Calvin Pryor apparently fined $25,000 for hit on Doug Baldwin

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - OCTOBER 02:  Calvin Pryor #25 of the New York Jets collides with Doug Baldwin #89 of the Seattle Seahawks in the first half at MetLife Stadium on October 2, 2016 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images) Getty Images

Jets safety Calvin Pryor apparently took a hard hit from the league for a hard hit on Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin.

Although no fine has yet been confirmed by the league office, Pryor posted a picture on Instagram of himself hitting Baldwin, and added the text, “$25K really? C’mon man.”

Pryor laid the hit on Baldwin just as Baldwin made a 37-yard catch at the Jets’ 10-yard line. Pryor was flagged for unnecessary roughness, a half-the-distance enforcement that gave the Seahawks the ball at the 5-yard line. Seattle scored a touchdown two plays later. Baldwin had also beaten Pryor for a big play earlier on the drive.

The hit looked like Pryor was trying to knock the ball loose, not hit Baldwin in the head, but Pryor did make contact with Baldwin’s helmet just as Baldwin was reaching for the ball, so it’s not surprising that Pryor was fined. Even if Pryor isn’t happy about it.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
8 Responses to “Calvin Pryor apparently fined $25,000 for hit on Doug Baldwin”
  1. jmethane says: Oct 5, 2016 3:17 PM

I’m a Seahawks fan but in the eighties and nineties that would have just been an awesome defensive play and then an even more amazing catch because he somehow held on through that awesome defensive play.

He timed it perfectly. I know those are the rules and they have changed but my old school football self thought that was a great defensive play when it happened.

Doug is a pure stud to have held onto that ball through that hit.

2. Emmanuel Goldstein says: Oct 5, 2016 3:29 PM

Helmet to helmet hit. Refs will call it every time. And the league is right to fine players for it. This isn’t the 80s or 90s anymore no matter how much you want it to be.

3. darthvincent says: Oct 5, 2016 3:37 PM

I guess I missed it because I wasn’t watching…

4. danceformemarionetteboy says: Oct 5, 2016 3:38 PM

Like it or not, the rules are the rules.

5. theweedsthruthetrees says: Oct 5, 2016 4:02 PM

I guess I missed it because I wasn’t watching…
    Yet you’re still here commenting. You can act like you’re protesting the protesting all you want, but you’re still supporting the league.

6. Lemmy Aksyadis says: Oct 5, 2016 4:08 PM

Emmanuel Goldstein says:
    Oct 5, 2016 3:29 PM
    Helmet to helmet hit. Refs will call it every time.

If only that were true……

7. fumblenuts says: Oct 5, 2016 4:12 PM

Doug is one TOUGH dude, just like the ENTIRE team.

8. skawh says: Oct 5, 2016 6:41 PM

I’m glad Doug wasn’t knocked out. That was a bang bang hard hit. And to remain with the ball, DB had some serious focus.

I appreciate the hits from latter decades….I grew up watching the assassin, Raiders George Atkinson.

But you’ve got to stay in the present, and in the present, CTE is a real problem for today’s NFL players.