For Josh McCown, cohesion is the biggest difference in Cleveland

CLEVELAND, OH - NOVEMBER 1: Quarterback Josh McCown #13 of the Cleveland Browns celebrates after throwing a touchdown pass during the first half against the Arizona Cardinals at FirstEnergy Stadium on November 1, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Jason Miller/Getty Images) Getty Images

Brown quarterback Josh McCown arrived in 2015, giving him an ideal perspective for comparing the old regime to the new one. And the difference is clear.

“I think the number one thing is just the cohesion of everybody,” McCown said on Tuesday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio and NBCSN. “It seems like this group is on the same page from Sashi [Brown] to Andrew [Berry] to coach Hue Jackson to Paul DePodesta. They’re all together and so for us as players — I’ve always said the building — it’s like a home and it’s like a marriage. If the marriage is not going well no matter how much it’s hidden or handled behind closed doors, I think the kids feel it. And it’s the same thing in an organization. If up top is not going well and it’s not connected the players feel it, and they know. They may not see any fights but they know it’s disconnected.

“And so right now for us I believe our building is on the same page and it’s connected and that’s a healthy environment for the players. When you create a healthy environment for players you give yourself the best chance to go out and compete every Sunday and win football games. So we’ve done that, and it’s a credit to Mr. Haslam and Sashi and everybody putting it together. We’ll see how it bears out over time but so far it’s been refreshing to be in a building where you feel like everybody’s unified and working towards the same goals.”

That won’t necessarily deliver the championship Hue Jackson has predicted, but it will make it easier for the players to buy in completely, without any confusion or mixed signals coming from infighting or conflicting agendas. If/when the Browns collect enough players who can play at a higher level, the atmosphere currently in the building will be conducive to success.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “For Josh McCown, cohesion is the biggest difference in Cleveland”
  1. ballboy48 says: Sep 14, 2016 9:50 PM

I think Everyone knew the Browns weren’t going anywhere this year, but they’ll keep building, and have some nice rookies on the team. I think they’ll also have the most cap space next year, along with a bunch of picks (probably around 16 or 17 with compensatory picks). I honestly feel the Browns will be a solid team in 2-3 years. Their owner just needs to keep the guys around for more than 2-3 years.

2. terryleather says: Sep 14, 2016 10:55 PM

And the Browns got criticized by everyone for signing this guy in 2015.

3. stevejjones says: Sep 14, 2016 11:35 PM

Gosh McKnown is a fine player and man.

4. maddenisfordorks says: Sep 15, 2016 12:55 AM

I’m a Jag fan. I know hardship …. but not like the Browns’ fans do.

I seriously hope this guy comes in and kills it. I really do … they deserve better.

5. ragnarthemagnificent says: Sep 15, 2016 7:01 AM

Cohesive, like a swarm of flies on a corpse.

6. kwjsb says: Sep 15, 2016 8:27 AM

Aside form the 1st drive… “D” played well enough to win until they wore out with all the 3 and outs and short fields.

McCown can keep the offense on the field for more that 3 plays this team has a chance…..

7. guitarkevin says: Sep 15, 2016 10:26 AM

Ravens fan here. After the way McCown has played us the last few times, I’m particularly concerned this week.
    The Ravens D is way better this year and I hope to see Flacco start synching with all his receivers.

I picked the Browns to cover the point spread but the Ravens to win outright.

8. mrfrostyj says: Sep 15, 2016 4:43 PM

McCown was the Browns good QB last season. This is basically the Browns reliving that time Weeden went down and was replaced by Brian Hoyer.

9. sbchampsagain says: Sep 16, 2016 12:26 PM

Not sure how McCown didn’t win the job in the first place.

McCown is a starting quality NFL QB. Not amazing, but certainly starting quality.

The Browns will give the Ravens all they can handle on Sunday.

10. wiseone50 says: Sep 17, 2016 12:45 PM

I would have had no problem starting him in the first place. As long as he stays healthy and doesn’t get helicoptered on the goal line, we have a great chance to win with him. He’s a very solid QB. We have recievers that can actually catch. Wait until we get Gordon back soon, this offense could really catch fire. The O-line does need to block a bit better. I can’t wait to see how this unfolds. I just hope it’s not with an injury!! Barnage, hang on to that damn ball!