Cam Newton: “I want to bring unity” after police shooting in Charlotte

CHARLOTTE, NC - SEPTEMBER 21: People put cargo from tractor trailers on a fire on the I-85 (Interstate 85) during protests following the death of a man shot by a police officer on September 21, 2016 in Charlotte, NC. The protests began the previous night following the fatal shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott at an apartment complex near UNC Charlotte. (Photo by Sean Rayford/Getty Images) Getty Images

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton continued to try to walk a fine line on matters of race, as violence in the wake of the latest police shooting has gripped his city.

Newton spoke about his desire for “accountability,” but said that applied to the black community as well as police officers. And he also underscored his previous hesitance to get deep into racial politics, because he thinks it’s a conversation he can’t win.

“I’m in a position now where if I say something, it’s going to be critiqued,” Newton said. “And if I don’t say something, then I’m flawed.”

Newton’s city was on edge last night, with protestors squaring off against police officers, looting a Wal-Mart and stopping traffic on Interstate 85 when trucks were blocked by protestors and the contents were set on fire in the middle of the highway, as others threw rocks at passing vehicles.

The tensions arose from the shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott by a black Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officer. CMPD chief Kerr Putney said Scott was armed at the time of the shooting, though some witnesses have said he made no threatening gestures toward police.

Newton has avoided any discussion of race lately, saying in a GQ interview this summer: “I don’t want this to be about race, because it’s not. It’s not. Like, we’re beyond that. As a nation.”

But he also can’t ignore what’s happening around him.

“I have a son and a daughter that I’m responsible for,” he said. “So how would I be if one day they come home and there’s no more daddy?”

He said “my heart mourns for that family,” and that it was “embarrassing” for such incidents to keep happening, but also made it clear he didn’t have enough information about the shooting to pass judgements.

“I want to bring unity,” he said. “And football gives me that opportunity.”

That was in short supply after last night, as another city works to heal.

Permalink 86 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
86 Responses to “Cam Newton: “I want to bring unity” after police shooting in Charlotte”
  1. dreadnok89 says: Sep 21, 2016 2:40 PM

A black cop killed a black guy with a gun correct?

2. r8rsfan says: Sep 21, 2016 2:42 PM

Cuz nothing gets the message out like looting Walmart.

3. learysdisciples says: Sep 21, 2016 2:43 PM

Is Rick James available to help?

4. metalman5150 says: Sep 21, 2016 2:43 PM

Surveillance state protects the police state protects America.

5. ErinAndrewsStopCallingMe says: Sep 21, 2016 2:45 PM

The cop was black btw.

6. chicagosportsfan11 says: Sep 21, 2016 2:46 PM

This is how a leader talks “I want to bring unity.”

7. bobleblah says: Sep 21, 2016 2:47 PM

A cop killed another citizen, correct?

In 2015, cops killed @ 1200 citizens
    In 2015, citizens killed @ 51 cops

I think we are testing the wrong guys for steroid use.

8. rabidbillsfan says: Sep 21, 2016 2:48 PM

Kudos to Cam. Pay more attention to his stance, as a focal, and vocal, figure of his organization, than that of an attention seeking has-been on the other coast. I say this because, this “protest” has been linked to ones race from day 1. It doesnt matter what you say, it has been clear that what Colon was trying to say is “Blacks in America are oppressed”, and that is factually incorrect. The problem is the loosey-goosey nature of our cops, but even further, the continued presence of weapons on folks who have run-ins with said cops. Why did this man have a gun? Did he have a permit for his weapon? Did he notify the officers he was armed? Did he comply with the officers demands to disarm? If not, why? Here’s a test, grab a loaded weapon for yourself, and give one to your spouse, child, family member. Point them at each other, and tell me exactly how that makes you feel. This is a PO’s life, excpet these are strangers, with zero emotional attachment to the person they point there weapon at. Is there a problem in our current system? Yes, many. Is the solution to drive a wedge between the public and these folks and label it “Because race”? Absolutely not.

9. dvdman123 says: Sep 21, 2016 2:49 PM

Cam saying the right things…I commend him for that. Now as to the looting and violence how does that help those communities? It only hurts them. Why aren’t they at work or home with their families?

10. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Sep 21, 2016 2:51 PM

Cam with all due respect your not one of them and they know it !

11. snowdood163 says: Sep 21, 2016 2:51 PM

I’m sure it was yet another case of a perfect choir boy being gunned down for no other reason than being black. I’m really sick of a certain portion of our population that seems to think violence is the answer to everything. Except when it’s used to try to control the ones that are out of control.

12. maiphatdong says: Sep 21, 2016 2:56 PM

The human race is so stupid, and getting dumber by the minute. Simple minded people can’t follow simple directions. This is not a race issue, this is not a police issue. This is an epidemic of stupid people roaming the earth.

13. peytonwantsaflag says: Sep 21, 2016 2:57 PM

I actually agree with Cam for once – Like a lot of people I certainly have questions about this incident.

I wonder what the number one jersey stolen by the aggrieved individuals from the Walmart was?

14. mongo3401 says: Sep 21, 2016 2:58 PM

Guess the message is black oeople cannot ever be shot again by police regardless of their crime because that means police are bad ? Get a life people.

15. outlaw53 says: Sep 21, 2016 2:58 PM

As someone that was anything but a Cam Newton supporter even back in college….I have to say that my opinion of him has changed. He seemed to finally understand his celebrity status and seems to seek to use that position to offer some stability to the issues he is involved with.

Especially now, in a city faced directly with protests and conflicts, he offers an opportunity to put a rational face on conflict and to suppress the animal instincts that appear to become pervasive in these similar types of situations.

Let’s hope his stability helps others become more rational.

16. bordner says: Sep 21, 2016 2:58 PM

… with protestors squaring off against police officers, looting a Wal-Mart and stopping traffic on Interstate 85 when trucks were blocked by protestors and the contents were set on fire in the middle of the highway, as others threw rocks at passing vehicles.
    ———————-
    That should solve the problem.

17. ee00ee says: Sep 21, 2016 2:58 PM

I too don’t have all the facts in this NC case so will also withhold comment or opinion.

I salute Cam for finally speaking with intelligence and restraint. He’s one helluva football player and if he matures between the ears he’ll be #1 for a long time.

18. sevdolo says: Sep 21, 2016 3:03 PM

So looting over sports championships and hockey losses and pumpkin patch events etc are all ok to do tonight right…so when white people loot over dumb things like that…it’s fine…boston tea party…dressing as natives while destroying their own goods etc…it’s funny the people who enabled the racism…started it and are privileged and shielded from experiencing it always have the most to say about it and how it should be handled while sleeping calmly from the stress of being persecuted skin born in

19. mongo3401 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:04 PM

Loot a Walmart and sell the stolen goods in the parking lot of Panthers games. That will bring change

20. magnumpimustache says: Sep 21, 2016 3:05 PM

I hope cam newton puts greater attempts at unity than jumping on fumbled balls

21. dcpatfan says: Sep 21, 2016 3:06 PM

Cam.
    Stop straddling.

22. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Sep 21, 2016 3:07 PM

So because a black cop killed a black man these players aren’t allowed to protest? lol you republicans get more crazy by the day.

23. olefballcoach says: Sep 21, 2016 3:09 PM

Well maybe people should start by doing what the police tell them to do..like put down the gun!!!

24. rcali says: Sep 21, 2016 3:12 PM

Except these were not “protesters”, they are rioters. Need to make sure this is clear when you describe what was actually happening. Cops don’t get severely injured during protests and felonies are not committed against Walmart and citizens driving on freeways.

25. bkrog says: Sep 21, 2016 3:12 PM

Did anyone listen to the hour long youtube live feed from the daughter at the scene. This is absolutely anti-cop. The people in the video didn’t care what color as they hurled racial epithets. And then at the end, it was that “Cops and White people are the devil”.

I only see that after 8 years of an African American in office, we are more divided as a nation than ever before.

Sad.

26. vicksdawgpound says: Sep 21, 2016 3:13 PM

If these idiots weren’t carrying guns they wouldn’t get shot. Then they riot and loot stores throwing rocks at passing cars???? Come on all these people are doing is looking for an excuse to act like morons. If the cop was white they would be crying racism. Seems to me they are looking for any reason possible to riot.

If you don’t want to get shot by police then cooperate and don’t walk around with a gun. Simple as that.

Sorry if I don’t feel pity or wrong doing when someone gets shot when they are armed and not cooperating.

27. savethebs says: Sep 21, 2016 3:17 PM

“I want to bring unity,” he said. “And football gives me that opportunity.”

———————–

“By dabbing on them cops”

28. mackcarrington says: Sep 21, 2016 3:19 PM

Cam Newton hasn’t “protested” or otherwise voluntarily put his foot into these waters. I wonder why he is constantly being asked about such matters?

29. flaccojumpball says: Sep 21, 2016 3:23 PM

No one respects a sell out. If you’re standing you’re supporting THEM

30. weepingjebus says: Sep 21, 2016 3:25 PM

In these troubled times, it is important for the NFL family — players and coaches alike — to come together in unity and while wearing the most blinged out top hats available. I salute Cam Newton for his leadership in this area.

31. beerbudsnbevo says: Sep 21, 2016 3:27 PM

Bet if it was a white cop his opinion would have been different….

You know I’m right

32. nflinvegas says: Sep 21, 2016 3:28 PM

Call CK7.

33. MiamiDolphinsNation says: Sep 21, 2016 3:29 PM

Hopefully Cam does better with this than he did in recovering the 4th quarter fumble in the Super Bowl.

34. thegenghiskahn88 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:30 PM

The Cops messing up and not getting punished for annoys me.

Also, the rioting annoys me even more , as it is counterproductive and that’s what they want everyone to do. They want these angry people to riot so they can have the media and people that love to post on these message boards, more “ammunition” if you will, to run their fingers online and mention black on black crime again as if it’s apples to apples.

35. troy43mvp says: Sep 21, 2016 3:31 PM

Media keeps talking about getting the “discussion” started through protest. I wonder if any white quarterbacks are asked about their thoughts on the police and riots/protests?

36. mnvikes1961 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:31 PM

^
    I think all the “free” stuff at WalMart might have been more important the the riot/protest.

37. mongo3401 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:32 PM

” it’s not about race “. Right Cam. NFL better get a handle on this and soon.

38. jacunn2000 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:32 PM

Just play football and leave your politics at home. These other guys should follow Cam’s example.

39. logast says: Sep 21, 2016 3:34 PM

Tell the knuckleheads that are running around with guns to stop. Especially when the police tell you to. And when the police order you to drop the gun, drop the dam gun.

Amazing that given the facts (as reported in media) of what happened in Charlotte, idiots are blaming the police.

40. agarda says: Sep 21, 2016 3:35 PM

troy43mvp says:
    Sep 21, 2016 3:31 PM
    ———————————

Yup. Not shockingly, folks like Drew Brees don’t see any problems.

41. buffalosunshine says: Sep 21, 2016 3:35 PM

you miss the point. This was never about cops hating black people. It is about why cops (of all colors) tend to fatally shoot black people. The cop that killed that dude in Minny wasn’t a white dude.. The cop that was killed in Baton Rouge was a black guy.. It is about cops and people of color.

42. dickroy says: Sep 21, 2016 3:39 PM

Wasn’t Obama once a community organizer? In his eight years we have gone back to the sixties as far as protest and riots.

43. sirxba says: Sep 21, 2016 3:39 PM

Cam Newton is saying all the right things. He isn’t going out there like other football players trying to prove a point and in doing so disrespecting the majority of a country. Cam is just telling it like it is.

You don’t have to stage a “peaceful protest” to get your point across because most of the time those “peaceful protests” are everything, but peaceful such as setting highways on fire and robbing walmarts.

44. jpk6044 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:40 PM

I can’t help but think that the people who are saying black guys shouldn’t carry guns are the same folk who say there would be no mass shootings if we all carried guns. Geniuses.

45. fwippel says: Sep 21, 2016 3:40 PM

What happened in Charlotte happens every day in this country; a man had a gun and refused to drop it when ordered to do so by police, and got shot as a result. The only difference is that, in this case, a bunch of rabble rousers decided to use it as an excuse to riot.

Whether you think the police are systemically corrupt or whether you think a few bad apples are given the entire profession a bad name, there are a couple of things you don’t do to police officers. You don’t disobey them when they tell you to drop what ever it is that’s in your hand, and you don’t give them an excuse to put their hands on you.

Using this as an excuse to riot robs the BLM movement of any credibility it might have had left.

46. joboosmojo says: Sep 21, 2016 3:42 PM

So since it was a gun and not a book are the “protesters” going to unloot the stores and unburn the trucks?

47. realqc says: Sep 21, 2016 3:44 PM

maiphatdong says:
    Sep 21, 2016 2:56 PM

——————————
    Bingo. My father was a PO for 32 years and was shot 3 times and left for dead by a criminal of a different race. By the grace of God, he survived and I was born years later, Not once did he raise me to look and judge people by their skin color, just by their actions and mental state. I am in an interracial marriage and have friends from multiple backgrounds. I will raise my kids to not look and judge people by their skin color, but by their mind state and actions.
    Is there a problem in this country? Absolutely, but it is not what you think it is. If you are saying “us” and “them” and you are referring to your skin color, then you are the problem.

48. buffalosunshine says: Sep 21, 2016 3:46 PM

so every Black person is a Black Lives Matter protester? I guess that is what happened in Tulsa too?

49. ee00ee says: Sep 21, 2016 3:48 PM

buffalosunshine, you’re correct.

Let’s take it a step further. How do we as a society get the police to stop shooting unarmed people. How do we get that tension level down? Also, how do we as a society get people to stop shooting at the police and obey lawful commands? How do we get that tension level down? These are both very real problems in this country and have to be address hand in hand because they exist that way.

50. alcore1 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:50 PM

bkrog says:Sep 21, 2016 3:12 PM

_________________________________
    You ever heard of the Civil Rights movement, segregation, slavery, Civil War, etc. There’s plenty of divisiveness right now but it’s hardly the most divided our nation has been. You can continue to blame everything on Obama though if that helps you sleep at night.

51. kane337 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:55 PM

Maybe the Police should start using taser guns first, then the real guns as a last resort.

52. pkrlvr says: Sep 21, 2016 3:56 PM

If you’re a cop and over time it became obvious to you that people of a certain race had a higher likelihood of being a danger to you than people of other races, you couldn’t help but have more fear and apprehension in dealing with that race, whatever color they may be. In nearly every police shooting publicized recently the victim was not following orders, was resisting, had a weapon, etc. When you don’t behave as the rest of the population does when dealing with the police they are going to be on high alert. At the end of the day it’s their life on the line.

53. petersjeffrey36 says: Sep 21, 2016 3:58 PM

i dont like cam.. but yea cant argue with anything he said.. I like how people are pointing out the officer was Black.. Cam said nothing about that, he said there needs to be accountability on both sides.may be read a bit ? but why would you do that anonymous people behind a keyboard dont have to be accountable for there statments

54. doylemcmuffin says: Sep 21, 2016 3:58 PM

Man I just gained some respect for Cam….never thought I would say that. Way to step up and say what’s right, instead of what’s popular. You just went up a notch in my book Cam……that puts you at notch 1.

55. jacunn2000 says: Sep 21, 2016 4:02 PM

I was heading to the riot to protest, then I remembered I was a responsible adult who needed to go to my job the next day. Plus, I figured the Wal-Mart and McDonald would have been burnt down to the ground by the time I got there.

56. radrntn says: Sep 21, 2016 4:04 PM

wow another armed black guy was killed by an armed police…..what a shock! If I am a cop, better off you then me.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

57. blackhammer74 says: Sep 21, 2016 4:06 PM

bobleblah says:
    Sep 21, 2016 2:47 PM
    A cop killed another citizen, correct?

In 2015, cops killed @ 1200 citizens
    In 2015, citizens killed @ 51 cops

I think we are testing the wrong guys for steroid use.

In 2015 there were 578 whites killed by police compared to 301 blacks. People want to make it a racial issue but the truth is it’s a society issue. Things have only gotten worse since the Obama election. As a black cop I can say that I have seen a sense of entitlement among the black population. People feel that they can get away with anything all because there is a “black man” in the “white house”. People loot and burn down their own community only to get mad when owners refuse to rebuild and leave town. The real issue with police shootings is compliance. 99% of these people, black or white would still be alive if they had just complied. Refuse to comply and there will be more flower bringing and sad song singing.

58. pilot2011 says: Sep 21, 2016 4:08 PM

It’s insanely simple:

Police pay scale should be twice what is currently offered. For a job that is so crucial to our way of life here, better competition of higher qualified people is the only way to keep the bad ones out.

It’s sad to say but it’s the truth- The talented, intelligent, born leaders of this country don’t aspire to be cops. Instead the job is now a days occupied by the bottom of the barrel.

What was Einstein’s definition of insanity again?

59. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Sep 21, 2016 4:12 PM

Here come another pair of customized cleats !

60. FoozieGrooler says: Sep 21, 2016 4:12 PM

So why do our soldiers practice “rules of engagement” in combat situations, taking a life only as a last resort, when cops seem to practice “shoot first, ask questions later” on our streets?
    No wonder people are PO’d.

61. truevision21 says: Sep 21, 2016 4:13 PM

Stay focused, even through this tragedy. We have a huge task at hand. How do we eradicate 450 years of injustice overnight? Can’t be done. Cam should have a show with Jerry Rice, called Dazed and Confused…..

62. yourunclerico says: Sep 21, 2016 4:14 PM

Heres a quick solution.

1. Keep the politics out of football!
    2. Obey the police = dont get shot 99.9999% of the time!
    3. stop inflaming and pointing to injustice and start educating on how important it is to follow the commands of the police
    4. stop looking for racism everytime someone disagrees with you
    5. CNN/MSNBC/FOX – Stop fanning the flames for ratings!

simple.

63. usa98j30t4 says: Sep 21, 2016 4:14 PM

So, let me get this right. In every instance according to “witnesses”, these folks have NEVER been a threat to the police.

These witnesses are usually people who live in the neighborhood and know the individual. What do you think they are going to say.

Why does looting take place so often after these instances? Is that a protest statement?

64. bucsorbust says: Sep 21, 2016 4:16 PM

I like it better when our favorite teams draft players out of college to play football, and we buy tickets to watch them play football. And they…(just) play football.

No issue with what Cam says, but look NFL, give us a break from the politics when we pay to watch football and want to do just that. There’s a dozen news and political channels to address the other stuff.

65. chicitybulls says: Sep 21, 2016 4:23 PM

Reading these comments are sickening. The ignorant and yes racist people want to say that this man had a gun (which hasn’t been proven) and say that’s cause for him to get shot and killed. I’m sure you also say that Terence Crutcher should’ve been killed too, right? Even though he didn’t have a weapon and wasn’t reaching for anything (there’s video showing his windows were UP. No wonder I never come to this site. Some of you people are disgusting.

66. thetooloftools says: Sep 21, 2016 4:27 PM

This isn’t about white police officers anymore. It’s turning into “under no circumstances do you shoot a black man” which is just the position BLM wanted society to move. Statics prove racial profiling is accurate but liberals want to ignore facts.

67. collectordude says: Sep 21, 2016 4:28 PM

People will listen to Newton when pigs fly.
    Blue Lives Matter

68. dejc421 says: Sep 21, 2016 4:29 PM

Can’t criticize someone who is trying to make things better. He could say and do nothing and just go about his business and no one would say a thing. Give him credit for caring and trying to do the right thing.

69. biggredbird76 says: Sep 21, 2016 4:32 PM

I do not mind the attempt at justification by saying more whites are killed than blacks. But in that justification how many were unarmed. I think we should really talk about some of the more atrocious things white folks have done. They are not going to understand any point of view when it comes to police using excessive force. There is plenty more news on rape, and molestation bombing attempts the whole nine, and it involves white folks. I would want to see them justify those things.

70. bobleblah says: Sep 21, 2016 4:34 PM

In a typical stop, a cop is 14 times more likely to put their hands on a black person than on a white one.

Its not only about extra-judicial killings – cops just plain treat blacks different than whites, and not better.

71. liongator says: Sep 21, 2016 4:36 PM

All the time, money and manpower spent protesting has saved zero lives.
    If that time, money and manpower was spent volunteering to mentor kids with no role model to take a different path in life would save an entire generation.

Nah, let’s just burn the walmart.

72. Mo Pro Babble says: Sep 21, 2016 4:36 PM

Cam is right, dammed if he does, dammed if he don’t.

Saying both sides have issues is also dammed right.

73. iamedreed says: Sep 21, 2016 4:45 PM

kudos for cam for not getting suckered in to this silly media driven narrative without all of the facts

74. Mo Pro Babble says: Sep 21, 2016 4:47 PM

chicitybulls says:
    Sep 21, 2016 4:23 PM

The windows were up. That’s what you got out of that video. Nothing before. There’s your problem right there folks. Total departure from rational thought and no sense of responsibility.

75. feelnsavage says: Sep 21, 2016 4:51 PM

Sad fact…. officer was actually an ex panther player

76. mikeinminny says: Sep 21, 2016 4:54 PM

———————————————————-
    Thank you…I couldn’t agree more. Are there serious issues in our society that need to be addressed..absolutely
    But sports used to be my escape from life.
    Now, every time I look at a site or watch a sports channel, it’s a civics lesson. The ironic thing is that the platform that these athletes are using to champion their cause is eroding for that fact. People are getting so sick of this and that it is actually beginning to divide everyone even more.

77. bigdingyguy says: Sep 21, 2016 5:05 PM

As a life long Dolphins fan, disgusted with our four special snowflakes and their disrespect; never mind the consistently horrible level of play; Carolina continues to make a strong play for my support.

78. beerbudsnbevo says: Sep 21, 2016 5:12 PM

kane337 says:
    Sep 21, 2016 3:55 PM

****************************

Until the person on PCP, like the guy in Tulsa rips the tazer out of his skin and shoots you dead…

79. idiedpretty says: Sep 21, 2016 5:28 PM

OMG, canot wait for Cam’s new UNITY DANCE!! This is for a very public cause, HIM! Yipee! Thanks Camera!

80. snapcracklepopfart says: Sep 21, 2016 5:28 PM

“I’m really sick of a certain portion of our population that seems to think violence is the answer to everything.”

You could be referring to the looters… or you could be referring to the cops.

81. ryanlatterell says: Sep 21, 2016 5:59 PM

Throw the ball and shut up please

82. dcpatfan says: Sep 21, 2016 6:20 PM

bkrog says:
    Sep 21, 2016 3:12 PM

Sad.
    —————————
    And you know why that is???
    Because throughout American History, no great minority achievement is without a majority backlash. Simple as that.

83. dukeblue12 says: Sep 21, 2016 6:41 PM

We already know blue lives matter. When you can kill the very people you’ve sworn to protect and serve, and get paid administrative leave, you’ve made it in life..

84. str82dvd says: Sep 21, 2016 6:49 PM

Nice job, Cam. I’ve been a big hater the last couple years but he’s been impressing me on and off the field this year. Well, except for his clothes. Some ridiculous getups, fo sho. lol

85. flipt143 says: Sep 21, 2016 7:19 PM

I like football.

86. bud33345 says: Sep 21, 2016 10:51 PM

Cam Newton has shown he is a leader on and off the field. If everyone in this country took notice of what Cam had to say about accountability it holds so true in this instance. Especially when he speaks of the black community being held accountable. Everyone should read the complete interview on black and blue view review so you can fully grasp what cam is saying. He does have a message of unity. He has shown in the passed he is not afraid to speak out on his beliefs and the instance was no different. He did the same thing with the Charleston church shooting. Keep doing you Cam, and don’t be pressured by the media to do something that doesn’t represent you and what you stand for!