Carson Wentz: I knew I was ready

PHILADELPHIA, PA - AUGUST 11: Sam Bradford #7 (L) and Carson Wentz #11 of the Philadelphia Eagles warm up prior to the preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Lincoln Financial Field on August 11, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images) Getty Images

Saturday wasn’t a good day of hunting for Carson Wentz, but it was a significant day in his NFL career.

Wentz was hunting geese when he got a call from Eagles coach Doug Pederson telling him that he would be the team’s starting quarterback with Sam Bradford headed to the Vikings in a trade. The trade came as a surprise and the move to Wentz runs counter to the Eagles’ plans for his rookie season, but it didn’t throw Wentz for a loop.

A rib injury limited him to one preseason appearance and leaves some questions about whether his play will be good enough for the pro level. He’s not lacking the requisite self-confidence for the job, though.

“The whole time all along, I was just getting ready for whenever this time would come,” Wentz said, via Philly.com. “I knew I was ready. I knew I was taking the mental reps, being out the last couple of weeks, even going out to the first preseason game. I was developing at a fast pace and now it’s here. I’m confident in myself, I’m confident in this team. I’m excited for it. … I just knew ever since OTAs this summer. That preseason game I walked away feeling extra confident with it. It wasn’t pretty by any means, but I didn’t feel overwhelmed or anything. I just felt very confident with it, and now it’s here.”

Wentz only landed one goose during Saturday’s hunting trip and the football equivalent of that may be in the cards over the next few months as he makes up for lost time this summer against live fire from opposing defenses. His confidence in himself should help through that process, especially if others find reason to express doubt about the route the Eagles have chosen.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Carson Wentz: I knew I was ready”
  1. sportmigos says: Sep 6, 2016 7:58 AM

2. nfl fan says: Sep 6, 2016 7:59 AM

What was he watching?

3. jianningwu says: Sep 6, 2016 8:01 AM

> Wentz only landed one goose during Saturday’s hunting trip

Can’t wait to get a gander at him Sunday at 1.

( *Ohhhhh!* )

4. sportoficionado says: Sep 6, 2016 8:10 AM

We Goin fold his ass up like a ikea mattress.

5. campcouch says: Sep 6, 2016 8:13 AM

I was confident about going to Junior Prom with Felicia Gonzalez…until she shot me down. Sometimes beliefs and reality don’t coincide.

6. tony1oh1no says: Sep 6, 2016 8:21 AM

“I knew I was ready” sounds like something you say after a 4-0 start with a QBR of 101. I have my doubts…

7. kneedragr says: Sep 6, 2016 8:28 AM

Hope he doesent get killed behind that porous offensive line.

8. eagleswin says: Sep 6, 2016 8:29 AM

It is great to be confident in yourself but let your play do your talking. You are just putting additional pressure on yourself.

9. birdzflyinhigh says: Sep 6, 2016 8:35 AM

He’ll have his growing pains for sure, but this season’s upside is pretty much equal to if Bradford was starting.

10. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Sep 6, 2016 8:45 AM

Division 2 college QB that only played 39 snaps in the first preseason game against backups and 3rd stringers. Yup he’s ready.

11. oscarxray says: Sep 6, 2016 8:46 AM

He should be practicing under center and not the shotgun.The geese now have film on him and know he doesn’t go to a second target.

12. winged warrior says: Sep 6, 2016 8:53 AM

i’m excited . can’t hardly wait.
    got my thumb out , lookin’ to hitch a ride on the wentz wagon .
    it’s gonna be a tuff haul thru hostile territory !

13. hendawg21 says: Sep 6, 2016 8:57 AM

Oh is he ever in trouble…look son, you only had a small taste of preseason football and contrary to what you experienced, that is nothing compared to when the real season kicks off…the speed will be much faster, the defenses will far more confusing, and, well, be prepared to be knocked around, confused and beat up quite a bit…

14. pourman says: Sep 6, 2016 9:02 AM

We’re ready, too. Expect some rough patches, but let’s see what we got. Just remember…SLIDE.

15. Susan Imbriale says: Sep 6, 2016 9:13 AM

Wait until the schedule heats up
    Cannot wait to see him run for his life

16. roth19 says: Sep 6, 2016 9:15 AM

One half of preseason football in which he took every big hit imaginable and got hurt.

But yeah I mean the NFL is easy. Who needs reps, right? He’s ready!!!!!!!!!!!

3-13

17. boss81hogg says: Sep 6, 2016 9:18 AM

Those Eagles fans are gonna eat that man alive.

18. connfyoozed says: Sep 6, 2016 9:22 AM

So if Wentz hunts geese as a hobby, does this make him more or less likely to throw a “wounded duck” on game day?

19. possumsauce says: Sep 6, 2016 9:24 AM

Whatever his performance on the field, he’s doing the Lord’s work hunting those nasty poop factories.

20. adimuz95 says: Sep 6, 2016 9:29 AM

^ Imagine if it were Chase Daniel getting the starts. He was getting booed after the first drive of the first preseason game

21. NFLexpert says: Sep 6, 2016 9:42 AM

He will go back from wentz he came when the real games start….

22. celticsforever says: Sep 6, 2016 9:44 AM

Americans killing my national bird. That’s fine. I shot 3 bald eagles on the weekend…. you know… just for sport.

23. chrisk61 says: Sep 6, 2016 9:45 AM

1. hand the ball off to mathews
    2. short passes to sproles and TE’s
    3. stout defense
    4. most of all, minimize INT’s

it probably won’t be as bad as people think. plus, at home vs cleve is pretty much best case scenario as starting pt

24. dallasdominates says: Sep 6, 2016 9:47 AM

It’s funny that Wentz, who played, what “One” preseason game, if that is now “ready” from the national pundits to play.

But Prescott, who played, with the one’s and two’s all preseaon, practiced with the one’s on Tony’s off days when he wasn’t injured, and now with the one’s fully, is going to have struggles.

Yes. I am a Cowboys fan, but fair is fair, and it just amazes me how the narrative is spinned in favor of one guy and againist the other, when one player has exceeded many persons expectations, and the other who has not played longer than one game, with a smaller sample size is now officially ready to start in the eyes of these “analyst”.

25. NoobTubeTV says: Sep 6, 2016 9:48 AM

Can’t wait til Ogbah knocks him out of the game with a hit to those ribs.

At least the Iggles got a 1st Rounder for Bradford… 2-14 season coming up.

26. moemoe4321 says: Sep 6, 2016 9:50 AM

boss81hogg us Eagles fans will be just fine with the rookie while he learns.

27. rodgerstonelson says: Sep 6, 2016 9:50 AM

Fantasy Football tip, pick what ever team defense that plays the Eagles.

28. therealtrenches says: Sep 6, 2016 10:01 AM

What is he supposed to say? “I have no idea if I’m ready?”

29. xavier179 says: Sep 6, 2016 10:02 AM

Rook, we shall see how ready you are. We are going to start you easy with the Browns, but then…

30. tonebones says: Sep 6, 2016 10:05 AM

Wentz is not intimidated. He’s ready to roll. Most QBs throughout NFL history did not play their best football during their rookie year. This includes just about every HOF QB. So having a rough first year doesn’t keep you out of the HOF. I’m anxious to see this kid grow as a QB, and I’m anticipating some high’s and low’s. Three years from now, the Eagles could be in the super bowl. They’ve never won a super bowl in franchise history, so I can wait a couple more years.

31. bullcharger says: Sep 6, 2016 10:07 AM

sportmigos says:
    Sep 6, 2016 7:58 AM

——————-

I don’t hunt because I don’t think I could shoot an animal, but I happily go fishing and happily hook on my live bait sending the tiny creature to their doom. I also happily eat my burgers and steaks and roasted chicken and pork from the supermarket or the restaurant.

Despite not participating in hunting, I’m not under the illusion that it’s any different from anything I do and I actual believe its more humane then how the food gets on my plate.

If you are vegan, then fine. Talk all you want about hunting, but if you buy your steaks from the butcher it’s no different.

32. smokehouse56 says: Sep 6, 2016 10:08 AM

sportmigos says:
    Sep 6, 2016 7:58 AM

what did that geese ever do to him. smh cant believe hunting is still legal in this day & age.
    ==================================
    In 1937 hunters and sportsmen insisted on a tax on their ammunition and firearms. It was called the Pittman–Robertson Act for wildlife conservation. Through that I have probably given $10,000 toward conservation of wildlife. And I am no longer a hunter because of my advanced age. I still buy large amounts of ammunition for clay target shooting. How much have you given?

33. renhoekk2 says: Sep 6, 2016 10:11 AM

He didn’t look good against backups who did not game plan for the Eagles. No WRs , little running game, and a bad OL. Yes a rookie QB from the FCS should thrive in that situation. Sorry Carson, there are no Prairie View A&M’s or Delaware State’s on the schedule anymore.

34. pittsburghdamned says: Sep 6, 2016 10:11 AM

Hunting geese?
    What a cowardly hobby. Isn’t there a connection between serial killers and kids who harm animals?

35. kcchefs58 says: Sep 6, 2016 10:12 AM

Hopefully they don’t ruin this kid by throwing him to the wolves. There is no reason to start him over Daniel at this point.

36. benfranklinshat says: Sep 6, 2016 10:19 AM

No worries. He would have started week 8 anyway.

37. jags2daship says: Sep 6, 2016 10:29 AM

BUST!

38. possumsauce says: Sep 6, 2016 10:33 AM

People who are rabidly anti-hunting, at least for very clearly non-threatened species like deer or geese, plainly know little or nothing about ecology. Many or most of these animals’ natural predators have long since been extirpated from their former ranges. If humans don’t step in to keep their numbers in check, they’ll invariably overshoot the carrying capacity of the land, with horrific consequences to other species with whom they compete for the same food resources (as well as said food resources themselves, to the extent that these people actually care about non-vertebrate life). Moreover, this eventually leads to mass starvation events for the herds/flocks/etc. themselves, in addition to compromised group immunity versus various natural diseases (e.g. CWD). Dying by a .30-06 is surely more humane than being torn apart by a pack of wolves, or slowly starving to death over the course of a winter. The other likely alternative is of course death by vehicular collision, which is so commonplace where I live (upper Midwest) that people who haven’t hit a deer are in the minority, and many folks have hit multiples. In the U.S. alone, deer strikes kill >200 people and cause >$4 billion in damage every year. Want to end hunting? Get ready for those numbers to skyrocket.

39. therealtrenches says: Sep 6, 2016 11:44 AM

renhoekk2 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 10:11 AM

——————

Did you watch the game, or are you listening to the hosts of “Good Morning NFL” (or whatever that NFLN morning show is called)? Guess what? They didn’t watch the game either. They’re just lookin’ at the numbers.

It’s only one game vs. backups, sure. But for what it’s worth, the numbers don’t tell the whole story. Wentz threw at least five on target balls that got dropped, and he had to throw the ball away a few times.

Yes, the end zone pick was bad, but after a few early over throws, he looked like a guy with good pocket instinct who was poised.

My main concern isn’t him. It’s the o-line in front of him.

40. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 6, 2016 12:02 PM

Its good to have confidence in yourself.

The rest of the world will see if “you’re ready” in a few days.

41. dallasdoesntdoitright says: Sep 6, 2016 12:15 PM

This is going to be hilarious.
    What is it exactly you are ready for Carson?
    Wentz will be worse than Goff and Goff is going to be gawd awful. What on earth will the fans of philthy do? My advice: if you see a bunch of angry men drinking champagne… Stay away. Its most likely philthy cops having their mimosas. Just ask Shady how that turns out.

42. theclebrowns says: Sep 6, 2016 12:27 PM

Can’t wait to go Eagle hunting.

Coward.

43. Youknowimright says: Sep 6, 2016 12:34 PM

Ok carson. Try not to get locked into any more bathrooms.

44. TheBrownswillstinkagain says: Sep 6, 2016 12:37 PM

Im ready too. Im licking my chops to face the Browns D.

Does he sleep on goose feathered pillows?

45. truths4all says: Sep 6, 2016 12:52 PM

Can’t wait to see if the real NFL game is too fast for him and if he can really read NFL defenses.

46. BIGGSHAUN says: Sep 6, 2016 1:33 PM

At least he gets another preseason game this week to get ready for the season.

47. ditkainyourbutkus says: Sep 6, 2016 1:46 PM

easy there rook

48. laserw says: Sep 6, 2016 1:49 PM

We’ll see.

The regular NFL season is nothing like the preseason – the big guys coast through the preseason until it matters and then they slam worthless QB’s to pieces in the regular season.

Can’t wait to see the explosion that will happen in Cleveland where the Great Gimmick thinks he’s improved – he’ll find out that once again in the regular season his 4 second release will make him sacked and injured. The NFL does not fear this jerk as a passer – they pray he throws – he is a sack magnet like there has never been. Even Stevie Wonder can spot a pass rush better than Griffin.

49. punxrawk124 says: Sep 6, 2016 1:54 PM

I don’t understand why so many people are wasting their time commenting on this site, when clearly they should be NFL GM’s.
    The fact that they see busts without these rookie QB’s even starting a regular season game is amazing.
    If NFL GM’s are smart before next years draft they should click on this site and take some advice from the real experts on here.

50. jjackwagon says: Sep 6, 2016 2:27 PM

Ready or not, you are going in.

51. nflgtcfl says: Sep 6, 2016 6:07 PM

I am guessing 2 picks and 3 sacks in his first game.

52. dvalmen says: Sep 6, 2016 8:31 PM

His play will either shut up these experts or give them an excuse for continuing to comment. At least he has the will to win and confidence to make a strong effort. On the field action is the true test regardless of our opinions.