Washington Redskins strong safety David Bruton (30) tackles Cleveland Browns running back Isaiah Crowell (34) during the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016, in Landover, Md. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster) AP

In the early moments of apologizing for the ill-conceived social media post of a masked man stabbing a police officer in the neck, Browns running back Isaiah Crowell apologized and offered to send his first  game check to the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation.

That check arrived last week, even though foundation president Sergeant Demetrick Pennie said he didn’t want the money. All he had wanted was to develop a relationship with Crowell, to talk to him about the sacrifices police make in communities. So he called Crowell when he saw the check for over $35,000.

“I said, ‘Isaiah, why did you send me a check? I told you you didn’t have to send me a check,”’ Pennie told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “He said, ‘Sarge, I want to do it. I really want to do it.’ I said, ‘okay, alright, you will now be an executive level sponsor. So now, you are a celebrity sponsor of the Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation.”’

Crowell didn’t want to elaborate much about the donation, saying: “I said I was going to do it and I wanted to follow through.”

But while he’s not talking about it, he’s developed a relationship with Pennie through the incident, and made the trip to Dallas for the funeral service of one of the officers. But the two have talked about far more than football and donations in the weeks since.

“Isaiah is like my little brother,” Pennie said. “He’s a long-term sponsor, not necessarily in terms of money, but he’s going to be involved with my foundation, and how I engage him with my widows, and my fallen officer families. That’s where this is going. . . .

“Now he can get out here and play this game without having to worry about the [stress] of whether he’s being politically involved in this or that. Now, he’s able to focus on his career and being a positive role model and that’s what I want him to do.”

Crowell’s also enjoying a career renaissance, with 394 rushing yards so far, which is second in the league. Whether that has anything to do with his off-field actions, he’s taking steps to becoming the kind of player and person the Browns want to have around.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Isaiah Crowell follows through with donation to Dallas Fallen Officer Foundation”
  1. trailerparkking says: Oct 5, 2016 6:51 AM

No kneeling, demonizing police, or disrespecting the military needed to make progress….just two people from two different backgrounds listening to one another and treating each other with respect.
    Kap should be ashamed of himself and anyone who supported his worthless protest should drop him like a bad habit. Observe how reasonable people have resolved their differences and act accordingly.

2. jjb0811 says: Oct 5, 2016 7:29 AM

Good for him. Mistakes happen, owning up shows maturity.

3. tigerwoodsballs says: Oct 5, 2016 7:32 AM

Compare what this Black male posted, to what was posted or said by Curt Schilling, Don Imus, that Mariners catcher, and countless others.

This was WAY WORSE. Yet he received NO PUNISHMENT.

BECAUSE HE IS BLACK.

More examples of Black Privilege

4. haslamdrinkshisownpee says: Oct 5, 2016 7:47 AM

I still don’t want to root for this clown. I don’t want him on my team. Go claim your “second chance” somewhere else.

5. ctiggs says: Oct 5, 2016 8:07 AM

The haters will say the check is fake or that it will bounce.

6. kurdishpats1 says: Oct 5, 2016 8:09 AM

Crowell and Pryor.

2 Browns players that are easy to root for. Quite, humble, and hard working.

7. jasons81 says: Oct 5, 2016 8:35 AM

I love a good redemption story and that’s just what this is. Crowell messed up but he’s stepped up in a big way to fix this situation. Good for him.

8. lightningbuggs says: Oct 5, 2016 8:41 AM

So instead of disrespecting our flag and driving a bigger wedge in our nation’s race relations, Mr. Crowell is having an actual dialogue and developing relationships with the police family.

Taking action…….what a novel concept.

9. patsrule59 says: Oct 5, 2016 12:00 PM

“The haters will say the check is fake or that it will bounce”

——————————————————

No, I’m sure the check is real. It’s the apology that is fake.

10. patsrule59 says: Oct 5, 2016 12:03 PM

This case perfectly illustrates the difference between how blacks and whites are treated.

Crowell makes a vile, racist statement and all he has to do to make things right is to write a check and issue a fake, insincere apology and all is forgiven.

If he were white, this would follow him around forever.

11. mediasloppy says: Oct 5, 2016 3:25 PM

patsrule59 says:
    Oct 5, 2016 12:03 PM

If he were white, this would follow him around forever.
    —————–
    Yeah, that reminds me of two white kids in two different cases both getting probation for rape…

If you can’t see the difference in how race is treated you’re delusional.

12. salsendardo says: Oct 5, 2016 7:59 PM

All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride.