Marshall feared he’d suffered major injury, thought he was “going fishing”

ORCHARD PARK, NY - JANUARY 03:   Ryan Fitzpatrick #14 of the New York Jets and Brandon Marshall #15 of the New York Jets watch the game against the Buffalo Bills from the sidelines during the first half at Ralph Wilson Stadium on January 3, 2016 in Orchard Park, New York.  (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images) Getty Images

When Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall went down awkwardly in the second quarter Thursday night and clutched at his left knee, Marshall apparently thought he’d soon be reaching for a fishing pole.

I thought it was over,” Marshall told reporters. “I thought I’d be fishing in my backyard in Florida.”

After catching a slant pass and running inside the Bills’ 10-yard line, Marshall was tackled by the facemask by Bills cornerback Stephon Gilmore. Trainers immediately ran to assist Marshall, who was clearly in pain but ended up limping to the sideline on his own. He soon was taken to the locker room for further evaluation.

Though he was able to return to the game by the time the Jets got the ball back, Marshall wasn’t the only one who was thinking he’d been seriously injured.

“I thought he was down for the count,” Jets coach Todd Bowles said.

Clearly he wasn’t. Marshall ended up with six catches for 101 yards as the Jets overwhelmed the Bills’ defense.

Bowles said after the game he was told Marshall’s knee is “sore or slightly sprained” and that Marshall will be evaluated over the next several days. Marshall said Gilmore apologized after the game for unintentionally grabbing his facemask.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Marshall feared he’d suffered major injury, thought he was “going fishing””
  1. bleedingfacemask says: Sep 16, 2016 2:15 AM

“Marshall told reporters. “I thought I’d be fishing in my backyard in Florida.”

If the climate change evangelists are correct, people in Florida will soon be fishing in their living rooms…

2. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Sep 16, 2016 8:31 AM

Remember when Gronkowski went down in Denver last year and Jets fans mocked him?

3. snakecage says: Sep 16, 2016 8:31 AM

BM is tough, needs more fiber.

4. eazeback says: Sep 16, 2016 8:59 AM

I too feared the worst. im glad he was able to get back out there…..and not just because I started him this week

5. jmagnet28 says: Sep 16, 2016 9:20 AM

It’s amazing how your knee can bend the way his did and no torn ACL and other guys take one weird step and boom!

6. thebirdofprey says: Sep 16, 2016 9:36 AM

The reply his knee was bent in a way that I have only see players season end after. Amazing he didn’t sustain injury and showed heart balling out and finishing the game (besides one drop).

Brandon Marshall is a beast.

7. nhpats says: Sep 16, 2016 9:38 AM

That was a dirty play by Gilmore. Hopefully the league fines him.

8. drocity says: Sep 16, 2016 9:55 AM

Can’t stand the Jets, but I was glad he is OK. That looked like a season ender and the NFL is more interesting with Marshall playing.

9. NoobTubeTV says: Sep 16, 2016 10:17 AM

Wasn’t a dirty play as much as one made at a super high speed and Gilmore was trying to prevent a TD. A dirty play is more along the lines of what James Harrison has done bi-weekly for his entire career.

10. ftblfan9 says: Sep 16, 2016 10:19 AM

Even beyond the face mask I thought Gilmore intentionally rolled him up on the tackle.

11. vicnocal says: Sep 16, 2016 10:28 AM

I get that the Bears want to get younger, but don’t you think their team would be a lot better with good players like Marshall, Forte, Martellus…instead of bums like Kevin White?

12. nflcombineresults says: Sep 16, 2016 10:31 AM

Good news for Brandon, that looked like it had potential to be a serious injury.

I’m glad he’s OK, he’s a heck of a player.

13. weepingjebus says: Sep 16, 2016 11:21 AM

It was a cheap tackle that should be fined, and I’m glad it didn’t turn out worse. And you can still go fishing if you want.

14. granadafan says: Sep 16, 2016 12:17 PM

I wish I could go fishing outside my backyard. That must be a pretty sweet set up.