Josh Sitton: Signing with Bears not about “sticking it to” Packers

GREEN BAY, WI - SEPTEMBER 20:  Guard Josh Sitton #71 of the Green Bay Packers following the NFL game against the Seattle Seahawks at Lambeau Field on September 20, 2015 in Green Bay, Wisconsin.  The Packers defeated the Seahawks 27-17.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images) Getty Images

Guard Josh Sitton moved teams over the weekend, signing with the Bears after his surprising release from the Packers after eight years in Green Bay.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said a lot of things went into the decision without specifying what any of them were, although word from Green Bay is that Sitton wasn’t thrilled with the Packers’ lack of desire to sign him to a new contract with his deal set to expire after the 2016 season. The Bears gave Sitton a three-year deal with $10 million in guaranteed money, taking care of the issue of providing some certainty about his future.

It also gave him the chance to face the Packers twice a season, although Sitton said on Monday that a chance to show Green Bay it made a mistake wasn’t the reason why he now calls Chicago home.

“I wanted to get the decision made yesterday or today, as quickly as I can,” Sitton said, via the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “I wanted to get to where I was going and be able to learn the offense and be able to jump in right this week. The longer it took, the harder it would have been to learn the offense. Chicago, they had me in first, and they got it done first. … Honestly, it didn’t have anything to do with sticking it to the Packers. More familiar with the division, close to where I was.”

It may not have been the primary reason that Sitton decided to sign on with Chicago, but it’s not a bad potential bonus to have as part of the package.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Josh Sitton: Signing with Bears not about “sticking it to” Packers”
  1. sphincterorleaveher says: Sep 5, 2016 5:17 PM

He wasn’t Joshin’ when he said he wasn’t taking the cut Sitton down.

Ouch, I think I pulled a hammy with that bad dad joke.

2. dezno24 says: Sep 5, 2016 5:18 PM

When they say it doesnt have anything to do with it, it usually is!

3. mrcmos says: Sep 5, 2016 5:18 PM

For some reason, I believe Josh.
    He wanted a deal done ASAP. I’m pretty sure that if the Texans, chargers, etc. did what Da Bearse did, he would be playing for them.

I wish him the best no matter what team he plays for. Hopefully twice a year he has a mediocre game against us.

Yes, it is Us. I own a piece of paper valued at $250.00 called Packer Stock. It is just like any other piece of stuff I buy with the Packers name on it.

4. pftreader69 says: Sep 5, 2016 5:22 PM

Unless it is.

5. liontuss says: Sep 5, 2016 5:22 PM

Lions fan. Glad we went young on the OL, but would have been nice to have him. Still gotta face him twice though. Our youngins better develop quicky!

6. longtimefanh8tr says: Sep 5, 2016 5:23 PM

He has more class than the guy who cut him.

7. skol4life says: Sep 5, 2016 5:26 PM

TT thinks all pro guards fall out of trees apparently. Three chin Mike doesn’t even try to spin it. Then the Bears sign him. Hilarious!!

8. gbbvan says: Sep 5, 2016 5:28 PM

Packer owner and a fan of Josh, why not shop yourself a few days and see what’s out there?

Maybe even a contender!

9. ariani1985 says: Sep 5, 2016 5:29 PM

Hey Josh, your QB was a red carpet diva, we believe you, “wink , wink”!

10. clear2me says: Sep 5, 2016 5:31 PM

@mrcmos…$250.00 value or cost? I can see where it can make you seem like an owner…but really? If you have to use a disclaimer for claiming “us” maybe it sort of devalues that piece of paper?

11. lindacaseauthor says: Sep 5, 2016 5:39 PM

Ur a bad liar, Josh. I bet u already bought the Ted Thompson dart board from Brett Favre.

12. judalation says: Sep 5, 2016 5:42 PM

Bull… He would have a easier time learning the offense from the Giants as the offensive coordinator and coach were running the same offense in Green bay… (salty)

13. shaggytoodle says: Sep 5, 2016 5:45 PM

He was in the last year of his contract and wanted an extension, for security. I understand it, I also understand GB can’t have a player grumbling about his contract, when 2 other linemen and Lacy also do.

I am just glad they kept it in house, unlike Bosa and the Chargers.

14. rtl1984 says: Sep 5, 2016 5:50 PM

I’m sure most of it had to do with the money he was offered, and is secured better than a contract year.

But, I’m sure that playing his former team twice had at least a LITTLE bit of something to do with it…

15. eagleswin says: Sep 5, 2016 5:56 PM

Josh Sitton is no Brett Favre. Thankfully. If he was he would go on a foolish and public crusade to make the Packers pay for not giving him a lifetime contract to play for the Pack.

16. dukeblue12 says: Sep 5, 2016 6:03 PM

Even if he’s lying, who cares? He certainly doesn’t owe GB anything.

17. mazenblue says: Sep 5, 2016 6:14 PM

18. erikr2013 says: Sep 5, 2016 6:25 PM

Thank you Sitton for all your years in GRB, good luck with Bears!

19. stellarperformance says: Sep 5, 2016 6:38 PM

I hope he does well and earns the pay Chicago is willing to pay, and I hope his replacement does just as well in Green Bay. Good luck to both. No hard feelings.

20. Wisconsin's Favorite Son Jeffrey Be Dahmed says: Sep 5, 2016 6:40 PM

We Packer fans loved Josh so much. He was so good. Now he’s gone. Forever. And to the Bears! Of all teams.

We disrespected a respected player. He didn’t deserve that. Why did we do that? We made Josh mad. He will be trying to stick it to us. He used to help us. But not anymore. Our team is worse off. We have declined. Because he’s gone. For good. Won’t ever come back to play for us. Only against us. To hurt us. To beat us. We are so sad. Josh might have made the difference between 3rd and 4th place.

Maybe we should just enjoy 2nd place while we can. It might be the best we do for many, many years.

21. squawktalkseahawk says: Sep 5, 2016 6:41 PM

Don’t worry, Josh.
    It’s Chicago.
    No one thought you were “sticking it” to the Packers.

22. TheDPR says: Sep 5, 2016 6:47 PM

Also, he probably doesn’t even need to move. Selling a house and uprooting a family – assuming he has one – can be a huge pita. If he likes where he’s living, he can keep his house. Chicago is only a couple hundred miles away.

23. calvinthegreat82 says: Sep 5, 2016 6:49 PM

mazenblue says:
    Sep 5, 2016 6:14 PM

“Hes used to sticking it to the Lions twice a year, now its his turn to get sticky twice a year.”

Yes because the Lions beating the Bears is something to be proud of, after all the Bears own the consecutive win streak of 11 games and are destroying the Lions in overall wins.

The Lions have one frigging playoff since 1957, your team is absolute trash, just like the city of Detroit.

24. icebowler says: Sep 5, 2016 7:03 PM

They Lions always respected Josh. A few weeks ago, the scribbled “Sitton” on one of their tackling dummies.

25. filthymcnasty3 says: Sep 5, 2016 7:22 PM

Of course he doesn’t hate the Packers. He still wears a massive diamond encrusted ring with a G on the side.

26. whatjusthapped says: Sep 5, 2016 7:25 PM

If he wanted to stick it to the Packers, he would have picked a different team. The Bears are a long way from being relevant, any team that loses to the Vikings twice in a year can officially be considered as rebuilding.

The real reason is the guaranteed money, who else was ready to pay him $10 million upfront? That’s a lot of money for guy on the wrong side of 30 with a bad back.

27. symxfan says: Sep 5, 2016 7:27 PM

No playoffs for you, Josh! Enjoy the pay day!

28. tangysizzl says: Sep 5, 2016 7:43 PM

I wish Josh well in Chicago, he was a beast on the oline and didn’t complain too loudly when he was asked to switch to LG. Play on playa.

Dude lost 30 lbs this offseason to help his bad back, hope he can play at the same level without all that bulk.

29. xavier179 says: Sep 5, 2016 7:43 PM

If you say so.

30. jerrytagge says: Sep 5, 2016 7:45 PM

TFW you let off your block a little too soon and your guy blows by you…but it’s Jay Cutler back there, not Aaron Rodgers.

31. contra74 says: Sep 5, 2016 7:47 PM

gbbvan says:
    Sep 5, 2016 5:28 PM
    Packer owner and a fan of Josh
    ——
    Adorable aren’t they!?

They actually believe they own a team.

32. kerzondax says: Sep 5, 2016 8:01 PM

It’s a business. That’s all it is. Think anything else and I’ll sell you a bridge.

33. pkrlvr says: Sep 5, 2016 8:07 PM

——–
    You guys have spent the last few years talking smack about how bad our o-line was, then when we dump one of our linemen you talk about how bad we will be without him. Which is it trolls?

34. pkrlvr says: Sep 5, 2016 8:09 PM

Adorable aren’t they!?

They actually believe they own a team
    ——-
    Who are you talking to exactly? This is a packer story in case you didn’t realize it, why don’t you take your stupidity to the Viking threads?

35. 250dollarnflowner says: Sep 5, 2016 8:40 PM

rumor has it that Sitton consulted with reggie white prior to the season for advice on how to get a new contract. i guess the advice was sound and solid!!??

36. mindelm42 says: Sep 5, 2016 8:42 PM

I’m amazed the Giants didn’t pursue Sitton. Of course Reese has been horrible at trying to get free agents for his OL. The Giants aren’t only weak, they are very thin, with only Bobby Hart, Brett Jones, and recently signed Will Beatty as back ups. Had they signed Sitton, it would’ve made for a much stronger right side with (SITTON/ BEATTY) vs. (JARRY/ NEWHOUSE). Reese seems to be pretty stubborn about not upgrading, but when the Gee Men have no run game and Eli is running for his life back there, maybe he’ll finally figure it out…hopefully he’s fired soon.

37. jackedupboonie says: Sep 5, 2016 8:53 PM

It actually helps a player’s transition being familiar with the foe 6 out of 16 games…staying in own division.

38. nomdeplume01 says: Sep 5, 2016 11:20 PM

Aaron Rodgers is so quick to get out of the pocket and still compete his passes that he doesn’t need a great line in front of him. They will have better run blocking this year, they won’t have the best pass protection, but it can be developed.

39. mccarthyisamoron says: Sep 5, 2016 11:37 PM

Quint from Jaws: I dunno chief, TT’s very smart or very dumb.

40. whatdoesjimmiefoxxsay says: Sep 6, 2016 12:08 AM

Are you Sitton me? says Jimme Fox

41. 1ofthepackowners says: Sep 6, 2016 12:09 AM

I was shocked when I heard he was released from the team. It’s a young man’s game, and we’ll see if TT made the correct decision.

Just remember, the coaches and TT saw him every practice from otas until the end of preseason. They know a lot more than any of us.

42. slatetundra07 says: Sep 6, 2016 12:40 AM

Thank you for your service, but…it doesn’t matter. Da Bears still suck!

43. taintedsaints2009 says: Sep 6, 2016 1:20 AM

Not to the team itself, but definitely the management

44. packmanfan says: Sep 6, 2016 1:29 AM

mrcmos says:
    Sep 5, 2016 5:18 PM
    Hopefully twice a year he has a mediocre game against us.

——————————————————————————————-
    I’m a Packers fan and I can also call it as “us.”

And guess what? I didn’t throw away money to have pride in my team as you did on a worthless piece of paper.

I can print out something with the Packers logo declaring myself as an owner and it’s the very same thing.

45. packmanfan says: Sep 6, 2016 1:32 AM

contra74 says:
    Sep 5, 2016 7:47 PM
    gbbvan says:
    Sep 5, 2016 5:28 PM
    Packer owner and a fan of Josh
    ——
    Adorable aren’t they!?

They actually believe they own a team.
    ————————————————————————————–

If they were actually owners, then they could do something about Dom Capers instead of whining about him all the time.

46. twiddlemylobes says: Sep 6, 2016 2:21 AM

Josh had a piss poor attitude in recent interviews. I’m glad GB put him out to pasture, let him finish his career on a losing team and become the next Greg Jennings.. His name will be forgotten in a couple years just the same way

47. twoteamsforlosangeles says: Sep 6, 2016 5:57 AM

Wow…what a combination at guard for the Bears…Now if only they could find a center and two tackles.

48. wnstonchill says: Sep 6, 2016 6:30 AM

How would he “stick it” to the Packers with the team the Bears have put together? Sitton no doubt makes their o’line better, but what about the rest of the positions needing an upgrade?? Bears are a 6-10 team at best.

49. connfyoozed says: Sep 6, 2016 7:45 AM

The Bears had one of the best opportunities for him to start right away. They’ve lost one guy to injury and 2 to retirement already this offseason. Before Sitton, they were either going to start this year’s 4th round draft pick Cody Whitehair, or Ted Larsen, who has been mediocre at best the last few seasons. I’m sure there were other factors, but really this could just be about playing time and money as much as or more than anything else.

50. hawks52 says: Sep 6, 2016 9:37 AM

Glad the Bears moved aggressively here. But I’m most impressed with the Packer fans on this site. They aren’t’ trying to spin it. Some teams’ fans would go from “he’s the best guard in football” to “he;s washed up – glad he’s gone” overnight.

Frankly, I still worry that may be true. But the Packer fans are staying consistent – they wanted their GM to sign him.

I may never know in my lifetime what it’s like to have a HOF QB on the team I root for – much less 2 (or three – since I go back to Bill Wade – Rudy Bukich vs Starr days).

But if the Bears had one, it would really bother me to see the team go young rather than go all in trying to get another SB before the QB is gone.

51. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 6, 2016 10:14 AM

He’ll enjoy going to a team where he can’t outrun the running back and won’t get migraines from the constant whining of the qb.

52. hawks52 says: Sep 6, 2016 12:08 PM

“I’m a Packers fan but not one of those suckers who threw away his money on a worthless piece of paper.”

While I think it’s silly if not borderline pathetic to call yourself an owner just because you bought “stock”, it’s not throwing away your money.

It’s a voluntary contribution to the team to fund certain improvements. The Packers are the only team that can do that. Other teams have to find less voluntary means or do without.

In return, the contributors get to attend at least one team meeting that is not open to the general public, and get a pretty nice certificate which is in effect a thank you for the contribution.

Not a bad deal at all in my mind. And I’m a Bears fan.

53. stellarperformance says: Sep 6, 2016 12:22 PM

packmanfan says:
    Sep 6, 2016 1:29 AM
    ////////////////////////////////////

What makes you think that? Anybody could tell it wasn’t the same thing from 10’0″ away. You couldn’t? Who’s the idiot?

54. siuleno says: Sep 6, 2016 12:48 PM

you guys know you’re talking about a guard, right? that is one of the least vital positions in football. what happens when your O-lineman cant play tackle? you move him to guard. yeah, i liked him, but is this going to make us crash and burn? hardly. good luck, Sit. next story.

55. homer3692 says: Sep 6, 2016 11:45 PM

Best of luck to Josh in the future..great player that helped us win a super bowl and seems like a good guy to grab a beer with…Go Pack!!