Carson Wentz’s first game was a true specimen for Eagles fans

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz passes during the first half of an NFL football game against the Cleveland Browns, Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke) AP

The Browns couldn’t stop him very often Sunday, but after the game, it was Carson Wentz’s inability to go that kept him from celebrating.

Via whiz reporter Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News, Wentz was hanging around the locker room about an hour after his debut win, trying to rally the troops so he could provide the required urine specimen for the league. But for the first time all day, it took him some time before he was ready.

“Believe me, I have places to go,” the rookie joked, about his longer-than normal stay in the locker room while chugging sports drinks and water.

“This is who he is,” Eagles coach Doug Pederson said. “This is his DNA . . . He prepared like a five-, six-year veteran, and obviously, he played that way.”

Wentz showed no nerves from the start, which is impressive with a guy who started on eight days notice after the Eagles traded Sam Bradford, making it his and his alone. Leading them on a game-opening touchdown drive was just the first evidence.

“I wasn’t really nervous. I really don’t get nervous. I like to listen to worship music before the game, kind of calm my nerves, and just go and have fun,” Wentz said. “It gave me a lot of confidence – going down, moving the ball, getting that [19]-yard touchdown right off the bat, it was huge for my confidence, huge for this team’s confidence. I know the people here were rockin’. So it was a lot of fun, and a great start to the year.”

At least until after the game, when he had to wait for that one more critical pass.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Carson Wentz’s first game was a true specimen for Eagles fans”
  1. mjsweentraining says: Sep 12, 2016 7:07 AM

As an Eagles fan, I’m very cautious but I was very pleased with Carson’s effort, confidence, poise and ability to deliver the ball to a pedestrian set of receivers. The Browns are not a very good team so I do have some reservations. However, he looks night and day compared to what we’ve had the last few seasons. It will probably still be a tough 2016 for the Birds, but what I witnessed yesterday gives me a glimmer of hope.

2. amaf21 says: Sep 12, 2016 7:25 AM

They beat the Browns. Let’s not get too carried away yet.

3. backintheday99 says: Sep 12, 2016 8:02 AM

Then he got booed for not filling the cup up all the way…

4. therealtrenches says: Sep 12, 2016 8:17 AM

Meanwhile, in Minnesota, a guy who’s going into his sixth year as a pro *wasn’t ready to play* this Sunday.

Happy to see Sam Bradford in this franchise’s rear view mirror.

5. doe22us says: Sep 12, 2016 8:34 AM

The Nfl deployed their goon squad, they probably couldn’t believe that the kid was that poised.

6. donterrelli says: Sep 12, 2016 8:49 AM

“During the game, it was up and down the field, as he was 22-of-37 for 278 yards and two touchdowns, with no turnovers and a clean 101.0 passer rating.”

Good grief, it was against the Browns.

7. PFT's Most Censored says: Sep 12, 2016 9:17 AM

Loved It!!

Que the H8ers..

3-2-1

8. vegasdestroyer says: Sep 12, 2016 9:17 AM

The Browns are right that Wentz isn’t a good fit for them. He’s a winner.

9. creflowdollars says: Sep 12, 2016 9:27 AM

Calm down Eagles fans…its the Browns

10. cappy20 says: Sep 12, 2016 9:36 AM

It’s a little early to tell, but it looks like the Browns might be regretting giving up that number two pick for years to come.

11. logicaldawg says: Sep 12, 2016 9:42 AM

Browns have 19 rookies on the roster and 30 players now starting their 2nd year or less. The game turned on a few plays, and was closer than the score would show. We’ll likely draft #1 overall next April, but the Eagle pick we have won’t be that much further behind. No need to get too excited yet.

12. blitzinc43 says: Sep 12, 2016 9:47 AM

As a close friend of the organization I must say that he has won the support of many veterans, however not all. I am not certain but in my opinion, Darren Sproles is quite upset with his lack of involvement in the offense

13. ncphinsfan says: Sep 12, 2016 9:48 AM

Umm… It was against the Browns?

14. o0omorriso0o says: Sep 12, 2016 10:11 AM

lol to the people saying its against the browns. thats not the point. It was his first NFL action. You same people said he would look bad, then when he doesnt, you say it was against the browns.

stay consistent at least and admit when you’re wrong.

15. eaglesnoles05 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:19 AM

This wasn’t about his opponent. It was about wentz. You either watched the game, and you saw it, or you didn’t watch the game, and you are saying “let’s not get carried away, they played the browns.”

The guy is a pro and his team plays for him. Day 1.

16. nflgtcfl says: Sep 12, 2016 11:07 AM

He did way better then I thought he would.

I will wait and see by game 4 or 5 before having an opinion. The competition should be better and teams will have tape on him in the NFL to study.

17. buccaboo says: Sep 12, 2016 11:17 AM

I told you Eagles fans, last week, that Wentz should NOT be underestimated. He’s gonna be great, just be a little patient, which is not an Eagles fan strong point

18. autoriot says: Sep 12, 2016 12:30 PM

I was on the edge of my seat with excitement watching this kid. From the first snap, there was just something different about watching him than any other QB under center for the last 8 years since Donovan left. The way he killed/audibled out of plays like he’d been there before, stepped up in the pocket, took hits to get the throw off, saw coverage and went in another direction, I was just…impressed. I think (hope) he is the real deal. This team needs a franchise QB. I think we may have finally found one. #FlyEaglesFly

19. TheBrownswillstinkagain says: Sep 12, 2016 1:04 PM

No offense Eagles fan but i could throw for 250 against the Clowns.

20. cav2ya says: Sep 12, 2016 1:11 PM

The Eagles weren’t perfect. The Browns Defense got to Wentz on a few plays. The Browns Offense moved the ball, except in the Red Zone.

Nope. We weren’t perfect. But Wentz was very impressive. after that second drive, i sort of forgot i was watching a rookie QB, and a rookie Head Coach.

Those Browns fans making excuses that 19 players on the browns are rookies, hold no water. bad excuse. though the usual excuse.

Watch the game. Wentz looked better than a lot of veteran QBs. Something the Eagles haven’t seen in years!

21. 23rdusernameused says: Sep 12, 2016 1:12 PM

autoriot … I know! The kid was calm cool and collected ALL GAME! Ray Horton was TRYING hard to rattle him to nno avail! Even after those 2 sacks, he got up, went back to the huddle and controlled. Pre snap reads of what the D was looking like and changing it, out of center going to shotgun! Carson was impressive, in his first game ever in the NFL!
    This is the most excited I’ve been about our team since the Donovan/JIM JOHNSON days!
    I’m checking out whats out there and ordering my CARSON WENTZ jersey by the end of the week… once my wife gets paid! lol

22. lonespeed says: Sep 12, 2016 2:28 PM

I’m sure the L.A. Rams took notice; and not in a good way.

23. ninozlatino says: Sep 12, 2016 4:06 PM

Haters will always hate. But I’ll take Tramon Williams and Hayden over the CB’s the Eagles have. Even if Hayden had a bumb ankle he was still there step for step. If the QB drops it right on the money like he did a few times there is no defense against that. He’s got a ways to go has to protect himself better, but like has been mentioned on here poise is something gained with reps and time. For him to show the pocket awareness and pre-snap reads as well as he does already, and in the preseason against the Bucs, is really impressive.

Keep it rolling baby!!

24. therealtrenches says: Sep 12, 2016 5:30 PM

creflowdollars says:
    Sep 12, 2016 9:27 AM
    Calm down Eagles fans…its the Browns

———————

Yes. And if any respected team thumped the Browns to the tune of 29 to 10 and put RGIII on injured reserve while their QB threw for a 101 passer rating, you’d all be talking about how good that team looked. So shut it.

25. oldcracker says: Sep 12, 2016 5:57 PM

I’m a long time Browns fan, watched every minute of the game, and was quite impressed with Wentz. Sure, he made a few mistakes here & there but, it was a good game to break him in.

Keep in mind he’s a rookie who was supposed to sit this year, and he only had a small part of one pre-season game. Even though it was “only the Browns,” the kid did well and it looks like you have your long-term QB.

The Browns played better than I expected but, my God do they have a long, long ways to go. (I’d predicted 28-3)

Congratulations Eagles!

26. dwhcic says: Sep 12, 2016 7:16 PM

I think he looked good. To the people saying it was “just the browns” they are still an NFL team with some talent on both sides of the ball. This league is so competitive that no team can be taken lightly, good luck Carson! (MN fan)

27. macjacmccoy says: Sep 12, 2016 8:49 PM

Yea it was against the Browns but it was also against former probowl corners Tramon Williams and Joe Haden. Plus quality vet Stephen Paea. And young early round studs like 1st rounder Danny Shelton, 3rd rounder Xavier Cooper, the 65th pick this year Carl Nassib (who is a monster). Also there lbs Davis and Kirksey played well.

You can say it was the Browns all you want but that defensive line is no joke. There not to 10 or anything but I would say there in the late teens early 20s. They arent great but not there not as bad as they are made out to be.

I think playing the Saints, Colts, Cowboys, Falcons, Lion’s, 49ers, Chargers, and Raiders defenses wouldn’t be any harder. They all looked worse then the Brown did this Sunday.

28. fmwarner says: Sep 13, 2016 4:36 AM

blitzinc43 says:
    Sep 12, 2016 9:47 AM
    ———————————–

He played more snaps than the starting RB. I’m sure he’s furious.

29. PFT's Most Censored says: Sep 13, 2016 7:55 AM

oldcracker says:
    Sep 12, 2016 5:57 PM

Congratulations Eagles!

————————————————

That is the most respectable post I have seen on an Eagles forum from an opposing fan base.

Thanks @oldcracker for not trolling like the usual h8ers.