Former Washington LB, now with Giants, describes toxic locker room

LANDOVER, MD - JANUARY 10: Quarterback Kirk Cousins #8 of the Washington Redskin looks on against the Green Bay Packers at FedExField on January 10, 2016 in Landover, Maryland. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images) Getty Images

With recent reports that some offensive teammates are already grumbling about Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins, some might wonder how widespread the problem is.

But Giants linebacker Keenan Robinson has seen it up close, and says the locker room there was a toxic place.

“When I was there, three out of the four years it was the same thing: Once they get down, they start pointing fingers, and that’s true,” Robinson said, via Howie Kussoy of the New York Post. “They didn’t handle it the right way when I was there. They may handle it different now, but when I was there they started pointing fingers, people started talking, that’s how you get dissension in the locker room.

“The only year it didn’t happen was my rookie year when Robert [Griffin III] took us to the playoffs. Other than that, the guys are kind of unsure.”

Robinson spent four years there, and said he was offered a “big contract” after the 2014 season. But he said he chose to leave, and signed with the Giants as an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

“It was my choice. I felt like it was time for me to move on,” Robinson said. “They had offered me a big contract. I turned it down. I felt like that wasn’t the spot I wanted to be in the next four or five years and I felt there were better opportunities out there and obviously I ended up in the right spot. I’m loving it here and I’m loving what we have. . . . I feel like I fit right in.”

Inconsistency on the field can certainly lead to grumbling, and there hasn’t been enough sustained success there to create a positive culture.But whether it’s actually that bad or Robinson is just using the current context to tweak this week’s opponent, he’s far from the only one to suggest issues there.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
33 Responses to “Former Washington LB, now with Giants, describes toxic locker room”
  1. jjb0811 says: Sep 21, 2016 6:52 AM

Players, coaching staffs, & front office people come & go in the Skins organization. Dan never does. He holds back the team from winning on the field.

2. stevejjones says: Sep 21, 2016 6:52 AM

So he wasn’t there last year and this year? Is that what you’re basically saying?

3. douchebigelow says: Sep 21, 2016 7:16 AM

REDSKINS

4. thefootballgodssay says: Sep 21, 2016 7:40 AM

GO GIANTS ! ! !

5. truevision21 says: Sep 21, 2016 7:52 AM

Gruden is waaaaaayyyy overrated! I’d like to hear him dissect Cousins’ game like he did RG3.

6. iamblackbeard says: Sep 21, 2016 7:54 AM

That’s why when all the “experts” thought the Redskins were the “class” of the division I just laughed it off.

It will almost always be between the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants. Look what it took for the skins to win the division last year.

Cowboys – No Romo

Eagles – No QB

Giants – Best defensive player has 6-7 fingers.

My Giants look good this year, and even if the skins win this week. I’m
    More worried about the Eagles and Cowboys.

Skins are trash.

7. thereyougo2 says: Sep 21, 2016 8:02 AM

The Deadskins have returned all praise Daniel The boss. Deshawn is on his way back to Philadelphia.

8. PegulaBucks says: Sep 21, 2016 8:13 AM

Cousins is average at best, same as Tyrod and about 25 other QBs in the league currently.

9. icebergsimpson says: Sep 21, 2016 8:20 AM

Shocking.

10. kdalexander703 says: Sep 21, 2016 8:22 AM

I’m not arguing that there aren’t issues in the Redskins locker room, but I think the main reason Keenan Robinson isn’t in Washington anymore is that he wasn’t going to start over Will Compton or Mason Foster.

11. hendawg21 says: Sep 21, 2016 8:36 AM

Well in his case they were probably pointing at him and a few others on defense who would solo instead of doing their job. It’s not hard if you know football to see when players blow assignments, and when he was playing there you could see several guys trying to do more than they should’ve been and getting caught out of position, and another reason he and Perry Riley fell out of the starting lineup, because as soon as they were replaced the LB play and defense improved…and I don’t know about anyone else but I hate players who get picked up by another team and then become what some would call a snitch, but in actuality they are their own reason for being on another team, no question he showed talent, however, with injuries and then being outplayed, now the locker room was toxic.

12. retiredrichardsandberg says: Sep 21, 2016 8:40 AM

Ever since Snyder bought the team they have been a joke, but I THOUGHT there was improvement under Gruden. If Snyder is still poking his fingers in the pie it will continue to be a mess. Players need stability.

13. camcameronsucks says: Sep 21, 2016 8:42 AM

Wait, you mean the Redskins are a complete mess?? No way!

What do you expect when you have a over-bearing racist GM, a numskull for a coach, and selfish players like DeSean Jackson and Josh Norman?

14. enkay85 says: Sep 21, 2016 8:45 AM

Par for course when 3 of the 4 years he was there were losing seasons. I struggle to believe this doesn’t happen in all places to some degree where losing is/was prevalent.

15. Mo Pro Babble says: Sep 21, 2016 8:48 AM

Probably started when they tried to force RG3 on everyone as the next big thing. The players knew the truth.

16. RuddyJamesDIO says: Sep 21, 2016 8:51 AM

Big contract???….pleez You weren’t offered any contract because you stunk up the field. What’s the big contract you signed in New York??? I’m sure the Giants locker room was fantastic whyen Eli threw 20+ interceptions a few years ago.

17. sabrastang says: Sep 21, 2016 8:51 AM

Uhhh, you didn’t leave, you were Cut

18. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 21, 2016 8:53 AM

Keenan Whatshisface was a tackling dummy with bad knees in his time here. He’ll be just another speed bump for Matt Jones on Sunday.

19. dalfanforever says: Sep 21, 2016 9:00 AM

After living here in the DC area since 1995, this happens every single time there is a bit of turmoil with the Redskins. I can totally believe it, because listening to fans here and watching TV and radio, they’re looking for a scapegoat. Kirk is this weeks, next week it could very well be someone else who makes a mistake.

As a football fan, it’s sad when a franchise eats itself from within. Danny Boy has only perpetuated it by bringing in wrong people and not addressing glaring needs like O-line a D-line for shiny toys like WRs. It’s great when you can score 25 points, but when you give up 30, it doesn’t work out so well.

Then again, this post could easily be about Jerrah Jones. 🙂

20. orangeraider says: Sep 21, 2016 9:02 AM

Losers abound in DC
    Politicians, bureaucrats and the Redskins
    HAHAHA

21. bigjdve says: Sep 21, 2016 9:09 AM

I wonder if anyone is going to ask him what he has to say when the Giants start losing. It seems to me that all teams start to have the same issue, and it could be said that it is because the media is trying to start drama for sales, and the athletes seem to fall for it.

22. jag1959 says: Sep 21, 2016 9:17 AM

Jay Gruden certainly walked into a RGme fueled mess with the Skins. Hoped for the fans and even the divisions sake with him gone the culture would improve but with the recent stuff coming out of there it sounds like the hangover may be lingering and they have may have a leadership vacuum. At the end of the day winning cures a multitude of ills, could get ugly if they keep losing.

23. boss81hogg says: Sep 21, 2016 9:20 AM

Keenan, I loved you as a Redskins man. But you were on IR for most of your tenure here and you were benched for poor play last year.

I appreciate you playing for my team and I’m sure some of what you said is true, but you need to act like a professional.

Best of luck with the Giants, try to stay healthy.

24. jacoby66forhof says: Sep 21, 2016 9:29 AM

Keenan Robinson played in 36 out of 64 games he was a Redskins, including missing the entire ’13 season. I call BS on his claim he was offered a big contract after the ’14 season. The guy was never healthy. Never played a 16 game season. And he was phased out, beaten out, by undrafted Will Compton last year because Robinson got hurt again and questions about Robinson’s toughness started bubbling up.

As a Skins fan I won’t pretend to say the team has not been dysfunctional in the past, or present, but this guys comments should be taken with a grain of salt. If he wasn’t made of glass he would still be in Washington.

25. sgordon909usdm419 says: Sep 21, 2016 9:36 AM

YOU DON’T LIKE THAT!?!?

26. finchy74 says: Sep 21, 2016 10:46 AM

This report does make some sense.

When I first heard that the locker room was grumbling about Cousins play, I immediately thought “After how well he’s played for them in the past, the locker room is turning on him after two bad games?!? What kind of team is this?”

27. purpleguy says: Sep 21, 2016 12:04 PM

It all starts with the head of the snake and you know that’s never gonna be cut off. . . . .

28. dallasdoesntdoitright says: Sep 21, 2016 12:38 PM

How was the weemen locker room last year when they lost more games than they won? Lots of season to go folks…. Slow start last year. May be some of the same this year. Who knows? The weemen have beaten who? The cowterds that if not for a putrid defense the Redskins win by 15-20. Cousins is fine. Did he throw a crummy interception? Yes. The weemen seem to be a whole lot more concerned about the Redskins than they are about themselves.

29. gilj3759 says: Sep 21, 2016 12:59 PM

I hesitated to contribute to not pile on but contrary to the assertion by enkay85 about this “happening in all places were losing is prevalent”, not sniping on one another in the locker room is one of the attractive traits that is cited by many a football player who have been in the Ravens locker room. The latest to attest to that is Eric Weddle who got it from Jarret Johnson and Steve Smith, Sr about the tight Ravens locker room.

After the disastrous season that was last year, all we the fans got out of the team was positives about coming back this season and righting the ship.

While I have heard fans complain, I have never heard a word from the players denigrating Lee Evans for his failure to secure the catch to win the AFC championship or about Billy Cundiff for failing to hit the game tying FG.The coaches instill we win as a team and we lose as a team.

This mentality starts from the top where the owner eased his way into full ownership by “interning” for the job. By recognizing that while he enjoys the game of football that there are people much smarter than he about the intricacies and nuances of the game on the field and the personnel moves off the field. By establishing processes and arming his personnel with the resources for success. By treating people in his organization with respect and knowing their names and families. And before anyone responds with an example of Ray Rice, from all appearances from my vantage point, the issue was handled with benefit of the doubt and with heartfelt regret that the incident occurred and regret for the business decision that resulted in parting ways with Ray Rice.

It is a far cry from the persona and the business acumen that is displayed by the owner of the Washington franchise. IMHO, it is for that reason that the organization will continue to flounder on the field, be a source of discord in the media yet rake in money hand over fist from the cash cow that is the NFL.

30. bigjd says: Sep 21, 2016 5:37 PM

The pattern repeats itself. Player cut by Redskins is bitter and has negative comments toward his old team.

31. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 21, 2016 7:58 PM

Garcon is the common denominator throughout all this. Most of the guys there weren’t there in 2012.

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 21, 2016 7:59 PM

bigjd says:
    Sep 21, 2016 5:37 PM
    —-

Do you read?

He wasn’t cut.

He was a free agent and took LESS money to get out of there.

As did Arrington, and Pierce, and others who couldn’t wait to get out of that cesspool.

33. madczyk says: Sep 24, 2016 7:52 PM

@ Mr. Wright 212

Robinson started his career off in Washington showing a ton of potential but the was one of the worst inside linebackers in the league in his last year he stayed on the field with the Skins’. He just wasn’t very good and lost his job to Mason Foster and Will Compton. Robinson isn’t exactly tearing it up in New York either. He may be right, but it sounds like sour grapes.