Brandon Marshall defends his patriotism

DENVER, CO - SEPTEMBER 08:  Inside linebacker Brandon Marshall #54 of the Denver Broncos looks on in the first half against the Carolina Panthers at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on September 8, 2016 in Denver, Colorado.  (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images) Getty Images

The NFL, which officially will not require players to stand for the national anthem, unofficially has linked standing with patriotism, which by implication means that anyone who sits or kneels isn’t patriotic.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith has taken issue with this in relation to comments from Commissioner Roger Goodell regarding 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. On Friday, Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall offered similar observations on his own behalf, a day after he opted to kneel for the anthem.

“As far as my patriotism, we have freedom of speech in this land.” Marshall told reporters. “You can do whatever you want to do; that’s the beautiful thing. I can have my own beliefs. I can do what I want to do, so at the same time people can question my patriotism, but I have the utmost respect for this country, for this land and the military. I’m not against any of those entities at all.

“As far as my patriotism, I think that shouldn’t be in question because I’m just upholding my rights. I can protest peacefully. I can stand or sit. I can say what I feel like saying. That’s what our military has fought for, the ability for everybody to be themselves and to be their own person. I’m just exercising that right and I will continue to do that.”

Others have exercised their right to criticize Marshall. He saw plenty of it on what Al Michaels aptly refers to as “anti-social media.”

“I definitely got more negative,” Marshall said. “It’s tough because I didn’t read all the comments. I had so many comments on Twitter and Instagram, I couldn’t go through all of them. I had a lot of positive text messages, but as far a social media, I had a lot of negative, racist comments. A lot of people calling me the ‘N’ word and calling me all kind of derogatory terms. It is what it is. There is a lot of hate out there. I’m not here to spread hate or negativity, I’m here to spread positivity.”

It’s unclear how long Marshall will spread his message in this specific way.

“One of my coaches asked me, he supported me, one of the coaches said, Look, I support you, but what is the end game?'” Marshall said. “He said, ‘Are you going to do this rest of your career? The rest of the season? A couple more games?’ I think that’s a very valid question. This is something that’s been going on for so long. They always do the national anthem at every game, at every sporting event. Once I come up with a good plan, like I said, I’m going to donate. I’m going to do some things in the community. I’ll figure it out.”

Marshall’s head coach didn’t know the player was planning to kneel.

“I told [coach Gary] Kubiak because he was blindsided; nobody knew really about it,” Marshall said. “I told him, ‘I didn’t really want to create a distraction for the team.’ We have one goal and that goal is still to win football games. The goal was to beat Carolina, so why create a distraction in the locker room? I kept it to myself. And, we won the game.”

The potential distraction is now there for the next 15, or for as many as Marshall will decide to keep kneeling.

“I just want people to stand up for what they believe in and stand up for what they feel is right,” Marshall said. “I feel this is right. I’m hoping that other players will take a stand as well, but not just take a stand, but actually actively do something in the community.”

The official count of NFL players who have chosen not to stand for the anthem is now at four. On Sunday, it will be harder for players to sit or kneel, given that it’s the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Come Monday night — especially in the Rams-49ers game — it will be interesting to see how many players choose not to stand for the anthem.

Permalink 126 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
126 Responses to “Brandon Marshall defends his patriotism”
  1. joetoronto says: Sep 10, 2016 8:15 AM

The more sponsors that cut the chords with these idiots, the faster this stops.

2. niners816 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:22 AM

“A lot of people calling me the “n” word”
    _————–
    Oh please! Seriously is this what you guys always revert back to? Do you really believe people don’t like you because the color of your skin? I can guarantee you that people are more upset by your actions, not the color of your skin. Always playing the phantom race card when things don’t go your way. It’s pretty pathetic.

3. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Sep 10, 2016 8:23 AM

Look, most of these guys can’t count to ten without help. He’s just not smart enough to comprehend the gravity of his actions. Check out his grammar – would you hire this guy for anything other than labor?

Bless his heart.

4. amaf21 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:28 AM

#shutupandstand

5. dirtydawg44 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:30 AM

Brandon Marshall……this is America, If you don’t like it, please LEAVE!

6. ramfanmatt says: Sep 10, 2016 8:30 AM

Yes you have the right to sit on the anthem. In turn people have the right to criticize you. The racist has the right to spew their hate. That’s what freedom is, right or wrong. While you have the right to do and say what you want, there are consequences to actions. If sitting on the anthem continues the league may face endorsement loses. What these players are doing is bad for business and is most likely hurting their cause rather than help it. This stunt turns off a majority of Americans, many who would like to join in efforts to help the causes these athletes claim to support.

7. corky2141 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:36 AM

I find this funny: “I just want people to stand up for what they believe in and stand up for what they feel is right,” Marshall said.

So these guys are “standing up” by taking a knee or sitting down. Irony?

8. wwwmattcom says: Sep 10, 2016 8:36 AM

I will care about their beliefs when it’s an event that doesn’t coincide with convenient media attention.

For now, it’s not standing, it’s a camera, there really isn’t a message, there’s just this panic that someone isn’t standinits all about as exciting as the super bowl half time show.

9. tylereifertisunstoppable says: Sep 10, 2016 8:36 AM

How about if as a society, we take a deep breath, and not go off the deep end whenever someone voices an opinion that differs from one’s own.

10. moeman79 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:38 AM

Please don’t call what you think you’re kneeling for Patriotism.

11. jppsblownofffingers says: Sep 10, 2016 8:39 AM

Monkey see monkey do

12. flipt143 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:43 AM

“but I have the utmost respect for this country, for this land and the military.”

Actions speak louder than words.

13. baldy55 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:44 AM

I respect his right to take a knee. The fact he can do it without being stoned to death is one of the things that makes America great . BUT ! With the stage these ball players have they could do something else to bring awareness to their cause.

14. bc781kcchiefs says: Sep 10, 2016 8:44 AM

Mr. Marshall please make an intelligent statement about what you are protesting. What exactly is it – is the welfare system in the inner cities a disastrous system? Is it because a majority of kids not being raised in a two parent family the problem? Is gangster rap a terrible influence and should be outlawed? What is the problem and can you state anything that would help?

I am not denying he has a right to free speech – but in my book you have to Speak, his current method is disrespecting the flag & for that he can go fu himself.

15. vottorific says: Sep 10, 2016 8:47 AM

I hate politics.

16. tonebones says: Sep 10, 2016 8:48 AM

It’s not like Martin Luther King was welcomed with open arms. A lot of us liked the separate drinking fountains. Nothing is going to change by itself. It ‘s always going to require a fight of some sort. Taking a knee is the most mild way to protest. It’s a peaceful battle of hearts and souls. Nobody is getting hurt. Al Michaels has always been to the extreme right wing, so it’s hard for him to hold back. He’s taking part in the counter-protest. And still, nobody’s getting hurt. Al has his rights too.

17. jackdaniels1 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:50 AM

Get lost Brandon

18. jrc007 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:52 AM

Well, actually the NFL didn’t link standing for the national anthem with patriotism, that’s pretty much patriotism 101. Patriotism is defined as love and respect that people feel and show for their country. If you refuse to stand and show respect for your country’s national anthem then what you are doing is not patriotism. Acting within your rights does not make you a patriot. If anything, Kap and friends have linked standing for the national anthem with support for police abuse or social injustice, which should be obviously absurd.

19. mazenblue says: Sep 10, 2016 8:55 AM

Kneeling during the NAtional Anthem is the opposite of Patriotism

20. rc33 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:57 AM

This schmuck is so tiresome. He can do card tricks and juggling during the National Anthem for all I care. Just stop reminding us of the “freedom of speech” thing, OK? We got it.

21. ipdaily69 says: Sep 10, 2016 8:57 AM

The military fights so Brandon Marshall can mock his country….LMFAO
    The miltary fights so prima donna celebs can make it rain in strip joints……Same logic
    The military fights so when Chicago citizens blast each other all over the streets the locals can blame white privilege

22. mazenblue says: Sep 10, 2016 8:57 AM

Exercising you right doesnt make you of good character.

23. glisic says: Sep 10, 2016 8:59 AM

Change arrest counter to (anti)patriotism counter.

24. vikesr4reel says: Sep 10, 2016 8:59 AM

May be he is just using this as an excuse to sit because he is too lazy to stand?

25. maurysline says: Sep 10, 2016 9:00 AM

One of his coaches asked him what is the end game…..and he didn’t have an answer other than saying he plans to donate to something.

Well thought out plan Brandon……deep thinker we got here.

26. dreemeagle says: Sep 10, 2016 9:04 AM

patriotism?

a theme composed by a slaveowner who doubtless took sexual liberties with his “livestock”;

a martial air warning what would happen if that livestock dare rebel at cruel and inhuman treatment unmatched until the Nazis and Japanese a century and two score later?

a song celebrating our attempt at Trump-like imperialism trying to drive the British out of Canada?

not even our anthem til 85 years ago?

a collection of militarist stanzas about a country near half of which populace still believe the President is not only not American–even after having to produce a birth certificate Cruz and Romney never were asked for–but illegitimate and wed to a female Wookie?

a collection of imperial dogma put to music about a country which just this week turned dogs loose on descendants of its original citizens and the only true conservatives, for the “crime” of wanting to preserve the balance of nature and thereby Mother Earth?

somehow kneeling in the face of this and more is ‘unpatriotic’, but the bloody teeth of attack dogs seen all over the Internet harking back to the darkest shame of this Great Experiment, slavery, is?

is this 2016, or 1956…or 1860 “patriotism”?

27. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Sep 10, 2016 9:08 AM

They had best all stand on 9/11 unless they would rather do there cause injury. After that I could care less if they sit, kneel, lay or do the worm. But honoring the fallen without a circus is not too much too expect

28. smokeleccia says: Sep 10, 2016 9:10 AM

Do what every you want, I don’t care, but don’t say you are being “patriotic” for NOT respecting our national anthem. You don’t get to have it both ways. Is it your right? Yes. Is it patriotic? Uh, no.

29. bgsusteelers says: Sep 10, 2016 9:13 AM

I have never felt marginalized or discriminated against by a group in power, so it is not my place to insult or encourage this type of protest. He is, however, correct in saying that he can peacefully protest if he feels it is warranted. I just hope that those who do this, do it with a meaningful purpose and not just because they think it is the cool thing to do to attract attention.

30. sopadegato says: Sep 10, 2016 9:14 AM

“‘I didn’t really want to create a distraction for the team.”

..but he went and did it anyway.

31. Southpaw says: Sep 10, 2016 9:14 AM

That’s how it works. You stand to show respect for your flag and country – AKA your patriotism. If you don’t out of protest, because you think this country is racially divided and black people are oppressed, you don’t respect your flag and country because this is how you view the society it houses, and therefor you’re not honestly patriotic.

You can’t say I love my country, but I won’t show respect for it because of how terrible it is – you don’t get to love it and hate it at the same time. You’re hedging your social status because you want to be a black hero and a proud American at the same time and those are absolutely opposites right now.

32. Spencer says: Sep 10, 2016 9:15 AM

He hasn’t done anything wrong.

33. Lori M says: Sep 10, 2016 9:15 AM

It’s time for the NFL to follow the example set by the Washington soccer team and don’t bring the players on the field until after the Anthem. This situation is about to get out of control with more selfish players drawing attention to themselves and away from the atmosphere of patriotism conveyed during the Anthem.

The NFL is in damage control mode now and they have to stop the opportunity for uncontrolled demonstrations at the fans expense. This week-unequal treatment of minorities. Next week-save the whales. Where does it all end?

34. norseyapper says: Sep 10, 2016 9:16 AM

He can defend his “patriotism” the same way he defends his launching to make helmet to helmet contact with Newton Thursday. Say whatever you want but your actions reveal the truth of it.

35. Sinuous Sausage says: Sep 10, 2016 9:17 AM

You are free to be a douche in America, yes. And we’re free to mock you for it.

36. ricko1112 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:18 AM

If a New England player doesn’t stand Sunday night, there will be a rule requiring it the next day.

Tuck Rule: in place lond before it benefitted NE. In fact, the Jets used it to beat the Pats the same year. Yet it helps NE and it’s gone.

Pass defense: the reason defensive backs can’t look sideways at receivers is because of NE. PEDton Manning and his soft Colts’ receivers couldn’t play with the NE’s D. Slick Bill Polian forced rule changes down the competition committee’s throat to take away the aggressiveness.

Ineligible receivers: in the playoff game against the Ravens 2 years ago, NE used a common formation. The refs TOLD the Ravens players and coaches who NOT to cover. The stadium announcer told 70k fans in the stadium who not to cover. The TV commentators told millions of fans at home who not to cover. The only people left clueless were the Ravens. Boo hoo! Rule change the next year.

37. donterrelli says: Sep 10, 2016 9:20 AM

As the old saying goes: “just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should.”

38. nbptma1 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:22 AM

Idiots (those that kneel and the media that support their act).

If they have to protest, find another means to do so.

Too many Americans have given ‘their life’ so that ‘others’ have the liberty to do what they want, including those in the union army that lost their lives during the Civil War to end slavery.

The least these boneheads can due is to show RESPECT by STANDING during the national anthem and be grateful for those that came before them.

39. niles6590 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:27 AM

Serious question here…to those who say it’s a duty to stand for the anthem and it’s disrespectful not to, do you stand at home while watching the game on TV or do you sit through it? My bet is a few might stand, but the overwhelming majority do not. Put an NFL uniform on and a cause behind the sitting and its a protest. Put your team’s jersey on and grab a Bud Light then sit on the couch through the anthem and it’s what? Unpatriotic? Disrespectful? Laziness?

40. randomguy9999 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:28 AM

“… a collection of imperial dogma ”

—————————————————————

very outrageous statement… The Anthem is a poetic celebration of our enduring military and national spirit in the face of attack

Like it or not, doing things like not standing for the anthem is outright unpatriotic…

these player kneeling for it are being unpatriotic and no PR spin makes it anything else

and their cause? it’s getting lost in the shuffle

41. unruhly27 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:28 AM

Athletes, singers, and actors need to stick to entertaining us. I could give a rats a $$ what you believe. I just want to be entertained not choked with bs

42. sorge225 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:28 AM

Once enough people kneel, everything in America will be okay. Thank you Brandon Marshall, you’re an American hero.

43. 315judman says: Sep 10, 2016 9:28 AM

How’d you like to be the union goon who has to defend these guys?

44. rootpain says: Sep 10, 2016 9:29 AM

It’s simple Marshall. You are in a team uniform at a team event. Our Constitution doesn’t give you the right to say what you want and do what you want whenever you want. And because your dimwitted leader Kaepernick chose to tie this protest to false claims concerning police officers and while doing so, raised racial tensions in our country, your team has no obligation to continue to employee you. By expressing your beliefs while representing your employer increases the risk to the entire team including its fans.
    Simple solution Marshall. Pay for your own venue, protest while on your own time and accept the free will of the people who may shun you for either having those beliefs or because they disagree with your beliefs or may feel that what you believe is true those issues may not be the most important ones that impedes our country’s social justice advancement. That approach would truly be heroic, Marshall. You’re a tough man on the football field Marshall. Bring that toughness on to the field of life and see if your restricted aggressive ways get overlooked as they do by the NFL.
    Yeah, I didn’t think you are so tough.

45. rodgerstonelson says: Sep 10, 2016 9:30 AM

Just because you can kneel , does not mean you should

46. letsberealpeople says: Sep 10, 2016 9:36 AM

I understand y’all’s opinions, but let’s consider another perspective. These guys love their country so much that they are willing to stick their neck out to bring attention to issues. They are asking for others’ help to right the wrong.

In your family and in your workplace, who adds more value – those who keep quiet when something is wrong, or those who are willing to raise a hand and bring attention to the issue?

If your brother-in-law was beating your sister (his wife), and their son raised his hand asking for help, would you call him names and declare that he doesn’t love his family, or would you step in and help? If he raised his hand in a way you thought wasn’t the best way, would it change your opinion? I hope that you wouldn’t care how he raised his hand, and instead, stepped in to help regardless.

This country needs empathy and conversation – not blind hate and prejudice.

Please take 5 minutes to sit in quiet and reflect on why these gentleman are so moved that they are willing to get called ugly names. There are ugly things happening, and they are showing their true love for this country by raising a hand and asking for help.

I’m not trying to start an argument – I’m simply asking for a moment of reflection.

47. fttr2013 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:40 AM

You guys really need to turn the dial down on this patriotism thing. You’re starting to sound like fanatics.

48. izzyb08 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:40 AM

The fact people are missing here is his constitutional rights do not extend into the private sector job he works for. So he does not have the right to freely express himself and should be disciplined as such. The end game for B Marsh and players like him is anarchy and the decline of the NFL.

49. gobuxfla says: Sep 10, 2016 9:43 AM

I have no problem with his patriotism. I hope he has no problem losing endorsements. Freedom swings both ways.

50. bstngrdn says: Sep 10, 2016 9:43 AM

I used to enjoy watching football. Now the NFL has become focused on other things more often than not. I am planning on exercising my right to do what I want and am going to watch something other than Monday Night Football which no doubt is going to further the focus on something not related to football.

51. ncarmchairqb says: Sep 10, 2016 9:44 AM

Let me get this straight. He kneels to protest illegal police violence but then delivers illegal hits to the head in the game. This guy has no integrity. How can anyone take him seriously. If these guys do it best the hold themselves to the same standards they ask of others.

52. bigdbroncsfan says: Sep 10, 2016 9:48 AM

Don’t worry about concussions wrecking the NFL, what Marshall and Kap have done will take care of that.

They hijack an official NFL game, while in uniform, wearing team colors and the NFL logo by making a rude gesture and then tying the gesture to a political statement.

As such, they politicize the event, on the team and NFL’s dime, and become a political spokesperson for their teams. The Broncos and 49ers are no longer football teams, they are political organizations that play football on the side.

In other words, the use the game as an excuse to force their political statements down your throat. And their statement… The anthem and flag represent racism, and if you made an oath to defend the ideals represented by the flag, then you are a tool, or fool for fighting for racism.

I served 20 years in the military, I know what my oath meant, I know that the military is totally apposed to racism, and I know that it is not systemic.

So i am not going to pay my income watching political rally’s every Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. I canceled my NFL ticket. I will boycott the NFL teams and sponsors until they quit insulting me and remove the political gestures from the game.

Thank goodness for NCAA football. My main question? Why introduce politics and by default trash half of your fans? Dumb, and very dumb for the sponsors. I just wanted football.

53. MichaelEdits says: Sep 10, 2016 9:50 AM

Nobody will be watching the Rams-49ers game. Both teams are losers.

54. stampnhawk says: Sep 10, 2016 9:52 AM

Said it before here, will say it again.
    These guys are supposedly doing this for what they believe in…but only once someone else did it first and now figure it’s OK to do?

Believe me, I think Kaepernick is misguided and doing this to draw attention to himself, but at least he had the guts to do it on his own. Everyone else doing this now is flat out posing, and worse, trying to justify their supposed strong conviction for something they didn’t believe so strongly in last week when they stood for the anthem.

55. stonedwhitetrash says: Sep 10, 2016 9:54 AM

Down at the DQ most mornings one can hear “I’m not a racist for I have a black friend, I even give him my empty beer cans.”

56. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 10, 2016 9:57 AM

dreemeagle says:
    Sep 10, 2016 9:04 AM
    patriotism?

not even our anthem til 85 years ago?

is this 2016, or 1956…or 1860 “patriotism”?

8 48

I think you skimmed thru American history only reading the first paragraph. The author of the anthem did own slaves which was wrong yet legal at the time….I suggest you read the rest of his story so you won’t look like such a bigot.
    Another thing , slavery ended 150 years ago so how long are you going to use that as a mental crutch for every imagined slight. If you find what is going on in this country so bad nobody is asking your bitter jaded whining excuse making butt to stay here! Do some research young grasshopper you will find out why people will do most anything to come to America….so leave and make room for a more appreciative person suffering real oppression and poverty…you make me sick.
    Marshall is not the sharpest tool in the box but I think he gets it by wanting to give back. The black sports figures need to realize that a simple gesture is just that…simple. When I see community involvement and support of single mothers I ll you clowns seriously.

57. icallbs81 says: Sep 10, 2016 9:57 AM

The hate in here disgusting.

58. honalulublue says: Sep 10, 2016 9:58 AM

If the idiot had any inkling of patriotism, he’d have made his point any other way than disrespecting the anthem and flag.

As a divided nation, if there’s nothing else sacred about it, are those two things.

59. braddavery says: Sep 10, 2016 9:58 AM

We live in a nation of morons. These players are using the National Anthem as a way to bring notice to an issue, not disparaging it’s relevance. What they are doing is what the National Anthem and our flag represents, freedom. Why are people so stupid.

60. handsofsteelhartofstone says: Sep 10, 2016 10:01 AM

I’d like to see just one owner grow a set and simply state, if you don’t stand at attention during the national anthem, you will never, never play for this organization again.

Art Rooney II will be the first, I pray.

61. boobsmcgoo says: Sep 10, 2016 10:02 AM

“Look at me, I’m doing it too!”

62. unkleruckus says: Sep 10, 2016 10:02 AM

Kap just got San Fran ownership to donate $1million I’d say his protest has been worth it this far. Haven’t heard of any endorsers dropping him yet and if they did, would it equal 1 mill??

63. flavordave says: Sep 10, 2016 10:02 AM

He’s only defending his ignorance. BLM has become an opportunistic cash cow lie. BTW please support Atlantic City officer Josh Vadell as he fights for his life from a shot to the head. Go find under This Blue Life Matters.

64. jag1959 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:04 AM

Freedom of speech/expression means you are free from persecution not consequence. Mr Marshall recently learned that courtesy of a sponsor. As a vet I could care less whether a player stands, sits or kneels during the anthem and I would not presume to judge their patriotism by it. It is not unreasonable that you can love your country even if you believe it has flaws. I love my wife but would rather she wasn’t a Pats fan, nothing is perfect. That said, any player that fails to honor the victims of 9/11 by showing proper respect tomorrow is a clueless fool and they should anticipate a backlash. Those people were murdered simply because they were Americans that expressed themselves that day by going to work to provide for their families. Their murderers did not care what color they were, as far as their killers were concerned every one of them was an ‘oppressor’ simply because they were Americans. As citizens if we can’t all set aside our own agendas on 9/11 then we truly have no idea what patriotism is. Express away on Monday or any other gameday but please leave it alone tomorrow.

65. indytom87 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:10 AM

“I am patriotic and…hold that thought…I need to go take out Cam with my helmet”

66. woodreaux70119 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:10 AM

…i seriously doubt any of these uneducated, “protesting”players have ever read, much less understood, the bill of rights…freedom of speech is only protected from action by the government…any private employer can force any employee to properly respect the national anthem and the flag if they have the cajones to do so (see the NBA 20 years ago)…which, because we now live within the fallacy of BLM that rules the day, hardly anyone, much less weasel goodell, is going to stand up for what is truly legitimate, or conversely, against the illegitimate…

67. diggy1 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:14 AM

I think these athletes need to understand what it is they are actually DOING…

You have the right to burn the flag as a form of protest, but why would burn the flag as your form of protest and then say you respect what the flag stands for.

Disrespecting the flag gets your ideas no where…

If those protesting really understood what the flag means, they would at least protest with contrition when using the flag in their form of protest…don’t take a knee and look completely checked out…if you really love this country and understand what this flag means show it…kneel, and put your hand on your heart…protest with contrition…unfortunately, it’s been protest with complete disrespect, and it’s clear those that are doing it, don’t get it.

68. firecracker87 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:24 AM

“One of my coaches asked me, he supported me, one of the coaches said, Look, I support you, but what is the end game?’”
    ——————————————————————–

This is what i’ve been asking. I don’t get it. Fine, you’re doing something for a cause (I don’t think the football game is the right venue). But what is it you want people to do about it? What exactly are you trying to get done? You’re just raising awareness? Beyond what, the fact that its in the news a lot and everyone is already aware?

I have not yet seen where this sitting / kneeling / etc. is really doing anything. (shrugs)

69. bigotshamer says: Sep 10, 2016 10:24 AM

Some of these same “defenders” of the American flag still pay homage to the confederate flag. Your fake outrage and closet bigotry is obvious to all.

70. blackstrat says: Sep 10, 2016 10:25 AM

This whole “premise” is the absurdity.
    To equate “racism” and race hating to a few (and a few too many) rouge cops who for reasons only they know commit their unlawful actions is wrong and the issue.
    Cops who abuse its citizenry trample on the “To Serve And Protect” motto and ideal.
    We should do all we can to never allow those unbalanced individuals to ever have the badges of Law enforcement.
    But to ascribe the actions to a few(relatively few) bad people to a racist mentality is absurd.
    This is distracting from the means we could all agree to that would put a stop to this kind of bad cop actions.
    Some football player disrespects this country solves nothing it merely distracts and divides us from the mission we should be attacking head on.

71. rufustfirefly1303 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:30 AM

He has no purpose for this exept his right to do so. Figure the rest out later… what a clown

72. turbo2728 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:32 AM

Seems to me the best way to honour the military is to exercise the liberties they fought for.

The people that want to see others harmed for exercising their rights is exactly the kind of thing your military fought against.

73. truevision21 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:33 AM

Congress just passed a bill that will require all of us to sing the 3rd verse of the anthem. Hopefully all of you who are exponentially ignorant to the real issue actually know the words so you can sing your dark hearts out! Have at it! Thank you for being intolerant!

74. markpackman says: Sep 10, 2016 10:34 AM

When someone REALLY wants to take a stand for their cause, they don’t sit and pout like a whiny little kindergartner. They douse themselves with gasoline and light themselves on fire! THEN I will believe it means that much to you…

75. truevision21 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:36 AM

BTW. The NAACP chapter in Brazos County, TX. Was started due to the fact that the white sheriff murdered a black man and then strapped him to the hood of the police truck and drove him through town…..kinda falls in line with those 3rd verse words…

76. patsandwannabees says: Sep 10, 2016 10:38 AM

From an earlier story:
    “Kaepernick also admitted that getting support from President Barack Obama, who stated Monday the quarterback ‘cares about some real, legitimate issues that have to be talked about,’ was helpful in his efforts to fight racial injustice”

When the commander in Chief doesn’t get it and continues to feed these displays as well as legitimize groups like BLM who do as much harm as good….. Instead of trying to FIX THE RACIAL DIVIDE (Which he had the best chance in history to do over his 8 years), how do you expect Brandon to know why he is not standing or what his end game is.

77. 1stargazer says: Sep 10, 2016 10:38 AM

Hey Brandon, how about speaking out in your community about the large number of unwed mothers and absentee fathers. Kids need good role models in their families so they learn to do things the right way, like getting an education and going to work to earn their way in this country.

78. usconstitutionreinvented says: Sep 10, 2016 10:39 AM

Our country was founded by protestors. Protesting is the bases of political change in this country.
    Media ( and most everyone on this page ) has called for non-violent protests. Kap, and all those who came before and those have joined him now, has been able to, in a completely non-violent fashion, protest a problem ( a problem that exists whether you want to believe it or just prefer not to acknowledge the existence of the massive inequity between persons of color and you. Or, maybe, you simply like it this way. I which case YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!!) The flag that represents this country with it’s (our countrys’) glaring racial issues is the perfect tool. If our flag could speak it would say, ” Use me! I am a symbol of freedom and freedom is being abused!!”
    So, Kap, Brandon and all of you brave and worthy Americans keep on protesting. It’s one of our oldest traditions.

79. jargon47 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:50 AM

“Just because you can kneel , does not mean you should”
    _____________________________________

It also doesnt mean you shouldn’t.

80. deepwater805 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:57 AM

I am a HUGE Bronco fan, but I was completely embarrassed , and ashamed during the national anthem. Here’s my take: the NFL should take a strong stand against these divisive actions by their players. A one game suspension for the first offense. A full season suspension for the second. Let’s see how these wealthy angry young men are once their paychecks disappear. They’re disrespecting the country that gave them the opportunity to become wealthy stars. Hey Goddell! You suspended Brady for a couple psi of air in some footballs, but do NOTHING when some of your players are tarnishing your shield the worst it has ever been stained.

81. bigoldred says: Sep 10, 2016 11:03 AM

sorge225 says:
    Sep 10, 2016 9:28 AM

So,….. Lets say every player sits for next week’s anthem. That will make the small minority with bad intentions change their behavior? I try not to be insulting here, because it weakens ones argument, but wow, that is stupid.

82. feelingswillbehurt says: Sep 10, 2016 11:03 AM

If you think the civil war in Syria is a hot mess, just wait till the next one in this country breaks out. Which it will, and soon, by all the signs. I get the feeling that a lot of people are eagerly looking forward to it, too. There are over 300 million privately owned firearms in this country. Anyone care to guess how many the military and police have?
    Combine all those guns with the seething racial and class hatreds this country currently enjoys, along with the clearly evident contempt the ruling political and economic elites have for all the rest of us, and a death toll in the millions is not at all unlikely. Who needs football when there’s a REAL show to watch (and participate in)?
    Get yer popcorn ready!

83. campcre3k says: Sep 10, 2016 11:06 AM

You do not have to stand for the national anthem lol people need to get their panties out their ass. He’s taking a stance on police brutality something a lot of you ignorant people who comment doesn’t understand because you didn’t grow up where he did.

84. slick50ks says: Sep 10, 2016 11:07 AM

Typical donkey trash.

85. nflfan1 says: Sep 10, 2016 11:12 AM

pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says:
    Sep 10, 2016 8:23 AM
    ————————————————————
    Would I kneel during the anthem? No.
    I’m a soldier who serves so he has the right to kneel.

Professional football players have more college degrees than any other professional sport so the comment that “most of these guys can’t count to ten” is misguided and certainly has more to it than anger over someone kneeling. It is comments like the one above and others that refer to this being a “race card” that make Mr. Marshall’s case about this being something MORE than patriotism.

86. lordluvasuperduck says: Sep 10, 2016 11:13 AM

he has the right to do this, it’s part of what makes America great, that we can peacefully protest and not fear retribution from the gov. But tomorrow is September 11, and I hope the protest can wait till next week, because tomorrow everyone needs to get their asses up, and remember what happened 15 yrs ago

87. phillypcp says: Sep 10, 2016 11:13 AM

What an end game. He’s gonna donate money. Way to make a change

88. poguemahonepft says: Sep 10, 2016 11:18 AM

WHAT patriotism? That’s an empty argument – what an IDIOT!

89. knownbutunkown says: Sep 10, 2016 11:19 AM

It’s pretty obvious racism is alive and well still. Just look at these comments smh. Who’s the real “humans “here. .

90. dabears7190 says: Sep 10, 2016 11:20 AM

I’m pretty sure every single person in the entire United States of America has something they don’t like that’s currently happening around them.

SHOULD WE ALL JUST SIT DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM?

Of course not. That would be stupid. It solves nothing. Stop giving these guys tv time. Anyone who doesn’t wish to stand for the National Anthem should do it in the locker room. At the very least, focus the cameras on those who are standing, singing, the flag itself and anything else that shows the patriotism of our country.

I really don’t care if Brandon Marshall and Colin K want to sit during the National Anthem. That’s their right. However, stop making it a story by focusing on them. Focus on actual football, not on what the football players are doing off the field.

I was more disgusted that the camera kept panning to the guy kneeling than the act itself. But, that’s just me.

91. jppsblownofffingers says: Sep 10, 2016 11:21 AM

dreemeagle says:
    Sep 10, 2016 9:04 AM
    patriotism?

not even our anthem til 85 years ago?

is this 2016, or 1956…or 1860 “patriotism”?

————————
    Yet you continue to live here and reap the benefits that go along with it. I will personally pay for your one way plane ticket out of this country if you wish. I’ll wait for your response.

92. xbam says: Sep 10, 2016 11:31 AM

when the first caucasian kneels the internet will explode!

93. illusi0nz79 says: Sep 10, 2016 11:34 AM

NFL players have an entire off season (nearly half a year) to do whatever they want, protest whatever they want, join whatever cause. I have no problem with any player doing so and joining / supporting whatever cause or movement they like.

I don’t pay for game tickets, parking, Sunday ticket or merchandise to have anyone’s political or religious views shoved in my face. I pay for that to be entertained and shouldn’t have to feel like a jerk for expecting to be entertained. If NFL advertised political views and demonstrations as part of their games / product I’d quit paying for them and find something else to spend time / money on.

Yes it’s just the pregame anthem and a short display of blah blah blah. Don’t care. Not what I’m paying for, not what I’m interested in. I’m here for football. Keep it to the 6 months you have off outside of football games and quit using the platform we pay for to get a bigger audience.

Want a bigger audience in the offseason? Work harder to become a better football player / household name and that will take care of itself.

94. jtc258 says: Sep 10, 2016 11:36 AM

As a veteran I fought the right for him to say or protest when ever he wants to.I guarantee he has no idea what he was protesting or why.He saw the idiot QB get pub and saw a opportunity to do the same.Someone like him a year after he leaves FB he will be robbing 7-11.

95. hexy27 says: Sep 10, 2016 11:56 AM

He is wearing the Broncos uniform and being paid to do so. He represents the city that built the stadium, the team that pays him, his coaches, his teammates, and every fan who is in the stadium or at home watching commercials that pay for his salary.

He is flaunting ORANGE PRIVILEGE and the only -ism is that he is a 1% spoiled elitist athlete rubbing our faces in his pathetic display of selfishness.

96. seadan1973 says: Sep 10, 2016 12:11 PM

It’s frustrating, American athletes of African decent are in a unique position to speak to the American of African decent community. Athletes can talk about family values, education, gangs, and drugs in ways others cannot.

It would be more productive for these athletes to be active inspirational figures in education, employment and family values.

It is taking the easy path to simply kneel during the national anthem and then send a donation. It is self aggrandizing, while feeding into the perception that police are bad people.

I have yet to hear of a meaning full conversation started by kneeling during the national anthem.

I would prefer to read that some of these athletes are riding along with police in these troubles areas. Seeing first hand what they are going through before lashing out at them.

Where have our critical thinking, and cooperative problem resolution skills gone?

Many of these issues can be solved in the home, long before the police are ever involved.

Well Kap, what are you going to do next?

97. trailerparkking says: Sep 10, 2016 12:29 PM

__________
    Says the person race pimping on a football site and labeling others. Many white American families immigrated to this country long after slavery. We live in the freest country in the world. Your anti American rhetoric is obvious to all.

98. cazmosis says: Sep 10, 2016 12:32 PM

Brandon, please spend a month in China, Russia, or one of any 100+ other nations, then come back and let me know how “oppressed” you feel…

99. John Harbaugh Is A Sad Whiney Middle Aged Woman says: Sep 10, 2016 12:40 PM

So great, you can exercise your right to protest peacefully and claim you love the country but you intentionally did not stand for the National Anthem… and you released no statement whatsoever about what you were doing or why you were doing it.

Not sure how effective a plan it is to protest for or against something you believe in if you don’t actually tell people what that is.

I

100. partmachine says: Sep 10, 2016 1:05 PM

This is called biting the hand that feeds you. It’s never defended unless the scale is so massive that puny brained people can’t see the forest through the trees.

101. onebuffalove716 says: Sep 10, 2016 1:28 PM

you actually can’t do whatever you want to do. That is why there are laws. Laws are needed to protect society from recklessness. People are needed to uphold said laws. A lot of people are needed to do that. Those same people put their lives on the line on a daily basis. Many others are not upholding the laws but still putting themselves in danger to protect us and the way of life in which we know.
    Its not perfect, no one ever said it was. Of the thousands of law enforcement personnel, some are going to be bad people, racist and misogynistic in their values. But you blame all cops for those bad apples.
    That would be like me lumping you as a black professional athlete in the same group as Rae Carruth or Lawrence Philips. That is both untrue and insulting.
    As misinformed as Kap was on many aspects during his discussion, at least he had a motive, as laughable as it was for a black guy raised by white parents in suburbia. You , brandon marshall, are jumping on the “defend the black person social movement” for no reason other than to say “hey, look at me”.
    I challenge you and especially Kap to spend a week with some law enforcement people and then a week with hair stylists. There is no possible way to simulate the experiences at the academy for somethings in real life. More goes into a situation itself. You cannot duplicate the emotions when you know a situation is not real, try as you might.

102. justsayin70 says: Sep 10, 2016 1:40 PM

He’s confusing his freedom of speech rights and protesting peacefully with doing so in a manner that is blatantly disrespectful. And that is undermining the message he is trying to send. It’s sad that he is too stupid to see that.

103. mysterytonite says: Sep 10, 2016 1:51 PM

Attention starved millennial. So he’s asked what’s his end game and he does t even know, nor has he done anything to support what he’s protesting! (I’m gonna donate) oh yeah, to whom and how much? (I don’t know) Yeah the fact that this genius hasn’t even begun to figure out who/why/how he is protesting tells you pretty much all you need to know. Just a cheap way to grab attention at the peril of his teammates and employer. At least Kaepernick knows why and seems to at least have a plan to help and put his money where his ,out his. Why hasn’t the media pushed up on him and ask specifics on who and why he is protesting and specifically what he is doing about it. Also, I’d l want to know how much money he plans on donating and how much of his free time he intends to donate to his cause. Maybe then he will have my attention. I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling when the cameras go away, this guy won’t utter a peep about it again.

104. metalman5150 says: Sep 10, 2016 1:54 PM

I’m fine with kneeling. You kneel before your master. You take a knee to pray. You propose to your fiancé on one knee.

But sitting down is ompletely a sign of disrespect.

105. ksctychiefs says: Sep 10, 2016 2:01 PM

not a cornhuskers fan…… but nebraska came out of the tunnel in the wyoming game today carrying the american flag, and the pow-mia flag!!…..awesome!!… way to go guys!!…way to go college football!!…..

106. bastardfromhell says: Sep 10, 2016 2:10 PM

What does protesting against police brutality have to do with the National Anthem? If he and Kaepernick feel so strongly about it why don’t they go hold up signs on their days off and protest at their local police department.

107. rcali says: Sep 10, 2016 2:16 PM

This sums up the NFL Employee Protesters: #BasketofDeplorables

108. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 10, 2016 2:17 PM

Even when military personnel came out and sided with Kaepernick, you still have mouth breathers spewing this “disrespect” nonsense. Take the L and sit down.

109. bastardfromhell says: Sep 10, 2016 2:24 PM

The NFL should come out with a new policy that if you plan not to stand for the National Anthem you should stay in the locker room. Those who sit or take a knee should be suspended for that game and fined a game check. The NFL is allowing these cowards to get out of control. The sponsors should start taking a stance as well and start pulling their advertising from the NFL. Problem solved!

110. tnt2003 says: Sep 10, 2016 3:04 PM

Brandon, you have every right to express your freedom of speech on this.

And so do I.

You are a total moron for disrespecting the Flag and the National Anthem.

In my opinion, you have chosen the wrong platform and venue. You have made it about yourselves. Just play the game.

That is the only reason I tune in.

111. pftreader69 says: Sep 10, 2016 3:16 PM

“it will be interesting to see how many players choose not to stand for the anthem.”

No, it won’t.

112. j0esixpack says: Sep 10, 2016 3:47 PM

Here’s the thing

Marshall has been drawing attention to causes like mental health for years – wearing green cleats and taking a $10,000 fine in the process

He’s got credibility in my book – this isn’t new for him – he lives it – Kaep is a bit of a Johnny come lately and didn’t do his cause a lot of good in my opinion

If this country isn’t the way you like it – own it and get active and involved. Don’t just stand or sit there

But Marshall again has been doing good works for years – he’s earned his credibility

113. condor75 says: Sep 10, 2016 4:56 PM

Maybe they both should have stood there with an American flag in one hand and a confederate flag in the other. I am sure that would be fine. I mean our congress held up Zika funding because of the association of the confederate flag and “patriotism”. Maybe some of you need to focus as much energy on why they are protesting as you do on how they are protesting. Standing up doesn’t make you patriotic if you treat your fellow American in an indecent fashion. In facts it makes you a hypocrite to say the least. If the shoe fits, wear it

114. lambeaudungbarn says: Sep 10, 2016 5:14 PM

Seems like every time you want to express A White persons perspective on this, It is considered Racist, and deleted… and not freedom of speech and deleted. no win here, not worth the use, nothing will change.
    The division will continue to grow so will the hate.. Helter Skelter.

115. phinfan says: Sep 10, 2016 5:15 PM

America has become weak. Weak minded, Weak work ethics, Weak spirited…

Que the Chinese take over!

116. swineflooo says: Sep 10, 2016 5:16 PM

What a bunch of idiots. Sheep all of em. Based on lies and funded bg George Soros

117. swineflooo says: Sep 10, 2016 5:18 PM

Its my consititutional right to let these idiots know that is a privilege to be an American, and if these idiots disrespect our flag and our country, then let them find a country that suits their needs better

118. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 10, 2016 5:21 PM

So, was that rambling, garbled, illogical missive issued before or after The Other Brandon Marshall had his bell rung in the Thursday Night game?

119. honalulublue says: Sep 10, 2016 5:36 PM

——————————————————

It’s SF. nuff said.

120. nhpats says: Sep 10, 2016 5:52 PM

Hey Brandon, what are you doing to protest the black on black violence that will take hundreds of lives today alone in this country? What are you doing to protest the 70% of black men that abandon their children in this country? Are these not larger problems?

121. tjdvikes says: Sep 10, 2016 6:01 PM

Not about patriotism, it’s about respect; and your ACTION shows disrespect, so don’t care what you’re saying. I turned off that game, and won’t watch any NFL game where this disrespect is shown. So the sponsors, who are paying anywhere from $300,000 to $700,000 per 30 second commercial, will get NONE of my eyeball time.

122. hexy27 says: Sep 10, 2016 10:35 PM

j0esixpack says:
    Sep 10, 2016 3:47 PM
    Here’s the thing

————————————————

You know the Jet (former Bear and Bronco) WR and the Bronco LB are not the same guy, right?

123. cuthbert51 says: Sep 11, 2016 12:14 AM

The disgusting thing about this story is the negative reactions by people who thinks this matters one single bit.

You guys have major issues.

124. sf says: Sep 11, 2016 7:22 PM

To everyone who’s angry about this — this is America, if you don’t like it you can leave it. But better yet, make America better by how you live, instead of how you get angry at others.

125. brooksleyborne says: Sep 11, 2016 9:02 PM

No NFL in our house. Turning the TV off. Not buying products of any sponsors to NFL.

I am sure this Rhodes scholar knows that the National Anthem is about William Williams, the black Union soldier who stood by the flag and guarded it through the “perilous fight” and was the reason “our flag was still there.” He’s protesting the anthem that pays tribute to a black man and his patriotism. Irony.

126. Mike Morales says: Sep 17, 2016 8:34 PM

Sundays are soon to be free for me. After I settle with a few legacy fantasy leagues I committed to there will be no more #NFL in this house.
    I feel sorry for Jerry Jones who is a patriot and understands the erosion beginning to take place before our eyes.
    Sorry Jerry, Goodell left you good owners without cover. He let the gladiators take over the colosseum.
    As for the players protesting they call that cra_ping your own nest.