Danny Amendola on pregame fight: Malcolm Mitchell did the right thing

Getty Images

A scuffle broke out on the field before the start of Sunday’s game between the Bills and the Patriots when members of the Bills secondary took issue with Patriots quarterback Jacoby Brissett and wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell jogging through their drills.

Safety Robert Blanton shoved Brissett and Mitchell retaliated, leading to a scrum that involved other Bills players and Patriots coaches before order was restored. Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola said the situation “pissed me off” and that he thought Mitchell acted appropriately.

“He did the right thing. I would have done the same thing,” Amendola said on “Ordway, Merloni & Fauria” on WEEI. “I wish I could have been there, too. … I’m not going to forget about that.”

The league may not share Amendola’s read on Mitchell’s actions and is reviewing “all aspects” of what happened before the game.

Amendola won’t need a particularly long memory as the two teams meet again on October 30 in Buffalo. There will likely be extra attention paid to the pregame period to try to avoid a repeat of Sunday’s dispute, although the bigger difference in that game may turn out to be the presence of quarterback Tom Brady in the Patriots lineup.

73 responses to “Danny Amendola on pregame fight: Malcolm Mitchell did the right thing

1. Danny Amendola wishing he could have been there?!! Hahaha! Hey, I haven’t wrestled in the Big Ten for 20 years but that’s one NFL guy I am positive I can still destroy.

That pre-game scrum was the biggest fight the Patriots put up all day!

2. They shouldn’t have been jogging through the Jets drills, period. Very disrespectful, and being brutally obvious about it. I think that might have had something to do with the final score.

3. devindenv says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:44 PM
    Why didn’t Danny boy during something in the 60 minutes that followed said scrum????
    —————————

4. They shouldn’t have been on the Bills’ side of the field in the first place.

I still remember the famous “I’m Jimmy!” story involving Bruce Irvin and Jimmy Graham during the Saints/Seahawks divisional playoff game in 2013. It’s still funny, even now when Jimmy is a Seahawk. Brisket is lucky he didn’t get drop-kicked.

5. My Patriots started the trouble by running through the bills during pre game warm ups, i would like to apologize to the bills and their fans for our non ethical behavior once again.
    Congrats on the win bills fans, can’t believe we were so bad especially at home.

6. Part left out here is that Eric Wood and Blanton both said the Pats wouldn’t get off the field and were still running punt drills while the Bills were out there to do their warm up. I’d assume Brisket Boy and Mitchell were just keeping to themselves that whole time too.

7. The bills will be spanked in epic fashion (again) in the second meeting.

but, still, they did win the offseason and now are .500 so this has been an awesome year for bills fans. of course we all know the Pats have a different standard for excellence 😥

8. You mean besides the fact an offensive skill player’s focus should be playing and not fighting?

———–

Yeah, that’s the reason he didn’t do anything. We’ll go with that if it makes everyone feel better.

9. “They shouldn’t have been jogging through the Jets drills, period.”

Ummm, they didn’t because the Jets were busy losing to the Seahawks…once again highlighting how people lose all rational thought or semblance of intelligence when dealing with the best franchise of the last 20 years. Who needs science or facts when you can just lash out with blind hatred?!? 😛 ❤

10. Interesting that what was left out of the article was the fact that Danny told the mid day guys that was the first he heard of the scuffle. He had no idea what had transpired before the game until they told him.
    Good news NE is in first place, and the GOAT is back!! Nickovich too.

11. .
    This pregame nonsense shows up several times a season and is tiresome. Unfortunately, the league will eventually have to issue mandates on where warm-ups can take place. It’s collegiate bs that has no place in the pro game.

12. clashpoint says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:48 PM
    They shouldn’t have been jogging through the Jets drills, period.
    +++++++++++++

The Jets drills? They were jogging through the Jets pregame drills too? And still made it to Foxboro in time to jog through the Bills pregame drills? Now that’s impressive.

13. Look, Brisset and Mitchell decided to play mind games by screwing around with the Bills while their players were doing warmup drills. It, according to the Bills DBs, happened multiple times, and they gave a shove to Brisset to go away.

I don’t blame them for doing that.

I don’t blame Mitchell for retaliating to protect his QB.

But if anything, it fired that defense up. I don’t care whose fault it winds up being, but the Pats seemed to have shown more life in that scrum that they did on the field.

14. Good for the Bills for standing up for themselves. Guys were running through their drills and did it more than once. First time they were told to stop running through their drills, second time they got shoved. Both the Pats were rookies and got the “Welcome to the NFL Rook” treatment.

Moving on.

15. Just a reminder that there’s a rematch at the end of the month.

But in the meantime, please, let’s go back to pretending that no one jogs down their own sideline during warmups.

16. Also, as a note, I’m annoyed to hear from so many Pats* fans that for three weeks BB was a genius who could win with anyone.

Now, after a truly awful performance, the tune is “I hope you feel good about beating up on the third string quarterback, Buffalo lol”.

17. I bet Bill had something to say to these two idiots. Maybe they thought after that great start they have had without Tommy they can do what they like and took their eye of the ball.

18. The way the NFL is today. 2 game suspension because he hit another man not a woman…which would garner a don’t do that again as a punishment.

19. Unfortunately, the league will eventually have to issue mandates on where warm-ups can take place

The League already did…several years ago when Bengals and Steelers couldn’t control themselves in pre-game warm-ups. That’s what this is about…the Pats ran through the Bills when they should never have been on that side of the field.

20. Bills win their super bowl in October. Patriots will win theirs in February. Ryan is a bush league tool, who will be fired at the end of the season. That stupid fat slob will never see another head coaching job again.

21. Every time the Bills catch a win against the Pats their fans talk so much trash… then their team finishes with another losing record and the Patriots go to their umpteenth AFC Championship Game…. in a row.

Keep talking Bills fans, you already know how this ends.

22. whitewalkerinphilly says:
    Oct 3, 2016 2:22 PM

—-

He is a genius who could win with anyone – he went 3-1!

Without Brady, Vollmer, Gronk, Ninkovich, Dion Lewis…even Hightower missed 2 games.

The Bills only scored 16 points. With Brady, the Pats win that game 21 – 16…maybe more. Brissett just wasn’t moving the ball effectively but he’s probably gonna need surgery on his thumb.

Even Rex tapped the brakes and said Brady wasn’t out there.

23. They were running along the sideline and the Bills came over looking for a fight.

The Bills players also shoved some coaches pretty hard who were just trying to break things up.

If the situation was reversed, you’d all be talking about the Pats getting fined and suspended.

3 – 1 and hell is coming.

24. eroschmidt says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:42 PM

That pre-game scrum was the biggest fight the Patriots put up all day!

Ok, settle down there old fella…don’t get your Depends in a bunch!

25. Good way to end up getting shut out. I remember when Warren Sapp danced through the Steelers drills when the Bucs were heavily favored in TB. The Steelers creamed him then went on to cream the Bucs in the game.

26. clashpoint says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:48 PM
    They shouldn’t have been jogging through the Jets drills, period.

No wonder why the Pats couldn’t score all day , they’re QB was in Seattle at the time…

27. dimi1919 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:49 PM
    Easy to act like a tough guy the day after in a studio.

Judging by all the Bills fans comments, it’s even easier to do it anonymously on the internet

28. dimi1919 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:49 PM
    Easy to act like a tough guy the day after in a studio.

————–

Dude I’m not a Bills fan. Could care less about the bills. But one thing is certain, if someone shoved a member of my family you can bet your life I’m getting in there.

29. whitewalkerinphilly says:
    Oct 3, 2016 2:22 PM

——————-

Most of that nonsense came from Patriot hater trolls.

Regardless of that, Belichick is a great coach.

30. Give Rex and Bills credit, they won their superbowl. Rex basically said, “Brady isnt there so I am not worried in the slightest bit.” Then proceeded to that by daring Brissett to beat him with his arm and he could not do it. Hence the 0 points and the 16-0 loss. I cant wait for the rematch in Buffalo, Rex knows who will be starting that game at QB as well I presume.

31. eroschmidt says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:42 PM

That pre-game scrum was the biggest fight the Patriots put up all day!

Ok, settle down there old fella…don’t get your Depends in a bunch!

I’m in my early 40’s. Not in Depends yet.

32. Is it me or does Rex Ryan look like he should be hanging under the EL train in phillys bad lands !

33. Bennett said he wished he was there too, lemme guess he is a wannabe tough guy too lol the bills suck, rex ryan sucks… Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now wait until we play them again n then but when it comes to the playoffs they will be incognito… lol and we will be in the AFC Championship like always while the bills are watchin us on TV.

34. Randy….. Roxbury would be a nice step up from being in Buffalo. Congrats to your Bills for winning the regular season Superbowl yesterday against an injured, 3r d string rookie QB. That win makes up for the 4 straight real SB losses…

35. followme2boston says:
    Oct 3, 2016 2:18 PM

Moving on.

—-

They were running along the sidelines – barely even on the field. You couldn’t say they “ran through the drills” by any stretch of the imagination.

The Bills player came way, way over to instigate a confrontation. They also shoved some coaches pretty hard in the back.

But whatever….on October 30th winter comes to Buffalo and it’s gonna be a cold one.

36. dimi1919 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 3:06 PM
    dimi1919 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:49 PM
    Easy to act like a tough guy the day after in a studio.

————–

—-

Happened an hour before the game – Amendola may not have even been on the field or anywhere near by.

They play again at the end of the month. They won’t forget.

37. No matter how annoyed you get with someone, it is not okay to put your hands on them. Blanton needs to learn to use his words.

38. barneyfifeactionfigure says:
    Oct 3, 2016 4:00 PM

——-

That’s great!

39. Wow, so many whiners. I had a clean post get pulled.

The Bills were missing: Pro Bowl NT, #1 WR, 1st and 2nd round draft picks, RT.
    Playing injured: Starting LT, TE

Bill Belicheck was a genius for pulling together a team for a 3-0? Then Ryan is just as much, if not more, for beating a team like that. (Sticking with that logic)

The Bills easily won time of possession, and got a consistent offense rolling against a top 5 defense. Brady had nothing to do with that. The defense blanked the Pats offense that had destroyed the Texans the week before. Blount was shut down.

Somehow, the Pats are considered Schrodinger’s team: They are a brilliant when they are winning, but their losses are because they somehow beat themselves with nothing to do with the quality of their opponents, but yet are still brilliant.

40. manureman says:
    Oct 3, 2016 4:32 PM
    yet another classless act by a classless organization. A fish rots from the head down.
    —–

A Pats fan calling another organization classless.

Apparently irony has no bounds.

41. “The Bills were missing: Pro Bowl NT, #1 WR, 1st and 2nd round draft picks, RT”

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

And all five of them combined wouldn’t have 1/10 the impact Brady would.

Nice try.

Just enjoy the win while you can. When the season ends, the Pats will be entering the playoffs as AFC East division champs, and the Bills will be on the outside looking in. As always.

42. eroschmidt says:
    Oct 3, 2016 3:39 PM
    eroschmidt says:
    Oct 3, 2016 1:42 PM

That pre-game scrum was the biggest fight the Patriots put up all day!

Ok, settle down there old fella…don’t get your Depends in a bunch!

I’m in my early 40’s. Not in Depends yet.

Amendola isn’t in the unlimited weight class there tough guy.

43. Excuses, denial, and tears.

It was Rogers fault.
    We didn’t have all our players.
    The refs didn’t call everything, our way, this time.
    It was the tablets fault. (or was Bill due for an upgrade?)
    We’ll get them next time!

44. They shouldn’t have been on the Bills’ side of the field in the first place.
    —————————-

Brissett and Mitchell were jogging along the sideline on the Patriots side of the field. They weren’t going through the middle of a drill. They weren’t on the the Bills side of the field. In the videos, all of the Bills players come running over the Patriots side of the field.

I wonder if Blanton pulled any of this petty, bush league stuff when he was with the Vikings or if he just bought into it after he joined the Bills.

45. Let’s go Buffalo! Can’t wait until you guys have to visit our beautiful city on the 30th!

Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills!

46. Your opinion is noted dimi. We shall see. My 2nd bet is you become invisible after the game. That was the worst gm the Pats have played in yrs, worse than KC. Then RRyan mocked Belichick. Remember 2007?

I did drive to Buffalo one time . It was fun, but when I got to Albany and saw the sign, Buffalo 300 miles, after already driving 200, I was a little rattled.

Bills played a great game and deserved to win. Kudos. They still miss the playoffs and Ryan gets fired. Trust me, that’s good. They have way more talent than what’s showing up on the field most weeks.

47. patsrule59 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 5:05 PM
    “The Bills were missing: Pro Bowl NT, #1 WR, 1st and 2nd round draft picks, RT”

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

And all five of them combined wouldn’t have 1/10 the impact Brady would.

Nice try.

—-

Fair enough. In that case, they are a bad enough team with out him that they couldn’t overcome. That’s fine, and I wish we could just say that.

But I keep hearing “oh, the Patriots didn’t have anyone, they just beat themselves” right after “Belicheck can win with anyone” and I’m tired of the hypocracy. You can’t get it both ways.

The game would have been a lot closer, and likely would have gone the other way if Brady was playing, but what’s aggravating is that you find it possible to admit that, even with massive roster losses of their own, Rex got his team ready to plan and dominated on the road against a 3-0 team. All we’re asking for is a little credit. A little.

48. So Rex Ryan boasts about spying and then has his players try to start a fight with the Patriots solitary semi-healthy QB?

Stay classy Buffalo

Can you imagine if Belichick had boasted about having a spy and had his players start a fight?

Goodell would be all over that with an instant investigation

Good that they so readily offer proof of how fixed the NFL is these days

49. tedmurph says:
    Oct 3, 2016 5:52 PM

———-

Dude I’m not from buffalo. Could care less about the bills or the city of buffalo. Not a fan of the bills either. I’m not disputing the fact that the pats are an awesome team. They are. But anyone would be stupid not to take a team plus the 27 at home. This is NFL not college.

50. This reaks of Ryan fuel. The stuff that FAT Ryans blab about to get their team fired up. Unfortunately for the Bills fans and the Ryans is it takes more than that kind of crap to go far. I would bet a large sum that this is the Buffalo high point and the N.E. low point of the year. Ryan boys are not even close to Buddy. Who did not succeed either BTW.

51. What the hell is up with New England fans,you loose 1
    game and it is everybody else fault.You are really good
    at talking crap until u get beat once. You people better hope Brady dont get hurt or half the population of Boston
    will be commiting suicide .

52. Time of posession tells the story of the game. 13 minutes or almost a quarter more of offense for the Bills yet they only had 16 more points to show for that TOP. The Bills WON that game but not the AFCE.

53. 12coltsfan12 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 2:00 PM

The bills will be spanked in epic fashion (again) in the second meeting.

__________________________________
    You should know all about spanked. Your Colts are 1-3.

54. Lets get this straight. Everyone… and I mean everyone, in the media said the Pats would win. Trey Wingo on ESPN shouted it! The kiddies on GMF on NFLNetwork totally ripped the Bills and Rex. That was last week.
    Now on Monday everyone knows the Bills should have won because of a 3rd string rookie QB. A bunch of geniuses. Calling Captain Hindsight!

BTW I watched those goofs on Monday to see their apology. Fat chance of that. ESPN only talked about NE. That little girl Kay on GMF actually said “The real story is Tommy is Back!” totally ignoring the offensive garbage that came out 0f her mouth the week before.
    The difficulty they had in ignoring the Bills and their ignorant comments the week before was hilarious.

55. ocgunslinger says:
    Oct 4, 2016 10:00 AM

============================

You are right, time of possession tells the story, of hoe the pats “awesome defense” couldn’t get the ball back. Buffalo had drives of 12, 10, 12, 8, 8, 10, plays.

Only 16 points? How many points does it take to beat a team that scores ZERO?

Excuses, denial, and tears.

56. Report comment
    RandyinRoxbury says:
    Oct 3, 2016 3:03 PM
    why were my fellow Pats fans booing non stop and running for the exits early yesterday?
    Talk about band wagoners.
    _________________________________________

Hey “RandyinRoxbury” I see what you did there. Wow are you Buffalo guys smart. I gotta try that. It would probably work on you geniuses who think Rex is going to lead you to the promise land. Losing 4 straight superbowls will do that to you I guess.