Report: Miami police investigating incident with Brandon Marshall

DENVER, CO - SEPTEMBER 08:  Inside linebacker Brandon Marshall #54 of the Denver Broncos looks on from the bench in the first half against the Carolina Panthers at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on September 8, 2016 in Denver, Colorado.  (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images) Getty Images

Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall has said a run-in with Miami police this summer contributed to his decision to kneel during the national anthem.

And now, the Miami police are taking another look at the events of that night, which ended with them handcuffing and threatening to tase him.

According to Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post, Miami police officials are investigating the story, but wouldn’t comment any further until that investigation was closed.

Marshall said that on the night of July 4, he was with friends at a restaurant in downtown Miami, near the scene of a shooting. Marshall said a woman who was directing traffic as people fled ordered police to stop him. He said they handcuffed him and threatened him with a Taser for resisting. He was released shortly thereafter.

“They told me, ‘Look, we’re not going to take you in as long as you keep this between us,’” Marshall said.

Now, they’re apparently taking a closer look at the incident.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
40 Responses to “Report: Miami police investigating incident with Brandon Marshall”
  1. footballboozer says: Sep 23, 2016 8:56 AM

This punk is a perfect Denver Donkee!

2. coachhighscore says: Sep 23, 2016 8:59 AM

apparently a lot of this comes from people deciding that police directives are a multiple choice proposition. coupled with incompetent police work and you then see why we’re having so many problems.

3. tylawspick6 says: Sep 23, 2016 9:02 AM

Goodell will cover this Broncos story up, too. I don’t think the Broncos have ever been appropriately punished for anything before.

CHeat the cap, DUIs all over, repeat PED suspensions with no increased suspension time, Gomer Manning admitting he stocked up on Chinese PEDs fro Guyer to get past tests, etc, etc, etc.

4. fsstnotch says: Sep 23, 2016 9:10 AM

Rather than being a tool and resisting… stop, follow commands, and be on your way. I’ve been arrested 2 times. Both I followed commands and was polite. 1 was suspicion of DUI… I hadn’t had a drink in months! Blew positive in their stupid blower and they cuffed me. At the station I blew 0.0 and I was on my way with an apology. The 2nd was for stolen property, I worked respectfully with the police and helped catch the actual person selling stolen property.

Bottom line, Respect is given both ways. If you act like an idiot you’re going to get treated like one.

5. chadsmith013 says: Sep 23, 2016 9:16 AM

im sure the Miami police are very professional and honest…

6. liverpoolred04 says: Sep 23, 2016 9:16 AM

Kewl

7. duffelbagsports says: Sep 23, 2016 9:17 AM

You guys just don’t get it. You have to be a black man pulled aside by the police for no reason to understand.

But let’s just keep this between us.

8. salentoq says: Sep 23, 2016 9:20 AM

“Goodell will cover this Broncos story up, too.” which story are you talking about? Did you even read the article? The police is investigating Marshall’s allegation that they mistreated HIM, not that he did anything wrong. You gotta love people that come here to comment only having read the title.

9. 2since96 says: Sep 23, 2016 9:33 AM

Weird people comments pouring in…listen to police, its ok to kill them if they didnt listen, or if they missed a parking ticket…it makes me sad that there is still so much racism and placism in this country and people are too dumb now to even realize it. Rationalizing a police officer killing someone who was no threat to them is incomprehensible. You’re just covering up the fact that its justifiable in your mind because they are black.

“a lot of this comes from people deciding that police directives are a multiple choice proposition”

So if the police stopped you when you were taking your kids to practice, put a gun to your head, took you out the car, tazed you, shot you, etc., you’re ok with it? I mean, it’s their directive, so you have to listen, right?

If we truly wanted equality, we would be a lot closer by now. But when I look around, its clear that we do not want equality, and I think others are starting to realize it.

10. stickyicky97 says: Sep 23, 2016 9:39 AM

Problem is people have been empowered to think they don’t have to comply EVER. It’s pretty simple….if you are not guilty of anything, comply with the officer’s request, be polite, answer questions, and you’ll be on your way in no time.

11. ineptguy8 says: Sep 23, 2016 9:42 AM

So someone ID’s him, correctly or not, the police stop him, he acts like an ass, the police show restraint and after ascertaining that he was not involved in the shooting let him go despite the fact that he resisted arrest (which is a crime all on it’s own). Damn, we really need to do something about these awful police.

Does anyone else realize that if he simply controlled himself like a normal human being, this story would read:

Police talk to Marshall… everyone goes on about their business?

12. truthfactory says: Sep 23, 2016 9:43 AM

So there was chaos after a shooting, and the cops were so bored that they just apprehended a perfectly reasonable well behaved citizen who was just minding his own business and obeying orders?? Riggght…

13. corzman69 says: Sep 23, 2016 9:43 AM

Looks like Dexter strikes again….but shooting wasn’t his style.

14. deadspindeluxe says: Sep 23, 2016 9:45 AM

coachhighscore says:
    Sep 23, 2016 8:59 AM
    —————————————-

Replace that last sentence with “coupled with racist police who detain the first black men they see then you see why we’re having so many problems.”

15. lscottman3 says: Sep 23, 2016 9:48 AM

and Talib shoots himself with no suspension?

and people question Godell’s impartiality, SMH

16. truthfactory says: Sep 23, 2016 9:50 AM

———

Sorry, but the guns and tazers typically come out after someone isn’t cooperating. This is a completely exhaderated problem. I was pulled over more than 10 times as a white male for speeding and traffic violations before the age of 21. I was placed in the back of a squad car one of those times for no reason other than to intimidate me. I was always respectful to them even when they didnt deserve it and my life has not spiraled out of control because of it. Seriously… it’s not that big of a deal unless you dont cooperate and make it a big deal. I got a few tickets and moved on with my life.

17. silvernblacksabbath says: Sep 23, 2016 10:02 AM

tylawspick6 says:
    Sep 23, 2016 9:02 AM

—————————-
    Don’t forget Talib!

18. uncommon1 says: Sep 23, 2016 10:08 AM

I hope people understand that a few of these steps can be skipped. He could have skipped the non-compliant part and jumped right to the conversation and then went on his way.

19. jeremy2020 says: Sep 23, 2016 10:19 AM

“So there’s a shooting, a witness points him out, the Police try to talk to him, he refuses to follow orders, the Police threaten force and detain him, he becomes compliant, through conversation they determine that he was not involved and he is sent on his way.”

It wasn’t a witness that pointed him out.

20. silvernblacksabbath says: Sep 23, 2016 10:21 AM

^^^^ in Oklahoma

21. devindenv says: Sep 23, 2016 10:37 AM

Those of you jumping on the police for this “incident” are just going to take the word of Brandon Marshall that this is how it went down. Yet, won’t take the word of George Zimmerman or Officer Darren Wilson or the Officers in Freddie Gray’s death – even AFTER they have all been ACQUITTED and most of their accounts have been corroborated. Damn!

22. rjmjets says: Sep 23, 2016 10:48 AM

Failure to comply with a lawful order at a crime scene. Cops find out who he is and cut him loose. And now he wants to try and make them look like the A-holes.

23. bobnelsonjr says: Sep 23, 2016 10:52 AM

Police stop those who fit the description of the suspect and check them out. Thank is the wrong time to start acting like a jerk.

Why not cooperate and let them clear you?
    If you are a jerk they can look for ways to arrest you or make life difficult for you.

Only criminals hate the police.

24. toybkshr says: Sep 23, 2016 10:54 AM

And he didn’t even “launch” at them

25. boogerhut says: Sep 23, 2016 10:56 AM

Gotta love all the people telling us the “facts” here. Especially the ones complaining about Talib “shooting himself”. You all need to contact the police and give them your “facts”.

26. savethebs says: Sep 23, 2016 11:04 AM

Yo Florio, how’d you get so many back woods racists on this site? I actually take all of these incidents for what they are separately. Shocker I know. I support police who follow procedures & treat everyone fair. I don’t support power tripping a-holes who get off on abusing that power. And I especially don’t support some trigger-happy cop who shoots someone who was no threat to them. Some of the cases in the spotlight I’d side with police. And in some I side with the victim. I grew up in small town Southern USA. The cops there were definitely somewhat prejudiced, if not downright racist. I could see the difference from whenever I had interactions with them compared to when my black friends had interactions with them. 2 completely different reactions for similar violations. If you can’t comprehend that then you’re too dumb to reason with.

27. supra23 says: Sep 23, 2016 11:08 AM

uncommon1 says:
    Sep 23, 2016 10:08 AM

———————————————–

What is considered non-compliant though?
    Is the simple fact of stating you had nothing to do with this you have no right to arrest or detain me non-compliance? My gut tells me this is what happened.

28. helldog33 says: Sep 23, 2016 11:10 AM

im sure the Miami police are very professional and honest…
    __________________________________

True story…I once saw a Miami cop respond to an altercation downtown, two Haitians were screaming Creole and postering angrily towards each other in front of a store. The cop, while walking past me to get to the two men, looked towards me and said “Man I can’t wait to get out of this effin job”. I believe he was being honest.

29. mmack66 says: Sep 23, 2016 11:10 AM

The Cheatos*** Way

30. granadafan says: Sep 23, 2016 11:16 AM

“fsstnotch says:
    Sep 23, 2016 9:10 AM

============================

I’m going to take a wild guess here and assume your skin color is not the same as Brandon Marshall’s and you don’t know what it’s like to be a minority in this country, much like the majority of PFT posters who haven’t taken the time to understand why black players are protesting. All they see is that players are “disrespecting the flag” and can’t get beyond that perception.

31. gofor2with3pointlead says: Sep 23, 2016 11:25 AM

I don’t recall where Talib was when he shot himself but it isn’t necessarily a crime everywhere. Plaxico committed a crime simply by possessing the firearm in NY, then added injury to insult by shooting himself.

32. OG FOOL says: Sep 23, 2016 11:30 AM

Oh looky, the beneficiaries of generational and systematic oppression of the so-called blacks, so-called Hispanics and so-called Native Americans are whining that ol narrative in the same ol racists key, “Just Do As You’re Told”. News flash people, it has been proven within the last 5 years (not to mention throughout American and European history) that complying doesn’t help the situation when you’re not of the dominate society.

But again, I expect the enemy to prove themselves to be the enemy. Not because of the color of their skin but because of their spirit of hatred.

But you sellouts are THE WORSE. Nothing worse than a traitor. SMH!!!! LMAOOOO!

Right on, Colin! (Gimmie that “Thumbs Down” button you so-called “patriots”)

33. 250dollarnflowner says: Sep 23, 2016 11:33 AM

At the scene of a shooting? it’s not like was jay walking. this isn’t a game. what are the police supposed to do? let everyone at the scene of a shooting leave because they don’t want to stay? that’s not how it works people.

34. 250dollarnflowner says: Sep 23, 2016 11:37 AM

i wonder what the inner city streets of America would look like if the police wouldn’t do jobs. damned if you do, damned if you don’t. i wish some of you oft commenters would spend a night walking through chicago or miami. i think you would have a rude awakening.

35. timmmah10 says: Sep 23, 2016 11:37 AM

OMG – could you imagine if he Ryan Lochte’d this story at all?!?

Not that I don’t believe him, it feels plausible… but an investigation could make him look like a Lochte. (or make the cops look like Aholes, which is less entertaining, IMO)

36. tfarr45 says: Sep 23, 2016 11:47 AM

I just love the people on here that say that all you have to do is comply and everything will be ok . It’s those guys fault who got shot and killed because they didn’t do what the police officer said . What about the people that did comply and still got killed ? I find it hilarious that I can turn on the TV and watch the show COPS , and see episode after episode of white people resisting police , cursing them out , fighting the police , oh , here’s the new excuse , high on drugs , and I have yet to see one shot and killed because of that . I also find it funny and ironic that now that Brandon Marshall is taking a stand , that suddenly an incident from July is being re-investigated . And you still have people saying that the police aren’t doing anything wrong ?

37. iamedreed says: Sep 23, 2016 11:55 AM

———————————————————–

if we can’t understand what it’s like to be black than you can’t make the same assumptions about how easy it is to be white in america

38. bsizemore68 says: Sep 23, 2016 12:11 PM

The prison are full of men and woman who blame every thing and every body for being there, however, perhaps they should do the one thing that will give them the truth, you are there because of who you see when you look at a mirror. Bill

39. iamedreed says: Sep 23, 2016 12:12 PM

—————————————————————-

Does it make you feel better about your life to be able to blame racism for all of your problems?

what does equality mean to you? equality of opportunity or equality of results? Equality of results is impractical and impossible to achieve and quite frankly shouldn’t even be considered. What we do is create laws that give all people regardless of race the same opportunities and let the chips fall where they may.

despite how many times black people want to say “systematic oppression and racism” i have yet to see a concrete example of any laws that systematically oppress black people. They don’t exist, what we have is a law like crack cocaine possession that disproportionately affects black people at a higher rate- IMO that doesn’t make the law racist, it doesn’t say white people are allowed to do crack- it means that black people just so happen to like crack more than white people- maybe instead of blaming it on racist laws people should take a hard look in the mirror and realize they are the ones with the problem not the law

40. latenightroach says: Sep 23, 2016 1:42 PM

Okay, so Marshall is protesting because he didn’t get shot? I wonder what his IQ is.