Rex at 0-2: I feel responsible and I’m not real comfortable

Buffalo Bills head coach Rex Ryan instructs his team on the sideline during the first half of a preseason NFL football game against the Indianapolis Colts Saturday, Aug. 13, 2016, in Orchard Park, N.Y. (AP Photo/Bill Wippert) AP

Bills coach Rex Ryan is not happy with his team’s start.

In Ryan’s previous seven seasons as a head coach, he had never started 0-2 before. With the Bills at 0-2 now and a tough game against the Cardinals on Sunday, he knows things need to change in a hurry.

“I haven’t been in these circumstances before, being 0-2,” Ryan said, via the Buffalo News. “Obviously, I feel a great deal of responsibility for where we’re at as a football team and not real comfortable right now, to be honest with you. Just want to win. And we need a win in the worst way, and we understand that.”

Ryan said it’s been a tough year in Buffalo.

“Us against the world . . . right now, we just know we have to get better in all phases,” Ryan said. “Without question, we’ve had a lot of setbacks through injury, suspension, whatever. There’s no doubt about it. But nobody’s feeling sorry for us. We certainly understand that. We’re not feeling sorry for ourselves. We know we have to get better and we have plenty of capable guys that are playing for us. There’s absolutely no excuses.”

If Ryan doesn’t get things turned around in a hurry, he’s going to find himself out of work when the season is over. Or maybe before that.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
71 Responses to “Rex at 0-2: I feel responsible and I’m not real comfortable”
  1. filmex2000 says: Sep 22, 2016 8:26 AM

Rex-” I feel a great deal of responsibility”

As if there were any other options when contemplating what has gone on since Rex took over.

2. meximyke says: Sep 22, 2016 8:28 AM

Soon to be 0-3! Start packing those bags Wrecks!

3. deacon85 says: Sep 22, 2016 8:28 AM

Of course, Rex said a few months back that he won the off-season. Come on, Rex, what’s wrong with being 0-2 when you have an off-season championship trophy on your mantle?

4. jasons81 says: Sep 22, 2016 8:32 AM

Don’t worry Rex, it’ll all be over soon enough

5. blackbug99 says: Sep 22, 2016 8:34 AM

Bring on the trolls🙂. I think Rex had the team poised for a wildcard…injury, injury, injury, fat, and suspension are hard to deal with. I don’t see a comeback coming, but, being a 50yr Bills fan, I expect to enjoy the games. I’ll make my wings from hell; have a few beers, and enjoy the occasional wins.

6. TB12RALLYCRY says: Sep 22, 2016 8:37 AM

Hows he gonna feel when there 0-4……

7. 6ball says: Sep 22, 2016 8:42 AM

Rex has a tendency to overpromise. When he went to Buffalo and sold the entire city that the days of Patriots domination of the AFC East had ended, he didn’t think it through.

Bills fans have suffered through a 3-27 record vs the Patriots since Tom Brady arrived. There’s little wiggle room in their hearts for another ” bait and switch” routine.

8. MD says: Sep 22, 2016 8:46 AM

If nobody’s feeling sorry for you, and you’re not feeling sorry for yourselves, why even bring up the idea of feeling sorry? Why say it, unless, secretly you are feeling sorry for yourself…

If nobody wished you a Merry Christmas, and you didn’t wish yourself a Merry Christmas, would you say out loud “Nobody wished us a Merry Christmas, and we didn’t wish ourselves a Merry Christmas? No, you wouldn’t.

So stop feeling sorry for yourself. You won the offseason for crissake.

9. nannymcsack says: Sep 22, 2016 8:47 AM

Even without the injuries and suspension, they would be 1-1 at best. It isn’t ‘Us against the world’, it’s Rex against himself.

10. richc111 says: Sep 22, 2016 8:48 AM

That’s ok they won the off season so they got that going for them, does anyone really care what happens during the season.

11. waldoampere says: Sep 22, 2016 8:49 AM

Very good defensive coach (much better than his brother), weak HC, seems like a fun guy. I wouldn’t mind watching a MNF game with him, especially in a sports bar.

12. sorosbolshevism says: Sep 22, 2016 8:50 AM

#Ryanara

13. outlaw53 says: Sep 22, 2016 8:52 AM

Sorry Rex….you are a pitiful head coach…and your brother is even worse than you. I doubt you make it to the end of this season in your present position.

14. firecracker87 says: Sep 22, 2016 8:56 AM

But you won the off-season. So, there’s that.

15. unclebluck says: Sep 22, 2016 8:57 AM

Nobody is feeling sorry for YOU #Schmuckcoach. All teams have setbacks every year due to injuries and suspensions. The difference is most teams dont have the #Schmuckbrothers driving the team into the ground….

16. swhughes81 says: Sep 22, 2016 8:57 AM

At least if he gets fired he will have more free time to poop.

17. alewatcher says: Sep 22, 2016 9:00 AM

Wait until he’s 0-3, or assuming he even makes it past 0-3, 0-4.

Another wasted hire and another wasted season. Time to clear out the front office.

18. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Sep 22, 2016 9:03 AM

Should of went to Atlanta. Instead of he wanted to stick it to the Jets and have a go at Belicheat twice a year instead of having an actual QB.

19. lscottman3 says: Sep 22, 2016 9:03 AM

why blame Rex, the Pegulas hired him?

the real question is where will he land,
    CBS, Fox, NBC, BSPN or the NFL Network, that is the real only question.

20. pulp list says: Sep 22, 2016 9:04 AM

“But he won the offseason”

We need to let this die. There is plenty of other ways to make fun of him instead of being the 18 billionth person to use this joke.

21. happy1114 says: Sep 22, 2016 9:05 AM

All he wants is a TV gig anyway…..

22. justsayin70 says: Sep 22, 2016 9:08 AM

He should fire himself.

23. jag1959 says: Sep 22, 2016 9:11 AM

“Rex at 0-2: I feel responsible and I’m not real comfortable”

He is and he shouldn’t

24. I_Just_Like_Typing_Comments_That_Wont_Get_Published says: Sep 22, 2016 9:13 AM

Remember when the 2-0 Bills were crowing about how they were gonna smack down the Patriots prior to their week 3 match up last year. Good times. The Bills fans were making their plans for the play offs. The RV lot was full on Tues before the game. The team was back to the days of Jim Kelly. And those mean Patriots were gonna get stomped… LMFAO. Good times Bills fans, good times. But hey, at least you can still put air pumps in the team store. And the #billsmafia tools can wear there orange jumpsuits with the name Hernandez on the back. Its the little things in life. Love every second of it, cuz the Bills fans make it impossible to empathize with them… On the whole they are great fans, support their team through thick and thin, and deserve far better than they have gotten. But that 10%, has ruined it for the rest

25. sidepull says: Sep 22, 2016 9:13 AM

“the real question is where will he land,
    CBS, Fox, NBC, BSPN or the NFL Network, that is the real only question.”

Just be a DC somewhere. He can deal with that pretty well. Ravens weren’t to shabby under him. Thats where he got his only SB ring wasnt it? No doubt he could help some team out on the defensive side of the ball, better than his brother thats for sure.

26. razzlejag says: Sep 22, 2016 9:16 AM

He has done the Patriots a favor by taking over two AFC East teams and pretty much removing them from the race. If Buffalo can keep him another year followed by 3 years with the Dolphins, that’ll be 10-11 years of AFC East incompetence.

And Rex, when you go to Miami, be sure to bring your brother. He adds to the show and looks great on the sideline.

27. limakey says: Sep 22, 2016 9:16 AM

Rex, there are 14 games left. Plenty of time to prove who should go, you or Doug. Or both.

28. hakunamangata says: Sep 22, 2016 9:17 AM

My friend is a Bills fan and has been for his 40+ years on earth.

When they hired Rex I was excited for him, thinking he was a good coach but got a raw deal in NY with his prior GM. He said “just another washed up retread.” We argued for quite awhile until two weeks ago when I realized he was right

29. wyntyrmute says: Sep 22, 2016 9:26 AM

Ah the Rob Ryan effect.

Will Rex fire his brother or get him to go elsewhere to save his hide.

Rex is a very good DC he can find work as such. I think Rob is at best a positions coach or competitive eating coach…

30. bondlake says: Sep 22, 2016 9:26 AM

It won’t be long until Rex and his long-haired freak brother of his disappear from the scene.

31. maxkingpin says: Sep 22, 2016 9:27 AM

Let’s recap a bit here.
    Bills have Dareus suspended 4 games, Patriots have Brady suspended 4 games.
    Bills have had some injuries, Patriots have 1 of the best ever TE Gronk out injured, as well as a couple other players.
    Bills 0-2, Patriots 2-0.

So tired of hearing the same excuses from Ryan.
    Me and my fellow Bills fans deserve better.

32. professorpigskin46 says: Sep 22, 2016 9:29 AM

Lol! Never change, Rexy!

His only redeeming quality is he’s not the worst Ryan on staff.

33. joetoronto says: Sep 22, 2016 9:32 AM

When’s the parade for the Off Season Championship?

(Some things just don’t die)

34. swortybounce says: Sep 22, 2016 9:35 AM

You’re not real comfortable because you undid your lap band.

35. thelastwordyaheard says: Sep 22, 2016 9:38 AM

Everyone knew he was destined for failure except the guy signing Wrecks’ checks. I wonder what he’ll do with that Bills-themed custom pickup truck.. that thing was sweet ..much better looking than the product he puts on the field.

36. kgun80 says: Sep 22, 2016 9:40 AM

I really hope he goes 0-5 and they fire him. But as a Bills fan I know my fate. He’ll win a few in a row and finish bad enough to miss the playoffs but not bad enough for a high draft pick.
    In my opinion fire Rex fire Whaley start over. Please don’t give me that continuity argument my fellow Bills fans. I was making that argument last year and this year before the 0-2 starts. But after watching the Bills D get smoked by Ryan Fitzpatrick I no longer can see Rex as a long term solution. Whaley and Rex are 2 peas in a pod. They take to many chances. Rex takes chances like leaving a 5 ft 9 corner on a 6 ft 2 WR. Whaley drafts guys with injury concerns and doesn’t understand why they fell so far to him.
    We need a new President of Fotball operations ( Brandon has to go)to hire a real GM and start an immidate coaching search! NOW not in 15 weeks.
    And yes Bills fans we deserve to get trolled and laughed at we pay up for this garbage every season and every season without fail we get burned. Want to stop the trend, stop selling out for a team that doesn’t do the same for you. Go away Billsmafia I’m sick of seeing you morons everywhere.
    Seriously they put some tiny QB who can run in and everyone goes crazy!! He can’t see over the line. Both losses this year the goal of the opposing team was to make Tyrod be a QB! They challenged him and he failed!! He’ll make a couple plays here and there but in the end he is what he was in Baltimore a backup QB.
    And please don’t tell me about injuries!! Please look at the Pats injury report, backup QB no Gronk stopgap offensive linemen and they win!! It’s coaching and culture clear as day!

Rant over signed a sad and fed up Bills fan!

37. nhpats says: Sep 22, 2016 9:41 AM

With the Bills playing the Cardinals Rex is likely looking at 0-3.

38. quizlingclinic says: Sep 22, 2016 9:49 AM

It’s cool how his teams get worse every year. That’s hard to do

39. 8oneanddones says: Sep 22, 2016 9:50 AM

Over/Under: Will Rex and Rob duke it out on the sidelines before Halloween?

40. joshgordonsbong says: Sep 22, 2016 9:50 AM

Rex’s prob is his ego…Once he gets canned from here we will never see him on another coaching staff…he’s not good enough to have his own and his ego is too big to go back and work on someone else’s…

41. nhpats says: Sep 22, 2016 9:50 AM

Rant over signed a sad and fed up Bills fan!

————-
    I feel for you buddy…..

42. quizlingclinic says: Sep 22, 2016 9:51 AM

He will be fired after Patriots blow him out in week four and is team is zero wins and four losses

43. guadalahonky says: Sep 22, 2016 9:56 AM

What does an 0-2 start mean to Rex who declared The Bills ‘won the off-season’?

44. motsuret06 says: Sep 22, 2016 10:02 AM

If Wrecks Ryan goes to 0-8, he will be fired at mid-season.No need to worry Wrecks about the inevitable.

45. elevandoo says: Sep 22, 2016 10:04 AM

It was disheartening watching the bills run the same defense against the jets that the Ravens ran against them the week previous. Is that what being multiple means? It shows a lack of confidence in your own system and overall it didn’t work. Next time the bills should try stacking the line but with a disguised 2 deep zone. Don’t leave the corners on an island. Have them bump the receivers, knock the timing off the routes.

46. carloswlassiter says: Sep 22, 2016 10:11 AM

He’s responsible, but he fired the OC.

47. suggzz says: Sep 22, 2016 10:14 AM

Take the clock back to the offseason, and these guys are still Champions!

48. tylawspick6 says: Sep 22, 2016 10:16 AM

I still cannot believe the Bills hired him. It’s almost like they enjoy torturing themselves in Buffalo.

49. firecracker87 says: Sep 22, 2016 10:16 AM

pulp list says:
    Sep 22, 2016 9:04 AM
    “But he won the offseason”

——————————————————————–

Why? With each lose Rex has made it the gift that keeps on giving!

50. flash1287 says: Sep 22, 2016 10:17 AM

@ kgun80
    Just come over to the dark side!

51. billsfan says: Sep 22, 2016 10:23 AM

No one can conjure up a cliche` like Rex….

To bad he cannot conjure up a (regular) season win! But the sadder truth? He’s not solely to blame for this train Wreck.

Doug Whaley couldn’t find a QB, if his job depended on it! OH wait!…it does and should!
    3 Qbs who cannot compete on the NFL level. Whatever could be his reasoning for having these 3 on the roster? Whatever, indeed!

52. daddeeo says: Sep 22, 2016 10:24 AM

na-na-na-na-na….na-na-na-na…. hey hey hey goodbye!

Honestly I have nothing against Rex as a coach but the media darling and mouth thing is just so lame that I’d be glad to see him gone.

53. psousa1 says: Sep 22, 2016 10:25 AM

blackbug99 says:
    Sep 22, 2016 8:34 AM

Bring on the trolls. I think Rex had the team poised for a wildcard…injury, injury, injury, fat, and suspension are hard to deal with. I don’t see a comeback coming, but, being a 50yr Bills fan, I expect to enjoy the games. I’ll make my wings from hell; have a few beers, and enjoy the occasional wins

_______________________

This is the best post of the day.

54. carloswlassiter says: Sep 22, 2016 10:27 AM

I do not see them going 0-4 though – I think thy win just enough for Ryan to hang on for a while.

55. edon8334 says: Sep 22, 2016 10:28 AM

0-3

56. PegulaBucks says: Sep 22, 2016 10:38 AM

Build a wall! Sad!

57. TB12RALLYCRY says: Sep 22, 2016 10:39 AM

But you won the off-season. So, there’s that.

beautifully put……just beautiful…kudos

58. billmiller1991 says: Sep 22, 2016 10:42 AM

I pay very little attention to this guy, other than knowing that he’s a media magnet. But it seems like as HC his teams constantly overpromise. At some point you gotta ask, Where’s the beef, man?

59. nhpats says: Sep 22, 2016 11:03 AM

Can you imagine Rex Ryan coaching the Cowboys for Jerry Jones? The two of them would be falling all over themselves to take the microphone away from each other….

60. granadafan says: Sep 22, 2016 11:12 AM

Bills fans are probably better off if the team loses its next few games. The sooner Pegula fires Rex the better.

61. jvw1982 says: Sep 22, 2016 11:15 AM

I don’t blame the guy for hiring Rex, he is a good coach his problem is he didn’t learn anything from his mistakes in NY…Now the next fool that hires him needs the blame, because its apparent that Rex is Rex and can’t or won’t change….if he last the season I could see him winning 6-8 ball games….

62. nyneal says: Sep 22, 2016 11:20 AM

The big blowhard is learning what the rest of us already knew — he is not a good head coach and the only reason he gets as much press as he does is because of his big mouth.
    The Bills are dumber than the Jets were. They not only bought into Rex’s bull, they hired his dumb brother, too!!!

63. 1trojan33usc says: Sep 22, 2016 11:22 AM

Rex, just stop talking about it and go to work. All the show boating will only place emphasis on this nonsense if he fails…………………

64. nookers says: Sep 22, 2016 11:34 AM

Please Pegula’s .. get rid of this cancer.

Long time Bills fan.

65. nhpats says: Sep 22, 2016 11:44 AM

I predicted that Bills fans would be calling for Rex’s firing by Thanksgiving. It looks like at least some fans here are already there.

66. randomguy9999 says: Sep 22, 2016 11:47 AM

he’s used to losing so he should be comfy

67. bullcharger says: Sep 22, 2016 11:51 AM

Turn out the lights…. the party’s over.

68. buffalostarwarsfan says: Sep 22, 2016 12:00 PM

I of course want the Bills to win and miss the playoffs. But assuming they don’t beat Arizona, thus ruining any sliver of playoff hope left, I hope he gets embarrassed by Brissett and is fired Monday after week 4.

69. tigershark0052 says: Sep 22, 2016 12:06 PM

All talk

70. urmomsmyho says: Sep 22, 2016 12:28 PM

This is what happens when you rest on your laurels after winning the offseason.

71. dietrich43 says: Sep 22, 2016 1:16 PM

Much like his father, Rex only has a job thanks to the 1985 Bears. As the Ravens’ DC, he had one incredible year, two good ones, and a mediocre one. But, he took over that defense from Mike Nolan, and it was loaded with great players, and an all-time great in Ray Lewis. In six years as Jets HC, his defense got worse. And in two years in Buffalo, he took over a good defense and made it significantly worse (and then heaped on bad by hiring Rob). His time as Ravens DC is the anomaly, and its seems more like he managed not to screw it up, than to make it better.

Much like Eric Mangini, getting another HC job right away may have been a mistake. If he went back down to the DC ranks, maybe he learns how to be a better coach and improve. But, getting a second job right away just reinforced that everything he did was correct.