Hue Jackson bristles at Brian Billick’s suggestion the Browns could go 0-16

FILE - In this Aug. 26, 2016, file photo, Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson, right, talks with quarterback Robert Griffin III (10) on the sideline during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Tampa, Fla. Jackson waited five years for a second NFL head coaching job, and his new one is a tough challenge - the Cleveland Browns. Jackson spent the past 2 seasons as Cincinnati’s offensive coordinator and he’s taking over a Browns team being rebuilt by a new front office. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack, File) AP

There are plenty of people who think the Browns are going to be bad at football this year, as they have most every year since returning to Cleveland.

But the criticism of a former Super Bowl-winning coach made Browns coach Hue Jackson a little defensive.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Jackson was informed of Billick’s suggestion that the Browns could go winless on Twitter today, and was taken aback.

Who said what?” Jackson asked. “Wow. Good for him. I didn’t know he worked here. I’m just being honest. Nothing to Brian. I think it’s really interesting that everybody can comment on other people’s teams and don’t even understand their inner workings. I have great respect for Brian, he’s a great coach in this league, but we’ll see if that’s true. We’ll see if what he says is true. We’ll look back in 16 games and see if it’s right. But I’m not going to get caught up in that.”

Jackson’s a competitive guy, and you have to be if you want to fix the mess the Browns have been. But he insisted his team was capable of surprising people.

“Obviously, I think you guys know my competitiveness,” Jackson said. “I don’t want anybody to say we can’t win anything, I just don’t think that’s right, I don’t think it’s fair. But at the same time I know how hard these guys work, I know what the expectation is and we’ve got to go prove it. Me talking about it is not going to change it. Only thing that’s going to change it is what we do on the field. . . .

“We are a group of men who are hungry, that we do understand and realize there is something to prove. But we hope to have this chip on the shoulder as long as I’m here. I truly believe that. I don’t know any other way to do this. There’s 31 other teams that are trying to knock us off. And we’re trying to knock them off. that’s just part of this deal, that’s the way it is in this league. It’s competitive. And when you’re down people try to step on you. And when you’re up people try to pull you down. That’s the way it works.”

Billick’s not the only one doubting their chances, but he gave Jackson an easy no-respect card to play with his team, which shouldn’t be lacking for motivation.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
49 Responses to “Hue Jackson bristles at Brian Billick’s suggestion the Browns could go 0-16”
  1. scrp2 says: Sep 7, 2016 4:58 PM

Actually I see the Browns winning their first 5 out 6 games:

EAGLES
    RAVENS
    DOLPHINS
    REDSKINS
    TITANS

They’ll sweep the Ravens, that’s for sure.

2. cajunaise says: Sep 7, 2016 4:59 PM

They’ll beat the Patriots.

It’ll be the most fired-up they’ll have been in years, all of football nation will be watching for Brady, and the Browns will have nothing to lose.

Write it down.

3. dumbpollack says: Sep 7, 2016 5:02 PM

I’ve got us winning 2 or 2.

4. eazeback says: Sep 7, 2016 5:04 PM

no way in the world they go 0-16…..I say they win at least 4 but im thinkn more like 6

5. coltzfan166 says: Sep 7, 2016 5:04 PM

Of course that’s under the assumption that every team on their schedule is either better or equally as good as they were last season. Which is never the case

6. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 7, 2016 5:05 PM

That’s Billick just trashing the Browns again. Pay no attention.

7. margoadams says: Sep 7, 2016 5:09 PM

I’m cheering for RGIII If he stays healthy the Browns could be at least .500

8. oscarxray says: Sep 7, 2016 5:11 PM

If a Browns player is asked about it and says “Who is Brian Billick?” will he get his feelings hurt like Mike Lombardi with Blaine Gabbert? Gabbert wasn’t calling out Lombardi and neither are the Browns players with you. They just never heard of you.

9. alcondragonblog says: Sep 7, 2016 5:14 PM

Brian Billick::: One of the smartest men there is when it comes to Synchronized Swimming!

10. athwartships says: Sep 7, 2016 5:18 PM

0-16? probably not. But don’t think for one second that this team will hit .500. RG3 is a stretcher ride waiting to happen, but regardless of how useless he will be, this team needs some serious rebuilding, starting with the front office.

11. wvucolumbus says: Sep 7, 2016 5:20 PM

This Steelers fan thinks they could win in week 1 (against Philly).

12. weepingjebus says: Sep 7, 2016 5:21 PM

They play both the Bills and the Jets, America’s bye weeks.

13. cinvis says: Sep 7, 2016 5:28 PM

Not a Brown fan (Go Pack Go) but RG3 and McCown are the best Q’s the Browns have had since Bernie. I’m glad we don’t play them this year. They can beat anyone. But realistically they will win 4.

14. zakkwyldeslespaul says: Sep 7, 2016 5:54 PM

On paper he’s right but some team will look past them and…………..

15. themattstapiece says: Sep 7, 2016 5:56 PM

They won’t be favored to win any games, but that doesn’t mean they won’t win any games. The ‘favored’ team in the NFL wins what, 60% of the time? ‘Heavy’ favorites maybe a little more. The home team wins more often than not.

The Browns are rebuilding but they will win between 3 and 6 games like any other bad team. They aren’t uniquely bad.

16. broncoguy11 says: Sep 7, 2016 6:01 PM

Its kind of a lazy comment to make. The favorite does not win every game every time anyway, do we REALLY need to find examples of the favored team losing?

I dont think Browns will be super good or anything, but they will win a game, probably one that most didnt pick them to as well.

17. dws123 says: Sep 7, 2016 6:02 PM

These guys are only fooling themselves with this rebooting-not-rebuilding nonsense. The last thing this team needs is another 4-12 or 5-11 season leading to perpetual purgatory.

At this point, the only game I even care about the Browns winning is game 1 against Philly for another high pick. This team is as awful as its ever been so 1-15 would suit me just fine if it means finally getting a franchise QB.

18. mmack66 says: Sep 7, 2016 6:07 PM

The Lions will have the champagne on ice every week.

19. mmack66 says: Sep 7, 2016 6:10 PM

The Browns took the Donkeys to overtime last year, so anything is possible.

20. nowearman714 says: Sep 7, 2016 6:13 PM

HUGE ACTION!

21. thetooloftools says: Sep 7, 2016 6:17 PM

we’ll see if Hue feels the same way when we are 0 – 8.
    we are going to really stink.
    it just is what it is.

22. pittsburghdamned says: Sep 7, 2016 6:21 PM

Billick is worthless and was equally as annoying as Harbaugh every time he opened his mouth to the press.

That being said, Bob Griffin is not an NFL QB, and Hue is not an NFL Coach.

3-13

23. jerruhjones says: Sep 7, 2016 6:33 PM

Billick is an ex-Ratbird…what do you expect?

24. ncphinsfan says: Sep 7, 2016 6:35 PM

The Dolphins might be on hard times, but they beat the Browns, Ravens, Steelers and Bengals in all of their last meetings. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch Brownie Fans.

25. TheDPR says: Sep 7, 2016 6:36 PM

The key to success is protecting your QB and blocking well enough so you can run. I didn’t see that happening in the preseason. I saw an OL getting blown up and a QB hurried and harried.

26. karlpilkington says: Sep 7, 2016 6:36 PM

Redskins will smell blood week 4.

27. mmack66 says: Sep 7, 2016 6:39 PM

The Browns have a pretty good schedule this year. 6-8 wins is doable.

They did take the Donkeys to overtime last year, with a worse coach.

28. hugeheavywoman says: Sep 7, 2016 6:49 PM

Billick was drunk. Browns are a lock for 1-15.

29. vegasdestroyer says: Sep 7, 2016 6:54 PM

Billick should have just predicted that the Browns would get the number one draft choice in 2017. Brown fans would not complain about that prediction – tank you very much.

30. dolphins4 says: Sep 7, 2016 7:08 PM

Of course they’ll win at least one game they play the Eagles week 1.

31. baronvonheil says: Sep 7, 2016 7:12 PM

I am a Steelers fan but I think they will finish at worst 6-10 and would not be shocked at 8-8.

32. FecalFreak69 says: Sep 7, 2016 7:16 PM

I love Billick …

33. kfoyo808 says: Sep 7, 2016 7:31 PM

Most Billick has been talked about in several years. Guess that’s mission accomplished for him!

34. autumnwind999 says: Sep 7, 2016 7:46 PM

Hue got us to 8-8 with Jason Campbell as our starting QB and DHB as our No. 1 WR.
    Don’t underestimate the guy.

35. hugeheavywoman says: Sep 7, 2016 7:58 PM

Don’t underestimate the guy.
    _____________________________________
    After guiding the Raiders to 8-8, Hugh was promptly fired. there, fixed it for ya.

36. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Sep 7, 2016 8:12 PM

They play both the Bills and the Jets, America’s bye weeks.

Hi. I’m WeepingJesus, and my Pats lost to the Jets last year…

37. chrismbach says: Sep 7, 2016 8:14 PM

Hue Jackson brought a team that had Jason Campbell at QB, Darren McFadden at RB and Zach Miller as the top receiver to 6th in scoring.

He followed that up with a Michael Bush and Darius Heyward-Bay-led offense that finished 16th.

He turned Andy Dalton into an MVP candidate.

My favorite teams are the Cowboys and Vikings, but I refuse to underestimate Hue Jackson.

38. dablitz2 says: Sep 7, 2016 8:30 PM

I think they will be 0-16. They are much worse than a year ago. They got rid of some of their top players, such as they were, and they were 3-13 last year. Check out their defensive lineup.

I say they will most likely lose every game. If everything goes their way, maybe they can pull out 1-2 wins late.

39. eagleswin says: Sep 7, 2016 9:25 PM

As an Eagles fan I am a bit biased about the first game but I don’t see how the Browns are better than they were last year so I think 3-4 wins is about right (hopefully one not against the Eagles).

They have set themselves up great for the 2017 draft though. I could see them with 2 high draft picks, their own being the highest. Eagles shouldn’t be to bad either.

They will draft their franchise QB next year and cash in on the picks they have been stockpiling. It all comes down to doing something the browns have been bad at recently, turning draft picks into productive players. If they can hit on a QB and some of their higher draft picks, I could see them in the playoffs in 2018.

40. antneejay2 says: Sep 7, 2016 10:01 PM

This Eagles fan believes the Browns will win in week 1. Of course, I hope I’m wrong.

41. vicvinegar00 says: Sep 7, 2016 10:13 PM

RG3 isn’t taking them anywhere, but 0-16 is a bit over the top.

42. jerruhjones says: Sep 7, 2016 10:28 PM

========================================

And they have tore it up since, right?

43. pmars64 says: Sep 7, 2016 10:51 PM

I’m a Browns fan, but I don’t think Billick is far off. I went through the schedule myself a few days ago and I got nervous thinking that 0-16 is not out of the question.

All I want this year is to win a couple of games, see that the front office has drafted some real talent this year, that Hue shows his coaching chops, and that the team improves as the year progresses.

I just really hope that the current organizational structure and front office knows what it’s doing. This team desperately needs stability and to build a solid foundation. After the NFL robbed the fans of a competitive, quality franchise with the move to Baltimore, and replaced it with this dog, it’s finally time they get paid back. Actually, it’s long over-due.

44. rollsieboys says: Sep 7, 2016 11:46 PM

hue said when he stepped off the plane that “we’re chasing greatness.” say what you want but don’t say the whole attitude hasn’t changed. time to go to work, Browns.

45. mystereo says: Sep 8, 2016 1:31 AM

Perhaps Billick is unaware that he can’t even get an interview for a head coaching job.

46. captainobvious says: Sep 8, 2016 10:30 AM

Wasn’t Billick the head coach of a murderer? I take anything he says as bull hockey. He’s the only TV coach with a Super Bowl ring that never gets a coaching opportunity call due to buffoonery.

47. guitarkevin says: Sep 8, 2016 11:52 AM

I think the Browns look to be finally going in the right direction. For Billick to say 0-16 is just stupid. They’ll get their wins.

– Ravens fan

48. trickbunny says: Sep 8, 2016 5:27 PM

Look at all the teams that have had coaching vacancies and find one that Brian Billick had a chance to win. You can’t do it!

49. jake6879 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:36 PM

This team is bad but Hue Jackson is worth 2-3 wins alone. Throw in a good match up or two and I’d say 4-5 wins.. Over that and I’m impressed.. RG3 is garbage but Hue Jackson isn’t..