Chargers expected to sign Dexter McCluster

NASHVILLE, TN - NOVEMBER 15:  Dexter McCluster #22 of the Tennessee Titans runs the ball during a game against the Carolina Panthers at Nissan Stadium on November 15, 2015 in Nashville, Tennessee.  (Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images) AP

The Chargers are reportedly bringing in a new running back with Danny Woodhead lost for the season to a torn ACL.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Chargers plan to sign former Chief and Titan Dexter McCluster to their 53-man roster. Woodhead was placed on injured reserve Monday, although the Chargers would need to open a roster spot because they signed wide receiver Griff Whalen.

McCluster was released by the Titans early this month as they made their cut to 53 players, ending his run in Tennessee after two seasons. When he joined the team, they were coached by Ken Whisenhunt so McCluster’s arrival in San Diego would mark a reunion with the Chargers’ offensive coordinator.

McCluster’s greatest value to the Chargers will likely come as a receiver. He had 57 catches for Tennessee over the last two seasons and Woodhead’s absence opens up a role as a receiver out of the backfield with Melvin Gordon on hand to do the lion’s share of the running.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Tennessee Titans
7 Responses to “Chargers expected to sign Dexter McCluster”
  1. bettis3636 says: Sep 20, 2016 1:27 PM

On paper sounds like a nice fit….

2. kpunmusic says: Sep 20, 2016 3:09 PM

Wish this guy the best. I hung out with him on Sunday at Tin Roof in Franklin. He just asked if he could sit next to me and introduced himself as Dex then started by me shots while we hung out and talked. Had no idea who he was till a bunch of people started coming up and asking to take pictures with him. After all that all died down I laughed and said I didn’t know you were Dexter McCluster. He kinda laughed. I said I gotta tell you man. I’m a Cowboys fan. He died laughing saying no!! Don’t tell me that!! Coolest thing about the guy was I asked him which city he liked being in better, Kansas City or Nashville. He said honestly I love Nashville cause its such a fun place. So much stuff to do. But I miss Kansas City. I enjoyed being a part of the community. We were so much more involved there. That’s all the football talk we had then went back to drinking and hanging out. Hands down one of the coolest guys out there.

3. kpunmusic says: Sep 20, 2016 3:10 PM

*one Sunday. (Before last season)

4. bspurloc says: Sep 20, 2016 3:14 PM

I cant believe the disaster named Dexter is still in the league.

5. natelan says: Sep 20, 2016 7:17 PM

Cool. Excited!

6. sdboltaction says: Sep 20, 2016 8:47 PM

Always cringed when this dude killed us on the Chiefs. I hope he’s still got it!

7. sindiegosage says: Sep 21, 2016 4:16 PM