Four Dolphins take knee during national anthem

Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill (17) hands off the ball to running back Arian Foster (34) during warmups before an NFL football game Friday, Aug. 19, 2016, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth) AP

Four Dolphins players took a knee during the national anthem before Sunday’s game in Seattle.

All four — Arian Foster, Jelani Jenkins, Michael Thomas and Kenny Stills — held a hand over their hearts as the national anthem played.

The Dolphins released a statement as the game started that read: “We encourage all members of the organization to stand at attention during the national anthem out of respect and appreciation for the freedoms we are afforded as Americans. We also recognize it is an individual’s right to reflect during the anthem in different ways.

We respect those liberties and appreciate the sacrifices that everyone has made for our country, especially on this day of remembrance. We hope today’s events will continue a respectful and thoughtful dialogue in our community on unity, inclusiveness and togetherness.”

On the other sideline, the Seahawks linked arms as they stood for the national anthem.

Permalink 88 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
88 Responses to “Four Dolphins take knee during national anthem”
  1. stampnhawk says: Sep 11, 2016 4:22 PM

Disrespectful. And, posers when don’t have their own original thoughts.

2. jbird056719 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:22 PM

Let’s hope their sponsors cut them loose tomorrow.

3. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 11, 2016 4:22 PM

On 9/11 no less. Kiss those endorsement checks goodbye.

4. williamxl22 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:25 PM

Another reason to hate the Dolphins.

5. melonheadsdaddy says: Sep 11, 2016 4:30 PM

Classy individuals. Some things supersede your individual beliefs. STANDING on the day in US history where we need to be the most United is one of those things…as a vol fan I must say I’m super disappointed in arian foster. Lead by example…

UNITED we STAND. DIVEDED we FALL.

6. finsbooyah says: Sep 11, 2016 4:31 PM

I’m a Dolphins fan and I’m absolutely disgusted by this.

If it was up to me, they’d all be cut tomorrow.

7. brianav036 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:32 PM

I am usually ashamed of my beloved Dolphins because of their record. Sadly today it is because a few selfish players chose to make a day of remembrance about themselves. A day where we ate supposed to remember the thousands of lives lost to the real enemy. A day where some were left with 2 choices….Jump to your death or burn to death…….Disgusted

8. stampnhawk says: Sep 11, 2016 4:34 PM

Does Foster still pimp himself to the human stock website along with Vernon Davis?

Sherman hit Foster on the first series harder than I’ve seen Sherman hit a guy. Players know who are the posers too.

9. hokies4life says: Sep 11, 2016 4:34 PM

9/11 = “never forget”
    Slavery of Blacks in America= “it happened hundreds of years ago get over it already” Smh

10. lanman11 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:34 PM

I’m so glad the Pat’s didn’t sign Arian Foster. If they had, he be cut by morning though.

11. nomoreseasontix says: Sep 11, 2016 4:36 PM

… and a breathless nation paid no attention.
    Old news.
    Moving on…

12. lanman11 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:37 PM

I’ll add that he would have been benched for the game by BB…..he wouldn’t stand for that, especially on 9/11….

13. turtlefox1 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:41 PM

Just watched the Dolphins Star Spangled Banner and the Cowboys Star Spangled Banner. What a difference! The Seattle game Star Spangled Banner was painful. The camera work only went to the people making political statements. Even when the game first started they went immediately down and gave attention to the situation by using a sideline reporter. Vs in the Dallas game Bush was very respectful for the situation the announcer said for everyone to stand, and the camera gave no attention to anyone kneeling or grasping arms if they were doing so at all. I had to change the channel from the Dolphins game, I could not watch it, it was sickening. The Dallas game is the one I will be watching.

14. jakec4 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:43 PM

hokies4life says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:34 PM
    9/11 = “never forget”
    ——————————————

Filthy rich athletes can really relate to this, or just decide to draw pointless attention to themselves on the anniversary of a national tradgedy? These jerks can let it rest for a day. Even the presidential candidates are doing it.

15. CJ says: Sep 11, 2016 4:44 PM

No mention of what the eagles and browns did in that game? That deserves an article.

16. Bubbalicious says: Sep 11, 2016 4:44 PM

Absolutely their right, now I’m taking a knee from watching the game, I recommend the same to those who don’t think disrespecting the flag is the right way to protest.

17. Iknowitall says: Sep 11, 2016 4:44 PM

4 Losers

18. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Sep 11, 2016 4:47 PM

So happy for these guys. People expect these guys to stand for the anthem while the government is still in bed with the Saudis?

19. Bubbalicious says: Sep 11, 2016 4:47 PM

Same thing tonight, I’ll turn on the Pats. If anybody takes a knee; I’ll turn it off, watch something else. Any knees at any game I’m turning it off.

20. va4favre says: Sep 11, 2016 4:50 PM

If you believe in free speech, it is not always easy. Today as the anniversary of 9/11, it is not easy. I rewatched the original telecast as I do almost every year. People jumping to their deaths from the towers never gets easier despite 15 years passing. I wish they would have found another way.

21. runtheball says: Sep 11, 2016 4:51 PM

If these guys really want to raise awareness, why don’t they get the NFLPA to start a campaign and all of the players can make donations instead of just trying to draw attention to themselves.

22. backintheday99 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:51 PM

And how many people will die in Liberty Sq. over the next week?

Go to north Miami and do SOMETHING positive.

23. lanman11 says: Sep 11, 2016 4:52 PM

Not all lives matter to all people is the message I get out of this. Certainly not the ones lost 15 years ago today….

24. flaccojumpball says: Sep 11, 2016 4:53 PM

melonheadsdaddy says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:30 PM

UNITED we STAND. DIVEDED we FALL.

I find this hypocritical and insensitive. Your individual belief is that these men should be standing for the anthem that was written by a slave owner. But yet you can have the nerve to question them and individual beliefs. Nothing is bigger than The Movement right now. Black Lives Matter always. They have already said that it’s not meant to disrespect any victims or 1st responders on 9/11. If any views need to be changed its yours. You need to be more accepting of the views of social justice. Its a racist anthem and the police need to go.

25. notjohnfrusciante says: Sep 11, 2016 4:58 PM

hokies4life says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:34 PM
    9/11 = “never forget”

———————————————————————————–

I’ll take false equivalency for $2000, Alex!!!

Seriously, I suggest you get up off your arse and study. Perhaps you’d then be able to comprehend the pettiness of your argument and come off sounding less like a dolt.

26. ilovemyravens says: Sep 11, 2016 4:58 PM

Awesome!

27. eoyguy says: Sep 11, 2016 4:59 PM

Just let it go. How does this effect your life or my life in any meaningful way? Believe it or not, there are many other things going on that you probably disagree with as much as, if not more, than this. But its happening, you don’t know, so it doesn’t matter. Worry about the things in your life that really matter, things that effect you and that you can control. Otherwise you will just spend your time venting your frustration over one thing or another, instead of enjoying the life that you have. Its football, its four guys you don’t know, and its a game. So what…

28. c1ce091b says: Sep 11, 2016 5:01 PM

Well, after this stunt, I lost my interest in Dolphin’s football. Don’t look for my family purchasing any tickets or watching them on TV.

29. manderson4150 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:02 PM

I’m sorry but go ask the FDNY, the NYPD and the PORT AUTHORITY POLICE surviving family members how their lives have been since 9-11. Also all the first responders who have died because of exposure to whatever at ground zero….these players couldn’t stand…..not good

30. laserw says: Sep 11, 2016 5:02 PM

These players should be suspended for a year and paid 1 cent for their contribution to free speech.

31. YouCryin?PatsMustBeDoingTheirJob says: Sep 11, 2016 5:03 PM

Typical Miami. Can’t get anything right. Zero playoff wins since 2000 for a reason.

32. YouCryin?PatsMustBeDoingTheirJob says: Sep 11, 2016 5:03 PM

Nice drop by Stills too. Karma.

33. stinkymcmulligan says: Sep 11, 2016 5:05 PM

…and those 4 are a disgrace.

34. swineflooo says: Sep 11, 2016 5:06 PM

Disgusting

35. bringmemysoiledfool says: Sep 11, 2016 5:06 PM

I guess Arian doesn’t need those Toyota and Under Armour endorsments anymore.

36. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 11, 2016 5:08 PM

hokies4life says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:34 PM
    9/11 = “never forget”

36 49

My relatives were victims of Nazi persecution….more recent and more horrific than slavery but I have moved on . Time to hike up your sagging pants and get a pair you excuse making clown.

37. rootpain says: Sep 11, 2016 5:10 PM

ReligionIsForIdiots says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:47 PM
    ==========================
    Haha, best joke of the day. Oh, it wasn’t intended as a joke? You are such a fool.

38. nbptma1 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:10 PM

Show me a team with these players taking things into their own hands and I’ll show you weak management from ownership to head coach.

Weak.

39. randomguy9999 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:10 PM

hmmm

embarrass your employers

spout an excuse

and do nothing meaningful about the real issue

40. melonheadsdaddy says: Sep 11, 2016 5:11 PM

@flaccojumpball

All lives matter my man. All lives. Especially today. Sorry you feel that way but you can have your opinion. Own it as I will mine.

41. notjohnfrusciante says: Sep 11, 2016 5:14 PM

flaccojumpball says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:53 PM
    melonheadsdaddy says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:30 PM

UNITED we STAND. DIVEDED we FALL.

———————————————————————————-

Wow. I seriously don’t know if this came from a real person or if this is a parody account sent here to astroturf by the Trump campaign in hopes of denigrating the opinions of liberals. For your sake, I hope the latter. No one can be this out of touch and figure out how to get on the Internet. Right?

42. jmethane says: Sep 11, 2016 5:15 PM

Meanwhile the Seahawks that everyone was huffing and puffing about the last couple days were all standing arms linked all respecting and enjoying the national anthem. Humming along with eyes closed…

You won’t ever admit you were wrong but you know you were.

43. donbat67 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:16 PM

Why does Dan Fouts hate the dolphins …….is he jealous of Dan marino still ?

44. lizardlickk says: Sep 11, 2016 5:16 PM

————

Social justice? Taking a knee isn’t social justice. Actively making a difference could certainly be considered such. Believe it or not, BLM is a hate group filled with just as much racism and vitriol you speak of.

45. jimnaizeeum says: Sep 11, 2016 5:16 PM

Booooooooooo, that is what they should hear all season

46. outtherebad says: Sep 11, 2016 5:17 PM

Many of you sound absolutely stupid; Knowing good and damn well you couldn’t care less about this country. You don’t care about veterans. You don’t concern yourself with the rights of all. You don’t care about 9/11 or you would care about April 19, dec. 7, june 19, or more importantly may 31. So miss me with that fake hegemonic, self righteous false patriotism. If you cared so much, the top 2 presidential wouldn’t have a shot and there wouldn’t be servicemen (whom you say loudly you love) on the streets. But let me guess… If they were seated for breast cancer, or gay rights, or your political candidate, then it’d all be good.mbut since it’s bringing light to….. Nevermind

47. onebuffalove716 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:19 PM

forget”

48 55

All I see is complaint about oppression and slavery. Don’t see any of you giving remembrance to the whites who died in justification of your cause. Until you start admitting that whites died to end slavery, you’re words mean nothing.
    I also don’t hear you crying about blacks in Africa who are holding other blacks for slavery. So make it about race because it fits your propaganda.
    As far as 9/11, I saw videos and pictures of blacks helping whites and vice Versa because we were all attacked and we all stood together for a short period of time.
    The terrorists didn’t care about race when they attacked US… Not white, not black or Asian, man or women. Hell, they didn’t make sure there were no Muslims in the towers or the planes. They attacked Americans. They didn’t care about race, even if you do.

48. MiamiDolphinsNationTravelingtoSeattle says: Sep 11, 2016 5:20 PM

as a dolphins fan at this game I am truly embarrassed and apologize to anyone offended by these selfish players on September 11th of all days.

49. jim9660 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:28 PM

The Dolphins? No surprise here.

50. tjdvikes says: Sep 11, 2016 5:31 PM

Bubbalicious says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:44 PM

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Right there with you Bubs, I will not watch any game in which there is disrespect shown during the Anthem.

Hope the sponsors will soon figure out they are not getting their money’s worth out of the $300,000 to $700,000 per 30 second commercial since so many of us are tuning out because of this.

51. rhd366 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:32 PM

I hope the Miami players who knelt for the playing of the National Anthem lose any vendor endorsements they may have. Losers, all of them.

52. ncphinsfan says: Sep 11, 2016 5:32 PM

What a shame that 4 Dolphins decided to shame the Team because it will overshadow the fact that they are playing well against the mighty Seahawks and if not for a Stills dropped ball they would have the lead. Tannehill is so screwed with Stills and Cameron.

53. donbat67 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:34 PM

If Kenny Stills could catch a ball in a game that would be great .

54. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:36 PM

I’ve supported the rights of the players to protest as this country was founded on protest, but not today. This was a time to let personal feelings take a rest and respect the country.

They have to know quite a few police and first responders died in the towers, and suffer with illnesses today from the ordeal.

There is a time and a place for everything, and today was about as wrong a time and place for this display as I can imagine. Disgusting

55. socratesunited says: Sep 11, 2016 5:37 PM

It’s my right to dislike their sign of disrespect on this day of memory and mourning for so many.

56. emmitt22bates40 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:38 PM

And all four of them will probably have terrible games because their heads aren’t focused on their jobs. I must say I’m tired of this sideshow these guys keep putting on.

57. Ramasez says: Sep 11, 2016 5:41 PM

Apparently athletes were born rich and can’t relate because of there upper class upbringing.

58. thisdj84 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:46 PM

take action not a Knee….you want to make a statement? show what you are doing to promote change!!! Taking a knee is only showing disrespect!!!

59. valentino8100 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:48 PM

Ungrateful morons. Get out of the country, now. Just leave.

60. plum54 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:50 PM

Chippy this is your team! Disgraceful!

61. cross300 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:51 PM

Just another reason to not like the dolphins. The title should read “losers unite.”

62. justsayin70 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:57 PM

Blacks showing their own racism. Pathetic hypocrites.

63. ricko1112 says: Sep 11, 2016 5:59 PM

The Dolphins usually wait for the game to start to take a knee.

64. nflinvegas says: Sep 11, 2016 6:00 PM

Colin'(“Jim Jones”) Kaepernick cult is growing.

65. bringmemysoiledfool says: Sep 11, 2016 6:11 PM

Maybe if Stills were more focused on the game he would’ve caught that gift of a TD. Individuals do not belong on the football field, teams do.

66. barrywhererufrom says: Sep 11, 2016 6:13 PM

If the media called them out this would stop. It doesnt fit their agenda so they get a pass. The media is a joke and the teams that let this happen on all days of 9-11 should be ashamed of themselves.

67. YouCryin?PatsMustBeDoingTheirJob says: Sep 11, 2016 6:25 PM

plum54 says:
    Sep 11, 2016 5:50 PM

Chippy this is your team! Disgraceful!
    —————————————————–

Yeah, nice team you got there, chippy. No wonder you are so miserable.

68. tjdvikes says: Sep 11, 2016 6:26 PM

usually root against Seattle, but not today, since they had everyone standing in respect for the Anthem.

Hope they beat Miami every which way today, as the Dolphins had 4 players DISRESPECT the Anthem. On 9/11?
    Really?

69. JSpicoli says: Sep 11, 2016 6:37 PM

Now I am mad I took MIA on the moneyline.

70. patswhatsup says: Sep 11, 2016 6:49 PM

The funny thing? Not a single commenter on here stood in their living room during the national anthem. Guaranteed.

HOW DARE THEY EXERCISE THEIR RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION?

When will people understand that protesting in this way does not protest our soldiers, our police, our defenders of justice. It protests SYSTEMS designed to perpetuate the white culture as dominant. It protests the INEQUALITY of justice APPLIED to black people vs. white people.

These same people that call it ignorance and disrespect are the same people that said if the government banned guns, they’d kill anyone, including police or government officials, that came to collect guns.

Gotta love those who cherry pick what parts of our history they love.

Any of you read the subsequent verses of our national anthem? If so, you’d know why we only sing the first one.

The ‘all’ in all lives matter is the same ‘all’ in “All men are create equal.”

Our founding fathers said “All men are created equal.” then proceeded to murder native american men, women, and children en mass, and enslaved black men, women, and children. Sounds a little hypocritical no?

71. charger383 says: Sep 11, 2016 6:52 PM

I saw about 20 men with flags standing on interstate bridge while these 4 were doing their thing

72. nbptma1 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:06 PM

Not only is it 9/11 but is also designated as a “Day of Service and Remembrance”. And this is how they choose to ‘remember’ 9/11 with protest for their own cause?

Seattle, Miami, KC and all the other boneheads should have played in NY today. Had they done this in Met Life Stadium, the fans would have taken care of them.

Pate Carol, your a disgrace.

Also, just watched NBC evening news that choose to give Seattle, Miami and KC protests air time w/o an opposing view about how others feel about their protest on this “DAY OF REMEMBRANCE”

73. rcali says: Sep 11, 2016 7:43 PM

Hey NFL, you have a new sponsor, The Black Panthers….congrats on that!

74. patswhatsup says: Sep 11, 2016 8:10 PM

melonheadsdaddy says:
    Sep 11, 2016 5:11 PM
    @flaccojumpball

____________________________________

Same ‘all’ from all lives matter in “all men are created equal” my man. That founding fathers saying? It didn’t apply to black people or native americans or anyone other than caucasians. Fact.

75. whodatnhollywood says: Sep 11, 2016 8:18 PM

This military veteran supports these guys. America wants Black military personnel to fight for YOUR rights, including the first amendment, but not allow the citizens to exercise them!

Just as NRA members can have guns, exercising their rights, these players are doing the same. Where’s your rage regarding people walking around with guns like it’s the wild, wild west!?

This single issue has pulled the curtain off racist America like none other! The cancer is FAR WORSE than believed. It has metastasized but the righteous people of this nation will be the chemo to heal it.

It’s amazing how America wants to be so patriotic regarding 9/11 and this flag non-issue, yet with millions of homeless, jobless, disabled veterans getting no help and there’s no outcry. Where’s your patriotism for my fellow vets who are White, Black, Asian, Latino and more? Where is it!!!?

I wish every Black player shows strength in numbers by joining Kap? Then what? Are you going to shut down the entire league? How pathetic!

America is the MOST RACIST nation in the history of the world! People are more ticked over a decorated peace of cloth than executed lives that have dominion over all things. Go figure!

Only in America the Racist!

76. duffelbagsports says: Sep 11, 2016 8:18 PM

77. scandiman says: Sep 11, 2016 8:32 PM

duffelbagsports says:

“The same people saying respect the flag and the anthem disrespected the president booing as he made a taped 9/11 message in NFL stadiums. Talk about hypocrisy.”

——-

“We are Americans and we have to right to disagree with this administration or any administration” – Hillary Clinton

78. cdace13 says: Sep 11, 2016 8:54 PM

Hey patswhatsup? I stood for the anthem in my living room!! I always do!! Don’t EVER make statements without facts. I don’t expect everybody to do the same. My father was in the military and I do it as a sign of respect and have for as long as I can remembers. Take your guarantee and shove it!!

You also keep bringing up the anthem and the meaning of it and slavery etc. Why are WE paying for what was done 150-200 years ago?!?! You don’t bring up how many white men died to end slavery!! Yet you talk about racism in the anthem. Look in the mirror dude!!

79. jmethane says: Sep 11, 2016 9:06 PM

Pate Carol, your a disgrace.

——————————————————

What did Seattle do today that has you all up in arms? Do tell, this should be interesting.

Rather than follow along in protest with nothing to offer, the Seahawks linked arms black/white/black/white to LEAD by example and show the solidarity needed to overcome the issue with love and humanity.

There will always be racists, not much you can do about ignorance. However, I think they were speaking to everyone else. Those that can think and change what’s wrong if they desire to.

Pate? A disgrace? For loving his team and locking arms standing for the anthem? Got it…

80. prs250player says: Sep 11, 2016 9:25 PM

hokies4life says:
    Sep 11, 2016 4:34 PM
    9/11 = “never forget”
    _______________________________

Uh, I think you need to read a little history. Slavery as a legal institution ended in 1865, which is 101 years ago, not hundreds of years ago, as you claim. Practices like convict leasing and debt peonage, where blacks were convicted of petty crimes by corrupt southern legal systems and sold into servitude illegally, continued well into the 1920s. Go watch the documentary “Slavery By Another Name” if you don’t believe that this actually happened. Regardless of whether you personally want to believe it or not, the brutal and often legal oppression of African Americans and other minorities in this country was only addressed in a serious legal manner less than half a century ago and just because laws were written to help guarantee equal treatment, than in no way means that equal treatment is a reality. Burying your head in the sand or putting your hands over your ears and singing “la la la la la la, I can’t hear you” like a little kid won’t change reality.

81. easyeddie says: Sep 11, 2016 9:46 PM

The shame is in the black community itself – it’s weak-kneed acceptance of gang culture and its head-in-the-sand attitude towards the continuing massacre of young black men by other black men.

82. joe0523 says: Sep 11, 2016 9:56 PM

As a dolphins fan for over 25 years and always reading these comments but hardly ever commenting I can say I’m finally done. If the new coaching staff and management supports this then i no longer want anything to do with this team. It’s unfortunate but it is what it is…..so long you disrespectful uneducated drama seekers.

83. vicksdawgpound says: Sep 11, 2016 10:26 PM

LoL I think actions like this make people more racist. YouTube black lives matter and get past the first few videos then you get black people rioting and attacking people, destroying there own neighborhoods. It’s embarrassing lol. It’s a racist movement that’s all it is. Of course the main people collecting all the donations is saying it’s about equality but the people supporting them are racist people and are going no where fast.

84. glenn66 says: Sep 11, 2016 11:14 PM

Honoring the flag is the absolute very least thing an American can do to show respect for our country and all it stands for by honoring those who died protecting our freedom. You may disagree with issues we face in society and there are ways to express your protest, but the one thing you dont do is disrespect all Americans by not honoring our flag at every opportunity. Those who dishonor our flag dont deserve the privilege to be considered American.
    Boycotting the NFL and the companies who advertise and support this abomination of respect.

85. scrap7681 says: Sep 12, 2016 12:03 AM

Stay away from the games, no sellouts will cause TV blackouts……. which causes lost revenue. Time to make our stand!

86. Staticphear says: Sep 12, 2016 5:35 PM

Stills should be benched for not catching that easy catch.

87. usdcoyotesfan says: Sep 12, 2016 8:23 PM

On 9/11. Stay classy.

88. pavlevlastimirovic says: Sep 16, 2016 11:17 PM

How discraceful The Game was shot at in the Fountainbleau a Blood and my niegbors are one of the one’s that took a knee wtf are they crazy all the money the contracts is amazing enough to stand up as a Country as one now is not the time to take any Knee . Rather learn to speak and speak your mind on TV Live .
    Today in Miami Trump ,Kanye , The Game scared to get shot .