Josh Brown: I’m not OK with my suspension but I have to accept it

AP

Giants kicker Josh Brown is suspended for the first game of the season as a result of a May 2015 domestic violence arrest. He doesn’t think that’s right.

Brown told reporters today that while he accepts that he will miss Week One, he doesn’t think that’s the right call, considering that charges were dropped five days after he was arrested.

“I’m not going to go into detail about anything,” Brown said. “My major concern is my three kids and the things that are put out there and the things that are being said. This moment happened over a year ago. The case was dropped five days after the moment happened. We’ve moved on with our lives at this point. While I’m not OK with the decision, I have to respect it. So I look forward to a 15-game season and moving forward with my teammates.”

Brown told reporters that he and his wife have gotten a divorce. He also said he informed the Giants immediately when he was arrested.

Despite the lack of criminal charges against Brown, the NFL’s rules are clear that a player accused of domestic violence can be suspended whether he’s charged or not. That’s what the NFL has done with Brown, whether he’s OK with it or not.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Josh Brown: I’m not OK with my suspension but I have to accept it”
  1. bucsorbust says: Aug 18, 2016 1:47 PM

Which is more than Greg Hardy or Ray Rice ever said, and I’m sure Josh probably did a lot less or even nothing. It’s about manning up.

So Josh, not another word, take your lumps, move on. And whatever happened, don’t let it happen any more.

2. spotsdad says: Aug 18, 2016 1:47 PM

Ya can’t lay a finger on anybody these days. The sooner people figure this out, the better off they’ll be. Especially rich athletes that stand to lose millions in suspensions, fines, loss of endorsements, alimony, child support, etc. Come to think of it, they’re better off with pro’s. lol. Maybe a group of them can buy a small island and stock it with women and weed. Just a spot to go to and unwind.

3. jonathankrobinson424 says: Aug 18, 2016 1:48 PM

……..What I want to know is how this got covered up for over a YEAR? I won’t debate the severity of the incident (he grabbed his wife’s wrist while she went for the phone) BUT why didn’t the NFL do something LAST YEAR? …you would think after the Ray Rice incident they would have reacted by week 1 of LAST year……No consistency in the NFL anymore………

4. thefootballgodssay says: Aug 18, 2016 1:51 PM

Win week 1 for Josh brown go GIANTS

5. patsbrat says: Aug 18, 2016 1:52 PM

Can we get one day without a suspension story?

Turd watch is up to 24 days without an arrest. I think we have had at least 24 consecutive days with a suspension story.

6. youaresimple says: Aug 18, 2016 1:59 PM

This isn’t in defense of anyone…but a lot of you do realize that in some states if a domestic call comes in…SOMEBODY is getting arrested no matter what, right? Just the way it is. I am not saying he did or didn’t do it but think about it, all that has to happen is your wife/gf say he put his hands on me and BAM you get arrested. That doesn’t mean you are guilty…just arrested. When they realize there is no evidence or it could be false, the charges get dropped. Who wants to lose money for that? The NFL should re-evaluate the language a tad.

7. donterrelli says: Aug 18, 2016 2:01 PM

“So I look forward to a 15-game season and moving forward with my teammates.”

Already giving up on playoffs?

8. danceformemarionetteboy says: Aug 18, 2016 2:08 PM

You mean you’re not going to cry and whine and obfuscate and threaten first, like cry baby Tawmy?

9. zeke2517 says: Aug 18, 2016 2:08 PM

Charges dropped over a year ago…

Let’s suspend him now.

‘Merica.

10. sdnative1904 says: Aug 18, 2016 2:11 PM

The NFL eats its own.

11. jag1959 says: Aug 18, 2016 2:20 PM

Step up, take your lumps and move on. Brown is fortunate with the current anti player climate emanating out of the league office that he was hit with a one game suspension and not offered a blindfold and a cigarette at his execution.

12. jredshoes says: Aug 18, 2016 2:23 PM

There’s a certain irony that a billionaire dollar business run by lawyers like Goddell like to ignore concepts of law like due process. He was charged and then obviously there wasn’t enough evidence to prove he did anything wrong. So why the suspension? The problem with that scenario is you can be innocent ( as in until proven guilty) and still be punished

13. jredshoes says: Aug 18, 2016 2:24 PM

There’s a certain irony that a billion dollar business run by lawyers like Goddell like to ignore concepts of law like due process. He was charged and then obviously there wasn’t enough evidence to prove he did anything wrong. So why the suspension? The problem with that scenario is you can be innocent ( as in until proven guilty) and still be punished

14. fishyinalittledishy says: Aug 18, 2016 2:46 PM

If all he did was grab her wrist God help us NFL.

15. ctiggs says: Aug 18, 2016 2:48 PM

wonder why the “more protection” against josh they say…….. hardy or rice?

16. NFLexpert says: Aug 18, 2016 2:49 PM

I can see a big-time ruffing-the-kicker situation coming in game two…you don’t hit women.

17. tim8450 says: Aug 18, 2016 3:00 PM

Well, some poor schmuck is out of a job week one so that the Gmen can make room for a second kicker.

18. packfanaj12 says: Aug 18, 2016 3:19 PM

NFL/Goodell is just trying to flex it’s muscles. Any bad PI false or true ends up being an issue for the players now.

19. crewchief15 says: Aug 18, 2016 3:46 PM

I hear all the Goodell haters always bashing him as if they would not do the same thing. REMEMBER he works for the NFL owners and they keep paying him mucho money. If your job was to police a bunch of millionaire idiots, which by the way is not a typical job, you have be an @$$ sometime. You would do the exactly what the owners tell you to do or you would not have a job, so stop whining about Goodell (he is just the Face of the owners)

20. lingsun54 says: Aug 18, 2016 4:05 PM

An employee has no legal right of due process when it comes to employee discipline. The NFL should suspend him simply because he made the league look bad. It’s no different if you work for a bank and you’re charged with shoplifting. You’ll probably lose your job even if the shoplifting charges are dropped. I have no problem with either one.

21. lingsun54 says: Aug 18, 2016 4:06 PM

I also have a problem with a wife beater/bully abusing a woman and then whining about the consequences. I’d rather see the perp in jail and see how much whining he does there after the other inmates find out what he did.

22. twtom11 says: Aug 18, 2016 4:37 PM

I’m a Giants fan but it sickens me the lengths fans will go to to shame and criticize the woman involved in a domestic violence case to justify cheering their players. I don’t know if Josh Brown abused his wife or not – none of us do, and it’s none of our business – but I will never automatically blame the woman or accuse her of lying just so I can feel better about him being on my team. This automatic blaming of any woman who alleges domestic violence is one of the biggest problems this country has right now.

23. insightfulcomments says: Aug 18, 2016 5:38 PM

I wonxer if the Soldier Field PA guy plays Smack My Bitch Up when Brown comes onto kick this year.

24. willycents says: Aug 18, 2016 6:49 PM

Strange that a kicker sets the example for how to handle punishment. The least “manly” person on the team shows how a “man” takes his punishment.

25. YouCryin?PatsMustBeDoingTheirJob says: Aug 18, 2016 9:40 PM

Good answer? I think?

26. thenyolive says: Aug 18, 2016 10:36 PM

danceformemarionetteboy says:
    Aug 18, 2016 2:08 PM

————-
    So, Brown’s ex wife testifies to twenty incidents of assault and you think he’s better than Brady. Ladies and Gentlemen, hater logic.

27. thenyolive says: Aug 18, 2016 10:42 PM

NFLexpert says:
    Aug 18, 2016 2:49 PM

——–
    Some news is getting out about this turd now, thank to some NY media (surprisingly). If it generates any momentum, I see Roger changing his mind after wetting his finger and pointing up. One year suspension with a statement imploring intolerance for domestic abuse. #Integrity

28. thenyolive says: Aug 18, 2016 10:54 PM

Where is the defender of integrity, John Mara, when he signed off on a new two year deal for Brown? What about the new coach, who said he would not tolerate domestic abuse? Rubber spines? Over twenty cases of abuse by the ex’s testimony. Wow. #Integrity indeed.

29. iamedreed says: Aug 19, 2016 1:48 AM

when a domestic violence call is made and the police show up, someone is going to jail, and by someone i mean the man

are we really going to act like women aren’t responsible, at least some of the time, for DV related incidents?

so now, anytime the police are involved with DV and an NFL player he is going to jail and suspended

that won’t be exploited by any opportunistic women at all…………..