Marcus Peters spoke to Andy Reid before anthem about raising fist

OAKLAND, CA - DECEMBER 06:  Marcus Peters #22 of the Kansas City Chiefs warms up prior to playing the Kansas City Chiefs in their NFL game at O.co Coliseum on December 6, 2015 in Oakland, California.  (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images) Getty Images

Chiefs players locked arms during the playing of the national anthem before Sunday’s game against the Chargers and cornerback Marcus Peters stood at one end of the line with his right fist raised while the song played.

After the game, Peters was met at his locker by the media and asked to explain why he made that decision. He said it wasn’t about attention for him and that he wants to “educate the youth that is coming up.” He also said he spoke to coach Andy Reid about his plans before the game.

“I’m just stating that I’m black and I love being black,” Peters said, via Arrowhead Pride. “I’m supporting Colin [Kaepernick] and what he’s doing as far as raising awareness with the justice system. I didn’t mean anything by it. I locked arms with my teammates. I talked with coach and coach said it was OK if I wanted to express my thoughts and so I just expressed it.”

Peters also said that he’s “more so don’t talk about it, be about it.” He was asked what else he’s doing to address the problems he hoped to spotlight on Sunday.

“I continue to do some things on my own back at home and we try to further help this power. It’s not going to do any good if you keep rushing us talking about the same thing over and over. Who’s going to help us do this? Are you all going to help us when we’re out there helping these kids and educating them so we can eliminate this problem? Thank you.”

Four members of the Dolphins took a knee during the anthem on Sunday, while the Seahawks stood with arms linked on the other side of the field.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
51 Responses to “Marcus Peters spoke to Andy Reid before anthem about raising fist”
  1. donterrelli says: Sep 11, 2016 6:27 PM

“I didn’t mean anything by it.”

Soooo, why’d you do it?

2. jakec4 says: Sep 11, 2016 6:29 PM

Thank you for “educating our youth” with your petty, and meaningless act of defiance.

3. JSpicoli says: Sep 11, 2016 6:34 PM

Whooopeeeeee

Play football football player

4. 250dollarnflowner says: Sep 11, 2016 6:35 PM

what exactly are these bozos protesting anyway??

5. bringmemysoiledfool says: Sep 11, 2016 6:40 PM

At least this wasn’t blatantly disrespectful like what those fools on the dolphins did.

6. tjacks7 says: Sep 11, 2016 6:41 PM

Thank you Marcus, someone needs to be out there educating these kids and telling them “don’t commit crimes!!” Stop committing crimes and whatever problem some people perceive will be gone.

7. favresweiner says: Sep 11, 2016 6:43 PM

All of these white people commenting on an issue that they have never experienced: racism. How many times do they have to say it? They are not protesting the military. They are trying to bring more awareness to the flat out RACISM that the African American community has been facing in this country. White people are turning a blind eye to the fact that racism is still alive in this country.

8. cardsfann1 says: Sep 11, 2016 6:44 PM

I just don’t see how it’s so damn hard being black today. I really truly do not see where it’s any more difficult than being Latino or Caucasian. Seems to be just an excuse for under achieving as an American…

9. harrietknutczak says: Sep 11, 2016 6:45 PM

Peters is obviously too uneducated to understand the meaning of his gesture. The clenched fist means death to non-blacks and the creation of a black master race. If that’s not racist, I don’t know what is.

10. rock4eb says: Sep 11, 2016 6:45 PM

I just don’t see how disrespectful actions move this conversation forward in a positive direction. Also how is a black power salute any less racist and offensive to a whole race of individuals than the Confederate flag is racist and offensive to another whole race of individuals?

11. tangotwo22 says: Sep 11, 2016 6:45 PM

Amazing that these young athletes think Blacks are oppressed.

12. abninf says: Sep 11, 2016 6:50 PM

“I’m just stating that I’m white and I love being white”
    ====================================

A statement that would end the career of any white player. Peters is a racist, as a white guy would be called. You want to be treated equally, so fine.

13. brawnyhombre says: Sep 11, 2016 6:52 PM

::Football player sits out the anthem to protest racial inequality::

(White) Football Fan: “Hey, anthem! He should find another way to do whatever nonsense he’s doing!”

::Football player chooses another way to protest racial inequality::

(White) Football Fan: “Hey! He shouldn’t be doing those things!”

14. rock4eb says: Sep 11, 2016 6:54 PM

Also wanted to add I was raised dirt poor, am legally blind and also a convicted felon. So please don’t try to tell me how hard some have it. I still managed to contribute to society in a positive way. Just for the record I am white and know what discrimination is, I experienced it my whole life.

15. 81megatron says: Sep 11, 2016 6:58 PM

Respect for peters, Kaep is a genius you racist are hilarious

16. rcali says: Sep 11, 2016 7:00 PM

Only the NFL employees the Krap of the earth.

17. upyoursnfu says: Sep 11, 2016 7:04 PM

No white person has ever experienced racism. Ever.

18. therealtrenches says: Sep 11, 2016 7:11 PM

It’s spreading. And it’s smoking all jingoistic racists out of their holes w/ their double talk and pretzel logic.

And I love it.

19. tjacks7 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:16 PM

upyoursnfu says:

No white person has ever experienced racism. Ever.

Every day at the hands of the new racist group, BLM.

20. philcodean says: Sep 11, 2016 7:17 PM

upyoursnfu: No white person has ever experienced racism. Ever.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You've obviously never heard of Andrew Goodman or Michael Schwerner. Educate yourself.

21. orange and blue own the nfl says: Sep 11, 2016 7:17 PM

upyoursnfu says:
    Sep 11, 2016 7:04 PM
    No white person has ever experienced racism. Ever.

****

Ever heard of Reginald Denny?

22. deneb1973 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:22 PM

What companies have contracted with you to endorse their products? Tell us so we can let them know how the vast majority of us feel about your gesture on the day we remember the victims and heroes … and people like you.

23. deneb1973 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:32 PM

By the way, Mr. Peters. How many of your family died in 9/11? How many of your family rushed into the fiery buildings to rescue people (regardless of color)? Please tell us of the medals your family has won in the wars that secured the freedom you so happily abuse by taunting the majority of us with your “protest”! Your rights derive from those heroes – tell us how many share your name!

24. cross300 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:32 PM

I hear he was considering standing on his head but didn’t think it would make a big enough scene. This is what happens when Narcisism trumps patriotism and respect. Thanks kap.

25. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Sep 11, 2016 7:33 PM

burning down your city brings all the attention that is required

26. steelpenguin6687 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:37 PM

Based on some of the comments here, it is easy to see what part of the problem is…many people of color are apparently under the incorrect assumption that they are incapable of being racists. Everyone needs to look in the mirror, problems exist…but it’s not one sided. You will never please everyone, as evidenced by many people calling successful black people “Uncle Toms” because they do not accept or agree with their dim view of white people.

27. rock4eb says: Sep 11, 2016 7:39 PM

Upyoursnfu,
    I am completely at a loss as to how you could possibly make such a foolish statement. I have lived in several major cities and have made the mistake of “walking while white” in numerous neighborhoods that were African. When I can walk through these neighborhoods without having a gun stuck in my face, them maybe we can talk about social injustice.

28. lennylyles says: Sep 11, 2016 7:41 PM

.Marcus Peters was thrown off his college team at Washington. A lot of NFL teams passed on him. He should be thankful that he is living in a country that allows second chances.

29. pittsburghdamned says: Sep 11, 2016 7:44 PM

Der.

Naturally this has turned into a “look at me” moment.

“Ima wear a gold fist medallion on my next turn”

30. helicopterpilot13 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:46 PM

It’s weird. I thought President Obama was supposed to being races together? Instead, he’s been THE most divisive president in the last fifty years.

31. helicopterpilot13 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:48 PM

Edit: Sorry, I meant to say: “I thought President Obama was supposed to bring races together. Instead, he’s been THE most divisive president ever.

32. onebuffalove716 says: Sep 11, 2016 7:53 PM

Respect for peters, Kaep is a genius you racist are hilarious

4 32

I’m guessing that’s not white suburbia education.

33. ninjapleazee says: Sep 11, 2016 7:55 PM

favresweiner says:
    Sep 11, 2016 6:43 PM

———————–

Looking in the rear view mirror will never open your eyes to the road in front. I’m Asian. I’ve experienced racism through my life. Do I pull out the race card every minute? Or use it as an excuse for my own mistakes. No. stop using race as an excuse.

34. crackinbones says: Sep 11, 2016 8:02 PM

I was born and raised in eastern Kentucky by a single mom, I lived in housing projects, I went to crappy schools, everyone called me a racist due to my accent, I ended up working at the 9th largest financial institute in America….I could have chosen to be a bitter racist.

35. mackcarrington says: Sep 11, 2016 8:14 PM

Wow. So being proud of being black makes one a “racist”? There’s a very low IQ across the board on this blog. A lot of you people need to keep your opinions to football only.

36. rootpain says: Sep 11, 2016 8:20 PM

favresweiner says:
    Sep 11, 2016 6:43 PM
    =========================
    I can tell you this. The problem you seem to be referring to will never get solved until it is properly defined. To say that white people in America have never experienced racism is just plain wrong. Even to say that white people are turning a blind eye to the racism that African Americans experience is wrong. At the end of the day, white folks and black folks and every other kind of folks are just the same. They want to enjoy their life in a safe environment, they want to have and raise a family they can be proud of, they want to be treated with the type of respect that is considered an inalienable right etc. All of that and more is possible within our country for anyone. Will everyone experience it? No because we are human beings which means we are imperfect. So mistakes will be made. By whites and blacks and men and women and, and and.
    What I pray is that I never lose hope that the efforts made to help bring about equality, however small they may be in your eyes, are never considered so small as to be a wasted effort. Because if these efforts are withheld, then my friend, you will really experience the effect that turning a blind eye will have. And I really don’t believe that anyone would prefer that outcome.

37. stexan says: Sep 11, 2016 8:33 PM

I grew up watching this kind of thing going on in the 60s and 70s.
    Comments made by the right wingers on these PFT threads are almost word for word the same as back then.
    It’s been so long and so many have learned absolutely nothing.

38. crackinbones says: Sep 11, 2016 8:50 PM

mackcarrington says:
    Sep 11, 2016 8:14 PM
    =======================================
    I have no problem with blacks being proud to be black, I have a problem when celebrities/sports stars force their will upon my football time.

39. mysterytonite says: Sep 11, 2016 9:17 PM

Rushing you to comment on it? Sorry Marcus but if you are gonna protest somethings g as controversial as the black cost you better be ready to explain yourself and specifically what you are doing to contribute. He like most of the others has no idea why they are protesting except that some people/groups are racists against blacks. I’ll stop rolling my eyes when you coddled narcissists have a mission statement on what the hell it is you are trying to do.

40. primemundo says: Sep 11, 2016 9:49 PM

fight the power!

41. easyeddie says: Sep 11, 2016 9:51 PM

Gang-bang, hip-hop culture is your real enemy – and it’s completely self-inflicted.

42. hockeyflow30 says: Sep 11, 2016 10:29 PM

Maybe a little less time worrying about some nonsense with the anthem and a little more time working on football would have resulted in a win.

43. brawnyhombre says: Sep 11, 2016 11:06 PM

“I have a problem when celebrities/sports stars force their will upon my football time.”

Nobody did that. The anthem is played before the game, and Peters’s gesture didn’t delay, pre-emp, extend, or otherwise change the playing of the game.

44. glenn66 says: Sep 11, 2016 11:22 PM

Honoring the flag is the absolute very least thing an American can do to show respect for our country and all it stands for by honoring those who died protecting our freedom. You may disagree with issues we face in society and there are ways to express your protest, but the one thing you dont do is disrespect all Americans by not honoring our flag at every opportunity. Those who dishonor our flag dont deserve the privilege to be considered American. Boycotting the NFL and the companies who advertise with them that support this abomination of respect of all American people.

45. crackinbones says: Sep 11, 2016 11:23 PM

brawnyhombre says:
    Sep 11, 2016 11:06 PM

=================================

It’s a p-o-l-i-t-c-a-l don’t you understand that?

46. crackinbones says: Sep 11, 2016 11:28 PM

Statement ^^^^^^

47. crackinbones says: Sep 11, 2016 11:30 PM

I have to talk in fragments to avoid the filters.

48. iamedreed says: Sep 12, 2016 11:22 AM

i love the mental gymnastics these fools try to play when asked for specifics and can’t because they are doing nothing but grandstanding for attention

49. yourunclerico says: Sep 12, 2016 12:45 PM

so sick of all of this crap
    fact. 1% of Americans owned slaves when slavery was legal.
    fact. WHITE Americans stood up to end slavery, leading to a very bloody civil war
    fact. TODAY blacks get access and programs that whites cannot simply due to the color of their skin
    fact. if you look for racism, you will find racism, even where it does not exist.
    fact. MOST of, but not all, the people BLM marches and defends are black males that are resisting arrest or otherwise not obeying the commands of law enforcement
    fact. MOST interactions with police end peacefully if you simply obey the police officer
    fact. ALL races are affected by bad police officers, which are very few and very far between. blacks call it racism, its not. it could be considered stereotyping though, ie: if you dress and act or look like a gangster, guess how you are treated. this has nothing to do with your race, but how you are portraying yourself.

time to move on people. if you hate America – leave!

50. yourunclerico says: Sep 12, 2016 12:49 PM

upyoursnfu says:
    Sep 11, 2016 7:04 PM
    No white person has ever experienced racism. Ever.
    ————–
    Really? because I am white and just experienced racism – from YOU!

Time to retract your ridiculous statement.

51. natelan says: Sep 12, 2016 7:16 PM

jakec4 says:
    Sep 11, 2016 6:29 PM
    ———————–
    Do you understand what the word “defiance” means?

It’s hard to be defiant when you’ve obtained permission for your actions prior to enacting them.

Good try, though!