RG3 says he wasn’t trying to lower his shoulder and run over a guy

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Andrew Hawkins and quarterback Robert Griffin III hug before the teams NFL football practice Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2016, in Berea, Ohio. Griffin III’s future is again on hold. After suffering a broken bone in his left shoulder in the season opener, RG3 will miss a minimum of eight games _ and maybe more _ for the Browns, delaying his personal comeback and Cleveland’s plans to find a future quarterback. (Joshua Gunter/The Plain Dealer via AP) AP

Such that Robert Griffin III would go looking for contact, he said Wednesday that he wasn’t actually trying to lower the shoulder on a defender on the play which caused his broken shoulder.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Griffin called the collision which led to a broken coracoid bone and a stint on injured reserve an accident.

It was just an unlucky situation,” Griffin said. “I got pushed in the back — maybe not the hardest push — but I was running full speed, and I didn’t have an opportunity to slide before that. I felt like I could get out of bounds. That didn’t happen.”

He said that the push in the back that sent him into cornerback Jalen Mills seemed to surprise them both.

“I watched the play,” Griffin said. “I did get pushed in the back, and at the last second, the defender came off of Gary [Barnidge, the Browns tight end], and hit me and I didn’t have an opportunity [to protect myself]. That’s why I think what happened happened, because I didn’t get a chance to truly protect myself and that’s when I got hit underneath my shoulder pad. . . .

“(But) not everybody wants to look at that. They want the sexy story. They want to say that I’m not protecting myself. It’s just something that happened and it’s unfortunate.”Griffin will miss at least the next eight weeks, and possibly the rest of the season. He’s going to be reevaluated in three to four weeks.

Griffin will miss at least the next eight weeks, and possibly the rest of the season. He’s going to be reevaluated in three to four weeks. He said “God willing,” he’d come back this season, but he’s not going to rush himself.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “RG3 says he wasn’t trying to lower his shoulder and run over a guy”
  1. najacoo22 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:06 PM

So many excuses… This is why he hasn’t improved in regards to protecting himself.

He put himself in a bad situation by not getting out of bounds when he had the opportunity to. He decided to turn up field to pick up extra yards. Bob has absolutely no self-awareness.

2. vicksdawgpound says: Sep 14, 2016 4:17 PM

Any one who watched the game clearly knows he wasn’t trying to run over Mills. There was a big guy in the way so it probably blocked him from seeing Mills. Everyone wants to bash RG3 all the time but I gotta give it to the kid. He try’s hard and I love how he throws a lot of deep balls but he needs a better team that fits his style of play. Redskins offense is just made to throw check downs and their offensive line is suspect and the Browns want to play to RG3’s style but don’t have the personnel to pull it off. But I think if he were on the right team I think he could develop in to something special but u can say that for a lot of players.

3. xevious02 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:18 PM

RG Don’t Blame me. If you have to look at a replay to see you were pushed it could not have helped much No? I don’t believe it because he has never slid before. I don’t believe in Coincidences.

4. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Sep 14, 2016 4:18 PM

He still doesn’t get it. Amazing!

5. peytonsneck18 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:29 PM

IRG3

6. Patty Dubs says: Sep 14, 2016 4:31 PM

RG3 is right in the mix for “Dumbest QB Alive.”

7. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:36 PM

Nothing unlucky about it, its all on his own stupidity. Too stupid to slide. Garrappollo knew to slide in his first start last week.

RGFragileEgo is simply not an nfl caliber QB. He does not have the mental acuity to handle it.

8. ilikethat2016 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:36 PM

vicksdawgpound, you’re just a tad off on your assessment with RGIII’s play with the Redskins.

First, Gruden’s passing game features a bunch of intermediate routes that go for about 15-30 yards. The problem is that RGIII can’t make those throws. While RGIII does have great deep touch, that’s about the only throw he can make.

Second, the Redskins o-line is pretty damn good, as a unit, in pass pro. There was no issue on their part in protecting the passer. RGIII’s problem is that he often dropped back or slid in to pressure (which he did at least once in last week’s game) and he holds on to the ball way too long (because he can’t read defenses).

Third, why does everyone bash the kid? Because he deserves it.

9. qoojo says: Sep 14, 2016 4:41 PM

He needs to stop pretending that he can handle the contact and slide or get down much earlier if he wants any chance of a career.

10. gerard33 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:44 PM

Narcissist. Can’t take responsibility.

11. papichulo55 says: Sep 14, 2016 4:45 PM

Colin Kaepernick wants to know why so many knowledgeable fans accuse RG3 of intentionally getting hurt. Be serious. Ask yourself. Now look at your reasons and see how many of them don’t also apply to Andrew Luck.

12. snapcracklepopfart says: Sep 14, 2016 4:47 PM

If only he protected himself on the field the way he protects himself in the media.

13. number1hawkfan says: Sep 14, 2016 4:49 PM

The RG3 apologists sound so much like him I think it might be him making these comments. It’s always the coaches or the line or the game plan. Be honest. Good QB’s get it done. I don’t want to make this a Russell Wilson thing because I’m obviously biased. But Wilson has won many different ways. His feet, in the pocket and with a bad o- line. Whatever the situation dictates he finds a way to succeed. He’s not the only one. Any good QB doesn’t always have ideal circumstances but they get it done. RG3 and his defenders always seem to say if he had this or that he could be great. Well, that’s not going to happen because it doesn’t happen for anybody.

14. biteitlikeraffa says: Sep 14, 2016 4:51 PM

He didn’t lower his shoulder! He lowered his torso and shoved up!

15. weepingjebus says: Sep 14, 2016 4:59 PM

Time to watch the clip of Brady juking Urlacher out of his cleats.

16. MiamiDolphinsNationTravelingtoNewEngland says: Sep 14, 2016 5:19 PM

Remember how only a couple short years ago RG3 was gonna revolutionize the QB position in the NFL? ROFL

17. kegowhisky says: Sep 14, 2016 5:20 PM

Looks like Griffin has jumped the shark in Cleveland too. Please, can it be for the whole NFL and put us all out of the misery of listening to these self-serving excuses forever?

18. vbe2 says: Sep 14, 2016 5:39 PM

As Dandy Don would say (sing):

“Turn out the lights, the party’s over…”

19. whenwilliteverend says: Sep 14, 2016 5:42 PM

I wonder what the Browns think of signing RGIII now. He’s about as soft as a roll of Charmin. He didn’t even make it through one game before he was injured and I wouldn’t count on him playing again.

20. oldcracker says: Sep 14, 2016 6:09 PM

Man, does this guy know how to work the system.

21. wolfman55h says: Sep 14, 2016 6:46 PM

Good to hear cuz he couldn’t run over a goldfish.

22. MichaelEdits says: Sep 14, 2016 7:00 PM

Your mama sent you a text message. She wants you to slide.

23. buckeyebrownsfan says: Sep 14, 2016 7:02 PM

“It’s just something that happened, and it’s unfortunate.” You guys are so right. I mean he couldn’t have possibly blamed the coaches, the line, and the game plan any more than that. Yep, backed the bus right over top of them.

As an aside, I didn’t like the signing of him, and am happy McCown is getting a chance with the young receiving corp.

24. stash918 says: Sep 14, 2016 9:05 PM

“God willing” I’ll never have to watch this slappy again even on NFL Red Zone. Hey Bob, maybe you could be a backup in the CFL or something but you’re too brittle for the Big Boy League.

25. dkms2k says: Sep 14, 2016 11:35 PM

I like the signing with coach Jackson and hope it works out. I would love to see Rg3 stay healthy long enogh to establish himself. So we could know what king of QB HE IS

26. Thetruthis says: Sep 15, 2016 11:37 AM

Why is it that many of the oh so few posters are of the NEGATIVE, CHICKEN LITTLE VARIETY????

There are over 120 MILLION people in the US. And I have it on good source, that a good many of them are interested in the NFL.

Everytime one little thing happens. HERE COME THE NEGATIVE NANCY’S!!! I mean really, don’t you people get to complain enough at home?

You are some miserable souls. Because you live in the negative.

RG3 is an excellent QB. He and the Browns are going to need time (about 3 years), maybe a little sooner with with Hue and Sashi, to develop, learn the system, and gel as a team. They are definitely going to need more pro bowl calibre players, either through development (time factor) or free agency.

This is the real world “Negative Nancy’s” and NOT fantasy football.

Browns fans: My message to you would be to know that no matter what anybody believes or says, it IS going to take some time with this much change and young of a team. It took Dallas Cowboys, with bringing in Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman, 3 years to become contenders. And they won the SB. Their first year was 1-15. Yes, 1-15, and look where that led! I was upset at the time for all the change and that QB they drafted, because he STRUGGLED BIG-TIME that first year. But, Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson knew better. They stayed the course because they had the most important thing, A smart head coach!!!

27. sgrvn329 says: Sep 15, 2016 11:40 AM

This is football and unfortunately, players get hit and they get hit because it’s football. Some players get injured without being hit but it’s still football. Most of these comments are made by idiots that have never played or know nothing about football. Or they just want a reason to talk bad about Robert. He clearly did not try to take on the defensive player. Some are talking about how good Josh is but he has never been a consistently good QB because he gets hurt. Josh McCown is an experienced backup who with the WRs that this team has should be productive. If the OL can protect his Josh can win some games.

28. Thetruthis says: Sep 15, 2016 4:12 PM

The typical Negative Nancy’s are going in!!!!!

Nobody at their homes will listen to them. So, here they go getting out their silly simple minded angst!!! I have noticed a pattern. It is always the same people trolling and posting “negative” or short sighted comments! GOOD THING THEY DON’T GET PAID FOR THINKING.

How many posts are there on this page so far today? 27 at this point. Oh, lets put this into context because they believe their own hype. 27 verses 120 million people. Hmmm.