PITTSBURGH, PA - AUGUST 16: Megan Rapinoe #15 of the United States fights for the loose ball against Diana Saenz #5 of Costa Rica in the first half during the match at Heinz Field on August 16, 2015 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images) Getty Images

Professional women’s soccer player and U.S. national team standout Megan Rapinoe followed the lead of 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and knelt through the national anthem before her team’s National Women’s Soccer League game last Sunday.

Rapinoe, who plays for the Seattle Reign in the NWSL, didn’t have a chance to do the same before Wednesday’s game.

The Washington Spirit played the national anthem before Rapinoe and her teammates were on the field, then released a statement in which the club said doing so was “the best option to avoid taking focus away from the game” because the Spirit organization “respectfully disagree[s] with her method of hijacking our organization’s event to draw attention to what is ultimately a personal — albeit worthy — cause.”

Yes, it was a strongly worded statement.

Rapinoe said after Sunday’s game that her gesture was “a nod to Kaepernick” and said she was “disgusted with the way he has been treated.” Rapinoe also said that “being gay, I have stood with my hand over my heart during the anthem and felt like I haven’t had my liberties protected, so I can absolutely sympathize with that feeling.”

The Spirit statement the anthem was played ahead of Rapinoe taking the field to not “subject our fans and friends to the disrespect we feel such an act would represent.” It said Spirit owner Bill Lynch is a veteran and the “national anthem holds an exceptionally special meaning for this organization.”

It’s not likely we’ll see an NFL team change anything on its highly scripted and highly regulated pregame itinerary to do something similar, but what the Spirit did is surely an interesting chapter in a story that doesn’t feel like it’s going away anytime soon.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
36 Responses to “NWSL team plays anthem early, doesn’t let Rapinoe “draw attention to personal cause””
  1. luvkcchiefs says: Sep 7, 2016 9:04 PM

Love it, if you don’t respect your country then stay In the locker room until it’s over. The rest of us appreciate and love this amazing country we live in, while not perfect it beats anywhere else. This is your job, go donate time, protest or whatever on your time not your employers.

2. tfootball1234 says: Sep 7, 2016 9:06 PM

oh boy…where will this end ?

3. dickshotdogs says: Sep 7, 2016 9:14 PM

And I’m disgusted with you, too.

4. corchamp says: Sep 7, 2016 9:18 PM

You could not be more wrong.

5. kickinpuppies says: Sep 7, 2016 9:27 PM

I’m sure both of the fans watching were thankful.

6. juanweiner says: Sep 7, 2016 9:28 PM

Finally, an organization with balls, even if they are soccer balls.

7. Hu3m4n says: Sep 7, 2016 9:28 PM

Yeah, wouldn’t want to take any focus away from the game that might have benefited from a little ratings boost.

And I thought having nobody watching at home was a business strategy.

8. Gerry says: Sep 7, 2016 9:30 PM

Good, I’m tired of these liberal pukes

9. schultzbrigade says: Sep 7, 2016 9:33 PM

Well played

10. jayyy1985 says: Sep 7, 2016 9:36 PM

Good. No one cares about this guy and his feelings. He’s just a Kaep bandwagon jumper. Screw him.

11. thehatefulnerd says: Sep 7, 2016 9:46 PM

It seems to me that most people who are “disgusted” with Kaepernick feel that way, because of the way he conducts himself and his unwillingness or inability to work hard and help his team win.

Do police have some things to work on? Sure. But Kap lacks the gravitas that someone like Charles Woodson (for example) would have.

When Mohammed Ali came out against the Vietnam War, he had already done something more than wearing his hat sideways and acting like a big shot. He had already proven he was the best. And he had EARNED some respect.

12. Deb says: Sep 7, 2016 9:50 PM

Yes, everything is well-scripted and choreographed in the NFL … sigh. But this decision by the Spirit was a simple way to quickly address a potential problem without infringing on a player’s right to freely protest. The NWSL team has avoided punishing the player while also keeping a political issue from infringing on the game and creating division among players and fans. Seems like a wise move, which is exactly why I don’t expect Goodell to follow suit.

13. antneejay2 says: Sep 7, 2016 9:50 PM

What the Spirit effectively did was draw more attention to her cause than she could have on her own. Brilliant!

14. joecool16280 says: Sep 7, 2016 10:00 PM

Good for them. This has gotten out of hand and it’s about time a professional organization made a bold move.

The vast majority of Americans don’t support the way they are protesting and that’s a fact no matter how the media wants this to become a trend. It’s not creating constructive discussion, only creating a bigger division.

15. cdace13 says: Sep 7, 2016 10:04 PM

Love it!! Yes, I understand they are free to protest. I don’t think they should do it in this manner. How about, get involved? Join a cause? But STAND UP!!!

16. patswhatsup says: Sep 7, 2016 10:04 PM

Those who defend the anthem so heartily have ZERO clue about the subsequent verses. Hilarious.

All the veterans I know personally have said they defend the freedom to protest the government, regardless of what you protest. That’s a freedom that they are fighting for.

17. jaxcliff says: Sep 7, 2016 10:14 PM

“I haven’t had my liberties protected”

Seriously, how can you be so oblivious? Gays are a protected, privileged class in America. You’re fawned over and celebrated.

18. creflowdollars says: Sep 7, 2016 10:15 PM

Lol I am absolutely LOVING how this is playing out, Kaepernick is winning like Charlie Sheen

19. mysterytonite says: Sep 7, 2016 10:28 PM

You don’t feel like your liberties have been protected huh? Well I just wonder how your liberties would be protected as a gay women living somewhere in the Middle East? Sometimes being a pro athlete just isn’t enough for these self serving, attention starved narccissits.

20. tomtravis76 says: Sep 7, 2016 10:42 PM

The home team made the decision, they are the ones paying the rent.

21. snowdood163 says: Sep 7, 2016 10:59 PM

Finally something to like about soccer.

22. ipskipskyblue says: Sep 7, 2016 11:00 PM

Simply awesome!

23. iseek11 says: Sep 7, 2016 11:12 PM

Wow. No class. You’d think with all the struggles women have in society that a women’s league would at least respect someone’s stand whether they agree or not. Rapinoe is taking the heat for her position. Let her. It’s a petty weasel move to deny an entire team the opportunity to participate in a tradition. They didn’t even deny the team. They kept it a secret and snuck the anthem in. Pretty cowardly. Says more about them than Rapinoe.

24. tfootball1234 says: Sep 7, 2016 11:26 PM

Well, one i will say, is if the NFL can`t get this debate started properly then womens pro soccer surely will !

25. roseann894 says: Sep 7, 2016 11:48 PM

The NFL should play it super-fast so it’s over in about ten seconds, so the players don’t have time to sit down. Or maybe disguise it as a different song.

26. amishninjas says: Sep 7, 2016 11:57 PM

The girl that’s gotten rich and famous playing in a uniform emblazoned with the American flag and the letters U S A now feels oppressed by those images? A gay woman has been able to not only play for the national team but also win gold medals all over the world while representing that flag.

That sounds like opportunity to me.

27. diveleft says: Sep 8, 2016 12:00 AM

The Washington Spirit are/is now my favorite NWSL team for whatever that’s worth.

28. brewster1 says: Sep 8, 2016 12:23 AM

“what the Spirit did is surely an ‘intolerant’ chapter in a story that doesn’t feel like it’s going away anytime soon.”

fixed it for you

29. mutantman87 says: Sep 8, 2016 2:30 AM

They ended up drawing more attention by changing the routine and then issuing a press release.

30. eaglesnoles05 says: Sep 8, 2016 3:00 AM

It’s disrespectful. If it’s done in response to disrespect, do two disrespects make a respect?
    Seems silly. Not the cause, mind you, but the action of disrespecting the national anthem and bringing the attention THAT brings upon yourself and your cause. It clouds it a bit… It seems to me that pro and athletes could easily use their voices/platforms to speak/fight for change in ways that don’t show disrespect to a whole country full of millions of people who aren’t their enemies…. but that would be too simple i guess

31. snikerbotloot says: Sep 8, 2016 4:41 AM

“being gay, I have stood with my hand over my heart during the anthem and felt like I haven’t had my liberties protected”

I understand this. It’s a natural thought and I respect that. America has had its darker moments unfortunately. And I’m sure she is right from her POV. But taking a world view, this country has been much better about protecting civil liberties than others in this world.

I love this country. It’s unfortunate that the role models of today seem to have less regard for it.

32. turfczar57 says: Sep 8, 2016 4:45 AM

The fact that you’re gay, play a professional sport in front of thousands (alright hundreds) of people and can kneel during the National Anthem kind of disproves your theory about your liberties not being protected!
    ….or is it all about attention?

33. kahnsbushymustache says: Sep 8, 2016 6:28 AM

She’s gay? Gosh, who knew…

34. elyasm says: Sep 8, 2016 8:46 AM

Well played, Washington, well played.

35. jdphx says: Sep 8, 2016 9:36 AM

LOVE it….

36. laserw says: Sep 8, 2016 11:58 AM

Well, done, Washington. This whole issue is one of those contrived leftist things that means nothing and solves nothing. This is a perfect cause for the selfie generation. Too bad these jerks did not live in the 1950’s and 1960’s when there was real racism, not made up ones. Now we have black on white racism.