Kaepernick, Reid kneel; others raise fists for anthem prior to Rams-49ers

SANTA CLARA, CA - SEPTEMBER 12:  Colin Kaepernick #7 and Eric Reid #35 of the San Francisco 49ers kneel in protest during the national anthem prior to playing the Los Angeles Rams in their NFL game at Levi's Stadium on September 12, 2016 in Santa Clara, California.  (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images) Getty Images

In the final game of the opening weekend of the NFL calendar, demonstrations continued during the national anthem with the player that brought the discussion into the spotlight the last few weeks.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick again kneeled during the playing of the national anthem prior to their Monday night contest with the Los Angeles Rams. As with the final preseason game 11 days ago, Kaepernick was joined in his gesture by safety Eric Reid.

They were not the only ones to make a statement, however.

Players from both teams remained standing for the anthem but elected to raise fists in the air instead. The move – reminiscent of John Carlos and Tommie Smith at the 1968 Olympic Games – was made by 49ers players Antoine Bethea and Eli Harold and Rams players Robert Quinn and Kenny Britt.

Marcus Peters of the Kansas City Chiefs, Martellus Bennett and Devin McCourty of the New England Patriots and Jason McCourty of the Tennessee Titans made similar expressions around the anthem in their respective games on Sunday.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Los Angeles Rams, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
45 Responses to “Kaepernick, Reid kneel; others raise fists for anthem prior to Rams-49ers”
  1. jakec4 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:41 PM

The most famous backup QB in the NFL at it again. Can’t beat out Blaine Gabbert, so there’s this…..

2. saberwolf335 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:42 PM

I had to turn my TV off before the end of even started because I’m so goddamn sick of hearing about this stuff. I want to watch “FOOTBALL”, not hear a bunch of political/social crap. Save it for after the game on the news channels

3. saberwolf335 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:43 PM

Before the anthem even started*. Freakin phone autocorrect

4. cardsfann1 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:45 PM

Sad the the liberal network of ESPN zoomed in on these two clowns for most of the National Anthem as dozens of servicemen and servicewomen were holding the flag… They should have panned around all of them and zoomed in on them. They deserve the attention and praise. Not a couple of overpaid hypocrites like Kaepernick and Reid…

5. kdub79 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:45 PM

No crap. ESPN spent over half of the anthem showing the backup QB instead of the the young lady performing, the service members who had the honor of being on the field, or the flag itself. What a disgrace.

6. bonesawisready says: Sep 12, 2016 10:48 PM

What’s hilarious is the people yelling at Kaep during the anthem; thereby doing exactly what they say they are mad at Kaep for doing, but in a far more disrespectful way that what Kaep is doing.

7. rohinaz says: Sep 12, 2016 10:50 PM

So the NFL allows racism now? Black power?

8. philly4for4blog says: Sep 12, 2016 10:53 PM

ESPN slobbering all over Kaepernick during the anthem was disgusting. Made me remember why I don’t watch that Mickey Mouse network anymore.

9. msstiller58 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:53 PM

I am so glad no one on the Steelers or DC teams chose to do this. I wouldn’t have been able to watch the game. I just can’t support a team that supports that. If it worked in 1968 they wouldn’t be doing it now. Maybe they should run for office in their areas, help train people for jobs, adopt underprivileged kids, etc etc.

10. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Sep 12, 2016 10:53 PM

So I’ll just go ahead and add these guys to my ever-growing
    ‘I’m a racist’ list.

11. cardsfann1 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:54 PM

12. bert1913 says: Sep 12, 2016 10:54 PM

Santa Clara shouldn’t be on mnf

13. pftthoughtpolicemostwanted says: Sep 12, 2016 10:55 PM

I’m not ready to give up my Browns just yet, but I’ll be damned if I watch a second of any other football because of this garbage.

14. andyreidsbossoms says: Sep 12, 2016 10:55 PM

Generation cry baby diva! Look at me I wear a flat brim hat and I’m not really smart enough to give you the exact details of what my protest is about, my girlfriend told me to do it.

15. ipskipskyblue says: Sep 12, 2016 10:55 PM

A month in on this and people still killing each other in high crime areas. Haven’t seen much press about people being oppressed.

Just sayin

16. finfansince68 says: Sep 12, 2016 11:02 PM

Not saying it’s right or wrong – But I do understand some players feelings, considering that I do “have a dog in this fight” – these changes that are being talked about –
    NEED to start in OUR own communities,
    WE ourselves, by that I mean – every brother & sister in our own neighborhoods need to quit blaming racial issue on somebody else! Time to look in the mirror – WE are the ONLY ones that can & will affect change!

17. finfodder says: Sep 12, 2016 11:21 PM

Well, it’s the least they can do….literally.

18. johnbokilo says: Sep 12, 2016 11:54 PM

America needs to change fundamentally, roots and branches. Other countries are mocking American diplomats who want to preach democracy my mentioning how America treats blacks in American. Now, if America does not change, it will self-destruct from hate and civil strife.

19. Duckhomie says: Sep 13, 2016 12:11 AM

Wow, disrespect, demonstrated by rich black men who could not get paid like they do in any other nation on earth. Hope your careers are as fleeting as your pathetic gestures.

20. bigbaldpapahawk says: Sep 13, 2016 12:35 AM

Seahawks set the bar for showing class while making a statement. End the media-fed divisiveness and join together in unity.

21. revskip says: Sep 13, 2016 12:37 AM

Now they need to follow up by following Kaepernick’s example and opening up the check books. While I applaud them for making a statement, the real way to affect change is by spending cash to improve things.

22. cdace13 says: Sep 13, 2016 12:50 AM

Pieces of crap.

23. rukkus1 says: Sep 13, 2016 12:54 AM

No angry comments yet and I’ve already finished my popcorn. Now my jimmies are rustled…

24. ilovefoolsball says: Sep 13, 2016 12:59 AM

Child: Mommy why are they showing those men kneeling?

Mom: They’re doing that for you son, the millionaires are fighting for your rights to not be oppressed in this evil racist country by kneeling and raising their hands in the air.
    Here, go play with your iPhone and put away your Jordans.

25. duffelbagsports says: Sep 13, 2016 1:06 AM

Good for them. And before people start ranting about black on black violence BLM is not the only group addressing violence in the community. Just because the media doesn’t report about it doesn’t mean it’s not being done. Groups like Mother’s Against Violence and others. This should tell you there’s a real problem and as Lyndon Johnson said it’s not a black problem it’s an American problem.

26. aj66shanghai says: Sep 13, 2016 1:12 AM

Let the thinly-veiled racism commence!

27. pittsburghdamned says: Sep 13, 2016 2:09 AM

Good practice for shining shoes after this season ends.

Buh bye Squidward.

28. maiphatdong says: Sep 13, 2016 2:28 AM

he looks like bubbles from The Wire…..and thats where hes heading

29. varangia says: Sep 13, 2016 2:54 AM

The NFL and the teams mishandled it. They should have explained to the players, at the beginning, that the players are on their employer’s (team owners) and the customer’s (fans) time. They don’t have freedom of speech at work. None of us do, unless it’s part of our job. We’re not paying for the tickets to watch them picket, or kneel or anything else, since it’s not related to the purpose of the entertainment.

If they want to protest, they need to take unpaid leave, get out on the sidewalk, and protest. The customers should not be paying for this.

30. broncoscountry33 says: Sep 13, 2016 3:55 AM

I just don’t get what the end game is. So everyone is talking… What’s next? There’s no laws to change. Really at the end of the day they want no racism right? Sooo how does that happen by raising fists in the air. This will all end at some point and nothing will have changed. Heck under Obama it seems like race relations have never been worse according to the media and these football players.

31. truecowboyfan says: Sep 13, 2016 3:56 AM

I believe Colin Kaepernick would stand if the Bikini Bottom National Anthem was playing.

32. rutchaser says: Sep 13, 2016 5:35 AM

Of course, Kenny Britt. Of course. Nice rap sheet you have. Trying being a better example for others instead of raising your racist fist.

33. razzlejag says: Sep 13, 2016 6:15 AM

I will make my own statement and not renew my 8 season tickets after 14 years.

The flag is sacred.

34. bigbluefan1 says: Sep 13, 2016 7:01 AM

Who cares make him the team towel boy and get over with it already

35. diminishingskills says: Sep 13, 2016 7:01 AM

Pure vanity play by overgrown children.

There will always be racist individuals, but the idea that there is systemic racism in America is a lie. Please identify these racist institutions so that I can help you fight them, as racism is evil. Until then, when he next black person is killed in a police confrontation when the circumstances are simply unknown (and often end up either justified or not due to “racism” or even negligence), plese shut up.

36. crewchief15 says: Sep 13, 2016 7:20 AM

johnbokilo says:
    Sep 12, 2016 11:54 PM

—————
    Slow down Johnny, my guess is you’re going to/went an ultra liberal college. Son there’s been hate and civil strife in this country for 400 years. Do you really think the Hip Hop generation has the fortitude to follow through with any actions other than sporadic looting or shooting of their own?? (Pants on the Ground coming our way, look out)

37. iamedreed says: Sep 13, 2016 9:38 AM

we live in the freest and greatest country in the world and by the way these players talk you would think they were living in Afghanistan . does our country have problems that need to be fixed? of course, we are never going to live in a perfect world and to expect perfect outcomes is a fallacy

but i refuse ti fall for their blatant race baiting until they can accurately describe a real problem they are fighting for with actual solutions to fix them instead of the generic “equality” they have been spouting off about

38. avenger9800 says: Sep 13, 2016 10:04 AM

After watching the Steelers-Washington game, I was reading PFT and forgot to find something else on the TV. Seen just enough of the anthem that CK and his cronies kneeling and instantly grabbed the remote. I realize that my TV is only one TV out of millions, but I’ll be damned if the NFL is getting any ratings from me when the players can’t even respect the service personnel that are on the field. Time for the owners to cut these clowns for this type of crap!

39. scrap7681 says: Sep 13, 2016 10:11 AM

My momma says we should just brush them off the field with a broom

40. JSpicoli says: Sep 13, 2016 10:34 AM

Compared to WHAT???

41. JSpicoli says: Sep 13, 2016 10:35 AM

I don’t think i can leave without prepping. i might need this year to do so, but this could be my last season of living NFL and watching a lot.

42. pacificdan says: Sep 13, 2016 12:00 PM

For a bunch of people that complain how soft this generation is and how coddled they are you guys seem awfully upset about a couple people kneeling or raising their hands. You don’t agree with it, great, that’s your right, but why are delicate flowers so worked up about something that has zero impact on your life?

43. thermy1 says: Sep 13, 2016 12:38 PM

Any time the players are in uniform or on the field they represent the team. On their own time they can attend whatever protests they want, but i doubt they will use their own time to go to the protests.

If the owners do not want me to watch keep letting the protests occur I will not be watching

As viewership drops so will advertising dollars. Only thing the NFL fears if loosing money.

Too bad the Owners lack a spine and allow this happen.

44. packmanfan says: Sep 13, 2016 3:45 PM

Good on them for using their freedoms of expression and choice.

45. deepwater805 says: Sep 13, 2016 6:06 PM