Kevin White: I’ve got to be better

FILE - In this June 15, 2016, file photo, Chicago Bears wide receivers Kevin White, left, and Alshon Jeffery look to the field during the NFL football team's minicamp in Lake Forest, Ill. The Bears will finally get to see just how just how dynamic a receiving tandem Jeffery and White can be.  (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) AP

Because he was drafted in the first round of the 2015 draft, Bears wide receiver Kevin White may not technically be a rookie but a shin injury kept him from playing last season so he’s only had a small taste of NFL action.

As with most players in that position, White was left feeling like there’s still a lot to do before he’s comfortable at this level. White had three catches for 34 yards in his regular season debut and played a role in an interception by breaking off a route when Texans safety Andre Hal gave him a look he wasn’t expecting.

“I’ve got a lot of work to do,” White said, via the Chicago Tribune. “I’ve got to be better trying to execute my job. [I’m] definitely still building. Game reps will help. I’m excited, not worried or panicking or anything like that.”

Expecting anything other than a sizable learning curve for a new NFL receiver would be foolish and White’s willingness to admit there’s plenty of work to do should keep panic about his progress from being on the table in Chicago at this point.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Kevin White: I’ve got to be better”
  1. joetoronto says: Sep 16, 2016 11:36 AM

I’m happy the Raiders chose Cooper over White. I’m sure White will still be a good choice, but Cooper seems ahead of him in more ways than one.

2. beardownfromcali says: Sep 16, 2016 11:49 AM

It’s his first game, regardless of how long he’s been employed by he NFL. He didn’t look horrible but has a long ways to go to be the next BMarsh/Alshon.

Keep grinding, don’t give up on your routes.

3. jackedupboonie says: Sep 16, 2016 12:16 PM

Receivers need to be able to look at their job as how ever many snaps they are on the field, they HAVE to go 100% and finish every play. It’s like the batter who should always hustle to first no matter where he hits the ball. The best receivers don’t take plays off, they treat it like a workout, and for gawd sakes, you are paid to do it. I still can’t believe it takes constant back rubbing to get half these guys to run every route hard and block for your fellow teammates.

4. r502 says: Sep 16, 2016 12:37 PM

Will be compared to Cooper for some time unfortunately for him.

5. ariani1985 says: Sep 16, 2016 12:41 PM

He still has time, even Packer fan frankie booth can admit that!

6. firejerry says: Sep 16, 2016 5:08 PM

7. rfgatwordpress says: Sep 16, 2016 9:52 PM

GEEEEE, ya think!
    Youre a 2nd year player, that sat on the sidelines all year long? Did you NOT learn a fkn thing? Did you crack a fkn notebook? What did you do all season long on the sidelines and into the summer, besides NOT look and study the playbook? Im sorry, but there isnt ONE thing you can say!

8. rvz22 says: Sep 17, 2016 11:02 AM

firejerry says: “White was a wasted pick…..Devon Hester # II….never will learn to run a route. Should have kept Marshall and drafted defense.”

Words from a wise man.

I think there is still time for White to develop. But I absolutely don’t understand why he didn’t see more playing time in the preseason. I’m sorry but this coaching staff continues to make blunder after blunder.

9. bassplucker says: Sep 17, 2016 11:16 AM

Anyone who had watched White and Cooper in their final college seasons could see that Amari Cooper was the far more developed player and was going to be a big time contributor from Day 1. Which he was. Unfortunately for the Bears, the did not have the option of picking him.

That being said, I have been shocked at how not-NFL ready Kevin White looked in preseason and against the Texans. I’m really hoping we didn’t spend the 7th overall pick on Cordarelle Patterson but that’s the kind of player I’m seeing so far… good kid, world class-measurables but dumb as a brick with no on-field awareness or instincts at all.

10. vegasbearfan says: Sep 18, 2016 10:37 AM

Should have kept Brandon Marshall- best receiver the Bears ever had and they give him away for a bag of peanuts. What kind od coaces do Bears have that can’t keep a player in line with some personality quirks- Bad decision by Pace to give him away. No receivers healthy and quality last year bit the Bears in the ASS.