John Fox refuses to hand job back to Jay Cutler when healthy

Chicago Bears quarterback Brian Hoyer (2) and Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford (9) greet each other after an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016, in Chicago. The Bears won 17-14. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast) AP

Bears coach John Fox is still describing Jay Cutler’s thumb injury as “day to day.”

But after the day Brian Hoyer just had, it doesn’t sound like the veteran coach is inclined to make a change at quarterback.

“Anybody’s that performing well, I don’t think we’re going to be likely to change,” Fox told reporters Monday.

That’s an eye-opener for a number of reasons, not the least of which is Fox usually goes out of his way to avoid saying anything interesting ever.

Hoyer is coming off an impressive game and the Bears’ first win of the year, a 17-14 win over the Lions. The veteran backup was 28-of-36 for 302 yards and two touchdowns, the kind of efficient performance they needed from any quarterback.

Given his career, it’s also not out of the realm of possibility that Hoyer backslides before Cutler’s well, which makes it a bit of a moot point. But given the chance to endorse the injured incumbent, Fox did not.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “John Fox refuses to hand job back to Jay Cutler when healthy”
  1. tommytd says: Oct 3, 2016 3:42 PM

JAY CUTLER…COACH KILLER!

2. edelmanfanclub says: Oct 3, 2016 3:43 PM

If Hoyer was a rookie, Cutler would get it handed back to him the second could step on the field. For some reason, Fox thinks you need a certain amount of time in the league before you can be effective regardless of actual results. Hoyer has that time so now Cutler has to earn his job back. Personally, I dont think Cutler (regardless of contract) deserves to be the de facto starting QB. He’s proved so many times he has the tools but not the drive. Hoyer should start, Cutler should be a stop gap somewhere else next year, so have to earn his job back this year.

3. Jeremy Karp says: Oct 3, 2016 3:45 PM

I feel like the title could’ve been phrased better…

4. doug1grohlin says: Oct 3, 2016 3:46 PM

I’m glad they got the win, but any quarterback could have done that against that pass rush.

5. granadafan says: Oct 3, 2016 3:50 PM

This is rather depressing when your two QB options are Bobby Hoyer and an aging Cutler.

6. putinstolemyring says: Oct 3, 2016 3:51 PM

Well coach, would you hand job Cutler when he’s NOT healthy?

7. maumontav5 says: Oct 3, 2016 3:51 PM

Why would any team want Disinterested Jay as their QB? Seriously, that guy has every bad quality in the book. He’s a year away from being a back up or playing out tanking years for teams like the Browns. I’d say Bears but they don’t even want him anymore.

8. tonebones says: Oct 3, 2016 3:51 PM

Fox didn’t sign Cutler. Why should he willingly get fired because of him? His job is to at least try to win football games. I don’t know if Hoyer is the answer, but everyone knows that Cutler isn’t the answer.

9. jakethesnake123 says: Oct 3, 2016 3:51 PM

Says a lot about Cutler does it not.

10. joetoronto says: Oct 3, 2016 3:55 PM

I’ve never been a fan of John Fox but power to him, Cutler is a loser that has to go.

11. eazeback says: Oct 3, 2016 3:58 PM

the same should be said about dak and romo
    but alas its not gonna be the case

12. wyboemail says: Oct 3, 2016 3:58 PM

I think Jay has gotten a bad rap all along while in Chicago. I do think it is time the team moves on from him and starts fresh with the QB of the future. Hopefully Conner Shaw can be that guy. Nothing else out there that I can see would be a championship caliber QB. Wonder if Arizona is desperate enough to make a trade. I would take a 4th or 5th rounder for Jay.

13. bombacim says: Oct 3, 2016 4:03 PM

“Impressive game”??? Why do you play into the football stupid? He played against the Lions and Cowboys. He scored 17 points against each. 17 points isn’t impressive. It is mediocre. And against these teams after putting up 300 yards, they should have had more than 2 tds. Put Hoyer up against the Texans defense and let’s see what he does and stop trying to make stories that are not there.

14. bassplucker says: Oct 3, 2016 4:04 PM

I literally could not care less who plays the rest of the season as the Bears QB because I’m certain they are moving on from Cutler after this year regardless and this year is about getting ready for next more than anything else.

That being said, yesterday was the first time all season that I could watch the Bears offense and not lose my lunch. I’m not qualified to say how much of that was attributable to the QB position but in any event I hope Cutler is using his downtime to watch film of yesterday’s game and see how the offense is supposed to be run because it didn’t look anywhere close to that good with him at the controls.

15. billjoseph2014 says: Oct 3, 2016 4:06 PM

wybomail . . . . . Bad rap? Are we talking about the same pouty, “take my ball and go home,” I don’t want to play anymore Cutler????? This guy has had every opportunity handed to him on a silver platter and, while he certainly has the talent, he has no drive and no leadership qualities. I think the only reason Cutler is still in Chicago is because it is a condition of employment for the General manager and the Coach.

16. stoneydog1000 says: Oct 3, 2016 4:06 PM

Jeremy Karp, thanks, now I can’t stop laughing. But, Hoyer had a good year with Houston and why not stick with him.

17. bassplucker says: Oct 3, 2016 4:16 PM

I can only hope Fox applies the same criteria to Jordan Howard. Dude was straight ballin yesterday and the OL blocks their tails off for him. If #24 is healthy and not getting at least 3 out of every 4 RB touches from here on out then there are some very bad decisions being made.

18. sludgefactory24hrs says: Oct 3, 2016 4:17 PM

Maumontav5
    I agree…. That guy looks uninterested.. Never seen him with fire…never seen him get emotional .,, It’s just the same blank stare.

19. atthemurph says: Oct 3, 2016 4:18 PM

This Packers fan isn’t happy…..

20. ReligionIsForIdiots says: Oct 3, 2016 4:22 PM

It was against the Lions….

21. patsfan4lifesbchamps says: Oct 3, 2016 4:23 PM

The same should be said about Garoppolo and Brady. The Patriots system is so good, a high school QB can have success.

22. quarterback911 says: Oct 3, 2016 4:27 PM

I am a Jay Cutler fan, but I think Fox is better off sticking with Hoyer. Fox does well with mediocre/decent arm quarterbacks who won’t lose the game for you.
    I feel like Cutler would be a good fit for some coach who has explosive plays. Cutler has a cannon of an arm and it pains to see him held back by his coaches. Clearly he doesn’t look like he’s enjoying it at all – he always look frustrated and spiritless.

23. kh221 says: Oct 3, 2016 4:29 PM

Anyone else read John Fox refuses hand job?

24. teal379 says: Oct 3, 2016 4:33 PM

He’s been that way since he forced his way out of Denver – doesn’t matter the coach.

If everyone you meet is a jerk – most likely you’re the jerk.

At this point – coach isn’t the problem, Cutler is.

25. sportscommentsblog says: Oct 3, 2016 4:39 PM

The Lions sure have a knack for developing quarterbacks…see Matt Flynn

26. MD says: Oct 3, 2016 4:39 PM

Anytime you think about how to handle your QB situation, ask yourself this simple question; WWED? What would Elway do?

27. 12444uggg says: Oct 3, 2016 4:40 PM

Hand job for Cutler? Nah, he hasn’t earned it

28. tindeaux says: Oct 3, 2016 4:43 PM

I almost read “John Fox refuses to hand job Jay Cutler when healthy”

29. mmack66 says: Oct 3, 2016 4:50 PM

patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Oct 3, 2016 4:23 PM

—————————-

Garoppolo is hurt, and Brady is healthy, so are you saying that Brady should keep playing after Garoppolo gets healthy?

As usual, you make no sense, Jets fan 4 life 1 sb win b 4 moon walk.

30. stealthjunk says: Oct 3, 2016 4:53 PM

I’ve always thought the Josh McDaniels era was a complete disaster in Denver, but I do have to give him credit for getting rid of Jay Cutler and avoiding the vicious cycle of mediocrity and “next year is the year!” dreams that the Bears have been stuck in.

With that said, Hoyer has “led” the offense to a whopping 17 points in the last two games against subpar defenses and scored no points in his lone quarter of work against the Eagles. Both QBs seem about equal, or at least they’re being held back by poor coaching. Neither possibility is encouraging.

31. theogeisel says: Oct 3, 2016 5:05 PM

I’ve never understood people’s desire to blame Cutler’s lack of success on his attitude. Doesn’t it seem more likely that he just isn’t capable of putting it all together (mentally and physically)? I think we all know that if Cutler was successful, he would be lauded for his “cool and calm” demeanor. It seems to me that Jay is just a mediocre quarterback like thousands of others who have made it to the NFL before him. And that has very little to do with his attitude.

32. jdubs82 says: Oct 3, 2016 5:06 PM

It’s the exact same thing he’s said – now 1,000 times about every player on the team. This is a non story at this point.

33. xargscutgrep says: Oct 3, 2016 5:10 PM

We really are in the post-truth era. If you repeat something long enough, it just becomes true.

Still, I can’t accept Fox’s truth. Fox changed 2 positions on the offensive line 6 days before the season started. Now that the offensive line is finally starting to gel, and we finally replace Langford with Howard, he wants to pin the 3 previous losses (1.5 of which had Hoyer’s noodle-armed signature) on Cutler? Cutler would have scored more than 17 point last night, you fossil.

34. xargscutgrep says: Oct 3, 2016 5:17 PM

Of course, if starting Hoyer gets us Myles Garrett, it’s all good.

35. darkneptune73 says: Oct 3, 2016 5:24 PM

Good decision. Quitler deserves to be benched.

36. bassplucker says: Oct 3, 2016 5:33 PM

It’s not so much that Hoyer threw for 300 and 2 TDs. It’s that he threw for 300 and 2 TDs AND did not turn the ball over a single time (nor did anyone else on the offense), AND they won time of possession handily due to converting 3rd downs.

The passing yards and TDs come pretty easy to Cutler (especially when they’re playing from behind). It’s that other stuff that’s playing in Fox’s mind at this point, I guarantee.

37. Pistol Pete says: Oct 3, 2016 6:50 PM

All you Cutler-haters need a reality check.Do you think competent quarterbacks grow on trees?I guarantee if the Bears released Cutler he have offers from at least 5 teams,with better offenses and better coaching in no time.Who do you replace him with?Hoyer has started for 4 different teams in the last 4 years for a reason.If he was that good he’d be starting for somebody by choice,not because of injury.

38. MichaelEdits says: Oct 3, 2016 7:33 PM

Oh my God, John Fox finally grew a pair. If he’d benched Delhomme he might still be in Carolina, so I’m glad he didn’t bench Delhomme. But still. I wouldn’t play Cutler either. I don’t care what his salary is. Good call, Coach Fox!

39. MichaelEdits says: Oct 3, 2016 7:34 PM

I don’t recall ever seeing a headline with “hand job” in it.

40. thefoss1957 says: Oct 4, 2016 12:18 AM

Ha Ha…Back when Orton was dumped for Cutler, many short sighted Bear fans were glad, because they didn’t want a mere “game manager” QB, they wanted someone to go out and supplant Sid Luckman from the Bear record book, while a minority voice, like mine, argued that, for the Bears, a game manager, emphasis on ball control, with a solid Defense, you know, traditional “Bear Football”, would better in the long term…my ilk got shouted down…now, SId is 2nd place on ALMOST all Bear’s QB records, except, of course, the one that matters most, NFL CHAMPIONSHIPS, where Sid leads 4-0 (1940,41,43, and 46)…oh, and now those short sighted fans (and media) are all excited about a “game manager” QB, Hoyer, a ball control running game, and a competent Defense…Of course, during Cutler’s disastrous tenure at QB, the Bears squandered the tenures of the Bears’ #2 ALL-TIME RB, Forte, and HOF caliber LBs, Urlacher and Briggs.

41. rivhawk02 says: Oct 4, 2016 5:30 AM

The Bears should have drafted and developed a QB sometime in the past couple years. Its apparent the Bears solution to their QB problems isnt on their roster

42. grumpyoleman says: Oct 4, 2016 12:49 PM

John Fox is a jerk off. He blows as the head coach. Nobody wants to watch his offense pound it into the ground every week. They need to start stroking it down field until the line can create a hole in the D.