Drew Brees emotional about return to San Diego

SAN DIEGO, CA - OCTOBER 02:  Drew Brees #9 of the New Orleans Saints celebrates a 35-34 come from behind victory over the San Diego Chargers with fans at Qualcomm Stadium on October 2, 2016 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Saints pulled out an improbable 35-34 victory on Sunday by coming back from 13 points down in the fourth quarter for their first win of the season.

An emotional response to such a comeback is to be expected, but it was an emotional day for Saints quarterback Drew Brees long before the rally was underway. Sunday marked Brees’ first game in San Diego since 2005, when he hurt his shoulder in his final game with the Chargers and wondered if his career might be over.

It wasn’t, of course, and Brees wound up writing many more chapters with the Saints over the last 11 years.

“I’m grateful for a lot of things in my life,” Brees said to his teammates before the game, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “But I’m most grateful to be a part of this! Because right here, right here on this spot 11 years ago, I didn’t know if I was going to be able to play football again. I thought my dream was getting ripped away from me. But I got another chance. To play for the New Orleans Saints. And to be a part of this team! I don’t take that granted. Not once! Embrace this opportunity, men. Let’s show these boys about the New Orleans Saints.”

Safety Kenny Vaccaro said he “could see tears starting to swell in [Brees’] eyes” while he was speaking to the team and tackle Zack Strief said he’s “really glad [Brees is] walking out of here with a smile on his face” after the game.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
13 Responses to “Drew Brees emotional about return to San Diego”
  1. QB Film Room says: Oct 3, 2016 10:35 AM

Brees is the definition of Taking advantage of Opportunities and working your butt off.

2. greenwhodat26 says: Oct 3, 2016 10:52 AM

There may be other QBs as good, but not one of them is better than Drew Brees.

3. xenova1 says: Oct 3, 2016 10:57 AM

Surprisingly, he has the defense to thank for recovering the two late game fumbles. Otherwise, the defense was giving them the game away and thankfully the Chargers’ were reckless with holding on to the ball. Brees final stats were below his average. He still doesn’t look confident with his crew of receivers and the running game was stifled again.

4. sb44champs says: Oct 3, 2016 11:04 AM

Brees came back from a horrific 360 degree rotator cuff injury to become a Top 5 QB of all time!

5. jag1959 says: Oct 3, 2016 11:36 AM

Props to Drew Brees, one of the best of the salary cap era.
    A Giants fan

6. jgedgar70 says: Oct 3, 2016 11:40 AM

xenova1 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 10:57 AM

_____
    The defense had very little to do with the Benjamin fumble. Even the announcers were stunned at Benjamin losing the ball without being touched. I’m just glad the Saints D was its usual, accommodating self since I started Rivers on my fantasy team instead of Big Ben.

7. irishgary says: Oct 3, 2016 11:58 AM

@greenwhodat26

You must have missed yesterdays game. I saw more bounce passes yesterday from Brees than I do in a normal basketball game.

8. 6250claimer says: Oct 3, 2016 12:11 PM

My nephew set up the visitors’ locker room Saturday at Qualcomm, and the team showed up for a walk-through while he was there. He got Brees to pose for a picture with him and his grandson. It’s a great shot, with Brees sporting a big smile and looking very sincere and like he was happy to pose for the shot. Now I know why he looked so happy – San Diego is a special place for him. Pure class.

9. schmitty2 says: Oct 3, 2016 12:21 PM

jgedgar70 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 11:40 AM

xenova1 says:
    Oct 3, 2016 10:57 AM

_____

I hope that’s sarcasm.Either that or you don’t know fantasy football very well. Rivers through for 321 yards and 2 tds. Ben had 300 yards and 5 tds. Am I missing something here?

10. sdcharger123 says: Oct 3, 2016 1:39 PM

Next four games for the Chargers.

@Oakland
    Denver
    @Atlanta
    @Denver

I see 1-7 as a very likely thing for this team. Ugh. And the sad thing is, McCoy will probably survive it cause reasons.

11. twoteamsforlosangeles says: Oct 3, 2016 2:53 PM

Glad Drew was able to come out with a win. Given that the Saints won’t play in San Diego for another eight years, this was most likely his final football game to be played on that field.

12. porkchopmoon says: Oct 3, 2016 7:32 PM

I thought the Saints defense was, and is, bad. San Diego’s is really bad. Leading in 4th quarter in all games and lose 3 of them? Now that’s bad defense.

13. tahnoonzee says: Oct 3, 2016 8:10 PM

Chargers go on a big winning streak.