since about half the comments are making fun of Florida weirdos here. This account on twitter are real stories, just trying to spread smiles since this story didn’t involve anyone getting hurt, other than the reputation of Florida, again.

29. bannedfromchoirpractice says:
    Jul 5, 2016 9:05 PM
    *************************************************
    Thanks for the laugh, that was hilarious.

30. Not intoxicated…but July 4th. It’s called ‘The Itis’ people …. the mass amounts of good barbecue consumed, throws the body into the ultimate drunken state. Damn near puts you in a coma

31. Well they’ve banned 18 wheelers from parking overnight on exit and entrance ramps on highways. So all the good parking spaces at rest stops are taken. Where else can a man stop overnight to get a bit of shut-off if not at a road side pond?

32. This has got to be the deepest sleep since Rip Van Winkles. nobody but nobody sleeps through an accident like this and here we have two snoozers who just went back to sleep after the cops woke them up. no way they were not on something that made them sleep like that. if it was carbon monoxide they would not have waken at all. that gas stays in the system and it takes time to leave. probably some powerful drug they used at the party they were at.

33. So everyone assumes he was high? Even though police responded and he was given no charges for substances? Why wouldn’t they cite him for that? Any cop worth their badge would immediately suspect intoxication.

It sounds ridiculous that someone would kinda drive into a pond while sleeping and do this sober, but maybe he was having a crazy dream and didn’t think it was real. Sleepy people do weird things. Don’t assume he was high. People have committed murders in their sleep before, or at the very least, convinced a jury that this was the case.

Go back to your NRA meetings instead of pondering what drug this sleepy fellow was on.

34. @chetlemonbasketcatch says:
    Jul 5, 2016 9:10 PM

Where in the report does it say citations weren’t issued?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The initial report I heard on the radio said no tickets were issued.

35. As a black man…. I understand not wanting to get out of the car for police. That is all.

36. funndamentals says:
    Jul 6, 2016 10:05 AM

———————-

As a black man, you understand not wanting to get out of a car that is in a lake, and sinking?

37. Years ago I fell asleep behind the wheel (no drinks) and crashed. Believe me, I was wide awake after that and couldn’t sleep the rest of the night. Something’s not right in this story. Small town cops enamored by the big time football heroes?

38. funndamentals says:
    Jul 6, 2016 10:05 AM
    *************************************************
    Somebody tripped over the race card.

39. I’m not surprised… dude killed me in fantasy last year, soooooo inconsistent, not surprised at all.

Yup that’s right, I’m relating inconsistent fantasy production to strange real life behavior… there’s definitely a connection.

40. Is molly mda or mdma? Is it the same as xtacy or are we talking about something else…

Feeling old atm back in the day I knew these kinds of things.

41. granadafan says:
    Jul 6, 2016 11:21 AM
    —————————–

Something is definitely ‘not right’ but maybe you could at least check the link before posting. It happened in Jacksonville’s Southside area not some jerkwater town. Jax is the 12th most populated city in the U.S.

42. I refuse to speculate…hell…I wasn’t there and I don’t know. Not sure why CO2 wouldn’t apply here…may have been right before complete loss of consciousness. May have been difficult to rouse him and passenger. Sadly, we will never know – unless the car is repaired and an explanation is given.