Trent Cole, Reggie Wayne have war of words

Reggie Wayne AP

After former Colts receiver Reggie Wayne criticized the team’s front office for failing to put good enough teammates around Andrew Luck, one of Luck’s teammates fired back.

Colts defensive end Trent Cole wrote on Facebook that he doesn’t appreciate Wayne’s criticism.

“I don’t respond to media, but I can’t stand people who think they know whats going on like he is in the building amongst us,” Cole wrote. “So don’t use my name ever again because if you do, these things you will take back them words of time I was playing. I stay in my lane, because I’m here for my team. This goes for everybody and certainly Reggie Wayne. Reggie I have all respect for you, you will always be a Colt for life. I know you are mad about what you are seeing but this is not the way to talk about the team who gave you opportunity!”

Appearing on NFL Network this afternoon, Wayne insisted that although he’s not in the building, he follows the Colts closely and knows what he’s seeing.

“I watch all their games. I woke up at 9 o’clock last week to watch a 9:30 game in London. I’m still watching these guys,” Wayne said. “I want Robert Mathis to do well. I want D’Qwell Jackson to do well. I love [Adam] Vinatieri — he’s looking younger every year. I want those guys to have an opportunity.”

But Wayne believes that Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson hasn’t brought in enough young talent to go with Luck and those veterans he mentioned. And Wayne will keep pressing that point, even if it ruffles some feathers in Indianapolis.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Trent Cole, Reggie Wayne have war of words”
  1. mrwhite07 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:29 PM

A first round pick…almost ANY team would have picked him if he got past the Colts in 2001. Colts didn’t do crap but draft him. Good for you Reggie to call out your former team!!!

2. 12coltsfan12 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:32 PM

and my colts are officially a dumpster fire😥

3. snowdood163 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:33 PM

Glad he could drag himself out of bed by 9 am. Impressive.

4. sdchicken says: Oct 5, 2016 4:33 PM

Reggie is 100% correct. Not sure what Cole is so fired up about. The offensive line and defense have not improved since drafting Luck. Pretty bland, obvious observation to me.

5. mataug says: Oct 5, 2016 4:34 PM

I woke up at 9 o’clock last week
    what a fan!

6. hanspard says: Oct 5, 2016 4:35 PM

Wayne is doing his job. Period. Quit complaining.

7. crush22 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:35 PM

That’s a war of words?
    C’mon Man!

8. pheelingphine says: Oct 5, 2016 4:36 PM

Must be hard waking up at 9AM.

9. kcchefs58 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:37 PM

Trash comments. Trash org. Trash…

10. kane337 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:38 PM

Reggie Wayne was right. Trent Cole got hurt fillings.

11. bryonneufeld says: Oct 5, 2016 4:38 PM

It’s interesting that teams with ‘franchise’ QBs aren’t a lock to be good anymore, but teams with top-calibers defenses seem to be. Possibly a shift back toward defense in the NFL.

12. judalation says: Oct 5, 2016 4:39 PM

Well Is he right or not? Many fans are saying the same thing… the Colts have been just as bad as the Browns in drafting recently!

13. jonwill57 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:40 PM

Maybe Wayne’s still mad cause they bought in Johnson to take his spot. Reggie does have a point…out of all the FAs from last year, Gore is the only one really doing anything. But Reggie is also guilty of what 99% of former players do when they join the media…they criticize their old team.

14. jonwill57 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:41 PM

WAR OF WORDS!! A disagreement, yes…but not a WAR OF WORDS!!

15. factschecker says: Oct 5, 2016 4:42 PM

——
    I bet he wouldn’t have minded had it been a complementary statement.

16. rolf1015 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:43 PM

“All the Indianapolis Colts want is a completely level playing field,” Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson wrote in one of the emails that instigated “#DeflateGate.

Hey Grigson – how’s that level playing field working for you now?

17. mmack66 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:44 PM

kane337 says:
    Oct 5, 2016 4:38 PM

Reggie Wayne was right. Trent Cole got hurt fillings.
    —————————-

He’d better get to the dentist.

18. bonitalocal says: Oct 5, 2016 4:44 PM

Wayne wasn’t good enough to cut it as a Patriot, but he was one of the Colts’ best players, so maybe they should listen to him.
    Luck is overrated, not bad, but overrated, but he is also surrounded by crappy players, and has two morons as Head Coach and G.M.. Not to mention an owner that thinks it is good idea to hang participation banners.
    If I was running that team….the first thing that I would do is take that banner down and burn it. I can’t imagine any of those players appreciate having to play underneath that humiliating thing.
    So, who cares about who is right in this Twitter war of the Colts?
    If you can’t win in the AFC South…..

19. antoniobutterscotchmd says: Oct 5, 2016 4:45 PM

“So don’t use my name ever again because if you do, these things you will take back them words of time I was playing.”

Ummmmmmmmm, what?

20. phinland says: Oct 5, 2016 4:45 PM

Waking up at 9am on a Sunday is considered early now? Maybe when you’re a multi-millionaire.

Having said that…Wayne is 100% spot on. No idea how Ryan Grigson has held the job he has for this long now, the guy clearly has zero clue when it comes to building a football team. Just because you inherit the #1 overall pick AKA Luck doesn’t mean you know what you’re doing. The offensive line is still terrible as is the defense. Grigson as well as Pagano should of both been fired before this season.

21. remembertheagenda says: Oct 5, 2016 4:45 PM

What is ironic is that Reggie Wayne has contributed more to this team this year not being on it then Trent Cole has getting paid by the team to do absolutely nothing.

Trent, you have been here for 2 years and done nothing. You have nothing to say to Reggie Wayne who is one of the all-time greats and a future hall-of-famer

22. Lemmy Aksyadis says: Oct 5, 2016 4:47 PM

Yep, I love D’Qwell also. The only non-patriot who told the truth in the whole disgusting pile of defecate known as Framegate.

Interesting that his admission that he never mentioned a soft ball was completely overlooked by the sting team in place at the AFCCG or at 345 Park Ave.

I wonder why that was?

23. andymannfl says: Oct 5, 2016 4:50 PM

The fact that this got under Trent’s skin says a lot about how thin-skinned he is more than anything else. Wayne’s comments were nothing to take such offense to and Wayne doesn’t need to be “in the building” to observe the games and comment intelligently.

24. liontuss says: Oct 5, 2016 4:50 PM

On NFL Sundays, I personally get up at the crack of noon.

25. idiedpretty says: Oct 5, 2016 4:51 PM

LOL! Cole sucking up for the boss, dats all.

26. xavier179 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:51 PM

Reggie, you are retired, your opinion does not matter.

27. playedthegame32 says: Oct 5, 2016 4:52 PM

Grigson has failed miserably in every aspect. Even his free agent signings have been horrible. Signs cromartie for 3 million for 4 games. Trent Cole has 3 sacks in 2 years at * million a season. If Belichick coached this team it would still suck because the roster is garbage. Its not about the X’s and O’s (schemes) …Its about the Jimmys and the Joes (players)…The Colt cub bard is bare!!

28. idiedpretty says: Oct 5, 2016 4:53 PM

Is Grigson still sleeping with Irsay’s daughter? FACT! Now you know why he is still there. Google it!

29. bonitalocal says: Oct 5, 2016 4:56 PM

Wayne wasn’t good enough to cut it as a Patriot, but as he was one of the Colts’ best players… maybe they should listen to him.
    Luck is overrated, but not bad.
    He is surrounded by crappy players, and has morons as Head Coach and G.M.. and an owner that thinks it is good idea to hang participation banners.
    If I was running that team….the first thing that I would do is take that banner down and burn it. I can’t imagine any of those players feels like a man, having to play underneath that humiliating thing.
    Who cares about who is right in this little Twitter war?
    If you can’t win in the AFC South…..You can’t win anywhere.

30. trainwrecksryan says: Oct 5, 2016 4:56 PM

Ummmmmmmmm, what?

………………………………………………………………………………

Let me try:

“So don’t use my name ever again because if you do, you will want to take back all those words you said regarding the Colts during the time I played for them”

????

31. chicagosportsfan11 says: Oct 5, 2016 5:00 PM

Shut your mouf Trent

32. montrealraider says: Oct 5, 2016 5:05 PM

Wayne is just doing his job… Its part of the game in the NFL. Do well get praised, do bad get criticized.. former team member or not. I dont get why Cole takes it so personnal, he should do his talking on the field not social media.

33. celticsforever says: Oct 5, 2016 5:06 PM

I think a lot of you are missing hi point Re: got up at 9am to watch the game. …

It was a bit of backhanded compliment to the nfl. Seriously… did anyone get up to watch the Colts v the Jags in London?

34. j0esixpack says: Oct 5, 2016 5:08 PM

Reggie Wayne might want to be a bit more humble himself

If not for having the good luck of having to face Rex Grossman in the Super Bowl, he and the Colts would be looking at another “Participant” banner hanging up

35. brady2gronktd says: Oct 5, 2016 5:12 PM

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS NFL PARTICIPANT 2016/2017

36. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 5, 2016 5:14 PM

reggie is still mad about being not being re-signed by the Colts in 2015.

That said… the Colts front office is hot garbage.

37. danceformemarionetteboy says: Oct 5, 2016 5:19 PM

I suspect this ends the debate about who is better, Luck or Wilson.

38. Bubbalicious says: Oct 5, 2016 5:19 PM

Luck highest paid player in the NFL, is it ever his fault? Is it reasonable to, you know, expect a little more out of him even if his line sucks?

39. j0esixpack says: Oct 5, 2016 5:21 PM

You gotta wonder if one of the other Irsay sisters is egging Wayne on to call out Grigson – seeing as the GM is dating the owner’s daughter

That may even beg the question as to why Grigson is still there

We watched the Colts “Suck for Luck” – Bill Polian’s golden parachute to the team that no doubt gave him a generous golden parachute…

Then with limited experience, they hire a youthful Grigson, who’s really done nothing aside from execute drafting in the Suck for Luck – and then we find that Grigson just so happens to be dating an Irsay daughter

The nepotism of father/daughter/boyfriend/GM doesn’t seem to be working too well in Indy

40. administrator says: Oct 5, 2016 5:42 PM

No Colt cares what a former Patriot, Reggie Wayne cares.

41. buffalosunshine says: Oct 5, 2016 5:45 PM

does he realize that everyone on the West Coast has to wake up at 9 to watch the games at 10? People in Hawaii got every East coast game coming on at 7AM every week? He is right though. People should be calling out the GM. You pay a QB all the money and hire nothing around him? Old players or sub par players is all you can afford…see Drew Brees and the Saints for details.

42. rodgerstonelson says: Oct 5, 2016 6:02 PM

The only thing Trent Cole has brought to the Colts. Is the ability to cash a unearned check.

43. anarchopurplism says: Oct 5, 2016 6:12 PM

Oh snap…..its on!

44. 12444uggg says: Oct 5, 2016 6:22 PM

Colts legend Trent Cole… oh wait..

Yeah, Reggie said it. Colts fans have known this for 3 years now. Grigson can’t draft. Pagano doesn’t get the most out of his guys. The isn’t a coherent identity to either side of the ball. The offense should have one.

They’d better beat the Bears and the Texans or this season goes splat on the windshield for real.

45. voiceofrealism says: Oct 5, 2016 6:26 PM

Players speak…and remove all doubt.

46. struckgold49er says: Oct 5, 2016 6:45 PM

Well, the WWE element is finally becoming visible in the NFL!!! It’s about time the NFL figured out what fans already know… The only person missing during this “war of words” is Mean Gene Okerlund!!

47. indymo33 says: Oct 5, 2016 7:25 PM

It’s true. All true. And cole has done nothing. Grigson sucks the life out of the building. I saw him in the field and I wanted to throw a football through the tv like Russell Wilson in the Madden commercial.

Reggie was spot on. 17 tackles in under 20 games. Cole has done nothing but get a check and go hunting…and not on the football field either.

We have swung and missed many times and Reggie pointed them all out. Truth hurts.

48. td30 says: Oct 5, 2016 7:37 PM

“I dont respond to the media…”

*immediately responds to the media*

49. sumkat says: Oct 5, 2016 7:50 PM

mrwhite07 says:
    Oct 5, 2016 4:29 PM

____________

That’s not true! They didn’t just pick him, they also made the decision to tank in order to get him

50. chippys lost binky says: Oct 5, 2016 7:58 PM

Well if you are going to get into it with a former Colts wideout better it be Wayne than Harrison.
    Cole may think Wayne was shooting off his mouth but we all know Harrison is a bit more serious when it comes to shooting something.

51. tonebones says: Oct 5, 2016 8:21 PM

Reggie Wayne is dumber than dumb. The worst guy on the field is his buddy Robert Mathis. If Reggie wants to help out the team, he should volunteer to come in one day and be the guy that gives Mathis his walking papers.

52. nsideindy says: Oct 5, 2016 8:48 PM

idiedpretty says:
    Oct 5, 2016 4:53 PM

________________________________________
    I googled it…but didn’t find anything. Please share the link!

Grigson is horrible. Is there one position that has been upgraded (other than QB and maybe RB) since he took over?

53. tommy555657 says: Oct 5, 2016 11:13 PM

Was it worth throwing away a whole season for a crap quaterback? You should have kept noodle arm another couple of seasons.

54. txmidnite says: Oct 5, 2016 11:36 PM

“I woke up at 9 o’clock last week to watch a 9:30 game…” … the sacrifice and the struggle is real.