Eagles’ anthem statement won’t involve the entire team

PHILADELPHIA, PA - SEPTEMBER 11: Jordan Hicks #58, Nigel Bradham #53, and Malcolm Jenkins #27 of the Philadelphia Eagles walk off the field at halftime against the Cleveland Browns at Lincoln Financial Field on September 11, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Eagles defeated the Browns 29-10. (Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images) Getty Images

Whatever the Eagles do during the national anthem on Monday night in Chicago, it won’t be a unanimous and uniform gesture.

Via Tim McManus of ESPN.com, several players have made their feelings clear on the matter: They won’t be joining in the protest, whatever it may be.

“Everybody has a right to protest and do what they feel,” defensive end Brandon Graham said. “For me, I’m just going to stay neutral and continue to just keep working hard and focus on this year and football and trying to get the ring. I understand there’s a lot going on, but trying not to let it be a distraction on what’s the real kind of goal for this year.”

“Something like [locking arms], I’m good with, but as far as taking a knee or anything like that . . . I’m not going to put myself outside the team,” defensive end Bryan Braman said. “I’m a team player. If the team wants to do something, then I’m good with it. But if I feel like it’s disrespecting anything that I feel the national flag represents, I won’t be participating.”

Still, multiple Eagles will be doing something, with safety Malcolm Jenkins being the most vocal to date.

“We talked last week about doing some things, and there were some mixed emotions on the conversation,” Jenkins said, referring to the first Sunday of the season coinciding with the 15th anniversary of 9/11. “So this week I’ve really been to myself about it. And over the next few days, I’ll probably talk to a few guys who I know care about the topic and are passionate about it and weigh those options.”

Cornerback Ron Brooks is trying to balance the concerns that have caused players to not stand during the anthem with the importance of respecting the nation and the flag.

“I thought about kneeling but having my hand across my heart still and not actually standing up,” Brooks said, “because I don’t feel like everything is equal in the country and things do need to change, but still showing my patriotism and my appreciation for the people that have come before me and fought and gave their lives so that we can do what we do.”

Whatever happens on Monday night, Jenkins made it clear that statements will continue to be made on a league-wide basis, throughout the entire season.

Permalink 76 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
76 Responses to “Eagles’ anthem statement won’t involve the entire team”
  1. pocketcow says: Sep 17, 2016 9:18 PM

This should be on the front page of the newspaper, it’s that important.

2. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Sep 17, 2016 9:19 PM

How about the owners forget to make a payroll deposit during the anthem ,, like the next 5 anthems !

3. jetblackninja says: Sep 17, 2016 9:19 PM

Football players make meaningless symbolic gesture, and nobody cares.

Go back to entertaining.

4. tylawspick6 says: Sep 17, 2016 9:26 PM

yikes

the locker room divide is underway

5. dickshotdogs says: Sep 17, 2016 9:28 PM

Stop it.

6. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Sep 17, 2016 9:30 PM

The more that demonstrate, the better. I haven’t stood in years.

7. jagsfan1 says: Sep 17, 2016 9:34 PM

I lived in Philly for 38 yrs and am SO glad I left.

The Philly media is SO arrogant and impressed with itself that it actually does carry over to the Eagles and creates the joke of a franchise that it is.

Really IGGS? Anthem statement?

The ENTIRE PHILLY SPORTS EXPERIENCE IS DRIVEN BY DRUNKEN OBNOXIOUS LOSERS

8. southbison says: Sep 17, 2016 9:37 PM

Players should play football. I could not express opinions different from my organization at work and still stay employed. Clearly there is dissention among the team; why stoke bad feelings. Get off work and go protest, but not at the game.

9. cowboys1967 says: Sep 17, 2016 9:37 PM

I can’t wait til they play a real NFL elite franchise like Dallas or Pittsburgh and get destroyed. The eagles are a meaningless franchise.
    This kind of nonsense would never happen on those teams.

10. liongator says: Sep 17, 2016 9:45 PM

It’s like the ALS challenge, just dump a bucket of icewater on your head during the anthem. “Raising awareness” is just another social media fad that accomplishes nothing.

11. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Sep 17, 2016 9:47 PM

It would not surprise me that the money hungry Jeff Lurie suggested this to shine a light on his pathetic organization he never passes up a chance to have his team in the news !

12. manderson4150 says: Sep 17, 2016 9:48 PM

Might some of the players be more interested in their protest then in the game itself

13. whiteybulgersson says: Sep 17, 2016 9:50 PM

This is all because of Jed York and Ted Baalke. They should have released and let go of Kraepernick right after his stunt. Now the inmates are ruling the asylum with this crap. Stop it, no one cares about your dumb political beliefs. I’m here to watch football.

14. bubbamonkey100 says: Sep 17, 2016 9:52 PM

It will be interesting to see if they follow through on this given that a cop was shot last night in Philly, along with a woman who was ACTUALLY MURDERED by the shooter.

We shall see…

15. brendafortheboyz says: Sep 17, 2016 9:52 PM

The NFL had better find a way to circumvent the Players Code of Ethics & Behavior rules. TV ratings the FIRST week of the season are all down, except for the 4:30 Sunday game (Giants vs “Boys).(via PFT) People wait a long time for games to start again after a long off season. If the TV ratings are down again this week, this does not bode well and we all know $$$$ talks!
    I, personally, hope all police departments refuse to provide security to any teams who protest the National Anthem. It is their right, but do it on your OWN time, and not as an employee. Better yet, go to inner city Chicago and do something to assist the Black vs. Black killings, which is a far higher percentage than a rogue cop killing a Black teen. MLK would be rolling over in his grave right about now…smh

16. rcali says: Sep 17, 2016 9:54 PM

Bears still -3 in some spots, vig is rising. Eagles not focused on the game. Free money fellas. Even the coach is in la la land.

17. myasylum11 says: Sep 17, 2016 9:54 PM

I really hope Eagle’s fans let their voice be heard.

The players really need to wake up and realize they aren’t that important.

18. turtlefox1 says: Sep 17, 2016 9:56 PM

Feel bad for white guys. Most players are black. Lots of peer pressure to protest with them. Definite racial divide here. Wonder what Wentz is going to do? Better follow along.

19. kcchefs58 says: Sep 17, 2016 9:58 PM

People with an objective view do not consider one form of peaceful protest to be better or worse than another.

20. mackcarrington says: Sep 17, 2016 9:59 PM

southbison says:
    Sep 17, 2016 9:37 PM
    ————-
    Wow! So your job dictates who you vote for, what kind of car you drive, where to live, what kind of food you should like, what your tastes in music are?
    I’d suggest you find another job!

21. Matt from San Diego says: Sep 17, 2016 9:59 PM

Standing in reverence of the flag is a selfless act. Making it about self, or something other than what the purpose of standing with your hand over your heart, is selfish.

People are so stupid, maybe Trump is right after all.

22. frebis says: Sep 17, 2016 9:59 PM

southbison said

—————

Probably because you aren’t one of the best people in the world at your job. When you get to that level it’s often ok.

23. mazenblue says: Sep 17, 2016 10:12 PM

Hear that lockerroom, only one player is focused on winning a championship while yall are focused on cops. Id ask for a trade to the Patriots

24. tadams198611 says: Sep 17, 2016 10:14 PM

“Oppression costs the oppressor too much if the oppressed stands up and protests. The protest need not be merely physical-the throwing of stones and bullets-if it is mental, spiritual; if it expresses itself in silent, persistent dissatisfaction, the cost to the oppressor is terrific.”

-W. E. B. Du Bois

25. vetelmo says: Sep 17, 2016 10:15 PM

The attention why there is/was a protest has been lost in the “Who is gonna do it next?/Look at me!” context. Where were these guys during the protest marches in Ferguson, etc? Sitting in their million dollar mansions? YyyyyuuuuuP!!

26. buffyprincess says: Sep 17, 2016 10:15 PM

Shut Up and Play Football.

27. defscottyb says: Sep 17, 2016 10:19 PM

I’m protesting too… boycotting watching that game. Join me… hope the ratings tank.

28. deftspyder says: Sep 17, 2016 10:19 PM

which side of the berlin wall would people want to stop any protests and free speech, and tell people it wasnt their right?

football is a thing to be interested in, but lets not forget whats important. alot of people died for that right that a few people here seem to dismiss casually.

29. steelpenguin6687 says: Sep 17, 2016 10:20 PM

I don’t think that they are going to affect any kind of change by kneeling, or sitting etc., nor do I think it is appropriate in the workplace. Also, people are free to agree or disagree with them doing what they are doing. The radicals on both sides of the issues, are the problem, there will be no solutions until everyone faces that fact.

But, in a return to football…I’m curious as to how much time the players are spending on their “moment”, and how much they are spending on the game plan?

30. hillarystandswhenshepees says: Sep 17, 2016 10:23 PM

So have any of these “kneeling” players visited police stations, inner city youth groups , donated time and money for awareness, hosted civic events and advocated community involvement within their cities?

I didn’t think so.

31. greymares says: Sep 17, 2016 10:23 PM

@ Cowboys 1967 a real elite NFL franchise like Dallas, ha, ha, h ha stop its I can’t stop laughing. You font want them to play Dallas. Lol.

32. hillarystandswhenshepees says: Sep 17, 2016 10:25 PM

ReligionIsForIdiots says:
    Sep 17, 2016 9:30 PM
    The more that demonstrate, the better. I haven’t stood in years.

———

Hillary is proud of you.

33. dickshotdogs says: Sep 17, 2016 10:30 PM

Golf and hockey for this guy. So long, NFL.

34. famundacheese says: Sep 17, 2016 10:35 PM

Dallas stinks

35. whiteybulgersson says: Sep 17, 2016 10:43 PM

Can you picture this conversation in New England?

Hey coach Belichick, how about we take a knee during the anthem as a team? I’m more excited about that then the actual game coach!

36. jpk6044 says: Sep 17, 2016 10:44 PM

When did the flag become more important than the people it is supposed to represent?

37. wyrdawg says: Sep 17, 2016 10:44 PM

Hey look, I’m all for it.

However: You’re going to do it at a monument dedicated to soldiers: Soldier Field.

I.. ugh… probably ill advised.

38. wyrdawg says: Sep 17, 2016 10:46 PM

hillarystandswhenshepees says:
    Sep 17, 2016 10:23 PM

I didn’t think so.

Have you checked it out? Pretty sure at least a dozen of them have been there and done that.

You can’t do it from your PC at home, bro.

39. mark0226 says: Sep 17, 2016 10:47 PM

How about we focus on football and not use the shield for political statements? How about the media stop giving them free publicity? It was disgusting to see the media stumbling over each other during the anthem to get a picture of Kap and Reid on their knees instead of focusing on the girl singing the anthem. That was an injustice to that girl and the anthem.

40. bubbamonkey100 says: Sep 17, 2016 10:49 PM

-W. E. B. Du Bois

“The vision of the anointed is one in which ills as poverty, irresponsible sex, and crime derive primarily from ‘society,’ rather than from individual choices and behavior. To believe in personal responsibility would be to destroy the whole special role of the anointed, whose vision casts them in the role of rescuers of people treated unfairly by ‘society’.”

Dr Thomas Sowell

41. Slapshot says: Sep 17, 2016 10:50 PM

Millionaire players getting down on one knee to protest social injustice instead of standing for the Anthem? Really? Oh that really solves the problem, right? I wonder if any will take a knee for the cop who got shot yesterday?

42. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Sep 17, 2016 10:53 PM

everyone has the constitutional right of freedom of speech and expression of that right in most any form no matter who it might offend,it is what allows this site to exist for us to hate those who we disagree with like the eagles exerting there rights to free speech

43. jpk6044 says: Sep 17, 2016 10:54 PM

turtlefox1 says:
    Sep 17, 2016 9:56 PM

—————————

The white millionaires are the victims? Riiiiiiiiiiight…

44. punkrock21 says: Sep 17, 2016 10:55 PM

As an Eagles fan, this is embarrassing. Protesting the very thing that all races can unite under….seems counter productive to me. Stop being attention seeking maggots. Whiners, the lot of them

45. twopaw513 says: Sep 17, 2016 10:57 PM

A black female cop being murdered in Philadelphia does not fit the agenda of not standing for the National Anthem. Then again, why doesn’t it? Cops are pigs according to C Kap and you should follow your fearless leader??? Right Howard Bryant!!

46. thomashardy88 says: Sep 17, 2016 11:03 PM

frebis says:
    Sep 17, 2016 9:59 PM

southbison said

—————

And you consider Coin Kaeperdick one of the best in the world at hi job?!? Way to shoot yourself in the foot. LOL

47. jackdaniels1 says: Sep 17, 2016 11:33 PM

Ole Rog is licking as chops as this is the perfect time to push thru the expanded playoffs and 18 game season. Never waste a crisis Rog, make it 20

48. derekgorgonstar says: Sep 17, 2016 11:51 PM

#nflboycott

49. the610limited says: Sep 17, 2016 11:55 PM

When someone of an authoritative nature (parent, school teacher, police officer) tells you to get out of the middle of the road and you (being a punk, idiot or smart aleck) decide not to, don’t complain about the consequences. If one particular kid had done what he was asked to do, we wouldn’t have any of this nuttiness going on now.

50. suncawy says: Sep 17, 2016 11:59 PM

The only way to stop all of this nonsense about the anthem is if the cameras only show those players that are standing or don’t show the anthem cermony at all. Then the broadcasters should not talk about it. Then, this whole thing will go away. However, if they keep showing and talking about it the NFL is going to lose a lot fans just because they are turned off by this thing.

51. Teddy2Tready says: Sep 18, 2016 12:34 AM

These anthem protests are pointless.

Obviously the only solution to the minority violence epidemic are more hashtags on Twitter.

52. totalbreaks says: Sep 18, 2016 1:05 AM

Anyone else notice that this has gone from being a protest about a flag “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country …” to a protest about the anthem?

We are getting played more than Kaepernick

53. kelsey59 says: Sep 18, 2016 2:16 AM

Maybe Eagle players should worry about winning their first Super Bowl.

54. allamer1 says: Sep 18, 2016 2:20 AM

Our flag and national anthem represent America. Those protesting are protesting America. Anything else these players claim to be protesting is not done by protesting America. Anyone not proud to be an American is free to apply for citizenship of a country more to their liking.

55. kepickle says: Sep 18, 2016 5:16 AM

this shouldn’t be post here & honestly this is the only nation Kaap could have came from nothing to have what he has & if he didn’t make all those millions no body would care

56. TomsulasMustache says: Sep 18, 2016 5:33 AM

Funny that all this kneeling doesn’t solve anything or matter. The same crack head will still be violent, and the same ignorant cop will still shoot someone. What are we solving? I grew up in schools that taught equality. That’s the best we can do. Continue to teach young people the difference between right and wrong. The sh**s of society will always be. If we can all focus on ourselves and our close ones, thats the best we can all do

57. nitschke66 says: Sep 18, 2016 5:33 AM

Soros played this one smart, fund discontent, great an issue that is largely based on false narrative and main stream it using NFL.

NFL played it dumb by allowing their product to be used for anything other than sports and entertainment.

This will not end well for the NFL and it’s sponsors.

58. Ron Jull says: Sep 18, 2016 7:32 AM

This reeks of grandstanding to me. It makes me wonder if any of these guys are active in their communities. The flag is an important symbol for the sacrifices many have made for all Americans & Canadians. A lot of people, men and women gave up their lives so prima donnas like Colin Krapernick can have their protests freely. I would think it would be nice to show the men and women who paid the ultimate price a little respect and honor the anthem and flag. Feel free to protest if you like, organize a rally at your city hall or police station, that is the right others won for you. Just dont disgrace them while doing it.

59. couchbasher says: Sep 18, 2016 8:31 AM

Bunch of PAB’s hosting a publicity stunt.

60. meleliko says: Sep 18, 2016 8:46 AM

Let’s put this in proper perspective! I work for an employer. If I want to protest, I can do so on my own free time, but I am not permitted to do so on company time. The players are on company, or for lack of comparison, NFL time when they are on the field. The should not be permitted to use the free tv time to protest as this is not their free time. After the game, before the game on their way into the locker room is their free time. Protest all you want. Do it on the field and your rear end will be picking up splinters and you pocket book will be getting lighter with escalating fines till you figure out your true place in the nature of things.

61. todd6162 says: Sep 18, 2016 8:52 AM

Stop it already!!

62. hellonewman47 says: Sep 18, 2016 8:54 AM

Bears fans going to that game, do the right thing and boo the hell out of the players who dont stand, which again wont change a damn thing.

Dont let us down Bears fans.

63. blacknyellablacknyella says: Sep 18, 2016 9:09 AM

I was at the Steelers/Redskins MNF game last week and was impressed with the crowd at FedEx. I was scanning the crowd during the anthem looking for any kind of personal protests and saw none. I was looking for black power fists and saw none. I saw one black dude with one arm in the air but his hand was open and he was waving it to the music as he sang along to the anthem. There were well-supported chants of U-S-A throughout the game. The only distraction at all was a black dude a few rows behind me talking loudly on his cell phone during the anthem receiving dirty looks from everybody in the vicinity. I’ll be at the game in Philly next weekend and am curious to see how the crowd is there. Much the same, I imagine.

Oh, and the Thomas Sowell quote posted above is brilliant. But, of course, Sowell is brilliant.

64. gpete1962 says: Sep 18, 2016 9:22 AM

This organization and its fans really have class,

to bad it’s all LOW !!

65. yg20910 says: Sep 18, 2016 9:30 AM

He beauty of this great nation is we are born with certain inalienable rights that include what these players are doing. Just like you have the right to not support them as well as the right to not tune in.

How about we make an agreement that all those that hate people protesting anything continue to do so but have to stop saying people hate us for our freedoms each time we are victims of terrorism . Can’t have it both ways . It appears that a lot of pft posters are better suited to live in Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Personally , I am a huge fan of Jenkins and his outspokenness but am disappointed that he is jumping on the bandwagon . But As an American I’ll never question his right to do so…

66. smuggs1 says: Sep 18, 2016 9:43 AM

mackcarrington says:
    Sep 17, 2016 9:59 PM
    southbison says:
    Sep 17, 2016 9:37 PM
    ————-
    I’d suggest you find another job!

26 129

that’s the problem, no JOBS

67. gonehoggin says: Sep 18, 2016 10:05 AM

I won’t be at the game and my tv won’t be on.

68. JSpicoli says: Sep 18, 2016 10:05 AM

I always thought it would be greed that ruined football for good.

69. blackbug99 says: Sep 18, 2016 10:24 AM

Ron Jull says:
    Sep 18, 2016 7:32 AM
    ****************************************************
    I doubt it. Most probably live in gated communities isolated from oppression, and injustice.

70. twopaw513 says: Sep 18, 2016 10:38 AM

The discussion these players think they are starting resulted in multiple deaths in Philadelphia last night when the police were ambushed and killed for being police officers. The message being put out is that all cops are bad and when you generalize a group, it is never a good thing!
    Get and education and BE A MAN by being there for your children. Send that message out because that is what your community needs!

71. johnnyballsack says: Sep 18, 2016 10:50 AM

I think a lot of the “freedom of choice” and “freedom of speech” arguments get lost in the fact that they are doing this on their job and on their employers time. I have no problem with any of these players calling a press conference in the middle of the week away from team headquarters and not wearing team gear and stating their positions clearly and concisely so that other people would get on board with their issues and not with the issue of whether they stand or not.

If you do not agree go to your job every day next week wearing a Black Lives Matter t-shirt or a Trump for America hat and see how well that goes over. Or come to work fifteen minutes late every day in protest of the government not raising the minimum wage.

Chances are you will not have a job for long.

72. upper23 says: Sep 18, 2016 10:50 AM

Media should start asking questions of these players, To see what solutions they have. Otherwise These are just meaningless exhibitions. I realize media has a liberal bias but if they are going to promote this behavior there should be asking questions of these people to see what their solutions are. The real solutions need to come from within the black community. Just blaming white people will never solve anything.

73. shanaldo says: Sep 18, 2016 11:32 AM

But you cannot blame white players for their feelings – they didn’t start this mess! Oh….and you cannot intimidate me into doing your bidding for you.

Are you happy that you got a job in the NFL? (White, black and others?) Great! Are you happy you make more money than most of us? Glad to hear it. DO YOUR JOB, and keep the piehole shut. I wouldn’t lose my job because a few can’t stand what’s happening today. Must be all the concussions…

74. Stabbeded him in his abdomen says: Sep 18, 2016 11:44 AM

So they’re protesting white cops killing black men. Simple resolution… black officers going out on these calls. Wait,that won’t work. Are there enough black cops to go on all these calls? I’m done with athletes pulling this crap. If it wasn’t that you can catch a ball, you would be working at Wack Arnold’s.

75. sopadegato says: Sep 18, 2016 11:46 AM

Stand up, put your hand over your heart, and quit whining.

76. wooshelius says: Sep 18, 2016 4:27 PM

So many of you idiots just see trees but not the forest. You posters are only good at staying home and doing nothing. Good luck with your pitiful lives.