Rex Ryan on Bills suspensions: We have strong programs, but we have some issues

ORCHARD PARK, NY - JANUARY 14: Rex Ryan speaks at a press conference announcing his arrival as head coach of the Buffalo Bills on January 14, 2015 at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images) Getty Images

A report from Adam Schefter of ESPN on Wednesday indicates that Bills tackle Seantrel Henderson is appealing a four-game suspension for a violation of the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Henderson was suspended multiple times at the University of Miami and admitted that marijuana use was the reason for those bans. The Bills have had other issues with substance abuse suspensions this year with defensive tackle Marcell Dareus opening the year on the suspended list and since-released running back Karlos Williams earning a four-game penalty while he was still a member of the team.

On Wednesday, Bills coach Rex Ryan referred questions about the suspension to the league but responded when he was asked whether the team needs to do more inside the organization in light of the suspensions. Ryan said, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com, that he believes “we have strong programs” while allowing that “we’ve had some issues.”

Schefter reports that Henderson’s suspension “is related to a treatment” for his Crohn’s Disease, although the particular substance isn’t cited. Marijuana has been found in studies to be a useful treatment for the condition, although the league has taken a hard line against its use for either medicinal or recreational reasons. Ryan, who wasn’t commenting on the specifics of Henderson’s situation, said players have to be accountable because “if it’s against the rules it’s against the rules.”

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Rex Ryan on Bills suspensions: We have strong programs, but we have some issues”
  1. mjd08501 says: Sep 7, 2016 12:26 PM

Henderson smoked to manage the pain from his disease and to try to play again. He shouldn’t be suspended for that, but even if his appeal fails I’m sure he (or anyone else in his situation) would still do exactly the same thing.

As for Williams and Dareus, it is not Rex’s or the Bills organization’s fault that they make bad choices, just the same as it wouldn’t be my employer’s fault if I smoked weed. The argument that somebody else is responsible for an adult smoking weed is idiotic.

2. ravenbiker says: Sep 7, 2016 12:37 PM

mjd08501 says:
    Sep 7, 2016 12:26 PM

************************************

There are many other ways to handle Crohn’s Disease, most of them league sanctioned. Why choose one that is not, if it’s not just another excuse for using?

3. BoulderPhinfan says: Sep 7, 2016 12:37 PM

pot is a much dangerous drug than alcohol. The NFL needs to get into the 21st century.

4. nhpats says: Sep 7, 2016 12:53 PM

BoulderPhinfan says:
    Sep 7, 2016 12:37 PM

———-

I used to smoke a lot of pot in my early 20s. It makes you lazy and dim-witted. I quit. The friends I know that have smoked their entire lives have accomplished little. Even if it is less dangerous than alcohol….so what? It’s not a good idea and if you need it you have a problem….seek help.

5. joetoronto says: Sep 7, 2016 1:04 PM

“Rex Ryan on Bills suspensions: We have strong programs, we won the off season”

6. gjv001 says: Sep 7, 2016 1:08 PM

Rex appears to be the type of person who enjoys pleasing those around him. I sure hope his staff and players are not taking advantage of his good nature.

7. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 7, 2016 1:12 PM

Strong programs? Are you kiddin’ me?

There’s not a coach in the league who has less control of his players.

8. pioniere says: Sep 7, 2016 1:57 PM

——————————————–

If you or your friends weren’t getting much accomplished, it’s because you or your friends were smoking too much, at the wrong times.

Like alcohol, food, or anything else, you need to pick your spots. I have friends who are engineers and lawyers who smoke, and who are extremely successful.

Just because you and your friends failed to control yourselves doesn’t mean everyone else is the same way.

Nothing to excess.

9. GeauxSaints57 says: Sep 7, 2016 3:02 PM

nhpats says:
    Sep 7, 2016 12:53 PM

—————

That has not been my experience, or that of my friends and coworkers who smoke it. We are moderate users, now retired or nearly retired, and many of us have been smoking it for 40+ years.

Some strains make a very effective sleep aid, some are good for pain management, and some just make you laugh. I have never seen a person get violent from pot.

If players were allowed rip a bong on occasion they’d consume less alcohol, take fewer pain meds, and we would likely see a drop in domestic violence as well.

The NFL is on the wrong side of history here.

10. peytonmanningsforehead says: Sep 7, 2016 3:39 PM

“We’ve had some issues”?
    The jills have more issues than TIME, People and Sports Illustrated combined.

11. dispozblcopy says: Sep 7, 2016 4:39 PM

Tick tock, Rex. Only a matter of time.

12. offensivegestures says: Sep 7, 2016 5:01 PM

ravenbiker says:
    Sep 7, 2016 12:37 PM
    mjd08501 says:
    Sep 7, 2016 12:26 PM
    ************************************

*************************************

Yea, why use marijuana with zero side effects when you can pump yourself with aggressive steroids, Cipro, Cyclosporine, and other harsh medications with side effects that require the use of more medications. I’m sure he just wants to “get high”. Stoners, they’ll never learn.