Jameis Winston leaves door very slightly open on playing baseball

hi-res-07e34c8df4de60536ade24c834cd4167_crop_north Getty Images

At a time when a failed former NFL quarterback is trying to play baseball, a successful (so far) potential franchise quarterback has recently mused about doing the same thing.

In an appearance earlier this week on The Dan Patrick Show, Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston was asked if he could rule out a return to baseball.

I guess I gotta say that right now,” Winston said, via JoeBucsFan.com. “But I love baseball so much. The highlight of my year was being able to throw the first pitch out at a Yankees-Rays game. So that was pretty good for me.”

Winston’s contract contains a no-baseball clause, so he won’t be playing baseball for a while. At one point, some (i.e., me) wondered whether Jameis would explore a return to baseball if he struggles to become a good-to-great NFL quarterback. With Winston on track to becoming a good-to-great NFL quarterback, there’s no reason to bid farewell to football.

Unless, of course, Winston could be a truly great baseball player. All things equal, it makes much more sense for an athlete to play baseball or basketball, where the career may be longer and the body will be in much better overall condition when the career ends. The problem is that the skill set is more specialized and more rare when it comes to baseball and basketball; few great football players will or would have been great baseball or basketball players.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
10 Responses to “Jameis Winston leaves door very slightly open on playing baseball”
  1. sparty0n says: Sep 16, 2016 11:14 AM

He needs to work on getting that “no baseball” clause out of his contract so he play for a few months before training camp starts.

2. omegalh says: Sep 16, 2016 11:20 AM

I’m not generally envious…but those guys who can play two sports at a major league level. Dang. That’s the life.

3. joetoronto says: Sep 16, 2016 11:38 AM

Everybody wants to be the next Bo Jackson but it’s not going to happen.

He was a MLB All Star and NFL Pro Bowler.

4. username5891 says: Sep 16, 2016 11:45 AM

I think it could be wise for the Tampa Bay Rays and Bucs to have some kind of deal that the Rays would sign Winston in a sport that has no salary cap to a big contract and have him as a relief pitcher and the Bucs can sign him at a lower price in a cap league. Of course it would be easier if the owners for both teams were the same but I’m sure they can do some shady back door deal.

5. granadafan says: Sep 16, 2016 11:50 AM

omegalh says:
    Sep 16, 2016 11:20 AM
    =====================================

Well, neither Tebow nor Winston have actually played in the major leagues, just the minors.

6. abninf says: Sep 16, 2016 1:39 PM

==================================

For me, the highlight of the year would be to check my bank account and see millions of dollars.

7. yesser12 says: Sep 16, 2016 3:03 PM

All pitchers eventually need Tommy John. I have never heard of a QB needing TJ surgery and being able to carry a team.

8. rcali says: Sep 16, 2016 3:24 PM

Um, maybe he should talk to Baltimore’s Adam Jones before jumping to baseball. Just saying…

9. buckybadger says: Sep 16, 2016 4:00 PM

If you can do baseball that is the sport you do but it is along road to the big leagues. For Winston it wouldn’t make sense to make such a move. After next year he will be able to renegotiate his rookie deal and will have his money. Baseball would be a much bigger gamble even though he would get a much better contract than what Tebow is offered.

10. gofor2with3pointlead says: Sep 16, 2016 5:06 PM

Vincent Edward “Bo” Jackson was a freak. An uncommon combination of power, speed, and athleticism, that will probably not be equaled in my lifetime. It would be difficult to say you feel sorry for someone with that level of talent. Then again how could you not, for how quickly it was taken away? If I had the choice, and this makes me throw up a little in my mouth. I’d take Dion Sanders career. Even more so if he we’re also a mime. Let that picture settle in. Dion Sanders in whiteface, incapable of speaking a word.