Who’s the team to beat in the AFC?

DENVER, CO - SEPTEMBER 08:  Quarterback Paxton Lynch #12 of the Denver Broncos runs out of the tunnel before taking on the Carolina Panthers at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on September 8, 2016 in Denver, Colorado.  (Photo by Dustin Bradford/Getty Images) Getty Images

It’ll be a big Monday on PFT Live, and we’ll start the week after the completion of Week Four with a series of poll questions based on the first 25 percent.

First up, which team is the team to beat in the AFC?

The choices appear below. Cast a ballot, defend your selection in the comments, and then complain about who we left out.

We’ll include Paul Allen of KFAN and the Vikings Radio Network for a Monday night preview, plus whatever else we can line up in the next seven hours.

Tune in to NBC Sports Radio at 6:00 a.m. ET, and then slide over to NBCSN at 7:00 a.m. ET for the final two hours.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos, Home, New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Who’s the team to beat in the AFC?”
  1. justsayin70 says: Oct 2, 2016 11:32 PM

Patriots? You mean the team that got shut out by the Bills today? I don’t care if they had their 3rd string QB – he did just fine against the Texans two weeks ago.

2. bannedfromchoirpractice says: Oct 2, 2016 11:32 PM

A couple more injuries and the Broncos will be done for the year.

3. Seprix says: Oct 2, 2016 11:39 PM

Seems to be a year of good ol’ defenses once again. I don’t see anyone beating the Broncos in the AFC, except maybe the Patriots with Brady. Maybe.

The Vikings look like the only legit team in the NFC as well, with the Eagles kind of close behind. I don’t want to crown the Eagles and say they’re great yet. Their body of work is impressive. I want to see them perform against the Vikings first.

4. cheapseater says: Oct 2, 2016 11:52 PM

Jaguars

5. yourmamalovespatriotsd1 says: Oct 2, 2016 11:52 PM

Big Bad Tom Is Back! Go Patriots!

6. edelmanfanclub says: Oct 3, 2016 12:10 AM

Its Denver, this is coming from a Patriots fan. Yes NE is great and yes Brady coming back is going the make this team even better but Denver won the SB this year and is 4-0. They are the team (esp defense) to beat. Steelers looked great tonight too.

7. bak2bak2bakhaters says: Oct 3, 2016 12:26 AM

We are the only team in the NFL 4$0 ,we can’t wait!!!!! To smash the patsies, we just do not like anything about um,team or fan’s 4$0 I am BC-WW

8. tjacks7 says: Oct 3, 2016 12:39 AM

Right now it’s the Broncos. The Steelers and the Patriots are the other two legitimate contenders in the AFC. One of those three will represent the AFC in the super bowl.

9. biznessdecision says: Oct 3, 2016 1:22 AM

Feels like the Steelers to me, and I say that as a Raiders fan with my team on that list.

10. kelsey59 says: Oct 3, 2016 1:42 AM

Pats are 3-13 now that overrated Brady is back.

11. milehighmagik7 says: Oct 3, 2016 2:00 AM

How can you not say Demver they are the defending champs and are undefeated. Unless of course your a fan from another AFC team whose only hopes of winning the division is if Denver does bad and thats pathetic. Or you might be a Pats fan and in that case let me remind you your coming to Denver this year. You know the 1 place and the 1 team who Tommy and Bill dont have success against

12. raiderheart says: Oct 3, 2016 2:26 AM

Aldon Smith & Mario Edwards will be showing up soon! Raiders might be making a run at this thing. It’s been a long time coming! The Silver & Black are back.

13. majormeatcurtains says: Oct 3, 2016 4:00 AM

yourmamalovespatriotsd1 says:
    Oct 2, 2016 11:52 PM
    Big Bad Tom Is Back! Go Patriots!

Ok son
    nobody ever called tom Big Bad Tom
    . EVER. Slow your roll boy. #boy #gaycation

14. chasezdad16 says: Oct 3, 2016 5:36 AM

I don’t know if they’re the team to beat, but I wouldn’t leave the bengals for dead just yet. they were a few bad calls away from winning in Pittsburgh, and had a lead on the broncos in the 4th before they gave up the lead. Count in they get two of the top 5 guys in their positions (eifert and Burfict) and you should see this team go on a run soon…

15. kennadrin says: Oct 3, 2016 7:00 AM

Vikes, Eagles? Did you ride the short bus to school.. retard

16. sullijo1 says: Oct 3, 2016 7:01 AM

What about the Chiefs? A lot of “experts” picked them to win the AFC West. I thought they looked real good against the Steelers last night – just got some bad breaks, bad calls by the refs, and bad weather. That game was closer than the score.

I know it has been since 1993 that the Chiefs have won a playoff game against a team with a winning record, but this could be their year!

Clark Hunt is really running a great franchise there and the rest of the league needs to sit up and pay attention!

Great job Clark!

17. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Oct 3, 2016 7:04 AM

Ravens? Raiders? Seriously?

18. cplwebberusmcblog says: Oct 3, 2016 8:16 AM

Really the team to beat is the Browns… I mean… Everybody’s doing it.

19. steelcurtainn says: Oct 3, 2016 9:23 AM

The Steelers!!!!!There’s no stopping the Steelers offense with Leveon Bell in the lineup.

20. lp0320 says: Oct 3, 2016 9:46 AM

Steelers are the team to beat . . . queue the Patriots’ crying fan base. . . .

Quietly we’ll do our thing and come January, we’ll be in the drivers seat.

21. jim699 says: Oct 3, 2016 10:00 AM

I don’t even know why the Ravens are listed if the Texans aren’t. Same 3-1 record. Same loss to a team listed in this poll. Not a Texans fan at all. I just don’t understand why the Ravens are listed.

I voted for the Pats by the way. I don’t believe in Siemian (85 Bears never repeated neither did any of those other defensive teams) and I don’t believe in Mike Tomlin as a coach.

22. 12coltsfan12 says: Oct 3, 2016 11:25 AM

The steelers?? seriously?

My colts are going to make a late season run😥

OK OK, we suck w/luck, there I said it😥

23. pftcancer says: Oct 3, 2016 11:45 AM

I voted for the Ravens because I bleed purple and black until I die. But if I was being unbiased, Denver. That defense is just phenomenal.

24. stillers213 says: Oct 3, 2016 12:21 PM

It’s the Pats until someone shows the same amount of consistency that that team has. Nobody gets more with less than BB. Denver is right behind, especially with that defense. The Steelers are unreliable but I think they have the highest ceiling.

25. gallopinggilmore says: Oct 3, 2016 12:27 PM

Tied between Broncos and Patriots. The other 3 could be one of any 12 teams at this point.

26. LyinRogerMustGo says: Oct 3, 2016 12:41 PM

Scoreboard don’t lie. Scoreboard tells it like it is. Scoreboard tells the only tale that matters.

There is only one team that has scoreboard right now. Therefore, as much as it pains me to say it as a Patriots fan the team to beat as of right now is the current Super Bowl champion Broncos, also 4-0 today.

With that said I love a challenge and so does Tom Brady. See you soon Denver.
    🙂

27. war27 says: Oct 3, 2016 1:02 PM

Denver.

But the team none of the top four wants to see come into their building at playoff time is Oakland.

They are the last team to beat Denver and it was in Denver. They will go into somewhere in the Wildcard round and knockout a division winner.

28. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Oct 3, 2016 1:05 PM

Denver has played cupcakes. They will be exposed soon. The team is the Patriots. They have proven it year in and year out.

29. ckradio1079 says: Oct 3, 2016 1:29 PM

The Broncos are definitely not the team to beat. They’ll be 6-10 at BEST this year. Book it…

… Said all the trolls every chance they got in the offseason.

30. tmsclade says: Oct 3, 2016 3:49 PM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:05 PM

______________________________________

They’ve proven year in and year out that they can’t beat the Broncos, especially in Denver. There’s only one team that Brady has a losing record against.

31. inozwetrust says: Oct 3, 2016 4:06 PM

As a Ravens fan it pains me to say that when the Steelers are hitting on all cylinders, they are tough to beat. The road to the Super Bowl will go through Steel town this year.

32. ampatsisahypocrite says: Oct 3, 2016 4:16 PM

chasezdad16 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 5:36 AM
    ————————————————

What game were you watching? The Bengals were getting dominated 24-3 in Pittsburgh late until the Steelers let down… the only call that remotely affected the outcome was the Boyd fumble. It’s amazing how homer glasses can blur your vision.

Funny how you credit the Bengals for leading Denver late but don’t do the same for the Steelers leading late in a game they WON. Tsk tsk.

33. dcpatfan says: Oct 3, 2016 5:05 PM

justsayin70 says:
    Oct 2, 2016 11:32 PM
    ————-
    U gotta love bills fans…..

34. htowntexan says: Oct 3, 2016 10:08 PM

I don’t get people voting for the Steelers. They got embarrassed 8 days ago. 30 point loss. At home. If they are the best of the afc, then the nfc is going to roll in the super bowl.

35. ampatsisahypocrite says: Oct 4, 2016 6:31 PM

htowntexan says:
    Oct 3, 2016 10:08 PM
    —————————————————

Never judge a season by one game. Especially this early. I remember New England getting thrashed a few years ago and then going on to the big show.

Guess what happened the last time the Steelers got beaten badly in Philly? They won the Super Bowl later that year.