Jerry Jones: I didn’t expect us to be 3-1

Getty Images

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones acknowledges that he didn’t think his team could win three of its first four games with Tony Romo sidelined.

Jones said he’s particularly pleased with the way head coach Jason Garrett and his staff have been able to coach up young players like rookie quarterback Dak Prescott and rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott.

“We’ve got a bunch of young guys out there,” Jones said. “We know that we have some guys who will be coming back, but now to some degree we know we can win if they’re not back on time. This is a competitive league. I didn’t expect to do it without Dez, without our left tackle, without key players like Scandrick. It says a lot about our depth. It says a lot about Jason and our coaching. I’m really proud of those guys. They are doing a really good job. They are not looking back. They are lining up with literally who we have at game time. We warm them up out there. If they can go or if they can’t, we find out at warmup. That’s who is going to play.”

After being one of the league’s major disappointments last year, the Cowboys are one of the pleasant surprises of this NFL season. They’re even better than the always-confident Jerry Jones thought they’d be.

67 responses to “Jerry Jones: I didn’t expect us to be 3-1

1. Giants got exposed last night.

That 100 mil guaranteed money the Giants spent on Defense didn’t really pan out…

Cowboys should be 4-0.

You know the real….

2. not surprising…I don’t think anyone, including our die hard fans expected it. its a pleasant surprise to say the least… if we’re still winning I say let dak continue playing, no need upsetting the apple cart

3. here comes the negativity. jerry says what all of us have thought and your going to hate now.

hate at 3-1 all you want. if not for a twill screw up we would have been 4-0. rookies getting it done. love it.

4. no way you screw around with chemistry.
    winning is winning. unless Dakota starts to stink it up
    then you STAY with the Winning formula.

5. Well, Jerry, look in the mirror. That guy in there actually thinks Romo is a top-tier QB, but Romo is no better than average.

If you would’ve used some of the millions you threw at Romo for talent in other positions you would have won a lot more games over the past few years. The question now is, “Now that the two-by-four known as ‘Dak’ has clonked you on the head, are you wise enough to ‘get it’”

6. The second rated offense in the NFL, with a backup rookie quarterback and Dez hurt. 18th rated defense with suspensions and injuries. Obviously one of the NFC teams to beat, unless you don’t know the game of football.

7. Once Romo passes that physical, trade him for whatever you can get…. Restructure and eat some of that ugly contract if need be.

And even if it is a bag of rocks you can get, at least that big contract will be gone, so we can spend on defense…

8. One more vote here for “leave Prescott in permanently” plus a suspicion that’s what they intend to do anyway, meanwhile blowing a little smoke to make Romo feel better.

9. I say no matter what happens we should not put romo back in dak has proven he can get it done and even if we start loosing keep em in this kids going places and romo would b a progress stopper at this point Ive always been a romo fan but I said it once ill say it again romo always has been the second coming of Danny white

10. Does this mean that he realizes the Cowboys are a much better and cohesive unit without Romo and Bryant? Nah, Jerry will screw it up somehow.
    I say let the porcelain doll Romo and crybaby Bryant stay on the sidelines,because this team has some actual chemistry without them.

11. “I didn’t expect it,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I really didn’t expect it.”

Yet he expects Romo to have “at least 5 or 6 good years” left.

I agree that Romo should be the backup at this point.

12. Cowboy fan way over his skis celebrating a 3-1 start with wins over Washington, Chicago and SanFrancisco.
    I’d be more interested to see the opinions after Cincy, @Green Bay, Philly, @Cleveland, @Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, @Minnesota and @NYG.
    Schedule so far not exactly murderers row.

13. The only team in the NFC east to not play a quality opponent yet. You can only beat who you play, but let’s not act like anybody in the this division has done anything yet. For all those if it wasn’t for a stupid play we’d be 4-0 people, don’t forget if it wasn’t for a stupid play by Cousins you would be 2-2.

14. beerbudsnbevo says:
    Oct 4, 2016 9:10 AM
    Giants got exposed last night.

_________________

Giants D went in beat up in the secondary and it showed, it didn’t help that played a team that is really humming right now. If the Vikings stay relatively healthy they won’t just beat the Boys, they will take their lunch money. Wins over a mediocre at best Skins team and 2 bottom feeders are giving not only their fans but now their owner delusions of grandeur

15. If Jerry Jones was smart,he would leave this team exactly as it is. Dak Prescott is doing a great job at QB, doesn’t make bad decisions like Romo. Elliot is the best RB they have had in years. Just leave well enough alone.

16. beerbudsnbevo– You`re on the money with that, this guy is blaming a beat up secondary meanwhile the strength is there pass rush and not to get pressure on a avg oline at best makes me question that 100 Million dollar Giant Defense

17. Why my Bears passed on Dak Prescott with one of their three 4th round picks is mind blowing….
    Instead I see people getting excited about a 31 year old journeyman QB that no one else wanted because he did not throw an interception.
    Not exactly setting the bar very high.

I hate the Cowboys but it seems that they found their starting QB and can now move on from Romo.

18. i’m impressed with how this team has come together–I think the rookies (Dak and Zeke) have a lot to do with that, just natural leaders–speaks volumes about the present state and future of this team. Cowboys fans should feel good about their team.

19. Rest of the NFC East is pathetic and if we get 1 td are 4-0. Dak is the real deal so I say we ride him and Zek to our 6th Lombardi trophy.

Cowboys
    Eagles
    Giants
    4skins

HOW BOUT THOSE COWBOYS!!!!!

20. Cutting Romo after this season is 19.6 million dead cap.

Cutting him after 2017 season is 8.9 million dead cap.

I would say Romo will be in DAL for at least one more year.

I would sit and rest him for as long as DAL is .500 or better. If it starts to fall off, bring him back for the playoffs. Rest him as long as possible.

Could just go with Prescott all season and let Tony heal up and rehab for next year. His final one.

21. How many times have we seen teams start out 4-0 or 5-0 only to crash back to earth once the schedule heats up?

The Cowboys will face some real competition in the upcoming weeks and that’s where we will see what kind of team they really have. Until then, Jerry is better off zipping it, not that he is even capable of shutting his mouth.

22. They’re about to be 3-2. Andy Dalton is 14-4-1 against the NFC. Marvin Lewis has also ruled the NFC. Preskott will get a ride awakening against a real defense.

23. This is why the Cowboys have suffered under Jones – low expectations.

Some teams, no matter what is going on, simply expect to win. They don’t make excuses. They just play with what they have. And win consistently.

24. jjackwagon says:
    Oct 4, 2016 9:37 AM
    Let’s not get to excited, your opponents so far are a combined 6-10.

**********************************************************
    Well…..there is a reason that they are combined 6-10….they were beaten by Dallas 3 times….had they lost they would be a combined 9-7….so that would make them all good teams?

25. They got the easiest schedule in the NFL and play in the worst or 2nd worst division in the NFL, so, yeah, they SHOULD win more games then they lose if they are a decent team (which they are, but how many teams have they beaten with a winning record?). If they can beat the Iggles, then they are legit… Probably just good enough to sneak in as a wild card and lose per usual over the last 20 years.

26. The three teams they’ve beaten have won a combined 4 games. And the team that you lost to stinks.
    Move along, nothing to see here

27. As a Packers fan I’ll sleep just fine with the knowledge that the Packers have four Lombardis
    =================
    I’m really sick of this stuff. I don’t care that my team has zero SB trophies. It must be great to be 3-1. This matters more today than having a dynasty from the 90s (due in part to the worst trade that happened, ever), or winning two super bowls that people didn’t even want to watch (packers fans, read your history if you love counting your dusty old trophies so much).

I know there are a lot of cowboys fans in this thread and all over the country there are great cowboy fans, but does anyone really feel like this team is built to win now? Downvote all you want. Cowboys are decent this year, but nobody really thinks Dak can move the football against the Vikings and Broncos. If Tony comes back remember that the best Romo led teams still came up short in the playoffs.

It sucks that the catch rule screwed you guys. Have you ever gone 15-1 and missed a game winning field goal in the championship game and then a terrible falcons team dance on your home field only to get destroyed in the SB? Let an over rated Seahawks team beat you by one point and watch Richard Sherman tell you that he’s proud of his “team win”? That was disgusting, and that’s what happens to my team all the time.

I know when teams just don’t have enough talent to win it all, when your defense just isn’t good enough to get that Championship. I’ve been watching teams like that since 98. The 16 Boys look like one of those teams. I am not some fair-weather band wagon fan. I’ll watch my team in week 17 when they only have 4 wins, because I always love watching them play football.

28. nflgtcfl says:
    Oct 4, 2016 10:07 AM
    Cutting Romo after this season is 19.6 million dead cap.

Cutting him after 2017 season is 8.9 million dead cap.
    ___________
    If he retires that doesn’t matter

29. Jerry Jones is an idiot? Jerry Jones knows nothing about running an NFL org? Y
    You girlz make me laugh out loud. 3 Super Bowl rings, HOF players galore (some of which asked he induct them) and the most valuable sports franchise on the planet. HOF nominee himself.
    Yeah, Jerry is ruining everything, always has. I wont even speak to the marketing innovations and revenue increases he spearheaded for the entire league. Yeah, he’s a bozo. He should (if he was smart) be taking ownership lessons from the likes of the Rams, Bears, Redskins, Jets, Bills, Bucs, Jags—now, those owners could really show him a thing or two–as likely many of you could as well!!!

30. one more thing for the legions of football know nothings…something is happening in Dallas. A team that knows it does not have the A-list talent is starting to believe, and they are starting to believe because THEY ARE GETTING IT DONE. I am not too excited, because we are still way early in the season. But, I have been watching football for 40 years, when a team starts to really believe and the results of winning area added, you can beat anybody. I like where my team is. We will see after Bengals and Packers where we are. I think we will be 4-2 and on top of the East with the Eagles, whom I expect we will beat both times. (just watch it happen punk)

31. abninf says:
    Oct 4, 2016 9:36 AM
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Or, you know, unless you can read a schedule. Beating up the sisters of the poor doesn’t make you a powerhouse.

32. Not a cowboy fan at all…but, it is apparent a torch is passing in the QB and the RB……Good combo….just leave it alone Jerry…let coach’s coach….. just back off and let them make coach decisions on who comes back or play.

33. t8ertot says:
    Oct 4, 2016 10:01 AM
    You’re going to be 3-2 after you face a real team in the Bengals.
    ***************************************
    Oh ya, the Bunglas look so tough.

SMH.

34. rickndc….Don’t forget Mara in your post!!! I am praying that JJ does get inducted into the HOF as a contributor! As one poster said (I would give credit; however, I do not remember the id of said poster), if JJ gets in, I can’t wait to see heads explode all across these boards!!!!!
    The Bengals will be a good test for us, and I hope we win that one, also. DLaw will be back to help with the D. Carry on ‘Boys 🙂

35. weeteblog says:
    Oct 4, 2016 10:23 AM
    jjackwagon says:
    Oct 4, 2016 9:37 AM
    Let’s not get to excited, your opponents so far are a combined 6-10.

**********************************************************
    *********************************************************
    If that happened, then Dallas would be 0-4. SO… it would certainly make them better than Dallas. Although being better than Dallas is not an automatic qualifier for being “good”.

36. Dallas was fortunate: they played 4 so-so teams, allowing the rookies to get a good look at the NFL game and work on their chemistry with the receivers and offensive line. They may or may not beat Cincy, but they’ll have a much better chance than they would if this had been the first game of the season. Elliot is clearly the RB they hoped they would be. Prescott will have some tough weeks but has shown the qualities to be an NFL starter. I’ll never understand the Romo haters: they say “Well, look at the mistakes in the late-season games and playoffs” when his stellar performances were often why those games were meaningful.

37. jjackwagon says:
    Oct 4, 2016 12:39 PM
    weeteblog says:
    Oct 4, 2016 10:23 AM
    jjackwagon says:
    Oct 4, 2016 9:37 AM
    Let’s not get to excited, your opponents so far are a combined 6-10.

**********************************************************
    *********************************************************

*******************************************************
    Point being, you can only play the teams on your schedule, if youre better than those teams, you beat them. Its a no win situation….if they lose to those teams, the Cowboys suck…if they beat those teams…”Well they havent played anyone.

38. r502 says:
    Oct 4, 2016 9:45 AM
    Schedule so far not exactly murderers row.

***********************************************************
    So, I guess the Eagles fans should be told the same thing….they have wins against the Browns and Bears…..32nd and 29th ranked team, with 1 good win against the Steelers. Again, can only play who is on your schedule.