Bill Belichick’s postgame press conference was classic Bill Belichick

FOXBORO, MA - OCTOBER 02: Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots reacts during during the second half against a game with the Buffalo Bills at Gillette Stadium on October 2, 2016 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images) Getty Images

There was nothing specific about Bill Belichick’s postgame press conference following his first shutout loss as coach of the Patriots that merits a headline or a stand-alone post. But, generally, the whole thing was classic Belichick.

So here it is, in full and as circulated by the team.

We hope you enjoy reading it more than Belichick enjoyed creating it.

BB: Alright, well obviously we didn’t do much of anything well enough to win today, so we’ve just got to do a better job, turn the page here. We think we’re a better team than we showed today but we just didn’t do anything well enough today. So, we’ll get back to work and get ready for Cleveland.

Q: Can you talk about the challenge your team faced trying to stop Tyrod Taylor and LeSean McCoy all game?

BB: Yeah, they’re good players. We obviously didn’t do a good enough job of it.

Q: After seeing Julian Edelman’s long catch and run get called back on the first offensive play of the game, did that make you think that the team was prepared well enough to execute the rest of the game plan?

BB: Yeah, we just didn’t have a very good day today.

Q: Can you talk about the offense’s inability to execute on third down?

BB: It wasn’t good enough in any area. Obviously, we were in a lot of third-and-longs so that wasn’t good. A lot of third-down problems are related to first and second-down and it wasn’t good enough on third-down. It’s pretty obvious.

Q: When was the decision made to not be able to use Jimmy Garoppolo today?

BB: When we made him inactive.

Q: Was that today or did you decide that yesterday?

BB: We did the inactives today.

Q: Did you know yesterday he wasn’t going to play?

BB: We did the inactives today.

Q: What was your reaction to the pregame scuffle between some of the Bills’ players and your own players?

BB: I wasn’t out there.

Q: With the defense giving up only 16 points would you characterize that as a good performance?

BB: I said at the beginning nothing was good enough today.

Q: What are your thoughts on Tom Brady’s return tomorrow?

BB: Right now my thoughts are on the Buffalo game.

Q: Was the biggest problem on offense the play of the offensive line?

Q: Did they do a lot of things differently offensively now that they’ve switched offensive coordinators?

BB: No, I wouldn’t say that. I mean that’s what we’ve talked about all week. They have a pretty expansive running game, which they showed and they ran today.

Q: Was part of the problem today trying to tackle too high, especially on Tyrod Taylor?

BB: Tackling was definitely a problem, period. One of many.

Q: Can a game like this serve as a wakeup call for a team that started out 3-0?

BB: Every week is a challenge in this league. We all know that. We just have to perform better. We have to coach better. We have to play better in all three phases of the game. It’s like that every week in the National Football League. If you don’t perform well, you don’t do well. Every team is good in this league.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
62 Responses to “Bill Belichick’s postgame press conference was classic Bill Belichick”
  1. whatjusthapped says: Oct 2, 2016 9:34 PM

How about a question like, “Do you feel your cheating days are over?”

2. tylawspick6 says: Oct 2, 2016 9:34 PM

I feel bad for the Browns in particular next week and every team thereafter.

Reminds me of KC in 2014.

Love it.

Turning point for the 2016 Pats.

3. dohczeppelin says: Oct 2, 2016 9:34 PM

I respect that he just tells it like it is and doesn’t complain or make excuses when he loses. I’m a Bills fan so I thoroughly enjoyed the win today but I always have respect for Belichick.

4. maumontav5 says: Oct 2, 2016 9:39 PM

Aside from the inactives thing, I don’t really see anything worth noting. Man, compared to Trump this guy is Morgan Freeman-nice.

5. chippys lost binky says: Oct 2, 2016 9:40 PM

“BB: I didn’t think anything was good enough. Nothing was good enough at any position, in any phase of the game. It just wasn’t good enough.”
    +++++++++++++++++++

That’s pretty much all there is to say except Ryan Allen had himself another good day and, of course, I congratulate the Bills.

On to Cleveland.

6. brkyle89 says: Oct 2, 2016 9:42 PM

The press conference is barely more positive when they win.

7. mjd08501 says: Oct 2, 2016 9:42 PM

Florio how much does it personally hurt you that Rex Ryan has outcoached Bruce Arians and Bill Belichick in consecutive weeks? I really hope you’re handling this okay

8. foxboroempire says: Oct 2, 2016 9:43 PM

“How about a question like, “Do you feel your cheating days are over?””

How about asking haters like you why you don’t have anything better to do than bring up a tired narrative that nobody who matters cares about?

The Patriots own so much real state in people’s heads. It’s insane.

9. eroschmidt says: Oct 2, 2016 9:44 PM

Not a single question about the status of his Surface 4 tablet for next week?!

10. riraider says: Oct 2, 2016 9:45 PM

Classic Bill

11. ayub04 says: Oct 2, 2016 9:46 PM

As a Steeler fan, I think BB is the greatest of all time…but this wasn’t classic or anything.

12. tylawspick6 says: Oct 2, 2016 9:48 PM

Umm, I don’t think the word “outcoached” applies when Rexie RYan is involved.

Maybe “outcheerleaded”, is more appropriate.

We’ve seen this before in Week 4 or before in Sept/early October.

Rex Ryan doesn’t “out-coach” anyone, especially Bill Belichick.

I think the 3rd string QB hit the rookie wall, the mis-tackles hurt and any chance at executing a simple scoring play (Gostkowski FG miss or Bolden TD drop), was missed by NE.

That’s got nothing to do with coaching.

13. themiamidolphins says: Oct 2, 2016 9:49 PM

Q: When was the decision made to not be able to use Jimmy Garoppolo today?

BB: When we made him inactive.

Q: Was that today or did you decide that yesterday?

BB: We did the inactives today.

Q: Did you know yesterday he wasn’t going to play?

BB: We did the inactives today.

I love this man.

14. skawh says: Oct 2, 2016 9:50 PM

Well, at least the Pat’s don’t have to worry about going 18-0 again! What a relief!

15. elitistsnob says: Oct 2, 2016 9:50 PM

Sounds about right for a Belichick press conference.

16. edelmanfanclub says: Oct 2, 2016 9:53 PM

As much as I hate to say it. Rex was right when he said he didnt care who the QB was because he knew it wouldnt be Brady. So much for the “Bill can win with any QB in his system.”

17. truthprofessor says: Oct 2, 2016 9:56 PM

“We have to coach better.”

He ALWAYS takes a lot of the blame for a loss, ALWAYS.

100% CLASS

18. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Oct 2, 2016 10:06 PM

There is zero guarantee that the Patriots would have had a better record than 3-1 with Brady at QB. Absolutely zero.

19. belicheckisgod says: Oct 2, 2016 10:07 PM

Anyone who has followed Bill’s career knows if you ask intelligent questions he usually has thoughtful answers. Asking the same dumb series of questions gets you the same dumb answers. Since his early days as a head coach of the Browns he learned the media is no friend and will use what you say against you when given the opportunity. He gives them nothing and I appreciate his consitancy.

20. julyeast says: Oct 2, 2016 10:13 PM

Cheats on the field and violates rules by not answering questions with any substance. League has media rules for a reason.

21. realitycheckbaby says: Oct 2, 2016 10:15 PM

“If you’re such a good team, why are you repeatedly cheating?”

22. 1historian says: Oct 2, 2016 10:16 PM

Every year it seems that the Pat throw in a stinker, and Gawd help the next team they play.

Brady comes back and they play the Browns.

Oh lordy lordy.

BTW – today they threw in the MOTHER of all stinkeroos, so I am officially designating Sunday October 30 as ‘payback day’.

Belichik enjoyed this today in a perverse way, because it gives him the chance to show everybody who is the boss and who is the COACH.

23. whathaveyou55 says: Oct 2, 2016 10:30 PM

Ask stupid questions, and you get stupid answers.

Ask smart questions, and you get smug answers.

Those questions were from the first group. The media hacks got what they deserved.

24. LyinRogerMustGo says: Oct 2, 2016 10:32 PM

T minus 90 minutes and the GOAT walks through the door.

Hey Patriot Hater how does it feel boy?
    🙂

#SmellTheFear
    #TasteTheFear
    #DrinkTheFear

25. joetorontoo says: Oct 2, 2016 10:35 PM

Hey-ey-ey-ey! Let’s go Buffalo!

26. imodan says: Oct 2, 2016 10:39 PM

Does anyone else’s sphincter pucker when Gostkowski lines up to kick lately? Mr. Reliable he isn’t since missing that extra point in Denver that cost the team a trip to the SB. C’mon Steven! Get your head in the game! Phew, got that off my chest. We’re on to Cleveland!

27. Judge Smails says: Oct 2, 2016 10:44 PM

LRMG knows all to well that cheating makes you great.🙂

28. broncoguy11 says: Oct 2, 2016 10:48 PM

3-1 without Tom Brady is darn good coaching.

– A Broncos Fan

29. LyinRogerMustGo says: Oct 2, 2016 10:51 PM

Judge Smails says:
    Oct 2, 2016 10:44 PM
    LRMG knows all to well that cheating makes you great.🙂

—-
    Tee hee. Great to see you’re thinking of your superior.🙂 I own you so it’s understandable.

And it’s quite flattering…but I’ll still slap you around because I can. It’s fun! I can’t help it!
    🙂

30. cboys4life2014 says: Oct 2, 2016 11:02 PM

Pretty obvious by my screen name I’m not a Pat’s fan but I really like Belichick and his straightforward responses. You can tell his focus is on the game and what it takes to win the game. I also like and respect Brady especially given that he’s exceeded expectations coming into the NFL. However every time I read anything about NE on here the comment section is always full of comments from the most arrogant fans and most times seemingly most un-knowledgeable bandwagon fans I’ve ever seen especially when you refer to the Pat’s as 4 time SB champions like it’s the most ever won. You understand there are 3 teams who’ve won more right? Pittsburgh (6), Dallas and SF (5) so as far as SB rings go you’re in 3rd. And NE ain’t the only team to win 4. Green Bay and the Giants (haha remember them?) also have 4. So when other fans “hate” on your team just remember you may be the reason. Especially if it’s a Pittsburgh, Dallas, SF, Green Bay and especially Giants fan.

31. Judge Smails says: Oct 2, 2016 11:08 PM

You just enjoy slapping yourself and your woman, that’s if she’s still with ya sucker

32. LyinRogerMustGo says: Oct 2, 2016 11:14 PM

T minus 48 minutes before the GOAT takes his rightful place on the throne of the NFL.

Sleep well Patriot Hater. Sweet dreams cupcakes!🙂

33. RandyinRoxbury says: Oct 2, 2016 11:25 PM

Actually BB’s first shut out loss as our coach was in 2006 against the Dolphins 21-0, a very tough loss.

34. smithdp says: Oct 2, 2016 11:34 PM

Belichik is barely sufferable at post game interviews when the Pats win. When they lose he is a passive aggressive 6 year old.

35. johnodocks says: Oct 2, 2016 11:35 PM

C’mon Bill, repeat after me — you’re good enough, you’re smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!

36. vbe2 says: Oct 2, 2016 11:47 PM

The NFL should fine him.

37. stylzinc says: Oct 2, 2016 11:49 PM

That was not the first shutout for Bill as a patriots coach.
    The Bills shut them out in the first game of 2004

38. bak2bak2bakhaters says: Oct 2, 2016 11:50 PM

I absolutely hate your team, the patsies fan base… Well I’m not progressive,!!!! You!!!!!!, calling bb a god up until 3pm eastern, that’s why the team cheats so much,fan base is a bunch of !!!!!!!, so again, 74 day’s until your in my house after 73 day’s of stroking tb ,gonna be a long long flight home, last I waste …….until Dec..I am BC-WW

39. LyinRogerMustGo says: Oct 2, 2016 11:53 PM

Judge Smails says:
    Oct 2, 2016 11:08 PM

Tee hee🙂 Its easy to get under your skin ain’t it boy?
    🙂

#ILoveSlappingUClownsUpAndDownThisBoard
    #ItsFun
    #AndItsGoodForYou

40. nvtumbleweed says: Oct 3, 2016 12:01 AM

“Bill Belichick’s postgame press conference following his first shutout loss as coach of the Patriots ‘

The Bills shutout the Patriots 31-0 in week one of the 2003 season.

41. profootball13 says: Oct 3, 2016 12:16 AM

It’s a shame that Belichick Cheated and Opened Up this UGLY Can of Worms……….smh……….

42. buffalomook says: Oct 3, 2016 12:33 AM

RandyinRoxbury says:
    Oct 2, 2016 11:25 PM

—————————————————————-

Actually Buffalo shut out Belechick, Brady and the Pats on 9/7/2003. 31 – 0, though it was in Buffalo not New England. It was the season opener just after BB cut Lawyer Milloy who signed with Buffalo a few days before the game,

43. thermo321 says: Oct 3, 2016 12:36 AM

The Patriots are 3-1 and in first place after playing the first 4 games without the best QB in the league and Buffalo is .500 as usual and it’s the Buffalo fans that are more excited. LOL

44. patswillreign says: Oct 3, 2016 12:45 AM

Congratulations to the 2016-2017 Super Bowl Champions…the Buffalo Bills!!! oh wait…that wasn’t the Super Bowl?

45. pittsburghdamned says: Oct 3, 2016 2:36 AM

Hey “Belichekisgod”

You’d think you could spell your idol’s name correctly before choosing a user name.

Typical Pats Homer/Clown.

46. packmanfan says: Oct 3, 2016 4:02 AM

I like him for doing this but I don’t like it that he cheats.

47. rugolin says: Oct 3, 2016 5:15 AM

I wonder where are all the pundits and fans disappear to who call Belichick a genius every week when he can’t beat a Rex Ryan led team.

48. raiders4ever says: Oct 3, 2016 5:50 AM

Mr Personality barely moves when he answers questions its like hes a robot he is afraid that he might slip and say something that proves he is cheater…so if he acts like that everyone says oh what a great coach thats classic Belicheck…he has all of you suckers fooled its classic BB cause hes avoiding getting busted for cheating again

49. raiders4ever says: Oct 3, 2016 5:52 AM

and why is it every time BB talks the patriot fans get all turned on oh wow did you that !! classic Belichek what a bufoon

50. rahavort says: Oct 3, 2016 6:05 AM

Love all the Bills fans who crawled out of the sewers and onto PFT the last 24 hours

51. skoobyfl says: Oct 3, 2016 6:36 AM

Opposing teams winning in New England by shutout is very rare, I think the Pats looked past the Bills and Cleveland many weeks ago, so just remember the mercy the Bills showed by not running up the score. Yeah, it was that bad.

52. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 3, 2016 9:16 AM

LyinRogerMustGo | Oct 2, 2016, 11:53 PM EDT
    Judge Smails says:
    Oct 2, 2016 11:08 PM

Tee hee🙂 Its easy to get under your skin ain’t it boy?
    🙂

#ILoveSlappingUClownsUpAndDownThisBoard
    #ItsFun
    #AndItsGoodF

I know I can safely say this poster is hiding boldly behind his keyboard for protection. You need a pair to talk like that face to face….it’s ok the internet has spawn thousand of keyboard warriors.

53. LyinRogerMustGo says: Oct 3, 2016 10:02 AM

it’s the Buffalo fans that are more excited. LOL

—-
    As much as I love teasing their fans…to be honest the Bills are the division rival team I hate the least… plus I’ve had a soft spot for that franchise ever since I found out Ralph Wilson helped keep the AFL Patriots franchise afloat…. I’d pull for them if they ever got back to a Super Bowl.

54. imodan says: Oct 3, 2016 10:15 AM

thermo321 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 12:36 AM

——————————————————–
    Let em have their day. They just won their Super Bowl. We Pat’s fans can rejoice in the fact that TB is back and we lead the division. There’s a much greater chance the Patriots will be celebrating a real Super Bowl win than Buffalo being .500 or better.

55. RE LEE says: Oct 3, 2016 10:24 AM

Poor haters… BB cheats to win.
    Rex admitted that he spied on the Patriots and his linebacker admitted it too. What other inside info did Rex get from the Patriots? I guess we’ll never find out because his not BB and the Bills is nit the Patriots. So Rex has to cheat to best a third round, third stringer QB with a taped finger on his throwing hand.
    BB is a taciturn but classy coach. Unlike uncle Rex.

56. RE LEE says: Oct 3, 2016 10:30 AM

BB cheats.
    Rex admitted that he had inside information on the Patriots. His linebacker admitted the same. Rex spied on the Patriots and we’ll never what other info he got because he’s not BB. It’s not a big deal because it’s not the Patriots. Rex cheated to beat a third stringer QB with a taped finger on his throwing hand.

57. LyinRogerMustGo says: Oct 3, 2016 10:48 AM

BB cheats.

—-
    Wouldn’t it be fun to see the Patriots announce today they have a video of a Bills employee sneaking around and stealing information that made Rex say what he did.

Actually it would be be kind of disappointing if it was the Bills. I’d hope it would be the Ravens or the Colts. Actually… stay tuned.
    🙂

58. crewchief15 says: Oct 3, 2016 11:04 AM

————–
    Brady is not the best in the league anymore, he’s now a great game manger. Still a really good QB on the down slide…deal with it. LOL watch them start losing now that he’s back, Pat fans will be jumping out windows LOL

59. RE LEE says: Oct 3, 2016 12:09 PM

Rex shut down the Patriots because he cheated. How’s that haters?

60. LyinRogerMustGo says: Oct 3, 2016 12:10 PM

Aaand my fan follows me here too.🙂

I guess I really do have a pet!
    🙂

61. bassicdave says: Oct 3, 2016 7:48 PM

cboys4life2014 says:
    Oct 2, 2016 11:02 PM

———–

That’s like saying today’s Republican Party is the Party of Lincoln. Different time, different place, no salary caps. You need to come to terms with the fact that your team isn’t the same as it was in the Staubach days, the Steelers aren’t the same as they were in the Bradshaw days, and the Giants are a clown car that backed into two superbowls.

62. ibillwt says: Oct 7, 2016 3:12 PM

I always he enjoy The Great Ones’ press conferences, but enjoy them more when we get the W. On to the next one, gonnabe bumps in the road in every season.