Report: Rams extend defensive tackle Michael Brockers

ST. LOUIS, MO - SEPTEMBER 13: Michael Brockers #90 of the St. Louis Rams assists on the sack of Russell Wilson #3 of the Seattle Seahawks in overtime to win the game 34-31 at the Edward Jones Dome on September 13, 2015 in St. Louis, Missouri. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Rams didn’t offer their fans much to be happy about last night.

So today comes news from their old hometown that should buoy them a bit.

According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Rams have agreed to a contract extension with defensive tackle Michael Brockers.

The Rams had already picked up the 2017 option year on the 2012 first-round pick’s rookie contract, but this ostensibly locks him into Los Angeles for the long haul.

There was a time when his name was mentioned in trade rumors, but coming off his best season, the Rams have decided to make sure he’s a part of their future.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Los Angeles Rams, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Report: Rams extend defensive tackle Michael Brockers”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 13, 2016 2:18 PM

I guess it was the dominant performance that he and the rest of “the best front 7 in the league” put on last night for the MNF audience that clinched the deal.

2. mongo3401 says: Sep 13, 2016 2:37 PM

A source close to the team reports Snead and Fisher are almost in agreement on a contract with the shirtless individual that ran on the field last night. Per Fisher the shirtless person gained more yards on one jaunt then the Rams gained the entire game

3. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Sep 13, 2016 2:39 PM

They can save 7 million by firing Fisher….

4. atwatercrushesokoye says: Sep 13, 2016 2:47 PM

It doesn’t matter who they extend, as long as Jeff Fisher and Greg Williams are employed with them they’ll always be a mediocre team that will play some top teams tough during a season, lose some games to some bad teams and then be completely undisciplined and take bad penalty after bad penalty.

5. chicagosportsfan11 says: Sep 13, 2016 2:48 PM

Hey why not they are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. tootitan says: Sep 13, 2016 2:53 PM

“Hard to wonder”? That’s one of those things that says the opposite of what the speaker actually means; kind of like saying “I could care less” when what is really meant is “I couldn’t care less.”

I’m 99.9999% sure you really mean “hard not to wonder.”

It’s not at all ‘hard to wonder’ if these Rams are going to win a single game.

7. mongo3401 says: Sep 13, 2016 2:57 PM

Stan Kroenke was asked on his thoughts. He replied
    ” sorry, I am not finished doing a giant face palm over the Tavon Austin extension.

8. iamkillerfin says: Sep 13, 2016 3:00 PM

Probably the end for Jeff Fisher!!!

9. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 13, 2016 3:15 PM

St Louis native Blaine Gabbert beat the Rams in their last game as the St Louis Rams and in their first game as the reincarnated Los Angeles Rams.

10. ttmstock says: Sep 13, 2016 10:59 PM

Press Conference:

Fisher at podium: I would like to announce a big change for this franchise. Michael Brockers has agreed to a very large extension with the Rams franchise. He is a cornerstone for this team and will be one of the leaders for us. His game yesterday just proves that our players being drafted are some of the best and our coaches know how to develop them very well. He is just another example that guys who work hard for this franchise will continue to thrive in our system and be life long Rams who will retire with this team. It’s a great day for this franchise and one of the premier players in this league and we expect he will continue to excel in everything he does for this franchise. Sorry guys, I went a little long with my introduction on this great day for the Rams and I will only have time for two questions. Go ahead Ted….

Los Angles Times writer: Coach can you explain what exactly happened yesterday?

Fisher: I bet you didn’t realize I knew your name, but I have admired your work for many, many years (smiling…pause). But yesterday I thought Michael played very, very well. There are some things he was exceptional at and some very, very small things he will need to cleanup and get better at. So we got together after watching him yesterday and decided as a franchise that this is a player we wanted and needed. He will continue to get better so we called his agent and said let’s talk extension. And we were able to make it happen. I can’t put into words the magnitude of this signing for the franchise and we expect his play to continue to be one of excellence for a very, very long time. Probably went into a little more detail than you expected Ted, but I wanted again to reiterate just how important this was. ok, Ralph?

Uh, coach…what really happened yesterday in the game that led to the disaster that we all would call it?

Ralph, great question and that’s what we get paid for. Like I said, there are a few things Michael needs to clean up but nothing over the top that I would characterize as a disaster. There are a LOT of things in this world that qualify as a total disaster and I can name many starting with what happened on 9/11. That was a tragic day for all involved and it was a great honor today to be able to celebrate the lives of good hardworking people who tragically lost their lives on this day many, many years ago. I would also like to say I am part of the Wounded Warrior foundation and that is a great organization that does a lot to help those people who defend our country. Michael and I discussed this and again what a great day for the Rams to lock him up as a true cornerstone of this franchise and continue to bring in and reward the right guys. Hey guys, great questions today and I am sure Michael will be available after practice today. In the meantime I have 53 guys waiting in the hot sun for me. Thanks, and we’ll let you know when Michael will be available to answers all your questions.