Kaepernick calls Dilfer’s comments “ridiculous”

San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid (35) and quarterback Colin Kaepernick (7) kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams in Santa Clara, Calif., Monday, Sept. 12, 2016. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez) AP

Linebacker Eli Harold isn’t the only 49er who doesn’t like what ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer had to say about quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick doesn’t like it, either.

Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News asked Kaepernick about Dilfer’s remarks following Monday’s 28-0 welcome-back-to-Cali win over the Rams.

“I think that’s one of the most ridiculous comments I’ve heard,” Kaepernick said. “The fact that you say, ‘You’re a backup quarterback, stay in your place,’ that’s an issue. To me, you’re telling me that my position as a backup quarterback and being quiet is more important than peoples’ lives. I would ask him to really have a conversation with the families of people that have been murdered and see if he still feels that way. Because I’d bet you he doesn’t. Just because he hasn’t experienced that type of oppression.”

Kawakami, who believes that Dilfer was at least echoing the views of his friend, G.M. Trent Baalke or, at most, speaking on his behalf, then asked Kaepernick where he thinks Dilfer is coming from with this.

“I’m not sure,” Kaepernick said. “That’s something that I hope he goes home and really thinks about what he said and how it impacts not just me but how it impacts people whose lives are affected by these issues on a daily basis. . . . Nothing’s ever been done without criticism. Every great change, every great . . . whether it’s revolution or evolution of things . . . there’s always criticism of it. And there’s always that, ‘I don’t like change’ kind of mentality. But you have to be able to take that and say you know what in the long run they’ll see what’s going on, they’ll see what’s right, and they’ll understand.”

On Sunday, Dilfer raised eyebrows (and drew an evil eye from Randy Moss) with this: “No matter how passionate you are, no matter how much of a burden you have for a social issue, you don’t let it get in the way of the team. And the big thing that hit me through all of this was this is a backup quarterback whose job is to be quiet and sit in the shadows and get the starter ready to play Week One. Yet, he chose a time when he became the center of attention. And it has disrupted that organization. It has caused friction and torn the fabric of the team.”

The team with its fabric torn tore through the Rams on Monday night, 28-0. Maybe the 49ers would have doubled that or worse, if their fabric hadn’t been torn.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
49 Responses to “Kaepernick calls Dilfer’s comments “ridiculous””
  1. ramfanmatt says: Sep 13, 2016 6:14 AM

i highly doubt Kaepernick had a conversation with those people’s families. Also, Dilfer has freedom of speech too Colin.

2. jsm08 says: Sep 13, 2016 6:16 AM

and so it begins. it’s just a matter of time that when someone disagrees with Kap’s actions those comments will be labeled “controversial”

If a player knelt in protest of the 3000 daily us abortions the league would put a halt to it immediately.

3. upper23 says: Sep 13, 2016 6:19 AM

Why r we still talking to and about this guy. Ignore him and let’s move on

4. emmitt22bates40 says: Sep 13, 2016 6:21 AM

So Kap can do and say whatever he wants because this is America, but Dilfer is ridiculous for voicing his opinion. That’s what’s ridiculous.

5. flavordave says: Sep 13, 2016 6:30 AM

People that have been murdered? Try people that don’t follow instructions, make sudden moves when told not to move, run or speed away, point fake guns at, charge and attack police, or fight resisting arrest. Try that Kap. You idiot.

And the “black power” gestures need to stop.

For some reason, misinformed “patriots” believe freedom of speech means speech without consequences. Wrong.

First, the Bill of Rights only protects us from actions of the government, not from other Americans.

Second, opponents of an expressed belief have just as much right to express their opposition.

Third, a person who speaks up wearing the uniform of a particular organization can be expected to be speaking on behalf of that organization. If that organization does not condone the co-opting of their identity for political speech, they have every right to censure that person co-opting their identity and act to prevent the usurpation from occurring.

NFL Im looking at you!

6. greenpacker says: Sep 13, 2016 6:32 AM

Dilfer clearly believes football is more important than human rights… Or is oblivious to white privilege. Either way, ridiculous.

7. 205diamonds says: Sep 13, 2016 6:33 AM

So Trent, if you’re not a starter, you give up your freedom, your right to speak out as an American citizen?

8. paastahtroy says: Sep 13, 2016 6:43 AM

Is he talking about the time Dilfer called Baalke the best GM in the NFL?! Yah that is ridiculous!

9. ricko1112 says: Sep 13, 2016 6:48 AM

As a Pats fan, I don’t usually listen to Dilfer since his “Brady is done. Patriots are done,” speech the year they won their latest SB, but he’s right here. Kap has always been about Kap. He had that tiny window when he played well until the league figured him out. We all remember when he bragged that he didn’t need to study the playbook. Always putting himself first.

The Niners signed him to a horrible contract and couldn’t unload him. He needed to do something to say relevant. Somehow he equates taking a dump on the millions of men and women who have protected our country over the centuries to the plight of blacks who murder, rape, pillage, and peddle.

Instead of inciting racial tensions, why not mentor in schools, volunteer in neighborhoods, convince blacks that education and (legal) employment are positive things?

Stop blaming others for your poor life choices.

10. chris6523 says: Sep 13, 2016 6:53 AM

Difler hasn’t experienced that type of oppression. True statement. Neither has Kaepernick.

11. jacind22 says: Sep 13, 2016 6:57 AM

I live in near Newark NJ. Come down here and have a conversation with the parents whos children have lost their lives. You might take a knee for something else next time.

12. dlb4180 says: Sep 13, 2016 7:35 AM

What he is saying kap is a back up qb should not be causing a scene to the point that everyone of his teammates is asked about it on a daily basis. This can get annoying and become a distraction and hurt your team. I’m not surprised you don’t understand this since it seems like you have a hard time understanding why cops have been shooting black criminals with guns who fight police.

13. amaf21 says: Sep 13, 2016 7:56 AM

#shutupandstand

14. Gerald T Mitchell says: Sep 13, 2016 8:32 AM

Just shows how ignorant Trent Dilfer is towards the everyday issues that oppressed people of all color face. Colin addressed it perfectly again,Mr.Dilfer should take the time to go out un the communities of Oakland etc. or in an inner city near gus home and see exactly what they think,how they feel about the contributions and concern that Colin is showing for them. So if every body continues to turn a blind eye on the issues,how can we expect change?

15. mack2x says: Sep 13, 2016 8:33 AM

“I would ask him to really have a conversation with the families of people that have been murdered and see if he still feels that way. ”

— By all means. Start with all the families that have loved ones murdered in Chicago on a weekly basis.

16. elyasm says: Sep 13, 2016 8:42 AM

It’s not really surprising that Moss would be offended by those comments considering that despite what an amazing player he was, he was never really a team-first, stay quiet and in your lane kind of guy and wouldn’t hesitate to disrupt a locker room if he felt he had cause.

17. collectordude says: Sep 13, 2016 8:51 AM

kaepernick is ridiculous.

18. rollsieboys says: Sep 13, 2016 9:03 AM

no matter what you think about kaepernick, his response to dilfer was correct, and dilfer, like i said in a previous post, is a buffoon. it’s bad enough to hear him talk about football as if he was a great or even serviceable qb, which he wasn’t EVER…but now we have to sit hear and listen to his filth. go hide under a rock and leave the commentating to others who are more successful and have sense.

19. tylawspick6 says: Sep 13, 2016 9:24 AM

Kaeperdick is a phony.

He’s doing this for the attention. Why didn’t he do this before?

20. kmartin173 says: Sep 13, 2016 9:35 AM

You want to see ridiculous Colin? Grab a mirror.

21. 81megatron says: Sep 13, 2016 9:43 AM

Kaep is right and he should be started gabbert is garbage and Jeff fisher is a TERRIBLE head coach

22. 1phillyphan says: Sep 13, 2016 9:45 AM

Kaepernick says if Folder spoke the members of the ” murdered” family members he might feel different. Well, right back at you Kap! Go speak to murdered Police members family’s like the Dallas officers. Or family members of our Military who gave their lives for his right to protest! I’m sick of this whole thing. He is protesting a VERY small percentage of police who are bad. That’s the same as saying all NFL players are women beaters because if Ray Rice or all NFL players beat their kids Like Peterson! How is not standing in support of our country and Military going to make any difference? Yes, their is a very small percentage of bad cops out there.. but, 98% of the police out there put their life on the line and do serve in a professional way. Kaepernick wasn’t raised in poverty or in a bad hood. He was raised by a wealthy white family and has never wanted for nothing. If he wants to make a difference then I applaud him..but do it not protest it..then go spend time with familys of slain officers or fallen soldiers.

23. brettsdaddy11172010 says: Sep 13, 2016 9:45 AM

Mr. Kaepernick you say that Trent Dilfer hasn’t experienced this type of oppression…news flash genius…NEITHER HAVE YOU!!! You were adopted at 6 months old by an upstanding, moderately well off WHITE family. You have never felt oppressed your entire life. You went on to become a high school multi sports star, went on to college and became a star football player as well as being drafted by an MLB team and after college you were drafted by an NFL team and went on to have a spectacular rookie season once inserted into the starting lineup…didn’t see you protesting then though did we??? The oppression you speak of didn’t just materialize this past year but funny how your outspokenness…that you knew would draw national media attention…coincides with your replacement as a starter by a white QB as your once bright future starts to fizzle and the spotlight was no longer on you, guess you had to do SOMETHING to get it back. What you are Mr. Kaepernick is one of the biggest hypocrites I have ever seen!!!

24. easyeddie says: Sep 13, 2016 9:54 AM

” I would ask him to really have a conversation with the families of people that have been murdered and see if he still feels that way.”

OK, Colin, which murders are you talking about – the 10 black-on-black homicides in Chicago over the past weekend? Maybe the 1,900-plus killed there over the past 5 years? The 6,095 during 2014? Or the 258 blacks killed during encounters with police in 2015 – NATIONWIDE?

25. digitalsasquatch says: Sep 13, 2016 9:58 AM

Dilfer with yet another tone-deaf hot-take.

26. easyeddie says: Sep 13, 2016 10:03 AM

— 6,095: Black homicide deaths in 2014 – most killed by blacks.
    — 301: Blacks shot by police in 2015

27. rcali says: Sep 13, 2016 10:15 AM

Dilfer, Super Bowl winning QB. Krapernick, protester. That’s how they are now known and will be remembered.

28. atthemurph says: Sep 13, 2016 10:21 AM

Was Kaepernick still wearing his Fidel Castro shirt while speaking out about “oppression”?

That irony isn’t lost on me and neither is the overt expression he is making as a Communist sympathizer.

29. bkostela says: Sep 13, 2016 10:32 AM

1phillyphan says:
    Sep 13, 2016 9:45 AM
    ________________________

So you’re saying if NFL players started taking a stand against the NFL for allowing women and children beaters to play, you would be opposed to that protest?

30. kamthechancellor says: Sep 13, 2016 10:41 AM

If only Kaepernick was starting. Those Niner fans wearing his jerseys last night would be burning them again by week 5.

31. scrap7681 says: Sep 13, 2016 10:42 AM

Meanwhile in Chicago….. Nearly 3,000 people have been shot already 2016, an average of 1 victim every 2 hours…… 516 murders & counting (probably can add a few more since I posted this) & this is one city, only one! You have parts of or all of other cities also being destroyed over, I love this, “he not respecting me”!!! They should take their money, time & fists & make a difference in these places. Or do they know it’s already a lost cause, much easier to blame whitey.

32. mrmidevil says: Sep 13, 2016 11:01 AM

Exactly what oppression has Kap faced based on his race?

33. daysend564 says: Sep 13, 2016 11:23 AM

Kaepernick’s play last night was ridiculous!!! Oh wait….

34. westof1club says: Sep 13, 2016 12:14 PM

Kaepernick has probably been subjected to more racism in the past 2 weeks than his whole life prior to his statement. And being adopted as a child of mixed heritage by white parents into the rural, conservative Central Valley of CA probably makes him more of an expert of racism than most blacks in America.

The vitriol spewed by racist America towards him will only strengthen his resolve. Good on you Kap!!!!

35. sdcarpetbagger says: Sep 13, 2016 12:19 PM

Since when does someone get to decide if others should be offended? The police, firemen and veterans tell the NFL in advance that not standing is offensive to them and the response by these primadonas is, “no you can’t be because that’s not how I meant it?”

36. ricco89 says: Sep 13, 2016 12:20 PM

Don’t stand…don’t play!!!

37. norcaldaveomzig says: Sep 13, 2016 12:21 PM

Why does this man continue to say “murdered”? Was he there for every one of his brothers’ (should say half-brothers’) shootings? No. So he should just shut up already and learn some of the facts of each case he is protesting instead of generalizing. And of course Mr. Kaepernick probably doesn’t consider that black officers could ever gun down white people. So he no doubt has never heard of Christopher Few and his 6-year old autistic son Jeremy Mardis. Jeremy is deceased.

38. johnnyonthespot5 says: Sep 13, 2016 12:24 PM

Who cares about this, he will be irrelevant after this season and we can move on to more important things. Racism will never die, just like greed, corruption, and everything else evil in this world exists. Fighting racism is like fighting the “War on Drugs” we will never win. Taking a knee during the Anthem doesn’t do a thing. It sparks conversation and that’s it. Send the people on the streets to school and teach them to do the right thing? why would you give up making anywhere from $1000-3000 a DAY slinging drugs on the corner to go make $10 an hour at Mcdonalds? Give it a rest Kap you’re irrelevant, you’re a backup, and your time in the spotlight should have been gone a long time ago. Tebow 2.0

39. catquick says: Sep 13, 2016 2:06 PM

As a 6th decade hardcore NFL fan, tje league, its owners and adbertisers need to know I, and most Favebook friends(veterans) are up to, or past our limit of disrespect, intended or incidental on this stupid protest, gone about in a most insulting way, many other avenues for it to manifest without slapping so many of us in the face. Do these lowbrow dimbulbs realize there is a wat, time and place for legitimate concerns to be aired? Enough, already! We’re tired of it. Football is a DISTRACTION from this, not a forum. If I want to indulge in political bamter, I will consult my Facebook page. I want and need a 3 hour esvape from it, football being the choice. I’ve always enjoyed the ability to indulge my passions without consequence. Now that bridge has collapsed. I could never envision what could make me give up on the NFL, but it is not just in sight, it’s hitting my shins. I an a hairsbreath away from abandoning it, and exploring the options of fall foliage, etc., I denied myself for football. Most friends have already voted with their feet, leaving it behind. The conraderir, and commiseration, chatter over this once unquenchable fire is going out, gone from others I shared it with. I won’t be the lone wolf holdout. If these social justice warriors could make me ponder abamdoning ship, they really had to push way too far. This is a divorce, no small matter to me. I’m almost done. It’s weighing on my mind. No more games, gear, product participation, in fact, an aversion to the adbertisers who bankroll these usefull idiots. I’m tired. It’s worn me down. I question why I invest loyalty to those who disrespect me, unwittingly or deliberately. Having a feisty nature, I would be in arguments or worse face to face with the way overinflated egomaniacs, offputting as any I’ve ever dealt with, and look for peace, not acquiesance to these less than stellar itellects who are pushing this along as a thinly veiled advocacy for political pimps I don’t support or respect in the first place. I’m teetering now. There must be better things to do with my time, ways to relieve lifes pressures without deliberately exposing myself to more, deeper hitting ones on a Sunday afternoon. I have some thinking to do, and I assure the league, its sponsors and promoters, NBC, CBS, ESPN, I am not alone. Not even close. I’m closer to alone in supporting this, and it is no fun, which is why I started in the first place. 46 years is a long relationship, buy others, not myself, have soiled and spoiled it to a point where stepping back seems a more desireable alternative. The GOLDEN GOOSE has it’s head on the block. You stewards of this sport better act, or you will lose forever those who lead its growth, and will influence its future, whether we participate or act as liasion against. Our influence goes deep, to children, grandchildren, etc., and the fall has already started. WAKE UP!! Your sport is burning itself down. I’ll give it a few more weeks, for old tkmes sake, but unshakable loyalty is now crumbling. Make wise moves.

40. whodoyousuppose says: Sep 13, 2016 2:33 PM

You know how sometimes you have two friends that you really like, but they just don’t get along? This is kind of the opposite feeling as that.

41. dtroxallday says: Sep 13, 2016 5:58 PM

upper23 says:
    Sep 13, 2016 6:19 AM
    Why r we still talking to and about this guy. Ignore him and let’s move on
    ————————————–
    Because people just like you can’t seem to stop. You seem to have a hard time ignoring it yourself, no?

42. remembertheagenda says: Sep 13, 2016 8:05 PM

flavordave says:
    Sep 13, 2016 6:30 AM

__________________

Somebody needs to tell this guy that in America, none of these things are capital offenses.

But when certain kinds of shoot up a movie theater or a church, they not only live, but get lunch on the way to jail.

43. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 13, 2016 11:01 PM

Whatever “conversations” Kaepernick may have sparked are basically angry shouting matches between the same individuals who have been shouting angrily at each other for a hundred previous (and far more serious) incidents.

44. mrba4775 says: Sep 14, 2016 8:48 AM

100% of the comments on this post, just show where this nation is headed. Majority are in denial or still feel entitled because of birthright. Until there is true discussion, the issues aren’t going away, it will only get worse.

45. fishfan39 says: Sep 14, 2016 9:15 AM

Yeah I just love how Tebow gets persecuted for speaking freely about his love of God but this jerk gets applauded for creating more racial tension. Yes our police aren’t perfect but it isn’t only white cops that make mistakes.

46. veracityguy says: Sep 14, 2016 2:20 PM

I do find it ironic that Kaepernick chooses the national anthem at an NFL game to protest the mistreatment of blacks in America when I estimate that at the time of his protest there are approximately 80 or so black millionaires on the field.

47. aferraridriver says: Sep 14, 2016 6:39 PM

Guess I would simply prefer that Kapernick just stand up during our national anthem, shut up about his political agenda, and try to improve his performance on the football field.

48. wpony says: Sep 15, 2016 3:26 PM

The thing is it should not be allowed and it has nothing to do with his beliefs he has every right to them but I dont care what your job is you cant go to work and cause any kind of angry or divisive actions its just not allowed probably get 1 warning and then suspended or fired its just rules of the work space.

49. crik911 says: Sep 15, 2016 3:53 PM

I know nobody scrolls this far down buttttt…..

I think Kaep just wants to get released and thats why he is doing this. His money is guaranteed at this point and he needed a reason to be released. He stirred up this plot thinking it would get him dropped but everyone is joining in his fight sort of…

I think this whole thing back fired on Kaep… just my 2 cents (Canadian) lol