Broncos issue statement regarding Brandon Marshall’s decision to kneel

CHICAGO, IL - AUGUST 11:  Bobby Massie #70 of the Chicago Bears moves to block  Brandon Marshall #54 of the Denver Broncos at Soldier Field on August 11, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images) Getty Images

As of Wednesday, neither the Panthers nor the Broncos expected any of their players to not stand during the national anthem. On Thursday, Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall opted to kneel.

“While we encourage members of our organization to stand during the National Anthem, we understand and respect it being a personal decision,” the Broncos said in a statement.

Because there is neither a rule requiring players to stand nor a Collective Bargaining Agreement provision permitting discipline to be imposed on that basis, the Broncos can take no action against Marshall. As a practical matter, players could be released or traded based on the gesture, as long as there’s no paper trial of comments suggesting that the team based the decision on anything other than football.

Marshall, a key member of the team’s defense, likely won’t be traded or released, for football reasons or otherwise. The coaching staff and players undoubtedly will be asked about the gesture after the game; one interesting angle will be whether coach Gary Kubiak knew it was coming.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
70 Responses to “Broncos issue statement regarding Brandon Marshall’s decision to kneel”
  1. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Sep 8, 2016 8:58 PM

Like anything else in America when someone starts losing money because of this they will figure it out !

2. Hitdog18 says: Sep 8, 2016 8:59 PM

Haha Goodell, you’re powerless to stop them

3. terripet says: Sep 8, 2016 9:00 PM

Anyone player who does not stand should be cut and all owners should stick together on this Move to another country and see how much you miss the national anthem

4. chc4 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:01 PM

Jerk.

5. nhpats says: Sep 8, 2016 9:01 PM

Chump. Kubiak should have sent him to the locker room and told him he is done for the day.

6. dadsource says: Sep 8, 2016 9:01 PM

Sentiment = understood
    Forum = unacceptable

There are other ways. Kids in schools now are doing the same things. I surely don’t mind free speech, but kids are watching, and imitating you. And they think it’s ‘cool’ and ‘trendy’……

Another form of racial divide. I’ll stand with you on police brutality. Commission of a crime doesn’t mean you should be killed if you resist, regardless of race.

Let’s do something classier guys.

7. georgeremus says: Sep 8, 2016 9:01 PM

Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame…

8. nomoreseasontix says: Sep 8, 2016 9:02 PM

Monkey see, Monkey do……

9. catquick says: Sep 8, 2016 9:03 PM

I understand it. I do NOT respect it! Not at all.

10. runtheball says: Sep 8, 2016 9:05 PM

They should be embarrassed by it.

11. jag1959 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:07 PM

Yawn, why is a statement considered necessary?

12. 6andcounting says: Sep 8, 2016 9:07 PM

Congratulations Obama…mission accomplished.

13. bostonisthebestandyouallsukk says: Sep 8, 2016 9:07 PM

Belichick would never allow this. Kubiak is weak.

14. chrisk61 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:12 PM

just a distraction that any good team doesn’t need.

a good team has a good group of player-leaders who would discourage that type of stuff and prevent it from happening.

15. sdelmonte says: Sep 8, 2016 9:15 PM

Good for him. I wonder if he will do the same thing when he plays for the Jets 0n Sunday.

16. igotgamenj says: Sep 8, 2016 9:16 PM

Don’t these players realize they are making millions of dollars playing a game… when the soldiers are putting their lives on the line so they can play the game.

17. staff2cj says: Sep 8, 2016 9:17 PM

Good for Marshall…have the ultimate respect for the guy

18. fartweasel says: Sep 8, 2016 9:17 PM

Who cares. One could say that kneeling shows more respect to the flag than standing does. There are far bigger fish to fry in this country than preference of body position during the anthem.

19. nomoreseasontix says: Sep 8, 2016 9:17 PM

OK… Opening night and they have to make a statement.
    Nice move, Marshall. Like you’re a stud receiver anyway.
    What do you want to bet he gets cut next week?

20. codythao35 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:18 PM

I don’t care, that’s bc I’m not a citizen and never would want to be. America is corrupted. I know I know I should leave this country. Yeah yeah yeah!

21. FinFan68 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:24 PM

There is an easy fix. The team could tell them to stand and show respect during the national anthem or remain in the tunnel until it is over. If they exit the tunnel and then decide to disrespect the flag/nation they could then be disciplined by the team. The teams are scared of taking any action but it is their right as an employer, if they choose, to expect certain behavior while the employee is directly representing the company.

22. maestro1899 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:25 PM

As a Broncos fan living in Denver, I don’t care. I didn’t care when Kaepernick did it a few weeks ago in preseason either.

All of you getting bent out of shape is why this is a story, both on sports sites and news sites.

I honestly don’t care. If the rest of you didn’t either, the story would go away.

23. tortorellasucks says: Sep 8, 2016 9:33 PM

Brandon Marshall is now hurt! KARMA

24. speedkills510 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:36 PM

I say we get a big huge boat..and all the little privlaged whiners no matter what color like Kap can get there assessment on it..Well set it out to sea and they can live in whatever country they land in..Let’s see how much they complain about the USA then…

25. iluvboobs says: Sep 8, 2016 9:38 PM

No big deal. Marshall probally just wanted to sell more jerseys. It’s the “cool thing” to do now.

26. pkrlvr says: Sep 8, 2016 9:38 PM

Marshall just got his bell rung. Hilarious.

27. singletitle says: Sep 8, 2016 9:39 PM

Those who insist on forcing those who don’t care to stand into doing so are making the players’ point for them.

We live in America. Not North Korea. If you’re so into forcing displays of patriotism, maybe you’d be happier there.

28. iluvboobs says: Sep 8, 2016 9:40 PM

Now Marshall is hurt.

At first I thought he was just kneeling again.

29. rodgerstonelson says: Sep 8, 2016 9:40 PM

Looks like Karma, just hit Marshal in the head.

30. nufcedmcgreevey says: Sep 8, 2016 9:45 PM

Maestro, you can leave with Marshall if you don’t care as you say.

31. aprilpa says: Sep 8, 2016 9:46 PM

I wish that the worst thing that has happened to the NFL has been players disrespecting the American flag but this is a league that has employed murderers, rapists, and domestic abusers. I’m far more angry about the violent criminals that the NFL has employed than the nonviolent protests by NFL players during the National Anthem.

32. demskinsbaby says: Sep 8, 2016 9:47 PM

Wow…. This thing is stuck on spin cycle.

33. bucsorbust says: Sep 8, 2016 9:47 PM

When I saw it, I said I hope he goes out injured. Karma baby, it happened.

34. onlyopinionthatmatters says: Sep 8, 2016 9:51 PM

I walked into my living room during the national anthem, and there STOOD my 9yr old with her hand over heart, singing it. Yet a grown man can’t recognize to show a little respect to the greatest country on earth. Glad to know my 9yr old is already smarter then this clown.

35. tecmobowl34 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:51 PM

igotgamenj says:
    Sep 8, 2016 9:16 PM

———————–

Those soldiers also (and more importantly) fight for the right for the man to express himself freely. More soldiers than you think agree with him. In case you’ve forgotten, much of our armed forces are people of color who share the same concerns as BMarsh and Colin K.

36. randomcommenter says: Sep 8, 2016 9:56 PM

Kneeling is not less disrespectful than sitting. The fact they made that change simply for optics shows they are more concerned with how it looks than making a real stand. Anybody who was serious would not care about the optics or the fallout.

These players are narcissists, only doing this because they know a liberal media will make them out to be Rosa Parks.

37. sgtmoon5 says: Sep 8, 2016 9:59 PM

I am sure that the owners and head coaches can make it a team rule that all players must stand for national anthem!!!!
    As the hockey coach for Team America said…… Any player on his team that sits during the National Anthem will be sitting through the whole game. His meaning of course is that they will be benched for the whole game.

By the way, Stephen A. Smith says this hockey coach should be fired for Un-American remarks.
    It is OK for the players to stand and exercise their Freedom of Speech but Smith doesn’t think that people who disagree with these players should be afforded the same rights

WAKE UP AMERICA

38. stevegrogannakedbootleg says: Sep 8, 2016 10:02 PM

Larry Bird was asked why he stood apart from his team during The Anthem ” So I can see the flag “.

39. goraidersgospurs says: Sep 8, 2016 10:10 PM

Everyone cares so much about VETs when it involves the flag, but yet there are thousands of homeless VETs that you walk pass or drive pass each and everyday & could careless about them, SMH

40. Modern Day Einstein says: Sep 8, 2016 10:12 PM

I also stood in my living room during the Anthem.

I work my butt off for the opportunity to make millions less than this guy.

I also have an incredibly high GPA in college, but I have had to take a year off in order to pay for it, because I have zero help and because I am white and work a lot of hours at a crappy job, don’t qualify for free tuition.

Lets have a discussion about inequality, just because I wasn’t born with certain athleticism and didn’t have the opportunities that Brandon Marshall had.

Clearly he isn’t protesting on behalf of me.

41. sewalters79 says: Sep 8, 2016 10:15 PM

I’m starting to hate the NFL and may even quit fantasy

42. saberwolf335 says: Sep 8, 2016 10:18 PM

I don’t care, I don’t think it’s that big a deal. And I’m white and served in the military

43. oldcracker says: Sep 8, 2016 10:26 PM

Drafted in 1970, I spent 30+ yrs in the Army. While I did not understand our position on Vietnam, I fulfilled my oath and did my job to the best of my abilities. Part of the oath I took was to defend the US Constitution, which includes the First Amendment.

I may not agree with flag burning or not standing for the National Anthem, I do support the right of differing opinions from mine. I may not agree with Crapperneck, but I will support his right to his own opinion.

If the Donald can degrade John McCain and other POW’s & MIA’s, Crapperneck can be upset about police brutality.

44. balaspackfan says: Sep 8, 2016 10:29 PM

Go Panthers (again)!!!!!!!!

45. Bo Darville says: Sep 8, 2016 10:49 PM

Plenty of roster spots in the CFL…

46. brawnyhombre says: Sep 8, 2016 11:08 PM

Shouldn’t the Broncos’ attention be focused elsewhere while they’re playing a regular season game? You know, like on the field?

47. defscottyb says: Sep 8, 2016 11:25 PM

Typical

48. couchbasher says: Sep 8, 2016 11:26 PM

What a professional. I’ll be dropping Denver’s D from my fantasy team… Hope they suck!

49. couchbasher says: Sep 8, 2016 11:29 PM

I hope the Broncos lose every game.

50. dmed782 says: Sep 8, 2016 11:38 PM

I don’t agree with every political issue in the USA, but you stand-up to honor the men and women who sacrificed to ensure the liberties and freedom that we as a nation enjoy.
    – If Marshall wants to join Black Lives Matter (BLM), that’s fine … both he and Kaepernick have the liberty to join the protest or financially donate to this organization, but to dishonor the sacrifices of millions of men and women who fought for our liberties is disgraceful.

51. zackattack006 says: Sep 8, 2016 11:48 PM

Disrespecting the flag, the Nat’l anthem and this great nation does not mean you’re making a point. It’s simply insulting.

52. dinodimes69 says: Sep 8, 2016 11:55 PM

Nice kick gano…sincerely blair walsh

53. cuthbert51 says: Sep 9, 2016 12:02 AM

Non-issue when Kaepernick did what he did.
    Non-issue what Marshall did.

54. cuthbert51 says: Sep 9, 2016 12:05 AM

onlyopinionthatmatters says:
    Sep 8, 2016 9:51 PM
    ———————-

I am sorry for what you are having to deal with. I hope that you and your daughter find a way to “untrain” her of doing ridiculous things like this.

You are going through a hell that no parent should. Good luck.

55. tjdvikes says: Sep 9, 2016 12:11 AM

NFL and their sponsors are losing this fan of 48 years as I will NOT watch any game if all the players don’t stand for the Anthem. All about respect! USA Hockey coach Tortorella has it right – If you don’t stand for the Anthem, you don’t play that game. And Jed could give me front row 50 yard line seats and I would tear them up right in his face, and I’ve been a 49’ers fan since the early 70’s.

56. ilovefoolsball says: Sep 9, 2016 12:21 AM

Officially the stupidest protest/controversy/movement/”conversation” in the history of sport.

57. cuthbert51 says: Sep 9, 2016 12:23 AM

OK, I didn’t want to say anything else, but this one HAS to be responded to. Especially with the username attached. It summed up the delusion of someone more than any other one I read here.

===========
    Modern Day Einstein says:
    Sep 8, 2016 10:12 PM
    I also stood in my living room during the Anthem.

I work my butt off for the opportunity to make millions less than this guy.

Clearly he isn’t protesting on behalf of me.

====================

Hey, Einstein:

Good job. You stood. I am sure that made you feel better, but it had the same effect as if you didn’t stand: none.

Congratulations on an incredibly high GPA in college, which means nothing to anyone but you. Do you think that gives you some special outlook on the situation?

The focus that you put on your race shows you have some major internal issues going on. You don’t seem to grasp the intent, if you think it was important for you to try to make you and your race central to your argument. Because what you did only showed that you don’t understand the issue or your place in the issue.

This part was the best:
    “Clearly he isn’t protesting on behalf of me.”

Two ways to respond to that….

1) He wasn’t protesting on behalf of anyone but himself. He isn’t trying to do some sort of protest-by-proxy. He did it for himself and for his view.

2) He wasn’t protesting on behalf of you? How did you figure this out? What gave it aw— “because I am white”. Oh, yeah.

“clearly he isn’t protesting on behalf of me.” I love how ignorant that is. I can’t get past that.

Congrats on having a high GPA. Now how about you go out and live your life and learn about the real world. Because that high GPA? Means nothing to anyone but you and your mom.

Good job, Einstein.

58. mikehawkandu says: Sep 9, 2016 12:35 AM

I can’t wait for Sunday to find out who else will not stand and make headlines for this all about me campaign. This is so riveting they are so brave to do this. The oppression is ending as we see it before our very eyes. What heroes.

59. flairoholic says: Sep 9, 2016 1:19 AM

If you put a police officer’s life in jeopardy you probably will die. It’s 99.9% the criminals fault. Why don’t we stand(or sit) for the police officer’s rights? Yes there are some bad cops out there and we need to ‘weed’ them out. However, let’s not kid ourselves… Idiots seem to be favoring the riff raff over the ones that are serving and protecting us! We truly are heading down a path I don’t think we will dig ourselves out of. Sad

60. afamiliesstruggle says: Sep 9, 2016 1:48 AM

He is a starting linebacker on a super bowl defending champion and is a key part of that defense. Your dream world of cutting him is absolutely stupid. Losing money yeah right the games still sell out and none of the sponsors are going to pull support and lose money that’s not the American way of capitalism people. The NFL is the biggest revenue generating sport in the USA. The bottom line in the NFL is to win games plain and simple and generate bugs amounts of money. As long as he continues to produce he will be oon that team even if he kneels at every game. You all seem to forget that a growing numbers of veterans are now defending these guys and they are using the constitutional rights that this country guarantees. So for a minute stop being so racist and angry.

61. whodatnhollywood says: Sep 9, 2016 2:05 AM

This military veteran has his back. You all are missing the point. People in America are more upset over a “symbol” of freedom, than freedom itself. This man is FREE to be a MAN.

And what about the cause he and Kap represents? You’re more upset over a damn flag than fellow Americans getting executed like ISIS in this nation. People are always talking about China and Cuba’s human rights violations. But what about America The Beautiful who throws rocks and hides her hands!?

Most people on this site and in this country are followers and wouldn’t stand for a damn thing. I respect a person who’s willing to break rank for a cause greater than himself.

BTW, there’s racism in the NFL too. If it were not so, there would be no need for the Rooney Rule. And it’s in the military. I’m a living, surviving witness. You want us to fight for the country, but is this country willing to fight for us? No. So, stop with the “patriotism.”

62. jayquintana says: Sep 9, 2016 2:31 AM

What’s more valuable, the flag or the Constitution? If you believe it’s the latter, then you have to accept this. Of course, you don’t have to like it. And you’re free to speak your mind about it.

Isn’t our country great?

63. tjdvikes says: Sep 9, 2016 2:33 AM

This 48 year fan of the NFL, will NOT watch any game where all players do not stand for the Anthem. I turned off the TV tonight and the NFL and their sponsors need to wake up, as this is the first time in darn near forever that has ever happened. The USA Hockey coach Tortorella has it right – you don’t stand for the Anthem then you don’t play that game! All about respect.

64. subversopus says: Sep 9, 2016 3:37 AM

all you jingoists need to go back to the 1st amendment…freedom of speech. as a Marine this is EXACTLY why i joined the military to allow freedom. There are deep racial injustices in this world, there are battles of indigenous people still fighting for clean air and water on their lands….yet all you conformists will judge a man (and in some cases wish him harm) for having a conscience and exercising his right of freedom to draw attention to the many injustices?

65. browns2014man says: Sep 9, 2016 5:26 AM

Thx for driving a deeper wedge between the races in this country, Brandon. Plain and simple, that’s all this is doing.

66. amaf21 says: Sep 9, 2016 6:11 AM

#trash

67. bullcharger says: Sep 9, 2016 7:17 AM

terripet says:
    Sep 8, 2016 9:00 PM

—————

The idea of telling someone to move to another country because you don’t agree with the nature of their peaceful and lawful protest is worse than kneeling during the anthem.

68. ejmanuelshands says: Sep 9, 2016 7:21 AM

OK… Opening night and they have to make a statement.
    Nice move, Marshall. Like you’re a stud receiver anyway.
    What do you want to bet he gets cut next week?
    —————————————
    Bahahahahahahahah. So much awesome here. Not THAT Brandon Marshall (who IS a stud receiver). But IS a good football player. Not getting cut. I’ll take that bet.

69. Jᴏᴇ dɪ Mᴀᴛᴛᴇᴏ says: Sep 9, 2016 10:25 AM

So there’s more than one disrespectful punk in the NFL. What else is new?

70. dschminck says: Sep 9, 2016 9:52 PM

Edit: replace “paper trial” with “paper trail”.

Dyslexic?