Kenny Stills: Dropped TD “an opportunity to make me stronger”

SAN DIEGO, CA - DECEMBER 20:  Wide receiver Kenny Stills #10 of the Miami Dolphins warms up before a game against the San Diego Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium on December 20, 2015 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

You rarely see NFL wide receivers as open down the field as Dolphins wideout Kenny Stills was in the second quarter of Sunday’s game against the Seahawks when Ryan Tannehill threw an on-target pass that seemed destined for six points.

Rather than celebrate a touchdown, Stills was left to try to explain why the ball clanged off his hands and fell to the ground after Miami’s 12-10 loss. Stills said that he thought Seahawks safety Earl Thomas was closer than he was, although that’s not much of a reason for not catching a well-thrown ball.

Perhaps coming to that realization is what Stills is referring to when he says that he sees the drop as a chance to become a better player.

“It’s one of those things that, we mess up, and I see it as an opportunity to make me stronger,” Stills said, via the Palm Beach Post. “I’m going to go out there and continue to do what I’ve been doing, work hard and the next time I get an opportunity I’m going to make the play. It’s not something that happens to me all the time. It’s going to make me stronger. I’ll go out there and make plays for this team.”

Stills never materialized as a deep threat in his first season with the Dolphins. If he should drop another pass like he did on Sunday, his opportunities to show he’s getting stronger are going to be limited in his second season as well.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Kenny Stills: Dropped TD “an opportunity to make me stronger””
  1. bettis3636 says: Sep 13, 2016 1:22 PM

Is that what its called…? lol i coulda sworn its called CHOKING!

2. haywoodjablomey says: Sep 13, 2016 1:22 PM

Dropped TD more of an opportunity to make you look like an idiot.

“You just cost me 25 grand, Polly”

3. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 13, 2016 1:22 PM

Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you… wish you were dead.

4. patsxsaintsfan says: Sep 13, 2016 1:24 PM

It was also an opportunity to win your team the game I wonder which he values more

5. mattbilleauthor says: Sep 13, 2016 1:30 PM

No, it’s an opportunity to make himself unemployed.

6. fumblenuts says: Sep 13, 2016 1:46 PM

This TOOL belongs on a Jeff Fisher coached team…….

7. laxcoach37 says: Sep 13, 2016 1:50 PM

Karma: that is what you get for kneeling during the Anthem. This coming from a Dolphins Fan! It is weird that Jordan Cameron did not take a knee, but still drops passes. Oh well, there goes my theory.

8. questionableprovenance says: Sep 13, 2016 1:53 PM

In the interest of becoming super-strong, he’ll drop a few more.

9. dolphinsfreak says: Sep 13, 2016 1:54 PM

He looked like a FOOL not standing for the National Anthem on September 11th.

Then he looked like a FOOL for dropping one of the easiest passes a wide receiver can make.

Karma?

Protest on your own time, NOT at work!

The owner of the Miami Dolphins backed all the players who sat down during the National Anthem. I’ve been a fan of this team/organization for many, many decades. I no longer own any Dolphins merchandise and I will never own any until Ross sells the team OR he retracts his statement and realizes that there is a time and a place for making statements and the workplace is NOT the place. People gave their lives for the flag, on September 11th, etc. and the Dolphins Franchise slapped America in the face with those four players sitting out and then again with the owner backing them up.

Sincerely,

A PROUD AMERICAN & EMBARRASSED FAN

10. cheo25 says: Sep 13, 2016 1:57 PM

Consider it karma for his “look at me, I’m protesting the anthem” move.

11. finsphan says: Sep 13, 2016 2:02 PM

I’m sure everyone will still find a way to blame Tannehill for the drop.

12. xpensivewinos says: Sep 13, 2016 2:02 PM

That’s exactly what losers say……

13. igotgamenj says: Sep 13, 2016 2:04 PM

Stills is gone next year we Drafted Carroo a much more Physical Wide Receiver

14. igotgamenj says: Sep 13, 2016 2:12 PM

Hit the jugs machine Stills !

15. VenerableAxiom says: Sep 13, 2016 2:29 PM

haywoodjablomey says:
    Sep 13, 2016 1:22 PM

Dropped TD more of an opportunity to make you look like an idiot.

“You just cost me 25 grand, Polly”
    ======
    Really? I won $25 gees, just on the spread. Maybe Stills will do like Carroo did in high school, make the commitment to never drop a ball again and work at it.

16. MichaelEdits says: Sep 13, 2016 2:34 PM

By now I must be the strongest wide receiver I know, because I’ve dropped everything. If I had a baby, my wife wouldn’t let me hold it.

17. oiler1980 says: Sep 13, 2016 2:42 PM

I’m not sure what makes me madder….

That these guys actually sat / took a knee during the National Anthem on 9/11

or

That these guys sat / took a knee during the National Anthem on 9/11 and kept staring at the JumboTron to make sure the camera’s were on them.

If you can’t focus beforehand on what earns you a living and puts food on your family’s table maybe you need to do something else.

18. MiamiDolphinsNationTravelingtoNewEngland says: Sep 13, 2016 2:52 PM

Stills is a complete joke, who needs a receiver when needed the most chokes big time?
    The only reason Stills was out there was because Diva ante Parker was hurt as always.
    Would rather have Hartline & Matthews than the current WR clown car.

19. abninf says: Sep 13, 2016 2:54 PM

Did his PR rep suggest that hairdo? One of these days the whole league will be a bunch of fruitcakes prancing and dancing around the field.

20. fishyinalittledishy says: Sep 13, 2016 2:55 PM

I did let out a girlie scream when the ball hit the deck.

21. bsizemore68 says: Sep 13, 2016 2:56 PM

Perhaps if he kept his mind on football instead of showing his ass on the side lines protesting he could catch a football that any high school players would catch with his eyes close, or perhaps he was looking at the end zone and not at the BALL. Bill….you know, thinking about his dance.

22. iamkillerfin says: Sep 13, 2016 3:06 PM

Maybe you should be concentrating on catching a football instead of protesting what ever GARBAGE you think you’re protesting!!!

23. beachsidejames says: Sep 13, 2016 3:06 PM

For a receiver to bounce back from a dropped pass like that might be hard because one tends to think to much. With Stills that shouldn’t be a problem.

24. larryfinfan says: Sep 13, 2016 3:15 PM

Couple that debacle with the two dropped tds in the preseason and I smell a trend… We all learn from mistakes, but that’s not the kind of a mistake an NFL wide receiver is allowed to make…

25. doe22us says: Sep 13, 2016 4:16 PM

He probably couldnt believe how wide open he was, lesson learnt hope he gets better.

26. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Sep 13, 2016 4:26 PM

Who else is included in that “we” exactly?

27. iamkillerfin says: Sep 13, 2016 5:44 PM

With Ross supporting these players just goes to show you what an IDIOT Ross REALLY is!!!

28. finfansince68 says: Sep 13, 2016 7:27 PM

He suffering from the same affliction that Jordon Cameron’s got – Stone Hands-itus !
    Must have been contagious!!
    As far as his kneeling goes…yeah – maybe it was karma?

29. beachsidejames says: Sep 13, 2016 8:15 PM

If Stills keeps dropping passes like that one he’ll be doing a lot more time kneeling on the side line than just during the anthem.

30. tarniman says: Sep 13, 2016 9:28 PM

I believe it will make him stronger. He probably heard a lot of thrash talking come his way because of it. If he had any respect for himself he will be motivated to prove himself and his hands.

31. smarpostadmin says: Sep 14, 2016 11:14 AM

I can hear it now….the receivers keep having butterfingers, so let’s get rid of RT…that’ll fix it

What really gets me is that one of a QB’s biggest stats is their pass completion ratio. How com WR’s and TE’s don’t have a passes caught / dropped ratio in their stats????!!!

32. jetrainer says: Sep 15, 2016 11:21 AM

Stills hasn’t performed since he came from NO. The Saints didn’t let him go knowing he was good. He’s been dropping catches and not reaching reachable balls from day one. Last week is unforgivable for me. He’s a professional. He’s there to catch passes. Chances to get better are for practice. Instead of letting him sit for Anthems, put him on waivers and if he clears, let him sit on the practice squad, not suited up to play.