Sammy Watkins: Foot is not an excuse or issue

New York Jets cornerback Marcus Williams (20) breaks up a pass for Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins (14) during the second half an NFL football game on Thursday, Sept. 15, 2016, in Orchard Park, N.Y. The Jets won 37-31. (AP Photo/Bill Wippert) AP

There was a lot of attention paid to Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins‘ health last week after reports surfaced concerning discomfort in his surgically repaired foot, although Watkins said he was merely feeling fatigued at the end of the team’s season opener.

Watkins backed that up by getting on the field against the Jets last Thursday and said Monday that he’s not going to miss any future games.

“That’s kind of out the window,” Watkins said, via the team’s website. “I know what I’m doing with it. The team knows what I’m dealing with. It’s up to me to go out there and play. If I’m out there playing I can’t feel sorry for myself. The foot is not an excuse or issue.”

While Watkins says the foot is not an issue, his impact has been limited through the first two weeks of the season. Watkins caught two passes for 20 yards, giving him six catches for 63 yards on the year. That’s not the kind of downfield impact the Bills have seen from Watkins in his first two seasons, so they’ll have to hope that Watkins’ health holds up and that dumping Greg Roman as offensive coordinator sparks better results the rest of the way.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Sammy Watkins: Foot is not an excuse or issue”
  1. TB12RALLYCRY says: Sep 20, 2016 11:45 AM

your new head coach will give you time off in a couple weeks………no worries

2. rabidbillsfan says: Sep 20, 2016 12:22 PM

No, it’s not an excuse. It would only be an excuse if he was targeted more than 3 times and couldn’t separate to make the plays. As it stands now, Sammys biggest problem was the playcalling. I never thought I’d say this, but look at Miami. They are a bad team as well, yet they still find a way to get Their outside guys involved, and still feature the running game. There are teams with worse overall offensive talent that still finds ways to have guys a pair of guys catching 50-60 balls for close to 1,000 yards and still have a 1,000 yard rusher, but that hasn’t been the Bills in years. Like, Eric Moulds/Travis Henry type of years. I just don’t get it. BTW, TBRALLYCRY, was Walmart out of Kleenex and Vasleine? I figured you’d be busy stocking up so your ready to roll in 2 weeks.

3. 345snarkavenue says: Sep 20, 2016 12:37 PM

then why can’t you get me more than 2 fantasy points Sammy?

4. joetoronto says: Sep 20, 2016 12:57 PM

She’s always complaining about something.

5. bobthebillsfan says: Sep 20, 2016 12:59 PM

I can’t believe Rex said that maybe the Cardinals are the right team for the Bills this week. I would think the preferred team would be one near the bottom of the Power Ranking list.

6. chesswhileyouplaycheckers says: Sep 20, 2016 1:20 PM

(insert obligatory Rex foot joke here)

7. rabidbillsfan says: Sep 20, 2016 1:23 PM

Bobthebillsfan, to play a team at the bottom of the rankings requires you to be better than said teams, the Bills are not. Gut check time in Buffalo, they’ve been punched in the mouth 2 weeks in a row, and yielded both times. You know Arizona will be another team that will go 10 rounds if needed, but can also deliver a OHKO. If a coach, at any level, asked for inferior competition to cure his ailing team, that coach needs to fired, yesterday. If any Bills fan has this thought process, get out now, you aren’t even a real sports fan if you ask me. To be the best, you have to beat the best. That is the challenge the next 2 weeks. Suit up, or shut it down.

8. peytonmanningsforehead says: Sep 20, 2016 2:40 PM

The only thing out the window is Sammy’s career in the NFL. (Two first rounders, huh?)