Hue Jackson says protecting RGIII is about more than RGIII

PITTSBURGH, PA - OCTOBER 28:  Larry Foote #50 of the Pittsburgh Steelers sacks Robert Griffin III #10 of the Washington Redskins during the game on October 28, 2012 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  The Steelers defeated the Redskins 27-12.  (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

Four years ago, when quarterback Robert Griffin III took the league by storm as a rookie in Washington, a couple of teams in the AFC North brought down on him a specific brand of thunder, with the Steelers specifically choosing to hit him early and often and with the Ravens eventually giving Griffin (not intentionally) the knee injury that later became a torn ACL (if the ACL wasn’t the moment it happened).

Now a member of an AFC North team, Griffin will see the Steelers and Ravens twice this year, along with the Bengals. It therefore becomes more important than ever for Griffin to protect himself. So how will he do it?

“Well, I think we have to protect him,” coach Hue Jackson told PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio and NBCSN. “That’s part of his teammates, you know, he’s not by himself. He’ll be out there with ten other Browns, and we truly understand that part of our success is keeping our quarterback clean and keeping him standing.”

Still, there will be times when Griffin needs to slide or to throw the ball away. How has the process of teaching him better habits in this regard gone?

“Robert has done everything that we’ve asked him to do since he’s signed back in March,” Jackson said. “He’s done a great job of taking coaching and really applying what we’ve been teaching on the field. So I feel real good about those things that those issues are behind him. I think he understands that the best opportunity for our team to win is with him out there playing and not standing next to me.”

Whether Griffin can avoid those things that are apt to keep him on the sidelnes during the heat of the moment remains to be seen. In high school and college, he didn’t have to protect himself because no one could touch him. During four NFL seasons, Griffin has yet to learn how to live to fight another day.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Hue Jackson says protecting RGIII is about more than RGIII”
  1. hawkwind8 says: Sep 7, 2016 12:21 PM

It’s hard to believe that he has learned his lesson. I wish him the best anyway…

2. boobsanders says: Sep 7, 2016 12:36 PM

More power to Hue. It’s really odd and kind of cool for him to protect RG3 for once and tell the guys around him they have to play better. The past few years everybody blamed him for anything that didn’t work out in Washington.

3. tavisteelersfan says: Sep 7, 2016 12:44 PM

Meanwhile, Gruden, whose job depends on an RGIII flameout, will be making those bounty calls on his D for the October 2nd Browns game at FEDEX Field.

4. joshgordonsbong says: Sep 7, 2016 12:46 PM

Anyone else actually believe the Browns beat Philly?….Before the trade not at all now post trad I see them as a favorite

5. medialovesthecowboys says: Sep 7, 2016 12:51 PM

Well I still think RGIII is a flameout. He was struggling with reading defences even as a breakout rookie. But maybe…just maybe…Hue has figured out how to magnify his strengths and mask his weaknesses. How long until opposing teams decipher the subterfuge is anyone’s guess.

6. rufustfireflyjr says: Sep 7, 2016 1:40 PM

Griff did what he was told to do in practice when he was with the Redskins, too. The problem was getting him to do those things in games, and that’s when the real test will come with the Browns, too.

7. nolanwiffle says: Sep 7, 2016 1:40 PM

He stinks.

8. romosmicrodongs says: Sep 7, 2016 1:45 PM

Browns fans have selective amnesia when it comes to Griffin time in DC

9. jackedupboonie says: Sep 7, 2016 1:49 PM

I will believe he is a changed QB as soon as I see a properly executed slide instead of a ‘I might..oh wait…oh no….ouch my knee just twisted…..hey that guy took my head off ref’ attempt at getting down.

10. asparatame says: Sep 7, 2016 2:00 PM

We’ll find out soon enough.

I say he makes attempts to protect himself but ultimately reverts back to who he is and suffers for it.

11. abninf says: Sep 7, 2016 2:13 PM

I almost feel sorry for the Eagles rookie QB. Just imagine how fast the Philly fans will turn on him if the Browns come to town and beat them.

12. oscarxray says: Sep 7, 2016 2:44 PM

I look for RGIII to improve on McCown’s debut last year and survive the 1st series. Also,RGIII and I have something in common.We’re only 1 win away from tying McCown’s Browns record. I just hope he ties it before I do.

13. sgrvn329 says: Sep 8, 2016 12:12 PM

When you are young and gifted as an athlete you feel that there’s no one that you can’t run by or around. But when you are running a read option type offense you are going to get hit and hit often. When he came out of Baylor he didn’t know how to slide, unlike Russell Wilson who has a baseball background. Andrew Luck was in the same situation he wanted to extend the play and get the first down the same with Big Ben who has made his name by challenging the defense and giving his WRs more time to get open, granted that Luck and Big Ben are bigger QBs than Robert but this is their mentality these guys are born with this, so the coaches have to protect them from themselves. I like how Hue put it to Robert in telling Robert that he doesn’t benefit the team if he’s standing next to him on the sideline.

14. denisob says: Sep 8, 2016 5:23 PM

Washington sure didn’t protect him against Pitt — they sent him out as a receiver on one play and Ike Taylor tattooed him