Shaun Hill still listed as Vikings starter, working with ones today

Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer, left, talks with quarterback Shaun Hill, right, before an NFL preseason football game against the Los Angeles Rams, Thursday, Sept. 1, 2016, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Andy Clayton-King) AP

In news that might not mean all that much, Shaun Hill is listed as the first quarterback on the Vikings’ depth chart.

In news that might mean slightly more, Hill was practicing with the starters today.

According to Ben Goessling of ESPN.com, Hill was working with the ones during the portion of practice open to reporters, ahead of newcomer Sam Bradford.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer refused to clarify his intentions about this week, and said the reps would be divided between the guy who was backing up Teddy Bridgewater and the guy who figures to start soon if not Sunday against the Titans.

Given the cost of acquiring Bradford, it’s clear he’s going to play quickly. But the sheer volume of stuff he has to learn might make a one-week turnaround difficult if not impossible.

“That’s the goal, to progress to that point to where I feel comfortable enough to get out there and play if I’m needed to,”Bradford said Monday. “But I can’t tell you if that’s going to be the case or not.”

Hill backed up for the Vikings last year, so he knows what is expected from the position, which is at least enough for the PR department putting together the depth chart.

Permalink 72 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
72 Responses to “Shaun Hill still listed as Vikings starter, working with ones today”
  1. bucandball says: Sep 6, 2016 1:49 PM

Obviously Bradford needs more than a week to absorb a new playbook. They gave Freeman 2 weeks and that wasn’t enough.

2. mvp43 says: Sep 6, 2016 2:00 PM

Vikes panicked and gave up way too much for Bradford. In a way I don’t blame them considering the expectations this year, but Bradford has proved to be a below average QB.

3. eazeback says: Sep 6, 2016 2:04 PM

slinging Sammy and AD will turn the clocks back to 2008 and ball hard!!!!!

4. screamingyellowzonkers says: Sep 6, 2016 2:06 PM

I understand zimmer wanting to be coy about who is starting. But Hill will start until he sucks. If hill plays well enough to not lose, hill will start week 2.

5. Norseman says: Sep 6, 2016 2:06 PM

I bet Hill gets the start, but depending on his performance, may not finish it.

I expect Bradford to start week 2 against the Packers.

6. shaggytoodle says: Sep 6, 2016 2:07 PM

I understand not wanting to throw away a season especially a few day weeks before it starts, but there HAD be a better option for what the Min asks there QB to do. Hand it off 400 times, Theodore completed less than 18 passes in half of the games he played so about 4 completions a quarter… I feel there are QBS that could produce like that without the 1st round price tag.

7. TheDPR says: Sep 6, 2016 2:07 PM

You give Bradford all the time he needs unless the team tanks under Hill or Hill gets injured. It would be foolish to throw Bradford into the fire this week.

8. kjdoyle58 says: Sep 6, 2016 2:13 PM

go Titans

9. vbe2 says: Sep 6, 2016 2:14 PM

The Vikings would look like the Purple Browns if Hill played really well and Bradford wasn’t really needed.

That would be really fun!

10. sdsmooth says: Sep 6, 2016 2:15 PM

As a Viking fan, I’m concerned about our QB situation. I think Hill will be ok. Bum I’m more concerned about the refs this year. They always seem to rob us of a few wins every year. Especially against the Packers.

11. allight59 says: Sep 6, 2016 2:23 PM

Hill will start week One. Bradford is studying game plan for Packers…

12. chris1cat says: Sep 6, 2016 2:23 PM

Skol Vikings, thump Tennessee!

13. citizenstrange says: Sep 6, 2016 2:23 PM

The Vikings play 5 games and then get their bye week and would like to have Bradford start after that. But Bradford will get the start after the Vikings go down 2 games wins vs. losses.

Meaning if they start 0-2 or 1-3, etc Bradford will be brought in. If Hill can go 1-1 or 2-2 they will wait until after the bye.

14. purpleguy says: Sep 6, 2016 2:27 PM

I’m not sure I wouldn’t hold him back till week 4 — the games against the Pack and Panthers will be tough and the guy has a whole new offense to learn.

15. jjackwagon says: Sep 6, 2016 2:33 PM

They didn’t give up two draft picks for a backup QB. Bradford will start sooner rather than later. Nothing to see here.

16. DrSteveBrule says: Sep 6, 2016 2:37 PM

Jeff George says he’s ready, if needed.

17. revelation123 says: Sep 6, 2016 2:39 PM

Learning and entirely new offense isn’t easy.

It’s going to take Bradford almost a half a season just to begin to get comfortable in a new offense.

18. vikesfansteve says: Sep 6, 2016 2:40 PM

You’ve been Rick rolled.

19. trun0rth says: Sep 6, 2016 2:42 PM

Shaun Hill starts this game. Just not enough time to get Sam ready.

At hope, to open TCF Bank Stadium in front of a national TV audience……….it’ll be Sam.

Giving up a 1st round pick hurts. But the Vikes needed a two year rental, at a time when the defense should be Top 5 and AP is finishing his career. Sam could develop into a franchise QB, if he can stay healthy.

Maybe McCown for a 2nd rounder, or Sanchez for a bag of nothing is more appealing to you………but I’ll take the trade they made.

I predict Shaun plays well enough, Sam plays well enough for a few games and then plays very well. Vikings fans that have followed this team for a while will know to hold their breath every time he gets hit in the back half of the season………….

20. FlikeMorio says: Sep 6, 2016 2:42 PM

Make a condensed, simplified, custom game plan for Bradford and let him play this week. Not saying that Bradford is Unitas in his prime, but I really don’t like our odds with Hill under center – even if it is just for one game. Watching him try to throw the ball makes my eyes bleed.

21. themattstapiece says: Sep 6, 2016 2:45 PM

I assume Hill will start and “shoot till he misses”… at which point Bradford will start.

Let’s not rule out the very real possibility that Bradford plays like garbage and Hill is once again starting at some point later in the season.

22. getadealdonealready says: Sep 6, 2016 2:54 PM

DrSteveBrule says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:37 PM

Jeff George says he’s ready, if needed.

—————————————————
    Saw him standing outside fence at Winter Park, asking everyone who walked by to check with Zimmer and see if he got his email.

23. CannedHeat says: Sep 6, 2016 2:57 PM

The irony here is Bradford won’t make it into December before he’s on the IR too and then it’s going to be Shaun Hill’s team anyway.

Green Bay will expose the Vikings. Carolina is going to decimate the Vikings. Arizona will finish off any survivors still clinging to life and hope.
    #hisnameshouldbesham

24. tonebones says: Sep 6, 2016 2:58 PM

The entire organization has been preparing a game plan for the Titans since the schedule was announced. Why would you change everything you’ve already put so much time into? They haven’t spent much time preparing for their week 2 opponent, so look for Bradford to start week 2.

25. highdimension2015 says: Sep 6, 2016 3:02 PM

Enter top of 3rd quarter.

26. bobnelsonjr says: Sep 6, 2016 3:06 PM

He will get thrown in when desperately needed and not due to the timing choice of anyone.

Nobody can predict when that will happen.

27. lingsun54 says: Sep 6, 2016 3:10 PM

Anybody else think it’s funny that Bradford has a career passer rating of 81.0 and Shaun Hill’s is 85.2?

So does Bradford win 2 more games for the Vikings than Hill would?

And is it worth a 1st and a 4th for a guy who will start just one year for you?

28. In Teddy We Trust says: Sep 6, 2016 3:11 PM

The schedule doesn’t get tough until Week 3, so might as well take your time getting Bradford in there.

29. stellarperformance says: Sep 6, 2016 3:11 PM

I would expect they will stuff Bradford into their system come hell or high water, before the first of their two annual SuperBowls on Sunday, September 18th.

30. atthemurph says: Sep 6, 2016 3:14 PM

trun0rth says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:42 PM

——————————-

Giving up what they did he isn’t a 2 year rental. He’s the replacement for the poor kid with one leg left.

Problem is he has never played that well and has always had injuries to his legs, shoulders and brain. Not good if you’re a immobile QB behind that offensive line.

Your hopes of a top 5 defense are going to be dashed as teams stack the box to stop the run game and force the offense to keep punting.

The D will wear out, get broken down and eventually give it up.

31. wrlegrand says: Sep 6, 2016 3:18 PM

People are crazy to think Minnesota was any but hoodwinked on this deal. Are we really to believe that the Eagles would not have traded Bradford and his ridiculous contract for much less…?

For the life of me, I cannot understand what Minnesota was thinking on this.

32. xDocOpsx says: Sep 6, 2016 3:32 PM

sdsmooth says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:15 PM

^^^^^^^^^

Damn those refs for missing a 27 yard FG!

33. mnvikes1961 says: Sep 6, 2016 3:42 PM

stellarperformance says:
    Sep 6, 2016 3:11 PM

______________

They are now referred to as the “Erin-Rodgers-For-All-The-Marbles” Bowl due to the weight this game holds for the Packers’ organization.

The Packers are now 0-1.

34. fwippel says: Sep 6, 2016 3:42 PM

wrlegrand says:
    Sep 6, 2016 3:18 PM

For the life of me, I cannot understand what Minnesota was thinking on this.

========================================
    We’ll be sure to have Rick Spielman consult you the next time, and you can call Howie Roseman, or whoever, and tell them how stupid they are for expecting a first round pick for their starting quarterback, even if he’s only a stop-gap until the new kid in town is ready.

As a Viking fan, I was not excited about this deal, and still am not. That said, Shaun Hill was NOT going to get through a 16 game season without getting hurt or imploding. By making this deal, the Vikings are not throwing in the towel on the 2016. Honestly, to cast their lot with someone like Mark Sanchez or Josh McCown would have been a far worse decision.

35. nhpats says: Sep 6, 2016 3:44 PM

mvp43 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:00 PM

———–
    This was a great move by the Vikings. Bridgewater managed on 14 TDs two years in a row. He was not a threat to opposing defenses. Bradford gives the Vikings a real threat in the passing game which will in turn help the running game as well. The will be Bradford’s team after this season and Teddy will have to accept his role as backup or move on.

36. sirmetaphor says: Sep 6, 2016 3:52 PM

They’re better off starting Hill against the Titans. Bradford will be ready for the Packers.

Once he learns the playbook he’s a better option than even Teddy was when healthy.

He trusts his reads much better than Bridgewater did, is more decisive, and can make all throws.

This is Bradford’s chance to show everyone why he was a #1 overall pick. No more bums around him, this team is legit.

37. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Sep 6, 2016 4:01 PM

My advice to Vike fans is to enjoy the last few days prior to the start of the season.

38. whatjusthapped says: Sep 6, 2016 4:07 PM

Its like asking what shade of lipstick you should put on a pig, at the end of the day, its still a pig.

Hill or Bradford, does it really make that much of a difference.

39. 2ruefan says: Sep 6, 2016 4:12 PM

bucandball says:
    Sep 6, 2016 1:49 PM

**************************
    True, but the difference is … I’m just going to say it… Freeman was an idiot.
    I think time has proven he just was not very bright. Couldn’t pick things up and didn’t elsewhere either.

The fact that he is talented physically but never succeeded outside of Tampa Bay for ONE year and does nothing but throw INTs and can’t ever seem to “get it” suggest a guy who is just not that bright.

40. 1lombardibeforeigo says: Sep 6, 2016 4:12 PM

Zimmer will let everyone know who is starting when the O trots out for the first possession. Won’t really matter this week or next, Vikes win those based on sheer talent and depth. Carolina, another story, loaded with talent.

41. aj66shanghai says: Sep 6, 2016 4:15 PM

Bradford could have been had for that price two years ago. Imgaine if the Vikings had had that the last 2 years, instead of wasting time pretending Teddy Bridgewater was going to be any kind of star. You’d probably have been to a super bowl by now!

As the dude above said, this isn’t a rental, but a replacement. Teddy was a bottom-tier QB at best; do you really think his injury and recovery and prolonged absence from the game are going to change that for the better? He’s done, the Bradford era has begun

42. 2ruefan says: Sep 6, 2016 4:16 PM

**********************

Sorry dude. Just no factual basis for this opinion.
    Similar number of starts, Teddy far more successful and also far more accurate and better at decision making.

Also, just wait until Bradford gets rushed. You will find out the difference between the two REAL fast.

I want my Vikes to succeed. But I’m SURE we will see Hill and Henicke both play at some point. Probably because of an injury to Bradford when he gets buried after a missed block and he can’t avoid the hit.

43. teal379 says: Sep 6, 2016 4:26 PM

People keep talking about the Vikings and a top 5 defense.

Where do you get that?

Seriously – I get teams improve but last year

Overall #13
    Against the pass #12 (in a passing league)
    Against the run #17

I’m sorry but I just don’t see MN suddenly jumping 8 spots, particularly if they struggle on offense, meaning their D will be on the field a lot.

44. beer4guy says: Sep 6, 2016 4:36 PM

The good news for us Vikings’ fans is that we have a head coach who we are confident will make the right decision on who to start, and when Bradford is ready, so we really don’t have to speculate. For the rest of you, I can’t help but channel my inner Jim Mora:

“You think you know, but you just don’t know. And you never will.”

45. thethunderofgunns says: Sep 6, 2016 4:36 PM

They want to wait until at least Week 2 before Bradford snaps his knee again.😀

46. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Sep 6, 2016 5:06 PM

I’m sure Bradford can replicate last year’s Bridgewater QB production if he stays healthy. The offense should improve with Bradford’s arm strength and his experience against different defenses.

47. lindacaseauthor says: Sep 6, 2016 5:16 PM

sdsmooth says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:15 PM
    ——————
    Not in Week Two in our new 1.1 billion dollar stadium financed primarily by citizens, the refs will favor the Vikes no matter how many times Lil Erin whines and cries about the big bad Vikings defense and Jordy complains about pass interference that never happened and McMuffin throws the red flag, his main exercise during the game.

48. hugeheavywoman says: Sep 6, 2016 5:28 PM

Hill or Bradford. Man, that is one dangerous two headed monster!

49. wafflestomp says: Sep 6, 2016 5:40 PM

sdsmooth says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:15 PM
    —————————-

Ooooh…..the crying and whining are starting extra early this year.
    I love it. Barney tears are so delicious!!!

50. lindacaseauthor says: Sep 6, 2016 5:51 PM

wafflestomp says:
    Sep 6, 2016 5:40 PM
    sdsmooth says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:15 PM
    —————————-

Ooooh…..the crying and whining are starting extra early this year.
    I love it. Barney tears are so delicious!!!
    —————
    In Week Two, the puke green and bile yellow tears shed by Lil Erin will be even MORE delicious when the Vikings D gets their paws on him.

51. nflgtcfl says: Sep 6, 2016 6:01 PM

MN has a decent D and Peterson.

Windows close quick in the NFL.

Took a chance on Bradford.

Eventually Peterson will decline so they have to at LEAST try to take advantage of their situation while they can.

52. In Teddy We Trust says: Sep 6, 2016 6:03 PM

teal379 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 4:26 PM

People keep talking about the Vikings and a top 5 defense.

Where do you get that?

Seriously – I get teams improve but last year

Overall #13
    Against the pass #12 (in a passing league)
    Against the run #17

________

Stellar? Is that you?

The Vikings were top 5 last year in points allowed, which some people believe is a better measure of defensive acumen.

53. skolvikes says: Sep 6, 2016 6:07 PM

teal379 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 4:26 PM

People keep talking about the Vikings and a top 5 defense.

Where do you get that?

Seriously – I get teams improve but last year

Overall #13
    Against the pass #12 (in a passing league)
    Against the run #17

———————————-

The only stat that matters on defense. Points against.

Minnesota Vikings #5 in the NFL –

And for those talking about the Vikings offense going 3-and-out; check the stats. They, like you, don’t lie.

The Vikings were number 2 in the NFL in 3-and-outs last year. One one-hundredth of a percentage point away from number 1 ranked Arizona. 172 total drives, 25 total 3-and-outs @ 14.53% for the entire year. The Packers in comparison had almost twice as many 3-and -outs with 44 and 22.92%, good for 19th in the league.

54. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Sep 6, 2016 6:10 PM

lindacaseauthor says:
    Sep 6, 2016 5:16 PM
    sdsmooth says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:15 PM
    ——————

———

So, basically you care nothing about the integrity of the game? And, you think the refs will engage in fraud simply to ensure that you get a win in that green house monstrosity you call a stadium? Wow, vike fans are awesome.

The only way vikes come away with a win in Week 2 is if Aaron gets kidnapped prior to the game. Actually, scratch that, Brett is more than capable of dispensing with the vikes.

55. wafflestomp says: Sep 6, 2016 6:10 PM

Would that be that “top 5” ranked defense I’ve heard so much about, Linda? (Eye Roll)
    Not too worried. Looking forward to the opening of your new McStadium and hanging a huge loss on your beleaguered, rabble of miscreants.
    Well, if I can get past the stench of dead birds.

56. lindacaseauthor says: Sep 6, 2016 6:24 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:10 PM
    lindacaseauthor says:
    Sep 6, 2016 5:16 PM
    sdsmooth says:
    Sep 6, 2016 2:15 PM
    ——————

———

—————————
    You are so hypocritical, Cheesehead. The refs being on your side is what you rely on to win the game. See Lions game in Detroit 2015. You don’t give a rat’s arse about integrity. And Lil Erin doesn’t need to get kidnapped, he just needs to come face to face with Griffin, Barr, Kendricks, Joseph. . . Etc. . . I don’t have to say anymore, do I? #cantwaituntilWeekTwo

57. stellarperformance says: Sep 6, 2016 6:31 PM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:03 PM
    ////////////////////////////////////

Yeah…..some people, but not the folks at NFL, Inc., the people that run the show.

Also, check out DVOA statistics. They tell an even better story. Vikings still #13. What do you know.

58. wafflestomp says: Sep 6, 2016 6:44 PM

I find it hilarious that the Barneys continue to cherry pick stats to suit their arguments. All the time.
    Never mind the fact that almost every NFL Team Stat rankings goes by yards allowed when ranking Total Defense. But let’s play your game.
    Though instead of just picking your favorite barometer, let’s take a closer look at all of the big, relevant defensive stats.

Minnesota allowed 344 yds/game.
    Green Bay allowed 346 yds/game.

Minnesota allowed 18.9 pts/game.
    Green Bay allowed 20.2 pts/game.

Minnesota 43 sacks.
    Green Bay 43 sacks.

Minnesota created 22 turnovers.
    Green Bay created 22 turnovers.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the Packer’s D is virtually on par with the Vikings across the board.
    The only real difference is the fact you don’t hear Packer fans crowing about their defense on every single thread because they understand there’s still a long ways to go for it to be at Championship caliber.
    Or do you want to cherry pick a few more stats to further your argument?
    Probably.

59. mnvikes1961 says: Sep 6, 2016 7:43 PM

Here’s a fact you trolls are conveniently forgetting;

Check out the climb the Vikings Defensive has been on since Zimmer has taken the reigns. They’re on quite the ascent. Add the fact that this D hasn’t even come close to gelling yet. It’s going to be brutal when they do.

The Packers D has totally flat-lined over the same time- definitely not improving compared to the leaps and bounds that the Vikings D has in that same time frame (check out how many spots they’ve jumped in the time). Plus you have the almighty Dom Capers. I giggled a bit when I typed that. Dom Capers.

60. skolvikes says: Sep 6, 2016 7:44 PM

wafflestomp says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:44 PM

Minnesota allowed 344 yds/game.
    Green Bay allowed 346 yds/game.

Minnesota allowed 18.9 pts/game.
    Green Bay allowed 20.2 pts/game.

Minnesota 43 sacks.
    Green Bay 43 sacks.

Minnesota created 22 turnovers.
    Green Bay created 22 turnovers.

Or do you want to cherry pick a few more stats to further your argument?
    Probably.

——
    One team in the NFL went from 31st to 14th to 5th in the NFL in points allowed in 3 years under a brand new defensive minded head coach, and you wonder why their is optimism? You wonder why the expectations are through the roof? Take off your homer glasses and pay attention to what’s actually happening on the field.

61. skolvikes says: Sep 6, 2016 8:00 PM

stellarperformance says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:31 PM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:03 PM
    ////////////////////////////////////

——

Q: What is the job of the defense in football?

A: Stop the other team from scoring.

Pretty simple.

62. filthymcnasty3 says: Sep 6, 2016 8:06 PM

Shaun Hill.

The player behind the panic.

63. wafflestomp says: Sep 6, 2016 8:32 PM

Haters are gonna hate.
    Winners are gonna keep on winning.
    And the Barney fans are gonna whine and cry all the way through it.
    Such is life in today’s NFL.

64. stellarperformance says: Sep 6, 2016 8:44 PM

skolvikes says:
    Sep 6, 2016 8:00 PM
    Q: What is the job of the defense in football?
    A: Stop the other team from scoring.
    Pretty simple.
    //////////////////////////////////////

Q: By what criteria does the NFL rank defenses from best to worst?
    A: Yardage allowed.

Simpler

65. mnvikes1961 says: Sep 6, 2016 8:49 PM

Breaking news, this just out;

“NFL, Inc., the people that run the show”(hilarious) have officially announced today that scoreboards will no longer reflect the points scored in a game and will now only show the yards gained per team.

Get. Over. It.

66. contra74 says: Sep 6, 2016 9:55 PM

Who panicked more?

Spielman when trading for Bradford

Or Packer fans upon hearing we traded for Bradford

67. theolballcoach says: Sep 7, 2016 2:58 AM

Down goes stellar, down goes stellar!!

68. theolballcoach says: Sep 7, 2016 3:01 AM

I was really bummed in week 17 when the Packers pulled out that victory with all those game winning yards on that last drive.

69. unmercifulone says: Sep 7, 2016 5:05 AM

CannedHeat says:

“I’m hoping Bradford gets the start next week…so there’s no excuses when they open the doors at Lambeau Field West in just the right fashion and Green Bay dominates from the opening whistle on out.”

My my my… you really do think highly of that has-been QB of yours. Apparently they didn’t let you to watch that team of retrofitted rejects known as “The Slackers” when you were in detox all last year or you would know that the Vikings beat your precious team IN that dung-heap of a barn you call a football stadium AND took the NFC-N championship to boot. How embarrassing of a loss that must be for you fake 1 share “owners”.

70. All Knowing says: Sep 7, 2016 8:07 AM

Panic in Queenland. Bradford obviously needs all the time he can get to prepare for Green Bay. Packers are going to eat him alive in week 2.

Week 3
    Packers 2-0
    Vikings 0-2

71. xDocOpsx says: Sep 7, 2016 10:51 AM

Sep 6, 2016 8:00 PM
    stellarperformance says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:31 PM

Q: What is the job of the defense in football?

A: Stop the other team from scoring.

Pretty simple.

^^^^

True, but if you defense just allows FGs and your team still loses every game, does that mean they are doing their job? They would still be very high up on the PTS/G list.

72. In Teddy We Trust says: Sep 7, 2016 10:56 AM

stellarperformance says:
    Sep 6, 2016 8:44 PM

skolvikes says:
    Sep 6, 2016 8:00 PM
    Q: What is the job of the defense in football?
    A: Stop the other team from scoring.
    Pretty simple.
    //////////////////////////////////////

Q: By what criteria does the NFL rank defenses from best to worst?
    A: Yardage allowed.

Simpler
    ________

The reason the NFL ranks teams by yardage allowed is because they want to be able to break defenses down by run defense and pass defense. There’s no way to evaluate those two separate aspects without using yards. For consistency, they add those together to rank teams by total defense.

That doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to look at points allowed as a criterion. You seem to think it’s completely irrelevant. Do you really think the Ravens, Buccaneers, Titans, and Bears have better defenses than the Packers? All of those teams gave up at least 4.6 points per game more than the Packers, but they gave up less yardage.

Rank order the defenses by yards and you get a mishmash of good and bad teams. Rank order the defenses by points and you get the best teams in the NFL. Coincidence?