As a head coach, Dirk Koetter apparently will take more chances on offense

TAMPA, FL - AUGUST 26: Head coach Dirk Koetter of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers looks on from the sidelines during the third quarter of an NFL game against the Cleveland Browns on August 26, 2016 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images) Getty Images

Dirk Koetter has done well as an offensive coordinator in the NFL. He possibly could have done even better, if he’d felt free to roll the dice more often.

Now that he’s a head coach, Koetter apparently will.

Asked by Gil Brandt of SiriusXM NFL Radio whether a playcaller who also is the head coach will take more chances on offense, Koetter said this via JoeBucsFan.com: “I think you probably do. Because I’ve worked mostly for defensive head coaches in my career. And when you do you feel like, I can’t let those guys down. Or maybe they don’t want me to be too aggressive. But when you’re the head coach, it gives you a little bit more of a license to say, ‘Hey, we’re going to take a few more shots. And if we don’t get it, then defense, get out there and let’s try to stop them.'”

That’s not to say former Bucs coach Lovie Smith affirmatively tried to keep Koetter from taking more chances.

“I want to make sure that’s a clear point that I make . . . in no way did Lovie Smith tell me as an offensive coordinator, do and don’t do this,” Koetter said. “Lovie Smith was as supportive for me as a head coach could be. Lovie told me what kind of offense he wanted to have, and we tried to emulate that thought.”

Instead, it’s a more general observation from Koetter about the role of an offensive coordinator versus the role of a head coach who calls the plays on offense.

“I will say that when you’re the head coach and you’re the playcaller, you have a license to be a little more aggressive,” Koetter said. “That’s how I was when I was a high school coach. That’s how I was when I was a college coach. Now that comes from inside me, because you have the power to decide. You have the power to decide, ‘Are we going for it on fourth-and-one?’ You have the power to decide, ‘Do we need to throw it deep three times in a row, or do we need to give it to Doug Martin three times in a row?’ And you don’t have to worry about the head coach second guessing you. You are the head coach. So you make your game plan, you stick to your game plan. But I’m not making this up in any fashion. Lovie did not hold us back in any way. Lovie was awesome to work for in that respect.”

That’s not to say there won’t be second guessing of the decisions Koetter makes. Head coaches who call the plays still get second guessed when things don’t work — they just don’t have to worry about anyone on the staff doing it. At least not to their face.

For the Bucs, it’s another piece of evidence pointing to the likelihood that the football will be flying around the field this year. Previously, Koetter said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis believes coaches don’t throw deep often enough. Koetter now has the power to dial those deep balls up without worrying about dirty looks or tough questions from the on-field boss, because Koetter no longer has one.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
13 Responses to “As a head coach, Dirk Koetter apparently will take more chances on offense”
  1. 6ball says: Sep 10, 2016 11:11 AM

A decade of 4-12….when does it end?

2. captainstagger says: Sep 10, 2016 11:48 AM

Winston and Evans are in for a big year. Koetter has been so refreshingly candid, and it’s nice to have a coach that wants to win……not one that coaches not to lose. Put your foot on thier throats and don’t let up!

3. metalhead65 says: Sep 10, 2016 12:02 PM

he is being generous in his praise of lovie, how hard was it to emulate the offense he wanted? hand the ball off and throw wr screen passes until it is late in the game and you have no choice but to throw it deep. then when the defense is expecting it and you don’t score you can blame it on the qb. it worked with a great defense in Chicago for awhile but his lack of of knowledge that offense is part of the game cost him a super bowl and eventually his job.

4. codythao35 says: Sep 10, 2016 12:58 PM

Not a fan of Buccaneer, and don’t have any faith on this coach either.

5. codythao35 says: Sep 10, 2016 12:59 PM

Not a fan of Buccaneers, and don’t have any faith on this coach either.

6. tonebones says: Sep 10, 2016 1:27 PM

I like it. I think Winston and Evans might challenge the all time QB to WR touchdown record before it’s all said and done.

7. captainstagger says: Sep 10, 2016 1:47 PM

I am a fan and this is the best coach since Gruden. What a difference from Lovie, who literally had the QB kneel to end a half with 30 seconds left to play……

8. rdstpa2 says: Sep 10, 2016 2:04 PM

Something good happening down in Tampa.

9. bucsorbust says: Sep 10, 2016 3:25 PM

Hands down Dirk is best coach since Gruden. Unlike Morris, Schiano, and Lovie, Koetter brings an energy and the team feeds off of it. Koetter’s frankness is nice to see…he doesn’t say for example, “We didn’t throw the ball as well as wanted to today.” He instead says “Our passing game stunk today; this is not what we covered this week in practice and we’ll be going back to it Monday morning.” I like that he lets the local media know when they ask stupid questions, and ridicules them when they make what he thinks are stupid inferences, like with ASJ. With the bad reporting by Tampa Bay Times, this is also welcome.

10. hugeheavywoman says: Sep 10, 2016 7:24 PM

Good luck with this guy. He said the same schmeel at ASU, Jacksonville and every where else he has been fired. He is not so good.

11. orangeraider says: Sep 10, 2016 8:06 PM

Talk is cheap.
    Do something but beat your gums.
    8 & 8 if lucky

12. tyelee says: Sep 10, 2016 8:39 PM

Still see them as a 6-10 team… Nothing about that team scares anyone… They will be competing for last place in their division yet another year…

13. wyrdawg says: Sep 10, 2016 11:30 PM

“I want to make sure that’s a clear point that I make . . . in no way did Lovie Smith tell me as an offensive coordinator, do and don’t do this,” Koetter said. “Lovie Smith was as supportive for me as a head coach could be. Lovie told me what kind of offense he wanted to have, and we tried to emulate that thought.”

Lovie probably should’ve told you not to stab him in the back though.