Rex Ryan walks back Aaron Donald jab, compares him to John Randle

Buffalo Bills head coach Rex Ryan talks into the headset on the sideline during the first half of an NFL football game against the New England Patriots Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016, in Foxborough, Mass. (AP Photo/Steven Senne) AP

Realizing that he had put his foot in his mouth, Bills coach Rex Ryan was careful to lavish praise on Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald today.

Donald remains well-aware of the fact Ryan said in 2014 that he couldn’t carry Sheldon Richardson’s jock, but when asked Wednesday in advance of their game against the Rams, Ryan was nothing but complimentary.

I don’t blame him” for still being upset, Ryan said, via Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News. “I never knew the guy. I never even saw him. That was what was said to me [about Donald] so I made the comment.”

Of course, now that Ryan has had a chance to see one of the league’s dominant defensive forces, he realizes that perhaps he can carry undergarments.

“I’m like, ‘Hmmm! After watching him, ohhh, I want to take that back,” Ryan said. “You know me, I make some comments that aren’t really good. That’s one of them.

“This guy’s really good. He reminds me of John Randle. His quickness, change-of-direction, I mean, unusual. You just don’t see it. So, yeah, that probably wasn’t the smartest comment of all time.”

Randle, of course, is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which Ryan will be if they open one for talking.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Los Angeles Rams, Rumor Mill
36 Responses to “Rex Ryan walks back Aaron Donald jab, compares him to John Randle”
  1. valentino8100 says: Oct 5, 2016 1:06 PM

What’s that in Ryan’s mouth?

2. margoadams says: Oct 5, 2016 1:10 PM

Good Luck Buffalo! Rex Ryan’s Shelf Life Has Just About Expired

3. urmomsmyho says: Oct 5, 2016 1:17 PM

It’s never Rex’s fault.
    Now whenever he makes a statement of opinion do we need to ask follow-up questions like:
    “is this your opinion or did someone else tell you what to say?”
    he is so clueless.

4. nhpats says: Oct 5, 2016 1:18 PM

Rex and Buffalo won their SB last week. Nothing else matters….

5. metalup666 says: Oct 5, 2016 1:18 PM

Glad he owned up to his mistake, and that is don’t believe everything other people tell you about someone else. Find out for yourself.

6. 345snarkavenue says: Oct 5, 2016 1:19 PM

Maybe Rex has a list of players that carry other players’ jocks. I’d like to know who they are because those are people I never want to shake hands with.

7. jag1959 says: Oct 5, 2016 1:20 PM

“You know me, I make some comments that aren’t really good. That’s one of them. This guy’s really good. So, yeah, that probably wasn’t the smartest comment of all time.”

Well he may have been ‘misinformed’ about Donald but he is spot on there.

8. q1ller says: Oct 5, 2016 1:23 PM

Maybe Ryan can work as a Trump surrogate when he gets fired.

9. Grulks says: Oct 5, 2016 1:32 PM

I used to like Rex’s brashness when he first became head coach of the Jets. And when he took them to back to back AFC champ games (despite Sanchez), I was impressed that he turned an itrelevant franchise into a competitive one.

But aince then he has done nothing, except run his mouth and not back it up.

He really needs to just shut the hell up, and focus on being a better coach instead of talking a bunch of nonsense

10. shadywarrior says: Oct 5, 2016 1:38 PM

We give Rex a hard time here in New England, and maybe it’s just allowing bragging rights til the 30th when the Pats see them again that’s making me say this, but I think it’s commendable when anyone goes out of their way to make things right. He made a stupid off handed comment once, now he’s seen the guy, he earned his respect, and he set the record straight. Rex runs his mouth, but that’s just who he is. Wouldn’t want him coaching my team necessarily, but he’s out there having his own brand of fun. It’s whatever, he keeps things interesting.

11. trebla72 says: Oct 5, 2016 1:46 PM

valentino8100 says:
    Oct 5, 2016 1:06 PM
    What’s that in Ryan’s mouth?
    —————————————-

His wife’s foot?

12. aquineas1 says: Oct 5, 2016 1:51 PM

valentino8100 says:
    Oct 5, 2016 1:06 PM
    What’s that in Ryan’s mouth?
    ———————————-

I love this so much.

13. avikesfan says: Oct 5, 2016 1:58 PM

My favorite viking EVER.

14. buffalosunshine says: Oct 5, 2016 1:58 PM

Pats will lose to Cleveland.. this week. That is all.

15. ajg314 says: Oct 5, 2016 2:07 PM

Why can’t some people learn that you can compliment one person (Sheldon Richardson) without disrespecting another person (Aaron Donald)? In the same way, why can’t some learn that you can advocate one thing without disrespecting another thing?

16. aquineas1 says: Oct 5, 2016 2:13 PM

buffalosunshine says:
    Oct 5, 2016 1:58 PM
    Pats will lose to Cleveland.. this week. That is all.
    ——————————————————–

I can understand rooting for a team or wanting a result, but there’s also trying to retain some semblance of reality. There’s no way whatsoever this will happen.

17. firecracker87 says: Oct 5, 2016 2:21 PM

“You know me, I make some comments that aren’t really good. That’s one of them.”
    —————————————————

That right there should tell any owner that he’s not the guy for the job.

18. skoobyfl says: Oct 5, 2016 2:22 PM

Keep winning Rex, then your babble because witty charm.

19. nhpats says: Oct 5, 2016 2:27 PM

buffalosunshine says:
    Oct 5, 2016 1:58 PM
    Pats will lose to Cleveland.. this week. That is all.

————-

LOL! Thanks for the hearty laugh!

20. thescooterscore says: Oct 5, 2016 2:28 PM

what, was “couldn’t hold sheldon’s jock” in the pre-draft scouting report?

21. imodan says: Oct 5, 2016 2:33 PM

Grulks says:
    Oct 5, 2016 1:32 PM

But aince then he has done nothing, except run his mouth and not back it up.

—————————————————————
    Those Jets teams were built by Mangini. I hate Mangini. But the truth is Rex had it dismantled within 3 years and the results speak for themselves. Fast forward to Rex taking over a top defense last year and turning it into, well, a not so good defense. Rex’s team beat a 3rd string QB with a thumb on his throwing hand that didn’t work. Typical Rex he can’t help but spout off nonsense. Reality slaps his foolishness away for at least a week when they walk into L.A. Coliseum, chest’s all puffed out, and limp out with tails between legs after losing to the Rams. It’s just what Rex’s teams do.

22. foodiefoodnerd says: Oct 5, 2016 2:35 PM

Trash talking in fun that doesn’t cross the line, between fans of rival teams, and even players while competing, makes the game even more enjoyable.

But I’ve never understood the point of actually trashing your opponent to the point of disrespect.
    Just how terrible are they, and how very little did you accomplish by defeating them? You’re telling us your job requires what miniscule amount of talent and skill, exactly??

23. imodan says: Oct 5, 2016 2:38 PM

buffalosunshine says:
    Oct 5, 2016 1:58 PM
    Pats will lose to Cleveland.. this week. That is all.
    ————————————————————–
    Whoa! Put down the celebratory bottle dude. I get you guys think you won the SB last week but the binging ended on Sunday night. 12 more games to go starting in L.A. That should sober you up. I do love your sense of humor though.

24. fishyinalittledishy says: Oct 5, 2016 2:43 PM

I am not a big Rexter fan by any stretch but maybe we have to lighten up and get over ourselves. He’s a football coach it’s not a proper job, it’really doesn’t matter. Look at Belacheats, he acts as if he really is important, like he is above everybody else, treats journalists like children who are just trying to do a job. He gets away with it because he wins and is the best in the business, but its no way to behave. Ok I get pissed if my team loses and that happens quite a lot but its a game people it’s suppose to be fun. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter. So let’s have some fun and be stupid.

25. bradygirl12 says: Oct 5, 2016 2:44 PM

Ryan is a meathead.

26. mswravens says: Oct 5, 2016 2:51 PM

Can’t say I’m a Rex fan – although I appreciate his prior work with & contributions to the Ravens. That said, I give the guy credit. He said something dumb. He owned it and fixed his opinion. I thought we’ve all had enough of political candidates speaking out of both sides of their mouths. Lets give credit for being able to say “I was wrong” or “I did something stupid.” Now I’m going to fix it.

Of course, I also understand those who would say as much, but for Rex’s tendency to say stupid things and to be wrong so often!

27. hawkstradamus says: Oct 5, 2016 3:05 PM

East coast bias. They don’t know about anything except their own thing out there.

28. connfyoozed says: Oct 5, 2016 3:08 PM

It is really dumb to comment on a guy’s playing ability when you admit that you had never seen him play at the time you made the comment. And apology or not, I am not the least bit surprised that Ryan would do something like that.

29. jjackwagon says: Oct 5, 2016 3:09 PM

Realizing that he had put his foot in his mouth…

I am sure there was a foot in his mouth and I am equally sure it wasn’t his.

30. MichaelEdits says: Oct 5, 2016 4:16 PM

Ryan couldn’t use the “taken out of context” defense, so he used a variant on the “someone else put the cocaine in my wallet” defense. Remind me again who said he’s a genius on defense? Oh, right. He said it himself.

31. j0esixpack says: Oct 5, 2016 5:06 PM

Donald better be on guard – Rex is probably telling one of his coaches to trip and injure him during a sideline coverage play as we speak

How is this guy still coaching in the NFL?

As soon as he “guaranteed” Sanchez would win a Super Bowl for the Jets he should have been banned from football for undermining the development of yet another QB

32. gromit45 says: Oct 5, 2016 5:10 PM

I’d still nominate Bellichek for the coach’s talk HoF cuz even though he doesn’t say much it is interesting when he opens up a little.

33. jjg614 says: Oct 5, 2016 6:31 PM

I agree pats will lose in cleveland,anytime you have everybody in the world saying oh this team is going to kill this other team the opposite happens, especially with TOM BRADY returning for suspension,so don’t be shocked if it is close and cleveland pulls it out.

34. beauregard says: Oct 5, 2016 7:01 PM

Rex owned the comment and then apologized.
    That in itself is more than about 50% of NFL fans could/would do. To jump a guy after he’s apologized is a total lack of class.

35. dwilkinson1968 says: Oct 7, 2016 10:59 AM

That’s high praise comparing Donald to John Randle. Randle was incredible – he brought consistent pass rush pressure from the DT spot. Almost unheard of these days. What a luxury to have on your defense!

36. jsbills55 says: Oct 7, 2016 1:13 PM

I love the Rex hate. I love the Bills hate.
    Going back 2 years to find a Rex quote for the Rams game. Some good researchers there!
    First off, we know these comments come from either bewildered Jets fans or self-absorbed Pats** fans.

You know what I like even better?
    We don’t care. Rex don’t care, the Bills don’t care and I don’t care. Your bleatings are music to our ears. We know the media and fans of other teams will never like us, so what?
    When the Bills come into your house and shut you out and Marcell Dareus up and bodyslams your QB to the turf you will hate us even more.