Terrelle Pryor is ready to amputate a digit to help the Browns

PHILADELPHIA, PA - SEPTEMBER 11: Terrelle Pryor #11 of the Cleveland Browns warms up prior to the game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on September 11, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Eagles defeated the Browns 29-10. (Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images) Getty Images

With the Browns down to rookie quarterback Cody Kessler with newcomer Charlie Whitehurst as the backup, there’s another guy on the roster who has more career NFL starts at quarterback than Kessler and Whitehurst combined.

Terrelle Pryor, who started 10 games at quarterback for the Raiders before changing positions, was asked on Wednesday whether he would play quarterback for the Browns, if called upon to do so. His response was a tad extreme.

“For this city, for the coaching staff that worked their butts off and my teammates I will do anything for us to win,” Pryor told reporters. “Anything. Cut my finger off, do whatever I have to do. That is because I want to win. I really want to win. . . . [W]e have a lot of positivity and positive things out of last week, things we could do different. I want to look down on this field, I want to win. I am all about winning, competing. For me, that is what this is about for me. That is it.”

Pryor now serves as a starting receiver. His fellow starter at the position, rookie Corey Coleman, has faith in Kessler’s ability to get the job done.

“It is going to be tough, but we have the right guy for it,” Coleman said of Kessler. “He is going to do just fine. He will get the job done. He is a smart guy. He is a competitor, too. . . . I came in with Cody. Rookie minicamp, it was just Cody and all of the rookies, of course. He is a great quarterback. I have a lot of confidence in him.”

Why is Coleman so confident in the third-round rookie?

“Because that is the type of guy he is,” Coleman said. “He is a hard worker. He likes to be the best. He likes to work really hard. He’s going to stay up here and do everything he can to put himself in a successful situation. I’m excited for him, too, because he gets a chance to go out there and prove himself.”

Kessler is indeed working hard. He told reporters that he stayed at the facility until 10:00 p.m. ET each night this week to get ready for the game at Miami. His ethic and potential have drawn the praise not only of a fellow rookie like Coleman, but also of the most tenured leader of the offense.

“I don’t think he is ready on Wednesday, but he will definitely be ready on Saturday,” tackle Joe Thomas told reporters regarding Kessler, with a laugh. “He is really studious. He has been studying to be the starter since he got here. He got the opportunity probably sooner than he expected, but we know he is going to do a great job. He is a guy that has played some big time football games at the college level. Playing at USC obviously is a big benefit for him. He has won games. He knows how to do it. The moment is not going to be too big for him, and we have a game plan we think is really well tailored for the things that he does well. I am excited to see how he does.”

Browns fans may not call starting the third quarterback in three weeks “exciting,” but Thomas has been down this road before.

“Unfortunately, it has happened more times than not in my career,” Thomas said regarding the revolving door at the position. “The guys that have been here for a while, we know how to handle it. I think the guys that are new, it is a quick lesson on being ready because at any moment you could go from zero snaps to being the starter.”

The next guy to get that experience could be Whitehurst. Or Pryor. Or whoever else currently is currently not in the NFL but who may end up adding his name to the ever-growing list of starting quarterbacks since the Browns returned to the NFL in 1999.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Terrelle Pryor is ready to amputate a digit to help the Browns”
  1. flaccodelic says: Sep 21, 2016 3:58 PM

I thought you meant take a pay cut. But, no.

2. r8rnuck says: Sep 21, 2016 4:09 PM

happy to see him getting it done. far cry from what the premature character judgement crowd were whining about

3. kwjsb says: Sep 21, 2016 4:19 PM

I see ring #10 for the city of Cleveland in the next 5 years

4. bucsorbust says: Sep 21, 2016 4:21 PM

I was on a commercial light into Tampa late Monday night out of Phoenix, after watching the Bucs perform poorly against the Cardinals. The pilots had trouble determining if the left main gear was down and locked, so we went into crash landing mode, not knowing the outcome. All through it, I was thankful for all I’ve gotten to do, and for the first time in my life, understood what it felt like to be a Cleveland Browns fan.

5. dumdolt says: Sep 21, 2016 4:24 PM

Ronnie Lott isn’t impressed

6. babyjunkie says: Sep 21, 2016 4:26 PM

Losers never win

7. kwjsb says: Sep 21, 2016 4:26 PM

“I was on a commercial light into Tampa late Monday night out of Phoenix”

————————————————————

I heard about those Phoenix Lights…. They came from Area 51

8. idpfantasyfootball says: Sep 21, 2016 4:33 PM

TP was immediately the best QB on the roster when RG3 went down… After looking at Cam Newton’s numbers for throws to the left, center, and right, I do not understand why Pryor had to be switched to WR. The criticism that I recall was that he couldn’t make the throws to the left… that same criticism could be applied to Superbowl QB Cam Newton…!

9. favresweiner says: Sep 21, 2016 4:34 PM

Prove it

10. shaggytoodle says: Sep 21, 2016 4:46 PM

Cleveland needs more players like this, Joe Thomas and Pryor care about it. Especially seeing as last year the Browns had a QB that couldn’t resist going to Vegas before game day.

11. oscarxray says: Sep 21, 2016 4:57 PM

It’ll be Josh Gordon losing a digit with that paternity suit.

12. In Teddy We Trust says: Sep 21, 2016 4:59 PM

Okay, but would he be willing to do something worse than cut off a finger? For example, would he be willing to play for the Browns?

13. imodan says: Sep 21, 2016 5:03 PM

If the Patriots can use Edelman, a 5 foot somethin, 190ish pound receiver as a backup then this guy should be able to step up if needed. If words mean anything to this guy it sure sounds like he’s willing. Odds are though the Browns never considered him because they had the great and powerful RG3 at the helm.

14. ravens2014 says: Sep 21, 2016 5:44 PM

is he willing to not celebrate after making a catch?

15. j0hnny63 says: Sep 21, 2016 6:07 PM

Jeff George is available.

16. cplwebberusmcblog says: Sep 21, 2016 7:21 PM

I’m sorry Mr. Pryor. I like you… I really do. You have shown to be a very tough, very determined, and very team oriented player. Then nfl could use more players like you. But, you could sell your soul to the devil and it’s not gonna help the Cleveland Browns win this year.

17. jackericsson says: Sep 21, 2016 8:56 PM

Pryor shouldn’t cut off a finger. He needs all of them to stop from dropping the ball on an opponent!

18. azjohnny says: Sep 22, 2016 1:56 PM

Saying you would cut off your finger and actually doing it are very different. Only 1 player can say I have done it

19. twoteamsforlosangeles says: Sep 23, 2016 2:13 PM

Might be worth doing if you’re playing for the Steelers, Patriots or some other winning organization…But the Browns? No, Terrelle, don’t do it.