Hit that resulted in Cam Newton’s concussion was probably avoidable

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (1) is hit by Atlanta Falcons outside linebacker Deion Jones (45) during a two-point conversion during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Rainier Ehrhardt) AP

Even if Cam Newton didn’t see Falcons linebacker Deion Jones coming, we’ve seen plays like this out of the Panthers quarterback before.

The hit resulted in a concussion yesterday, which throws the MVP’s status for this week’s game against the Buccaneers into question. But his backup quarterback acknowledged that perhaps the hit could have been avoided if Newton had taken perhaps a more urgent approach to the goal line.

“I think we all saw it,” Anderson said, via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review. “Maybe he could have avoided it, but I don’t think he saw the guy, so that’s neither here nor there.”

It was similar to a hit he took last year in New Orleans when linebacker Michael Mauti drilled Newton in the skull as he coasted into the end zone.

“I deserved to get hit like that, taking that foot off the gas,” Newton said after that game. “I was so shocked. The guy just came out of nowhere it felt like. But it won’t happen again, any time I get an opportunity to score.

“There was probably a lot of people that wanted to see that happen. I’m going to talk to my father tonight, and he’s probably going to tell me what I already expect: I deserved it.”

While that’s debatable, especially after the parade of hits to the head he took in Denver (though this one wasn’t illegal), Newton absolutely needs to start taking better care of himself in such situations. And perhaps coach Ron Rivera, who has bristled about questions regarding the league’s concussion protocol and whether it was followed after the opener, should lighten up.

“I don’t know the status,” Rivera said during his postgame press conference, before it was announced to the media Newton had a concussion. “I only know they took him in to examine him. I purposefully didn’t ask because I didn’t want to have to answer the questions.”

Psst, Ron, buddy, there are more questions coming in the coming days. Specifically, whether your star quarterback is going to be able to play this week, and whether he knows how to protect himself.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20 Responses to “Hit that resulted in Cam Newton’s concussion was probably avoidable”
  1. joetoronto says: Oct 3, 2016 7:26 AM

He got nonchalant and paid the price physically this time. Last time he got nonchalant, they lost the Super Bowl.

2. fanboyarmy says: Oct 3, 2016 7:30 AM

Camera is a baby.

3. frozenburritobuttsecks says: Oct 3, 2016 7:42 AM

Or, i guess, Cam could stop playing the game if he doesn’t want to get hit.

The author blames the refs, his coach, the NFL, his teammates, everyone but Cam for putting hinself in a position to get rocked

4. realqc says: Oct 3, 2016 7:45 AM

As a die hard Panthers fan, I have felt just as disinterested as the Players have looked on the field. Super Bowl hangover or locker room chemistry problems? Something has deflated this team.
    #newdeflategate

5. saint9904 says: Oct 3, 2016 8:21 AM

Hey Cam….maybe wait until you are in the endzone to start planning those celebrations! Never want to see anyone get injured but it is starting to become more and more obvious Cam puts himself in a position to take hits like this. Doesn’t matter how big and strong he is if he keeps getting blown up like this he will not make it much longer.

6. rootpain says: Oct 3, 2016 8:46 AM

Hate it when any player is injured. In Cam’s case it doesn’t come as a surprise because of his style of play. Hopefully he learns from this and comes back healthy and ready to play real soon. He still has lots of years ahead of him as an exciting elite quarterback.

7. mysterytonite says: Oct 3, 2016 9:05 AM

he did the same thing last year vs the saints, got popped and probably got a concussion in that case as well that probably went unreported. It’s always been more important for cam to show up his opponent and make
    It look easy so kids at home can emulate his arrogance. Well, it looks like it’s working out for
    Him.

8. kamthechancellor says: Oct 3, 2016 10:05 AM

Love that he got popped as he was getting ready to showboat! If it wasn’t for his constant dabbing, first down celebrations, and Superman poses, I’d actually like this guy’s game on the field.

9. toddc612 says: Oct 3, 2016 10:46 AM

Showboat Cam got clocked while attempting a pre-mature celebration? How surprising. I just didn’t see this coming after his 5 minutes of dancing in the endzone last week against the Vikings.

I think Panther’s assumption that they’ll be in the playoffs in pre-mature..

10. doubleogator says: Oct 3, 2016 11:05 AM

Maybe he will stop thinking he’s superman now…

11. kamthechancellor says: Oct 3, 2016 11:15 AM

That picture is priceless, btw. I might use it for my background on my phone for awhile.

12. domain7722 says: Oct 3, 2016 12:05 PM

Cam Newton is one of the greatest qb’s ever.. the world would be in mourning if favre, peyton manning, di caprio, got a shot like Cam gets…

13. junkmtb says: Oct 3, 2016 12:08 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeea that’s what showboating will do for ya! You’ll learn one day!

14. domain7722 says: Oct 3, 2016 12:17 PM

Cam Newton is a MAN, stands up like a man, and leads his franchise like a man.

15. atepper001 says: Oct 3, 2016 12:25 PM

totally agree w/ what cam said. its the same in pop warner as it is through the NFL… play 100% until the whistle. and the fact that he was showboating, making it look how easy the game is for him… totally deserved it

16. gohawks7 says: Oct 3, 2016 1:09 PM

He’d rather look good and lose than look bad and win…

Not diving for a loose ball at a critical point in the Super Bowl, now twice getting his bell rung by easing up and “posing” for the camera before the play is finished, and having a very average passer rating when under pressure….I’d say his ability to make a decision under pressure might be a problem.

17. ocgunslinger says: Oct 3, 2016 6:21 PM

Coulda, woulda, shoulda been a burning star not a faded star.

18. jfkst6 says: Oct 3, 2016 11:03 PM

At least he admitted it was his own fault. No idea why he slowed down like that and it was 100% avoidable.

19. domain7722 says: Oct 4, 2016 11:38 AM

yes, maybe, if going by some of these rather pathetic comments, from what must be a dozen perhaps non-athletes, THEN can we understand the possible envying awe that would go behind a middle-aged ref, perhaps roly-polyish, or uncomprehending of time, to not throw the flags on Cams hits! these hits are illegal! dangerous! and have the exteme potential of being exploited by a defense or defensive coordinator, strategy, etc. to knock him out of the game. this is referee and league malfeasance..

20. pftmaniac says: Oct 5, 2016 7:54 PM

That was one of the best moments of my entire life. Pride comes before the fall and Karma never forgets.