Kaepernick says he’ll give $1 million to charity

AP

Colin Kaepernick says he’s doing more than just sitting out the national anthem to affect change in this country.

“I am planning to take it a step further, I’m currently working with organizations to be involved, and making sure I’m actively in these communities, as well as donating the first million dollars I make this year to different organizations to help these communities and help these people,” Kaepernick said Thursday night. “I’ve been very blessed to be in this position and make the kind of money I do, and I have to help these people. I have to help these communities. It’s not right that they’re not put in the position to succeed, or given the opportunities to succeed.”

Kaepernick has a guaranteed $11.9 million salary from the 49ers this season, so he will have made his first million dollars by Week Two of the regular season. Kaepernick did not specify which organizations will receive his donation.

Kaepernick kneeled during the national anthem before Thursday night’s preseason finale. He has refused to stand for the national anthem throughout the preseason and says he will continue to do so.

92 responses to “Kaepernick says he’ll give $1 million to charity

1. First million dollars this year, what about all the millions that you already have? Why wait? I don’t really care what this idiot does, his football days are over and he knows it. This is all a stunt to make the team and Kelly look bad if and when they cut him. Let’s just ignore him, he can fight for police brutality and oppression all he wants let’s just see if it’s that important to him when no one is watching him do it

2. Good for Kap. I’ve been monitoring the comments on here and it struck me that the very people that are tossing all kinds of vitriol towards Kap are the same people who express their admiration and respect for Muhammad Ali. A major major part of Ali’s legacy was refusal to report to the military when he was drafted. Most of America gave him hell for that. Absolutely hell. I have a feeling that most of the people on here if they were of age back then would be amongst the people tossing insults and vitriol at Ali.

It really takes a lot of courage to take a stand for something you believe in to truly take a stand with millions to lose when it would be easier to bot rock the boat and go along to get along, collect your beats endorsement money..etc…..not have to listen to people tossing death threats and insults…..

For that I salute Kap for doing what most athletes and people in general don’t do today….take a stand for something they believe in no matter the consequences.

3. The million would be better served getting him psychotherapy.
    Anyone who claimed to be against oppression and wears a Castro tee-shirt is either mentally ill or a moron.
    Take your pick with Kap.

4. Dont mind me. I’m just taking score here.

When he sat initially for the anthem, the rhetoric was that Kap didnt respect the troops and hated America. The troops then began to stand up for his right to free expression.

Then they said his reason was stupid.. so he made his words more eloquent and his cause easier to understand. Then they said he never gave any money for the cause.. so he reveals a plan to give a million dollars.

So now that you’ve run out of criticism for Kap and most avenues of critique are being closed for construction, now he should be simply ignored. because that solves problems.

But they call Kap the coward.

5. This guy has a heart of gold and a lot of courage. He’s going to have a big national following whether we like it or not. Who’s going to step up to the plate and top Kaepernick’s $1 million? Bill Gates? Anyone?

6. tim2200 says:
    Sep 2, 2016 6:17 AM
    The million would be better served getting him psychotherapy.
    Take your pick with Kap.

tim2200
    You couldn’t be more right. He’s against oppression, but wears a Castro shirt? Castro is a top 10 oppressor. This angle has not received the attention it deserves. It shows how poorly thought out this whole thing is.

7. See Kaep, there are people within the group that you’re backing that don’t seem to know they’re purposely being kept down by government so more money is thrown into these groups. Then, of course, there are sticky fingers with that money.

Pledge all the money you want. George Soros donated millions to BLM movement and look where they’re at now. Still the same position they were in before.

8. Police brutality is real, and it is unacceptable.

Take a deep breath. You can handle this fact without losing your minds.

9. Funny how he was only upset enough to do this *after* all the backlash…couldn’t seem to find the time to do it a couple months ago…

10. I really believe he means well but is a miss guided young man who doesn’t understand the proper way to handle the injustice he sees. He should talk to Jim Brown a man with knowledge who walks the walk everyday.

11. lifetimefan says:
    Sep 2, 2016 6:26 AM
    Does that include funds for the families of those employed in law enforcement killed in the line of duty?

Blue Lives Matter

—————-

They can use all the money generated from entrapment, selling stolen drugs, planting things on people and bull tickets for that…

12. It’s not right that they’re not put in the position to succeed, or given the opportunities to succeed.”
    ——-
    There’s that word again… Given. If you want an opportunity then Make an opportunity. Hard work will always pay off. Don’t give me oppression when the most powerful man in America is black. It may not be easy and it may take time but if you put the work in you will be rewarded.

13. But…he will keep the other 10.8 million this year…oh and he will write off the donation for tax purposes and really take home even more than he would with the 11.8 million taxable income…Hillary must be his agent.

14. tonyzendejas says:
    Sep 2, 2016 7:21 AM
    Police brutality is real, and it is unacceptable.

Take a deep breath. You can handle this fact without losing your minds.
    ——–
    This Is true for sure, just don’t lump all police in to that category. There are way more good cops then bad.

15. OMG. The amount of anger and outrage caused by this shows just how little most NFL understand about freedom and the men and women who have sacrificed everything for that freedom.

Do you notice there is absolutely NO outrage from veterans over this and yet everyone wants to talk about how he is disrespecting men and women of uniform. How many of you expressing this outrage actually served? Because every veteran I have ever known, including the one I was raised by taught me their sacrifice was so Kaepernick can do EXACTLY what he is doing without fear.

Get out of your media rooms and man caves and turn off the TV. You fools have been North Korea-level brainwashed. Seriously.

16. Pro-tip, guys: when your response to anything and everything is “BUT WHAT ABOUT _____?” or “I NOTICED HE DOESN’T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ______!” — this is known as a “red herring” argument.

It’s a deliberate attempt to change the subject or divert the argument from the real question at issue to some side-point.

In short, it means you have no argument against the primary argument. Come back once you’ve actually considered the issue at hand. It’s not all about you.

17. I doubt his sincerity. Why did he not do anything before, when he was on top of the world looking down at the suffering of those oppressed by police bigotry? Did he all of a sudden notice and say “whoa, those are my people you’re hurting”? I guess Rodney King was before his time and there were no other instances to take notice of since then. (sarcasm)

18. seattlecvd says:
    Sep 2, 2016 7:32 AM

————————————————

19. Isn’t Kaep protected by dozens of police during every game? The hypocrisy of these people is amazing. Like being lectured about my right to self defense by a guy guarded 24/7 by armed guards and who has a bunker under his house.

20. Well, this is a step in the right direction, and quite frankly, this is where he should have started. Everything up until now has been purely symbolic, and polarizing – in a bad way.

21. Wrong, I’m a veteran and I totally disagree with it. You are doing exactly what he is doing, lumping everyone of a group into the same category.
    ____________________

First of all, thank you for your service.

Secondly, I know very few veterans who agree with what he is doing or saying. But every one of the ones I know, and having grown up in a military family, it is many. Every single one of them would and do vehemently defend his right to do it. And that is what the discussion should be about. When did we stop feeling this way about our freedom? My way or the highway is NOT freedom.

Again, thank you for your service.

22. seattlecvd says:
    Sep 2, 2016 7:32 AM

That is true and this long time veteran supports his right to protest in how he sees fit. BUT what everyone is missing the point on is that even if we agree with that right we hate what he is doing at the same time. What I do not support in anyway is when he does things like wear the white pig cop socks. If he truly wanted to start making a difference that is not the place to start.

23. motleytrap says:
    Sep 2, 2016 6:07 AM

You might want to hang onto your money.
    ===============================
    Damn, it’s only 8:17 AM and you already won the Internet for today.

24. Just wanted to make this point since everyone is up in arms about the Castro shirt. My girlfriend has some extended family in Cuba, and she went to visit a few years back and stayed for a few months. She said Cuba is actually pretty awesome, and most of the people are generally pretty happy (and no, no one had a gun to their head making them say that), their biggest problems are due to the US embargo, so purchasing various products is either difficult or there’s no variety of brands. The people who denounce Cuba are the defectors, the “white” Cubans, who were the upper class until Castro took over. They left because they couldn’t handle not being richer than others. The dark-skinned Cubans who remain largely don’t have major problems with their government. I guess my overall point is to remember that everything you know about Cuba was sold to you by America. Always question the source of information and the motives that source has. I’m not a communist –I’m not an anything-“ist”– but the fact that capitalist countries have convinced us that capitalism is the only acceptable economic system, and that anything else is downright evil, is absolutely one of the most preposterous things I’ve ever seen.

25. officialgame says:
    Sep 2, 2016 7:27 AM
    __________________________________________
    So you think he should take advice from a guy that’s been charged with attempted murder,throws women off balconies,smashes car windows with shovels,beats his wife and girlfriends,has road rage,assaults police officers and refuses to accept any responsibility for any of it even to the point of going to jail because he didn’t go to counseling or perform his community service?

Yup he’s the guy I pick!

26. B. L. M. on line one…
    Al Sharpton on line two….
    Jesse Jackson on line three….
    Clinton Foundation on line four….
    ACLU on line five….

Do what you want with your money … this is probably the end of CK.

27. Giving $1M to the New Black Panthers or a similar communist agitating “charity” doesn’t seem to be altruistic in my book.

Perhaps he should give $1M to the poor starving Venezuelans who are the real victims of Kaepernick’s political persuasion?

28. First million dollars this year, what about all the millions that you already have? Why wait? I don’t really care what this idiot does, his football days are over and he knows it. This is all a stunt to make the team and Kelly look bad if and when they cut him. Let’s just ignore him, he can fight for police brutality and oppression all he wants let’s just see if it’s that important to him when no one is watching him do it
    -= -= -= -= =- =- =-

It’s still $1 Million, whenever he donates it. What have you done?

A stunt to make the team?

If anything, this makes it MORE difficult to make the team (coaches and the NFL don’t like this kind of distraction).

Furthermore, his salary is GUARANTEED whether he makes the team or not.

29. To the person who says Police Brutality is real….
    No DUH! 90 People shot to death in Chicago in the month of august alone. And we are focusing on how many shooting deaths by the police? The police are the epidemic…..right. Keep deflecting.
    BLM ……when it involves the police

30. The families of the 10 killed and 57 wounded (none by the police) in Chicago last week would be a good start.

Other good charities would be those for single moms and adoption services. Kaepernick’s father abandoned him when his mom was pregnant. Thank goodness for the family that adopted him! Otherwise, another unwanted child.

31. Ok, let me see if I got this right:

4 St. Louis Rams players protest by putting their hands up ‘don’t shoot’; we all get upset.

WNBA players wear ‘black lives matter’ shirts, we all get upset

Tommie Smith raises fist in air at ’68 Olympics, we all get upset.

Colin does not stand during National Anthem, we all get upset.

Colin donates money, we all get upset.

If you folks are bothered by the response, and not to the issues that lead to the responses, then you’re part of the problem.

32. Damage control charity is always so much less impressive than legitimate, from the heart charity. But hey a mil’s a mil I guess

33. He should spend the first $30 he gets to get a haircut. I guess he thinks that hairstyle makes his nose look smaller.
    And I’m not getting all giddy because he’s donating a million dollars to charity, either. Because why hasn’t he done that already if he were so concerned?
    I couldn’t care less how much money he donates to charity. He is still an idiot and he’s done nothing positive for race relations in this country.
    I wish he’d take his first million dollars and buy himself a palace and move to the Middle East where he belongs.

34. shadywarrior says:
    Sep 2, 2016 8:19 AM
    —————————————————————–
    The thousands that have died at the hand of the Castro regime might feel a little different.

35. @seattlecvd

When have you seen anyone say Kap doesn’t have the right to do this? I have not seen one person say he doesn’t have the right or suggesting he be physically stopped from doing anything. The first amendment doesn’t guarantee him the right to not be criticized for being a moron. Why do liberals not understand this?

36. “Krapernick” you can kiss my $$$!! You offering to improve your own tax situation by donating money won’t cut it. You need to do something for the community that takes up some of your golfing time.

Task: Start a Prep school for poor kids. A school where they come in early, have breakfast, and stay late studying. They will have to eat diner there too. Poor kids don’t get fed enough at home. They need teachers who understand their home situations. Kids need a safe place to study and have access to things like the internet and the library. You can throw in sports, but these kids need to catch up academically. They need to have their deficiencies documented and individualized instruction that catches them up.

Get some of your rich racist friends to pitch in some time and money to help! You have that business degree from UNLV – use it! Get your fraternity brothers to help too! Quit running your mouth and get to work!

37. To the person who says Police Brutality is real….
    BLM ……when it involves the police

__________________________________

Short version: go ahead and look up what “deflecting” means.

38. Just wanted to make this point since everyone is up in arms about the Castro shirt. My girlfriend has some extended family in Cuba, and she went to visit a few years back and stayed for a few months. She said Cuba is actually pretty awesome, and most of the people are generally pretty happy (and no, no one had a gun to their head making them say that), their biggest problems are due to the US embargo, so purchasing various products is either difficult or there’s no variety of brands. The people who denounce Cuba are the defectors, the “white” Cubans, who were the upper class until Castro took over. They left because they couldn’t handle not being richer than others. The dark-skinned Cubans who remain largely don’t have major problems with their government……..

————————————–

cool post, you should put that on the Cuban internet somewhere. Remember to send it to the National Registry of Serial Publications for approval.

39. The real villains here are Goodell and the owners for letting him get away with this. Now other players are going his protest against our nation and the police. If this keeps up the NFL will lose this fan.

40. “”The real villains here are Goodell and the owners for letting him get away with this. Now other players are going his protest against our nation and the police. If this keeps up the NFL will lose this fan.””

Yes, but if Goodel did something then all the NE trolls would be all over it that he was abusing his power– no win situation for him.

41. The problem I have with his original statement was that he focused on the word “oppressed”, which just is not the case. I mean, the POTUS is a black man. Oppressed? No. Now if he wants to focus on police brutality, you can’t lump an entire Nation in on condoning brutality, and not expect some backlash. Further, most of the people, not just black people, that are getting shot by police are doing so because they do not follow commands or they are carrying a weapon and not following commands. Should this happen at the rate it is happening, no? But, I have never known a time in history that an individual bucked the authorities and came out on the winning side. Fighting with them, in the moment, is a losing battle. The Corey Jones case is going on in Florida right now, there have been no violent protests, they are letting the case work through the system. The policeman has been arrested in that case, and I, for one, hope he is convicted. What I’m trying to say, the “system” does work (perfectly, no), and the violent protests, and going on social media cheering the death of policemen, does nothing but harm. But back to Kaepernick, if he wants to peacefully protest, that is certainly his right, but I think he could have handled it a bit differently, and had a lot more support. But, I think, until we address all the problems the cycle will continue, as it is all intertwined.

42. Now other players are going his protest against our nation and the police.

Oh no, how ever will our nation and our policemen cope if people decide to band together and peaceably protest?

You would’ve made a loyal subject to King George III.

43. People talked the same way about Ali when he refused to go for military service. Same thing when Tommie Smith held the fist in the air. Years later they are hailed as heroes. For some reason, our country seems to really come down hard on the agents of change. It is why they are so courageous for doing what they do. Agree or not, it takes a lot to put yourself out there like that.

44. Threw all of my 49ers gear in the trash last night. Deleted all the documentaries, games, etc. I had on my computer, emailed all friends and family and told them to make sure they don’t purchase me ANYTHING related to the 49ers. I am finished with this vile organization that has spit in the face of its fans too many times. I’m boycotting this team and possibly the NFL. You should too

45. followme2boston: Yea Kaepernick totally had to endure what Ali did. It takes alot of courage to take a “stand” just as your NFL career is ending and you have nothing to lose. Keep divisive politics out of sports. Kaepernick is a fraud and a locker room cancer and always has been

46. Now he decides to help communities only after he as been criticize for not doing any else but sit on his butt. What a hypocrite. Hopefully the 49ers will cut him and no one else picks him up.

47. Its pretty sad Americans are angrier about the a player protesting police violence than they are actual police violence.

The people pushing around some weak stat that there is no police violence against minorities are speaking about things they know nothing about.

48. Couldn’t just donate to a cause quietly. Needed to make a big I’m going to donate announcement. Big talk no action. Anybody can write a check. Try some sweat equity like police, fire fighters, and all 1st responders do.

49. At first I was about to afford him some respect.. thinking he was going to donate to Vets or something.

Then I see he has not identified the “charities”

I’m sure it will be some BLM organization that endorses violent uprising, or some Islamic organization which ultimately has roots in plans to initiate Islamic Law as the rule of the Land.

What a total Schmuck.

Oh, and as John Belushi famously said to Art Garfunkel on Saturday night live.. “Nice Hair”…

50. People stand by controversial figures (Ali, MLK jr, Malcolm x) once history has justified them and sanitized the risk of standing by them and exposed the people for opposing their plight as the ignorant fools that they were/are. Now I’m not saying Kaep is on the level of the aforementioned, but his cause is righteous. To those who demonize/slander him i say, history is watching. Just like it was in the 60s. Those who claimed they were doing the “Christian thing” when they tried to oppose civil rights have been judged by history as opposing the right thing. What stuff of the fence will you be on when history weighs in?

51. How much money and press coverage has Donald Trump, Sean Hannity and Bill O Reily donated to those unemployed Rust Belt white people addicted to Opioids? How many hours do they spend talking about it? The answer will shock many, just not too many republicans.

52. first I was about to afford him some respect.. thinking he was going to donate to Vets or something.

Then I see he has not identified the “charities”

The military is not the center of his argument. This has nothing to do about the military. Many people like you somehow place it at the center of attention for whatever reason.

53. How about instead of grandstanding and just writing a check, you actually DO something productive? Like emulate Demarcus Cousins, for example, who has set up a commission in his hometown of Mobile that will bring together cops, community leaders and politicians and local citizens to foster better relations and address the problems openly and honestly. Or, on a national or state level, get a representative to write a bill requiring an independent investigation at the state or local level when a cop kills a person or fires his gun? That would go MUCH further than simply kneeling during a freaking game as a BIG reason cops are let off the hook rather is easily is the local DA is gonna be very reluctant to bring charges against those he has a close, working relationship with.

But those kind of CONCRETE actions don’t scream “Look at me!” so I’m sure those are off the table for Colin.

54. For those saying he made a big announcement about donating 1 million dollars clearly didn’t watch the press conference. He was directly asked what he plans on doing. He also said that he would be involved in the communities as well. See people only like to point out the negative never the positive.

55. rpreisch says:
    Sep 2, 2016 7:29 AM

___________________

No, that con artist Trump is advising him. I’m hearing … people are saying … that Kaepernick is the only one who’s seen Trump’s income tax returns. Trump had to demonstrate to him how to cheat the system.

56. So much outrage from white America over what? Actually standing up for something that you believe in even though it will be unpopular and will likely cost you financially. This isn’t about respecting soldiers present or past. Its about standing up for something you believe and actually doing something about it rather than just turning a blind eye. Such actions are protected by our constitution are they not?

57. He’ll probably give it to black lives matter. The idiot! they don’t need money. Obama funds it with our tax dollars, and the Clinton foundation too. That’s if bill and hillary get enough for their pockets.

58. Awesome! Giving to charity…how noble! But…why only a million? I mean, if you actually care about the cause & this isn’t just about your career…why not go “All In”? Oh, I know…you just lost many millions more than a measly $1 Mil & your trying to save your own @$$. Shhh…I won’t tell!

59. Well that will make him famous, cause he certainly won’t be famous for any of his football play.

60. did anyone actually watch the press conference? they aired part of it live on sportscenter last night and he came across as extremely uneducated about the subjects and when pressed for specific examples he retreats into generalizations and straight up ignored tough questions.

The reason he gave for oppression by police is “racist” text messages between officers, and then said he wouldn’t stop sitting for the national anthem until we reached equality

can anyone show me where we don’t have equality? im specifically talking about equality of opportunity (which is the only thing that should be legislated) and not equality of results

61. It appears to me white men in this country are finally starting to feel like the rest of America. It cracks me up when people say this country is too PC. But its only when it fits “their” narrative.
    Kap is not being too PC yet you all are upset. lol. Welcome to the NEW America. No one is afraid anymore. People are down right upset. (Blacks and alot of Whites alike ARE UPSET at this madness)
    There is enough black on black crime in this country. I can admit to that…but how can you tackle that issue when the very people that are supposed to serve AND protect the policies of civil government are also killing black men in their own communities. Then the very prosecutors that are prosecuting the cases are their colleagues in a lot of cases? What?

They get to take a paid vacation while the fake investigation goes on and then they are cleared of all charges and life goes on for them becasue they were “in fear of their lives”. The standard one liner.

I have heard there are only a few bad cops out there…well, the cops that know what the bad cops are doing but not saying anything are equally as bad. TRUTH!

62. They get to take a paid vacation while the fake investigation goes on and then they are cleared of all charges and life goes on for them…

Where was your righteous outrage when this exact thing occurred with Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy?

I’m glad that you can admit there is black-on-black crime, but you seem to imply that it’s ok – or better than – police brutality…a viewpoint which only someone with an agenda would try to push.

63. Why didn’t he just make donations to begin with if he was aware of the ongoing issues? Oh yeah, that’s right because he wanted to make it all about HIM.

How long has the black lives matter movement taken center stage? Years. Where was this clown the entire time? It is almost like he finally watched the news or read the newspaper for the first time and all of a sudden he is going hard on it 150%. He just comes off as an uneducated fraud.

The pig socks and the Castro shirt illustrate just how delusional and clueless this guy really is.

64. Good for him to give money.

Hopefully it’s to an actual charity and not a hate group.

But until policies enacted by Obama and African American are changed (and no, that Hillary woman won’t change them), expect everything to get worse.

Too bad you used your platform to promote racism, by calling these policy problems, white racism.

65. You mean to tell me hardworking black Americans don’t leave the bad “communities” for the same reason the hard working white americans do? And why do these communities need handouts and babysitters? Just bizarre.

66. This dude is just a dumb socialist. He will say he isn’t because he doesnt understand it. Why would a “community” that takes handouts left and right and barely pays taxes flourish? This is for every failing crime ridden city.

67. He has every right under the Constitution to do what he is doing. That’s fine. He has a right to speak his mind about injustice. That’s fine. Now that he’s spoken, what has he done really?

HE is getting quite a bit of attention. People are talking about HIM not about the problems facing this nation. To me this is more about him using this as leverage to keep his job (NFL reluctant to cut him because of all this attention.

This whole situation just makes me sad. Weeks ago, in his home town of Milwaukee there was a police shooting, rioting, destruction of property and community unrest. In the aftermath the community has been rallying together, musicians have come, educators have come, other not so high profile celebrities have come to speak with the youth, to guide them. Community groups have formed, there is a weekly meeting with community members and the police. Parents and neighbors have volunteered to be at the schools to help kids and watch out for them. None of this has gained the national spotlight, not like the nights of the unrest. The city is coming together for the kids and their futures. But tell me, where was Colin? This is his city, where is he? Instead of taking the limelight and prostrating for the media and the cameras, why not just come home and help. Does he have any idea what that would mean to those kids? Sure he might not get the publicity he’s getting now but what is the real point? To make noise, a gesture, or to affect real change in a way only he could give his stature in the eyes of the kids that need help now more than ever. It’s just sad to think how powerful his message would have been had he reached out in his own community to make a difference…

68. Yes he may have the right to petition but that doesn’t mean he’s doing it in the right way.
    He is choosing to sit during the national anthem and disrespect all, not just rouge cops b it all cops and people who fought and still fight for our nation. If he were in any other country he wouldn’t even be able to play football or make as much money as he does. His cause is great but the real question is if people are long more at his cause or whether he is being disrespectful. He could petition in so many other and more efficient ways like going to schools and police academies and give speeches about how black lives matter. He is donating less than 50% of his income of 11. 9 million dollars. Is just the wrong way to petition