Rex Ryan: If we don’t win, I’ll be the first to go

ORCHARD PARK, NY - JANUARY 14: Rex Ryan speaks at a press conference announcing his arrival as head coach of the Buffalo Bills on January 14, 2015 at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images) Getty Images

Bills coach Rex Ryan has been asked several times since the end of last season about whether he believes the team needs to make the playoffs this season in order for him to keep his job for a third season.

Ryan has said he does not believe that’s the case, but he sent a somewhat different message to his team. In a team-produced documentary called “Rex and Rob Reunited” that aired in Buffalo recently, cameras caught Ryan giving a speech to his team early in training camp.

The theme was the criticism that the team faced after last season, saying that the “best revenge is massive success” before putting himself in the crosshairs should that massive success fail to materialize.

“That’s where I’m at,” Ryan said, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “It ain’t about being No. 1 in defense, No. 1 in offense, whatever. No, it’s about us in this room, holding this damn trophy saying we won the whole m—-f—–. That’s where I’m at. Don’t be afraid of it. I don’t give a s— who knows it. Here we are. Here the f— we are. That’s who the f— I am. I’m going to tell you we’re the f—ing best because I believe it. Let me f—ing say it. And if it doesn’t work, I’ll be the first m—–f—– that goes. And everyone one of you, I f—ing know you’ve got my back. All I want is every f—ing thing you got. I’ll take every f—ing bullet known to man.”

And then everyone went for a goddamn snack.

It may not be as clear cut as Ryan getting fired if the team doesn’t make the playoffs, but Ryan’s job security may not be too f—— good if the team has too many more outings like their Week One loss to the Ravens.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Rex Ryan: If we don’t win, I’ll be the first to go”
  1. skoobyfl says: Sep 14, 2016 1:34 PM

I’m a Bills fan since birth and this dude is just about the polar opposite of the values of the town. Him swearing and constantly blowing smoke in our behinds makes me feel like he’s a snake salesman.

Get a grip Rex, we don’t want talk / we want wins.

A Bills fan.

2. metalman5150 says: Sep 14, 2016 1:35 PM

Can not question his passion.

3. jjackwagon says: Sep 14, 2016 1:36 PM

If we don’t win, I’ll be the first to go

Thanks CPT Obvious!

4. 6ball says: Sep 14, 2016 1:36 PM

Belichick say the exact same thing with, ” it is what it is” .

5. intrafinesse says: Sep 14, 2016 1:39 PM

As a Jets fan I’m sorry to see Rex go after only 2 years.
    He damaged the Jets for 6 years and it’s a shame he only damaged a division rival for 2 years.
    Hopefully Tannenbaum stays in Miami a while longer.

The Patriots are loving this as Jets failures go to division rivals.

6. chawkup says: Sep 14, 2016 1:39 PM

Holy f— is that a lot of f–ing f-bombs!

7. urmomsmyho says: Sep 14, 2016 1:42 PM

Such a blow hard.

8. 757ravensfan says: Sep 14, 2016 1:43 PM

Isn’t Rex the same coach who predicted a Super Bowl victory w/ the Jets? Didn’t he also get a tattoo of his wife in Sanchez jersey? Say no more Rex, Say no more!!!

9. shaggytoodle says: Sep 14, 2016 1:47 PM

He should go coach college, that way when he recruits he is speaking the same language as a 17 year old.

10. ajsjr40 says: Sep 14, 2016 1:48 PM

With Rex its always about the ‘say’ and never about the ‘do’. Maybe if he showed a little more discipline it might rub off on his teams.

11. weepingjebus says: Sep 14, 2016 1:49 PM

“Now it’s time to catch some f——- wrenches! If you can catch a wrench, you can catch a ball!”

12. Mo Pro Babble says: Sep 14, 2016 1:49 PM

Do you have to use so many cuss words?

Have it your way dude.

13. Indybear says: Sep 14, 2016 1:49 PM

Well, you didn’t win and you aren’t going to win, so take a
    f—ing hike, you overrated blowhard.

14. Mo Pro Babble says: Sep 14, 2016 1:50 PM

weepingjebus says:
    Sep 14, 2016 1:49 PM

Something tells me we like the same movies.

15. clutchbills says: Sep 14, 2016 1:51 PM

I don’t care what he says to the team behind closed doors and in team meetings…whatever he has to do to get the team fired up and playing winning football is something I support. Bring home the W on Thursday night! Go Bills!

16. smithdp says: Sep 14, 2016 1:55 PM

Nice to see some realism from Rex. He wins 10 or makes the playoffs or he is probably gone. And probably should be. Bluster is no substitute for winning.

17. surfinbird1 says: Sep 14, 2016 1:55 PM

BYE!

18. flash1287 says: Sep 14, 2016 2:00 PM

Everyone warned you, Bills fans.

19. xpensivewinos says: Sep 14, 2016 2:03 PM

He continues to be employed with a massive salary, he continues to be an insufferable bloviator and he continues to come up short every year.

The NFL has truly become just like any other business in this country……

20. theringisthething says: Sep 14, 2016 2:03 PM

I think he stuck his foot in his mouth this time.

21. billsfan says: Sep 14, 2016 2:05 PM

“Walk-the-walk, not talk-the-talk”…

But, uh oh, even the talk is “f—-ed” up!

22. back2ebayy says: Sep 14, 2016 2:06 PM

intrafinesse says:
    Sep 14, 2016 1:39 PM
    As a Jets fan I’m sorry to see Rex go after only 2 years.
    Hopefully Tannenbaum stays in Miami a while longer.

The Patriots are loving this as Jets failures go to division rivals.

==============================

Let me start off by saying I’m a Bills fan and I’m already tired of Rex and his clowning around, but it’s quite obvious that Rex Ryan left at least one thing with Jets fans and that’s the impression that their team is much better than it really is.

If Rex and the Bills are so damaged, what does that make your Jets that just got SWEPT by him?? Jets are 1-5 in the past 3 seasons against Buffalo!?!?! #feelsbadman

23. finchy74 says: Sep 14, 2016 2:07 PM

People complain about Rex Ryan but geez, listening to other coaches and players these days is about as fun as peeling my fingernails off with a pliers. Everyone is so committed to saying a whole lot of words while saying NOTHING of substance.

Rex at least speaks off the cuff with some honesty and most importantly, he’s entertaining.

24. getyourownname says: Sep 14, 2016 2:09 PM

Does this mean it will take Rob longer than 5 minutes to get a new gig?

25. mandings36 says: Sep 14, 2016 2:09 PM

why doesn’t this story at least tell us where they went for a snack? or was that part of the joke?

26. officialgame says: Sep 14, 2016 2:11 PM

Don’t slam the door on your way out.

27. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 14, 2016 2:15 PM

Oh my he’s talking Super Bowl again with a 3rd or 4th place team.

The most undisciplined coach in the league which leads to the most undisciplined players. Buffalo will lead the league in penalties this year, the one thing that Rex’s teams are inevitably the best at.

28. richndc says: Sep 14, 2016 2:17 PM

Captain Obvious speaks again. Was his brother Rob standing next to him slapping his chest hard and saying “this is on me, no one else, my responsibility–but I will guarantee you this–it will NEVER happen again”. He always forgets to add “that is, until my defense takes the field again next week”.

29. TB12RALLYCRY says: Sep 14, 2016 2:29 PM

after week one the pressure on Rex is fantastic……….

30. deacon85 says: Sep 14, 2016 2:29 PM

Bottom line: he’s not a good head coach. He can be an excellent Defensive Coordinator, and apparently can interview very well for a heading coaching job. But as for actual being a head coach, he’s not very good at it.

31. streetyson says: Sep 14, 2016 2:32 PM

skoobyfl says:
    Sep 14, 2016 1:34 PM
    ———————-
    So what are the values of the town? – those like you who troll drivel on Pats’ threads, or the Bills fans who all wore deflated balls to last year’s home-loss against Brady’s bunch (at your stadium whose shop stocked the windows with football pumps)? Rex may be foul-mouthed but his sporting values are far more gentlemanly than you or many other Bills “fans”.

32. valentino8100 says: Sep 14, 2016 2:35 PM

Rex would have been a happy man and made some franchise equally happy had me stayed in his lane as a coordinator. In that position, his fat mouth and attitude can be leveraged as more of an asset where as an HC, it’s a total liability.

33. MiamiDolphinsNationTravelingtoNewEngland says: Sep 14, 2016 2:55 PM

call a realtor asap Rex, you know what’s coming by mid October.

34. livelikeurdying says: Sep 14, 2016 3:02 PM

Sheesh, why is this buffoon an NFL coach?

35. jmethane says: Sep 14, 2016 3:04 PM

Jeez, once a guy talks about going I guess that’s the beginning of the end.

I could never imagine Pete Carroll saying anything remotely like this. Just signed his extension earlier this year actually.

36. steves11 says: Sep 14, 2016 3:11 PM

“If we don’t win, I’ll be the first to go”

Hey Rex….tell us something that we don’t already know🙂

37. ajsjr40 says: Sep 14, 2016 3:17 PM

“Talking about Miami. Preparing for Miami, I’ve been talking about Miami. I’m working on Miami,” Belichick said. “I don’t do concerts, don’t do banners, don’t do parking, don’t do concessions, I just try and coach the team.”

38. riraider says: Sep 14, 2016 3:17 PM

Bye Bye Rex!

39. eddiea25 says: Sep 14, 2016 3:28 PM

When you’re a good nurse, don’t try to be a doctor. A defensive coordinator Rex, that’s your bag.

40. sbchampsagain says: Sep 14, 2016 3:31 PM

Sweet. Keep it up, Rex.
    We want you back as D-Coordinator in Baltimore!

41. tqaztec says: Sep 14, 2016 3:37 PM

Bye Felicia!

42. pastabelly says: Sep 14, 2016 3:37 PM

metalman5150 says:
    Sep 14, 2016 1:35 PM
    Can not question his passion.
    ======================================
    You can question his passion if it’s misplaced. Do you think Bill Belichick has any less passion than Ryan? You are confusing having a big mouth with having passion.

43. Hitdog18 says: Sep 14, 2016 3:42 PM

what part don’t you get Rex, the buh or the bye?

44. bencoates57 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:01 PM

Once in a blue moon he can pull one out against the Patriots, and he of the 4 and 13 record against them needs to pull one out badly when he sees Garapolo week 3. I don’t think he’s beating the Jets Thursday night.

45. firerogergoodellnow says: Sep 14, 2016 4:15 PM

Didn’t they win the offseason?

46. ryann252013 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:15 PM

—————————–———

The Jets have been to the playoffs in this decade and have finished above the Bills in the division 7 times in the past 8 years.

47. quizlingclinic says: Sep 14, 2016 4:16 PM

has any other coach in NFL history have a longer track record of getting worse every season?

48. quizlingclinic says: Sep 14, 2016 4:17 PM

He will be 0-4 after getting blown out in NE then sacked

49. Patty Dubs says: Sep 14, 2016 4:38 PM

Don’t worry, Rex and the Defensive Dude will land in LA in 2017. Get your beach bodies ready Ryan boys!

50. nestrongsafety says: Sep 14, 2016 4:58 PM

Rex is a foul mouthed middle school coach. Tom Landry must be rolling over in his grave.

51. mmack66 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:58 PM

They’ll probably fire your brother first, just for spite.

52. cantescapekarma says: Sep 14, 2016 5:07 PM

ryann252013 says:
    Sep 14, 2016 4:15 PM

—————————–———

—————————–

And who was the Jets coach for those playoff appearances and finishes above the Bills (most all those years)?

lol

53. fatsolio says: Sep 14, 2016 5:09 PM

This clown better not get another head coaching job when he flames out with the Bills which will surely happen in the near future. Sadly, I know he will since the NFL is a bloody joke. Jeff Fisher will probably get another job after another losing season and he sets the all time loss record.

I’m tried of Rex and his idiocracy fitting personality.

54. 88ibis says: Sep 14, 2016 5:17 PM

My entire career I’ve tried to figure this out: Why do people think noise is leadership?

55. bobC927 says: Sep 14, 2016 6:49 PM

Different team same BS. As always, still a buffoon.

56. MichaelEdits says: Sep 14, 2016 6:54 PM

Rex Ryan, Captain F—— Obvious.

57. guadalahonky says: Sep 14, 2016 7:46 PM

This act is so tired. Cursing doesn’t make it any less so.

58. controlaltdeletedeletedelete says: Sep 14, 2016 10:46 PM

Rodak. There’s a face you don’t get tired of punching.

59. Angry Orange Man says: Sep 16, 2016 3:25 PM

When I became an adult and swore in front of my folks, they always warned me not to because it made me appear less intelligent. My response was always, “That’s f–king stupid.” Yet again, they were right. By all means swear, but man that was about 75% too many f-bombs.

Also, love how this came out last Wednesday and he fires his OC the next day. Wow, his words, you can totally trust what this man says. Biggest joke the NFL has ever had to endure.