Shaun Smith says he smoked before games, too

DENVER - NOVEMBER 14:  Defensive tackle Shaun Smith #90 of the Kansas City Chiefs rushes quarterback Kyle Orton against the protection of offensive lineman Ryan Harris #74 of the Denver Bronco at INVESCO Field at Mile High on November 14, 2010 in Denver, Colorado. The Broncos defeated the Chiefs 49-29.  (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images) Getty Images

The admission that former NFL offensive lineman Eben Britton smoked marijuana before games has prompted a similar admission, from former NFL defensive lineman Shaun Smith.

Smith, who spent eight years in the league, said on his verified Twitter account that he smoked before games.

“You would be surprise[d] who smokes in the NFL,” Smith said.

I definitely wouldn’t be; a lot of guys in the NFL smoke. With only one random drug test per year for players not already in the substance-abuse program, players simply need to quit smoking in roughly mid-March and stop until they have their annual test, during a window that opens on April 20 and closes in early August.

By the time the regular season arrives, players not in the program don’t have to worry about being tested for marijuana or other non-PEDs on the prohibited substances list.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Shaun Smith says he smoked before games, too”
  1. sportsmediasameasnewsmedia says: Sep 18, 2016 4:28 PM

Hey, a new liberal cause that can be magnified with the help of the NFL – legalizing drugs. I can’t wait to hear all the stories about how “if drugs were legal, you could just tax them and there wouldn’t be crime…”

Which, we know is BS, but the libs will not admit it. I have a better idea, get rid of illegal drugs completely. How? Let’s look at countries that do not have a drug problem and see how they do it. For example, Malaysia – if you are caught selling drugs, you are executed. It’s a fast process, not sitting in jail for 30 years with numerous appeals…this would work eventually, but then again, liberals aren’t about solving problems.

2. cornerblitz says: Sep 18, 2016 4:41 PM

Sucks that they start testing on 4/20

3. braceyourselffor12 says: Sep 18, 2016 4:42 PM

sportsmediasameasnewsmedia says:
    Sep 18, 2016 4:28 PM

—————————————————————–

Yeah that’s it, let’s follow a draconian law that supersedes every civil right this country stands for. As for BS, let’s get to the fact you pulled out of your rear. The most abused drug in the country are PRESCRIPTION drugs Einstein.

Prohibition didn’t work with alcohol and has been nothing but an abysmal failure with street drugs. It is a strain on law enforcement and legal services and only enables and empowers international drug cartels.

We’ve followed the right wing stance on drugs for too long only to see it fail, like most of their social issues.

4. murraysons says: Sep 18, 2016 4:45 PM

sportsmediasameasnewsmedia

Shut up.

I was going to write more but your stupid blathering doesn’t warrant it.

5. Grulks says: Sep 18, 2016 4:48 PM

I’m a moderate conservative. I wish both of you would shut up and leave politics at the door. This is profootballtalk, not propoliticalfootball.

I think this country will legalize pot in the next 5-10 years (rightfully so). It will be interesting to see if the NFL adapts and removes it from testing when that happens

6. rcali says: Sep 18, 2016 4:49 PM

Well this explains all those dumb penalties we see on the field.

7. runtheball says: Sep 18, 2016 6:25 PM

I am sure smoking the weed with a concussion has no adverse effects.

8. badoglick says: Sep 18, 2016 7:04 PM

I smoked before playing in my semi pro games and I smoke now that I’m older before my recreational inline hockey league games.

I know a lot of people say cannabis makes them lazy. I find it increases the joy I get out of playing and decreases the pain from lactic acid build up. Essentially I feel less like I am going through the motions and I can ignore the negative feelings and enhance the positive.

Of course every one is different, but it works for me and I’m not going to be convinced otherwise after all these years.