Drew Brees: “I’ll be here as long as they’ll have me”

ATLANTA, GA - JANUARY 03:  Drew Brees #9 of the New Orleans Saints celebrates a touchdown during the first half against the Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome on January 3, 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Getty Images

Drew Brees said moments after signing a contract extension that he believes he’ll retire a Saint.

“I’m humbled and honored, and have been since the day I first set foot here as a New Orleans Saint. It’s been an incredible journey and I hope to continue that journey for quite a bit longer,” Brees said. “Both sides are very happy, certainly I’m very happy. I want to play my entire career here. . . . This allows me to be here for a bit longer and I’ll be here as long as they’ll have me.”

Brees said the process of getting a new deal worked out was complicated, but he and the team were always on the same page about what it will take to win another Super Bowl before he retires.

“The thing we’re all aligned on is what puts this team in the best position to win and the best position to win a championship,” Brees said.

Brees is 37 and has said he wants to play into his 40s, so this contract, which locks him up through 2017, may not be the last of his career. But he hopes he’s in the last place he’ll ever play.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Drew Brees: “I’ll be here as long as they’ll have me””
  1. sb44champs says: Sep 7, 2016 4:03 PM

3…2…1… on the Brees hate… Its like clockwork

2. mrmcdougle says: Sep 7, 2016 4:06 PM

I like Drew, but my guess is if they’ll have him for less than 10 million / year … he may not be there.

3. mvp43 says: Sep 7, 2016 4:14 PM

Well…… as long as Drew gets paid, Drew’s good with it.

4. jddirtybird21 says: Sep 7, 2016 4:14 PM

Brees is great, but his contract is the reason why the Saints suck. You would think he’d spend the last few years he has left taking pay cuts to get another ring…

5. theashleyguy says: Sep 7, 2016 4:28 PM

His contract is so crippling, the rest of the team can’t build. You just can’t have one player take up that big a percentage of the salary cap–even Drew Brees.

And I really like Brees, but there has to be a limit.

6. mcdeez22 says: Sep 7, 2016 4:28 PM

“…As long as they’ll have me”

No, Drew. I’ll go to my aunt and uncle’s house for Thanksgiving as long as they’ll have me. You’ll play for the Saints as long as they pay you $22MM per year.

7. jag1959 says: Sep 7, 2016 4:35 PM

jddirtybird21 says:
    Sep 7, 2016 4:14 PM
    ______________

I am a Giants guy but this and all the statements like it are simply not true. Loomis is the reason th Saints suck. Year in and year out Brees is among the best in the business. Brees’ last contract that has carried hits of 10.4M, 17.4M, 18.4M and only last year went over 20 to 23.8M has hardly crippled a team that is carrying $33m in dead money this year after getting clipped for $34M last year and $16.4M the year before. It’s not what they have paid Brees for being there that has hurt them, it’s what Loomis spent on guys that are not.

If you were among the best at what you do would you take a pay cut so your boss could flush more money down the toilet in 2 years than you made in 4?

8. babyjunkie says: Sep 7, 2016 4:40 PM

As long as they PAY him is what he really means. I am a diehard Saints fan, but Drew is totally about the money.

9. dvdman123 says: Sep 7, 2016 4:50 PM

So what about the other NFL QB’s making eight figure salaries who are not even close to Bree’s talents? I guess those are okay? Come on people it’s the MARKET value. I think this hate is more toward the Saints organization and not Brees.

10. Rolo Tomassi says: Sep 7, 2016 5:09 PM

Drew Brees wants MORE money??

11. n2cubed says: Sep 7, 2016 5:17 PM

His last deal was absolutely a team killer (along with all the dead money in the last couple years) but since then, the salary cap has increased quite a bit and the relative value of the QB has continued to rise. This deal is very good for all parties. If they can find some players and coaches who know anything about defense, they could have a big resurgence soon.

Not that I want that at all as a Bucs fan (we’re on the rise, Go Bucs!) but I call ’em as I see ’em.

12. MiamiDolphinsNationTravelingtoSeattle says: Sep 7, 2016 5:21 PM

Someone needs to tell the Saints and Drew that 2006 through 2009 is over.

13. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Sep 7, 2016 5:21 PM

And the active player with the highest career earnings is…
    Eli Manning. Think about that one Brees and Brady haters.

14. wtfru2 says: Sep 7, 2016 5:28 PM

Give me 22 million and I’ll be wherever they want me for life!!!!!!!

15. trollaikman8 says: Sep 7, 2016 6:07 PM

Upon the news, the Saints immediately waived 7 starters to clear up space.

16. bubbasmithguy says: Sep 7, 2016 9:38 PM

This greedy bastard. He is the reason the Saints can’t field a team that could compete with the little Sisters of the Poor football team. I guess its all about him.