Larry Fitzgerald: I’m not thinking about anything but this season

GLENDALE, AZ - JANUARY 16:  Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald #11 of the Arizona Cardinals celebrates his game winning touchdown in overtime of the NFC Divisional Playoff Game at University of Phoenix Stadium on January 16, 2016 in Glendale, Arizona. The Arizona Cardinals beat the Green Bay Packers 26-20.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images) Getty Images

Before the Cardinals kicked off their 2016 season with a 23-21 loss to the Patriots, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reported that wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald has told people that he expects this to be his final NFL season.

After the game, Fitzgerald, who signed a one-year extension this summer, called the report “speculation” and said he doesn’t have his mind made up about what to have for dinner “let alone what I am doing next year.”

“I signed another year for a reason,” Fitzgerald said, via the Arizona Republic. “I believe in what we are doing here, and [Cardinals president] Michael Bidwill is doing everything he can to put us in position to win. That is where my mindset is at. What I am doing next year is of no importance. This is the year, and I want to make sure it is a great one.”

Fitzgerald had eight catches for 81 yards and two touchdowns on Sunday night, so there’s no sign that he can’t do the job anymore. Whether he wants to will be a question that gets answered down the road.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Larry Fitzgerald: I’m not thinking about anything but this season”
  1. TheAfterParty says: Sep 12, 2016 10:17 AM

That second TD catch was excellent!

2. azvikefan says: Sep 12, 2016 10:17 AM

I’d love to see him go home to Minnesota for a season or two.

3. jjackwagon says: Sep 12, 2016 10:18 AM

If they don’t play better than they did last night. It will be another disappointing season for Fitzy.

4. digitalsasquatch says: Sep 12, 2016 10:21 AM

You go’on, Larry!

5. jackedupboonie says: Sep 12, 2016 10:43 AM

He looked like the only guy who showed up to ball. How do you lose a game against a backup and no Gronk at home……I’ll answer that. It’s the Cardinals.

6. weepingjebus says: Sep 12, 2016 10:51 AM

Great player and a great man. Cards should keep him around as long as possible and then move him into the front office before a network snags him.

7. qoojo says: Sep 12, 2016 10:56 AM

Larry is a stud, and 10x the WR when compared to the usual star WRs, most of which are primadonnas.

8. archer454 says: Sep 12, 2016 11:07 AM

I think nearly every player holds on for “just one more year” if they feel they’re close to a championship. And, of course, the organization keeps them around if they feel like the player can contribute.

Fitz and the Cardinals are a great match. You can see the mutual respect. I’m thinking that if the Card’s season goes well, Fitz stays around for 2017-18.

Would love to see that guy win a SuperBowl.

9. brianyourwordsarehurtful says: Sep 12, 2016 11:56 AM

Fitz is a pure joy to watch play, and it has almost as much to do with what a fine human being he is as it does with his luminous talent. No one can play forever, but this Pats fan hopes that he stays in the league and in Arizona until they win the big prize.

10. wartface says: Sep 12, 2016 12:09 PM

When you factor in Larry’s character, his willingness to help younger players that will eventually take his job and what he’s done to promote the NFL… Larry is the G.O.A.T…👍

11. thingamajig says: Sep 12, 2016 12:22 PM

Last night he sure didn’t look ready for retirement to me.

12. RE LEE says: Sep 12, 2016 7:09 PM

Love Fitz. He is an elite player and person.
    I wish when you retire, BB will yank you out and plant you in NE. It’s been ages since Brady had a real elite receiver in Randy Moss who still holds the most TDs in a season. That record needs to be broken.
    But… Fitz is still too good to retire. Best of luck..