DeAngelo Williams doesn’t want to be known as a “33-year-old running back”

LANDOVER, MD - SEPTEMBER 12: Running back DeAngelo Williams #34 of the Pittsburgh Steelers celebrates with teammate guard David DeCastro #66 after scoring a fourth quarter touchdown against the Washington Redskins at FedExField on September 12, 2016 in Landover, Maryland. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images) Getty Images

On Monday night, Steelers running back DeAngelo Williams tore through the Washington defense for 143 rushing yards. On one play in particular, Williams darted through a pair of Washington defensive backs, who made him look like Mike Vick vs. the Vikings in 2002.

I pointed that out on Twitter. Williams saw it after the game. He didn’t like the fact that it didn’t give proper credit to the men who blocked for him last night.

“Instead of knocking their D why not praise our OL?” Williams said.

I saw his tweet during Tuesday’s PFT Live, so I slid into his DMs (man, I’m hip) and I invited DeAngelo to call the show. To his credit, he did.

“That’s all the O-line man, all the O-line,” Williams said about his performance. “You can’t discredit those guys, man, because we’ve worked way too hard to put on a show for everybody.”

Williams put on a show, too, with his age making it even more impressive. He wasn’t impressed that I mentioned that he’s 33.

“Why can’t I just be a running back?” Williams said. “Why can’t I just be a running back? Why does my age have to play a part in the performance that I had last night? It ticks me off to hear people say, ‘Hey man, at your age you don’t look like you’re slowing down a bit.’ Like can I just be a football player? Why does the 33 age have to coincide with me when you talking football?”

It’s relevant because it reconfirms something Williams pointed out in a January 2014 visit to PFT Live. I asked him whether he believes that the use of a platoon system at tailback in Carolina extended his career.

It definitely does that,” Williams said at the time. “It definitely does that. I’m year eight, and the shelf life for a running back is three years. I’m five years past that. . . . This is like a wine, you have to get finer with the times.”

He’s now in year eleven, and Williams was as fine as fine can be last night. While I can appreciate (and relate to) a good dose of #salty, people aren’t mentioning his age as a criticism but as something for which he should be proud.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
14 Responses to “DeAngelo Williams doesn’t want to be known as a “33-year-old running back””
  1. dallashomer says: Sep 13, 2016 6:38 PM

So MF and DW are besties now?

2. MichaelEdits says: Sep 13, 2016 6:40 PM

Maybe he’d rather be known as “75 Cent.”

3. twincities90210 says: Sep 13, 2016 7:06 PM

the only reason this is a headline is because he is 33 years old and the NFL is giving tributes to their owners, the FREEMASONS. We are awake to your garbage.

4. politiciansareallthesame says: Sep 13, 2016 7:09 PM

honestly, he could still be a starter on some teams.

5. doritodink14 says: Sep 13, 2016 7:25 PM

Honestly, he should be a starter on most teams

6. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Sep 13, 2016 7:33 PM

Dude should be pleased to have his age linked with his success. Most 33 year old players at the position are known as former running backs

7. paulnoga says: Sep 13, 2016 7:48 PM

No problem. Next April he will be a 34 year old RB (and still good)

8. remembertheagenda says: Sep 13, 2016 7:56 PM

I don’t think it matters how the people who say it want him to take it. He doesn’t see it as a compliment.

PS. 33 isnt an age that many NFL running backs would be ‘proud’ to be..

9. nitzie says: Sep 13, 2016 8:23 PM

Better than being known as a 33 year old former running back.

10. Deb says: Sep 13, 2016 8:51 PM

Perhaps he has a point about praising the stellar play of the Pittsburgh o-line rather than criticizing the Redskins’ d-line. That’s in the eye of the beholder. But it’s a game where RBs don’t usually last long. The average age for that position is 25, and only six in the league DeAngelo’s age or older. When you play that well at 33, your age is part of the story.

11. intellectualpenury says: Sep 13, 2016 10:45 PM

What Willliam’s did last night was an average night for John Riggin’s at that age. Crank up that Diesel! And fire Todd Haley

12. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 13, 2016 11:58 PM

In a few decades I hope to shoot my age in golf. DW should try for 33 TDs this year. Or 34 next year.

13. steelcurtainn says: Sep 14, 2016 9:33 AM

Obviously, the line has a lot to do this but no doubt D-will is running the ball about as good as he ever has. He’s been a (much needed)spectacular pick up with Bell out.

14. inozwetrust says: Sep 14, 2016 6:05 PM

Steelers fortunate to have him. While Bell is trying to figure out if he wants to be a football player or a pot head this guy will be carrying the Steelers to the playoffs. He could be the team’s MVP (probably Ben or AB) or at least its unsung hero.